Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

tomman710

Um, another website has a pretty amazing rumor section right now.
I know there are some sites we're not supposed to talk about, not sure if that is one.
I don't understand that, anyway.

But, wow . . . .for DHS:

CarsLand
CARTHAY CIRCLE replaces Chinese Theatre/includes new dining
refurb to Great Movie ride
Monsters, Inc
MOS EISLEY Cantina
NEW ROAD WITH Trolley cars
New Theatre.
New Dining
New Jedi Training Academy.
Oh, and new Muppets eating place

Interesting that this has been up for a day now and none of the experts have debunked it ... of course they have lives too but still ...

GLaDOS

Interesting that this has been up for a day now and none of the experts have debunked it ... of course they have lives too but still ...

Actually they have, in another thread. Someone from another site posted that, and the insiders here said most was wishful thinking and not what's being looked at.

Bairstow

The more I think about it, the harder it is to understand why there isn't a Mos Eisley Cantina restaurant at MGM, especially after Universal started using the Three Broomsticks as a license to print money. It would be such a no-brainer- all the thing has to be is a Mexican restaurant with some copper plumbing hanging down from the ceiling and a jazz band playing in Halloween masks.

Serve some naan bread, put together a soda fountain serving weird "alien" flavors like marionberry or lychee or whatever and watch the money roll in.

RandySavage

As I read this thread and other similar threads, it occurs to me that we have the makings of a fun little contest here. I've seen several suggestions for what some people would do to update DHS if they were in charge, some in just textual descriptions and a handful with mocked up maps. I think it'd be awesome if we did some at-home imagineering and come up with some detailed plans for what we think DHS should be.

I'm game. Here's my entry:
Illustrative+-+DHS+-+SWW.PNG

Big version in signature link.

I went for wow factor over realism. Working studio theme permanently retired. Lands based on Film Genres: Classic; Film Noir; Adventure & Scifi; Comedy (muppets); Fantasy; Comic Book Films, etc.

Thought a large Middle Earth section would provide a pastoral respite from a very urban park. ME setting is around the time of The Hobbit (major Necromancer/Dol Guldur dark ride, Lonely Mountain flume with fire-breath Smaug (masking RnR showbuilding), family outdoor boat ride, and a couple spinners. After that it's a checklist of what so many have imagined (Lucas Land with new Star Wars and Indy rides, Muppet expansion, major Pixar expansion, Walt Disney Animation section with "Great Animation Ride"-type ride). I put in the dis-allowed Marvel Superhero City (incorporating LMA, Streets of America form approach) assuming one day Dis could buy back the rights. Car entry road/tolls would have to be moved west.

The Hat is sunk off Castaway Key to form an artificial reef for sea life.

jensenrick

I'm game. Here's my entry:
Illustrative+-+DHS+-+SWW.PNG

Big version in signature link.

I went for wow factor over realism. Working studio theme permanently retired. Lands based on Film Genres: Classic; Film Noir; Adventure & Scifi; Comedy (muppets); Fantasy; Comic Book Films, etc.

Thought a large Middle Earth section would provide a pastoral respite from a very urban park. ME setting is around the time of The Hobbit (major Necromancer/Dol Guldur dark ride, Lonely Mountain flume with fire-breath Smaug (masking RnR showbuilding), family outdoor boat ride, and a couple spinners. After that it's a checklist of what so many have imagined (Lucas Land with new Star Wars and Indy rides, Muppet expansion, major Pixar expansion, Walt Disney Animation section with "Great Animation Ride"-type ride). I put in the dis-allowed Marvel Superhero City (incorporating LMA, Streets of America form approach) assuming one day Dis could buy back the rights. Car entry road/tolls would have to be moved west.

The Hat is sunk off Castaway Key to form an artificial reef for sea life.

LOVE the Middle Earth section, I sure wish that would happen. Although I think it's only slightly more likely than Superhero City- by which I mean, not at all.

jensenrick

IMHO, I would love to see the incredibly dated and lame "Backstage tour" (including that "canyon" if needed) gets bulldozed and replaced with a proven hit that is, evidently, extremely fun - Carsland, with Radiator Springs Racers.
Seeing the vids of that ride is the first time I've been interested in visiting Disneyland, and I'd love to see it here in Florida.

Turtle

I think we should get a MONSTROPOLIS land similar to Carsland in the backlot based off of the Disney-Pixar Monsters films, which make a lot of money. The same thing with one street and 2 smaller attractions towards the front, and the E-TICKET in the back of the street/land. The whole theme is that the Monsters have a 'Human Appreciation Day' (or something along those lines) and invite you to see their city and to show their gratitude.

The street-mosphere of the bustling monster city would be fantastic with tons of hidden magic that only Disney can make and Pixar can imagine. There can be monster cars parked in the street which could be really fun and unique, and also in the image linked has an eye poking out of a window. With that, we can have at-random monsters doing things that you can see from the window (projections on some windows).

The main attraction would be an e-ticket 'The Door Vaulter' in which is a suspended roller coaster through the factory but mostly the door vault. It would have good-looking Sulley and Mike animatronics, and the queue would be around the factory, and there would be something like 'Mr. Potato Head' but a bit more interactive but with Roz. The end of the ride will lead you to a factory gift shop with post-cards, toys, and such. The coaster would be inside a large factory building (picture is linked).

Another attraction would be the relocated 'Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor' which will be practically the same ride but just changed a lot. The premise is that for the first time in company history, they are opening a second location for laughs. You are invited inside to see the new facility so in the queue you're touring the new laugh floor and then you sit down to see the new theater set-up, but when an error happens you're locked inside a room with no power with Mike Wazowski (now an animatronic) and his monster friends (still digital). So to open the doors he must make you laugh and get power so you guys can leave.

Another store would be 'The Joke Room' or something around the lines of a joke prop-house that sells joke books, magic tricks, gags, and more.

The main dining restaurant would be 'HarryHausens' a quick service restaurant like the film's restaurant.

The final attraction would be a 'Monsters University Campus Tour' which could be a dark-ride of the latest film which is themed to a golf-cart tour of the prestigious college. The queue starts off when you enter the campus gates (concept art provided) . There isn't much detail to put on the ride now, because the film hasn't came out yet but the movie focuses on Mike and Sulley and how they became friends. The exit area of the ride will lead you into the campus bookstore where you can shop Monsters University inspired apparel and things (like lettermans or notebooks, pens, keychains, hoodies that say 'Property of Monsters University est. 1886', which have lots of school supplies and t-shirts).

Monstropolis Map (the map doesn't have the dark ride in it, the dark ride would be in Monsters University patio)

What do you think? 1 e-ticket, 2 d-tickets, 3 fun stores (Joke store, Bookstore, and regular store), and 1 restaurant from one of Pixar's best selling properties.

WDW1974

That's a fanboy/CM myth. I've heard that story for ages. If indeed it was true, the theater facade would have had to be changed years ago. There's no way it'd still be there standing. Just putting a giant hat in front of it doesn't mean it's gone! Lol

TOTAL MYTH!!!

Why can't it be killed. It is the herpes of the WDW rumor mill.

Worse than even the fifth theme park (because anyone with a modicum of common sense understands why that will never happen). Worse then Cindy's removal hurricane spires.

habuma

I'm game. Here's my entry: ...[awesome DHS map snipped]...

I like it...I like it a lot. I've seen your other designs at http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com/, which is partly responsible for me suggesting the "contest" in the first place.

BTW, I realized after the fact that this should have probably been posted in the Imagineering forum, so I'm good with continuing the discussion there.

Also, bonus points for anyone who can restore the aerial Hidden Mickey at DHS.

RandySavage

My overriding concern is the continued value of a distinct 'Movie Park' (DHS) at a time when Magic Kingdom and other WDW & Anaheim parks are being converted into 'Movie Parks' themselves. A strong overall vision for the resort in which each park maintains a distinct identity makes each more compelling. The working Studio gave a unique identity to DHS, but the Studio is dead. To have a lands-based Hollywood park (like the one I drafted) would (does) overlap heavily with MK now that MK is filling up with Dis/Pixar film properties.

Unfortunately (from my perspective), the trend continues in such a direction (blurred identities; film drop-ins everywhere in every park) - with Jack Sparrow in MK, now coming to DHS, Monsters Inc in MK, potentially coming to DHS, Avatar to Animal Kingdom, Nemo in EPCOT and Animal Kingdom, etc., etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom