Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

I think we should get a MONSTROPOLIS land similar to Carsland in the backlot based off of the Disney-Pixar Monsters films, which make a lot of money. The same thing with one street and 2 smaller attractions towards the front, and the E-TICKET in the back of the street/land. The whole theme is that the Monsters have a 'Human Appreciation Day' (or something along those lines) and invite you to see their city and to show their gratitude.

The street-mosphere of the bustling monster city would be fantastic with tons of hidden magic that only Disney can make and Pixar can imagine. There can be monster cars parked in the street which could be really fun and unique, and also in the image linked has an eye poking out of a window. With that, we can have at-random monsters doing things that you can see from the window (projections on some windows).

The main attraction would be an e-ticket 'The Door Vaulter' in which is a suspended roller coaster through the factory but mostly the door vault. It would have good-looking Sulley and Mike animatronics, and the queue would be around the factory, and there would be something like 'Mr. Potato Head' but a bit more interactive but with Roz. The end of the ride will lead you to a factory gift shop with post-cards, toys, and such. The coaster would be inside a large factory building (picture is linked).

Another attraction would be the relocated 'Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor' which will be practically the same ride but just changed a lot. The premise is that for the first time in company history, they are opening a second location for laughs. You are invited inside to see the new facility so in the queue you're touring the new laugh floor and then you sit down to see the new theater set-up, but when an error happens you're locked inside a room with no power with Mike Wazowski (now an animatronic) and his monster friends (still digital). So to open the doors he must make you laugh and get power so you guys can leave.

Another store would be 'The Joke Room' or something around the lines of a joke prop-house that sells joke books, magic tricks, gags, and more.

The main dining restaurant would be 'HarryHausens' a quick service restaurant like the film's restaurant.

The final attraction would be a 'Monsters University Campus Tour' which could be a dark-ride of the latest film which is themed to a golf-cart tour of the prestigious college. The queue starts off when you enter the campus gates (concept art provided) . There isn't much detail to put on the ride now, because the film hasn't came out yet but the movie focuses on Mike and Sulley and how they became friends. The exit area of the ride will lead you into the campus bookstore where you can shop Monsters University inspired apparel and things (like lettermans or notebooks, pens, keychains, hoodies that say 'Property of Monsters University est. 1886', which have lots of school supplies and t-shirts).

Monstropolis Map (the map doesn't have the dark ride in it, the dark ride would be in Monsters University patio)

What do you think? 1 e-ticket, 2 d-tickets, 3 fun stores (Joke store, Bookstore, and regular store), and 1 restaurant from one of Pixar's best selling properties.

I LOVE this Idea!! Wonderful!! I always thought they needed to do something like this to take the place of DCA's Carsland here in DHS. DHS don't need a copy of a land, but an entirely newly imagined Monsters Inc. land. Afterall, the hype for the movies will hit a all time high when the new film comes out next spring. Go ahead and get a head-start on a new land! :)

NoChesterHester

Cars Land works because it embodies nostalgia in the form of a bygone era of Americana, a spectacular unique landscape, and fantastic characters possible to replicate in a real environment.

I love Monsters Inc, watched it today actually, but I don't get the same impression from Monstropolis that I do from Radiator Springs. It is like a version of the lower east side of manhattan with Monster themed gags. That isn't the environment that needs the big land. Unless Monsters University introduces us to something else more compelling.

Here is my idea; extend Pixar Place to take over what should be the Bug's Life Playzone and retheme New York Street to Monstropolis.

Jedeye80

As much as I like the idea of a monster inc themed land something tells me that carlsand would be more TDO friendly becouse of the merchandise it sells. I've just watched world of colour on YouTube, and while I don't want fantasmic to go this show would be great at DHS or any park in WDW, truly stunning.

NoChesterHester

As much as I like the idea of a monster inc themed land something tells me that carlsand would be more TDO friendly becouse of the merchandise it sells. I've just watched world of colour on YouTube, and while I don't want fantasmic to go this show would be great at DHS or any park in WDW, truly stunning.

The Studios version of Fantasmic is easily the worst of the three versions. Sad too because they have a lovely venue for it.

I'd take any variant of World Of Color any day.

Chuckles

I'd love to see an indiana jones temple of doom mine roller coaster, imagine entering pankot palace, stand by could go through the palace and secret passage, recreating the movie scenes with some of the more extreme parts toned down a bit, i'd love to see chilled monkey brains on the table, but it might be a bit much for most folks...
RSR modified to a pod racing ride from stars wars would be pretty sweet as well...

Patricia Melton

I just saw this report on DHS over on another site: http://.com/archives/9719

About 80% of it has been talked about and posted here before, but the writer made some nice images of what he thinks the expansion of DHS will entail. He says in no certain terms that the Carsland at DCA is going to be cloned for DHS.

I'm disappointed in that, because I think that DHS needs a Cars area but it needs to be different from Radiator Springs (which is already at Art of Animation resort anyway). Surely there can be another Cars-inspired area with a different look.

It does seem like the ugly moon bounce Sorcerer's Hat is coming down, but this writer also says that the Chinese Theater is being torn down and instead a Carthay Circle is going to be built as the entrance to the Great Movie Ride. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as why would Disney take the new icon for DCA and clone it in Florida?

That would be odd.

The writer also says that there will be a few little Star Wars and Muppets additions to DHS but the big addition will be the Monsters Inc roller coaster and Carsland. Looks like DHS is going to just be "Pixar Park" and they are going to go cheap with the Star Wars area as they don't think it will be popular much longer, which is weird because it's been popular for 30 years and I doubt it will stop being popular for another 30.

I don't know how accurate is but I'm skeptical of a lot in this report because it really just seems like he thinks they're going to take all the plans from DCA and rebuild them in Florida. Not sure why Disney would do that as I think it would jeopardize the success of DCA.

Also, another interesting note in the article is that the writer thinks that John Lasseter will be given control of the DHS remodeling instead of being made CEO of Disney, so this is the consolation prize.

What do you think of the news in this article?

FrankLapidus

Someone posted that article in another thread and it seems that its basically made up of tentative plans combined with unfounded rumours created on the internet. I'd take a lot of it with a pinch of salt right now, it doesn't sound like the Chinese Theatre facade is going anywhere just yet while the insiders who first posted about Carsland to DHS have said it would be a scaled-down version rather than the full land. And it wouldn't be a DHS rumour without some Star Wars and Muppets ;).

Cody5294

What I don't get is that everyone is saying Avatar isn't family friendly with all of the violence in the film. Now some of you guys are saying a middle earth section would be awesome. Ummmm lord of the rings is not family friendly last time I saw the films. It would be a successful land but Avatar is way more family friendly than Lord of the rings

Bairstow

I'd say Avatar and Lord of the Rings are equally PG-13.
If we're really playing the "family friendly" card, there's all kinds of shootings and hangings and stabbings and whatnot in the Pirates movies, and they're not even good.

Not that I'm a huge Avatar fan, but I don't see the Lord of the Rings universe translating that well into a large-scale theme park attraction area. That world, as portrayed in the Jackson movies is mostly based on huge vistas and are on such a scale that they just couldn't work without actually putting the guests on an airplane and flying them to New Zealand.

For this reason you can build, say, the Ewok tree village in your theme park and have it look halfway decent, but something like Hobbiton just wouldn't work.

Texas84

What I don't get is that everyone is saying Avatar isn't family friendly with all of the violence in the film. Now some of you guys are saying a middle earth section would be awesome. Ummmm lord of the rings is not family friendly last time I saw the films. It would be a successful land but Avatar is way more family friendly than Lord of the rings
Same with Potter. But the appeal is obviously there. I don't think Avatar has the wide appeal to all age groups. But I could be wrong.

Jedeye80

I think the lord of the rings has an appeal that goes far beyond that of avatar, but can't we be greedy, avatar in DAK and a middle earth in DHS. Now that is a dream, even though I know that LOTR will never appear in a Disney park doesn't stop a man from dreaming.

Although everyone here is chanting in angry mob "remove the giant hat!", I actually like the hat. I don't think that it is correctly placed, but I still like it. (that's probably because I am a Fantasia fan, but anyway) I think that the hat should not be removed, but transplanted. Possibly somewhere else in the park? Idk, but I like that hat, and it IS the biggest representation of the icon in any Disney area.... but Disney made the wrong choice of placing it in front of the Chinese Theatre....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom