Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

ULPO46

Because it's not a studio anymore, and they're removing everything about it being a studio. When it opened, a big part of the draw was seeing actual working soundstages, animators working, etc. All of that's gone now. So they're looking to re-theme the park to get away from the studio atmosphere.
But at that point what would be more economic? I mean if you look at a satellite image of the park or even the map, the sound stages are every where. If they really want to change the studio look they will have to do a major over haul of the entire park. Could phase one have been to remove the Hat? Who knows maybe the water tower is next, after all now that the BT is gone, you can barely see the thing.

ULPO46

Universal Studios doesn't seem to have the problem of people expecting to see production facilities and the newer parks have also ditched the studio aesthetic.
Exactly, so what exactly went wrong with the Disney version. Lets face it with the Film Credit Taxes being so high it wasn't economic for Disney to make animation films between Burbank and Lake Buena Vista. But we also have to remember that Disney's Hollywood Studios was here before Universal built it's studio in Orlando. It seemed that everyone wanted to build studios in Orlando after Disney built theirs and of course the Brtohers Warner, daffy duck pun, had their theme park for orlando scrapped.

lazyboy97o

Exactly, so what exactly went wrong with the Disney version. Lets face it with the Film Credit Taxes being so high it wasn't economic for Disney to make animation films between Burbank and Lake Buena Vista. But we also have to remember that Disney's Hollywood Studios was here before Universal built it's studio in Orlando. It seemed that everyone wanted to build studios in Orlando after Disney built theirs and of course the Brtohers Warner, daffy duck pun, had their theme park for orlando scrapped.
I don't even know what point you are trying to make. Orlando as a production center was Universal's idea.

GrumpyFan

How about Disney's Hollywood Experience, or, has that already been mentioned?

But then, anything involving the word "Hollywood" and dealing with movies, should include the famous icon, the HOLLYWOOD sign on the hillside, also known as Mount Lee.
Not to blow my own horn, but I wrote about such an idea as this about 5 years ago. Here's a link, for anyone interested.

Last edited:

MKCP 1985

My recollection from having lived through that era, and reading financial publications including Wall Street Journal, is that Warner Brothers had made known its intentions to build a studio in Orlando and Disney a/k/a Michael Eisner wanted to beat them to the punch so rushed development of the Disney-MGM Studios Park which opened with a 2 hour tram ride because there was very little else to do in the early days of that park.

Another funny but unrelated trivia tidbit from that time period: The moderate hotels on property - Caribbean Beach specifically - were built to offer a low cost alternative to the deluxe resorts. A WSJ article actually compared the planned Caribbean Beach to a Motel 6, if I recall correctly. How times and price points have changed! I have often wondered to myself if the moderates equate to Motel 6, what is equivalent to a value resort outside the Disney property? Orange County Jail? :D

ULPO46

The point i was trying to put across was that Disney tried to compete with WB and Universal to be the first to open a studio/park. So when i hear people complain that MGM/DHS should become and redevelop, it be a difficult process. Disney doesn't want to build that fifth gate yet, but it will have to make a major overhaul of what ever they decide to rename the park to.

ULPO46

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of . That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Okay, I'll buy from you.

Tommy: Well, that's...

Tommy, Richard Hayden: ...What?

Tommy Boy 1995
Perhaps this is the way Disney thinks a rename will solve all problems with their third park.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
But we also have to remember that Disney's Hollywood Studios was here before Universal built it's studio in Orlando.

I believe the actual studio facilities at Universal were operating before the park was opened and before Disney MGM/Hollywood Studios opened

Magenta Panther

I think the name "Disney Hollywood Adventure" sounds kind of lame, but I honestly can't think of an alternative, unless it's "Disney's Hollywoodland", which sounds kinda lame too. :p

Otterhead

Perhaps this is the way Disney thinks a rename will solve all problems with their third park.
I don't think anybody's saying that.

What Bob Iger said is that the park needs a ton of work and they're making big changes, huge additions, and retheming it. And when all of that's done, they're also changing the name to reflect those changes.

McHalo

While DHS does have a nice "feel" to the park it is sadly a little boring like EPCOT. I would love to see the imagineers at Disney announce a massive expansion to DHS.

Pixar Land - is a must and a very obvious choice since currently the most popular ride at the park is 'Toy Story Midway Mania'. A new addition would be necessary maybe a ride or show based on 'The Incredibles' or the new 'Inside Out'. I think it would be very clever to have WALL-E going around the land picking up trash and talking to guest similar to the garbage can in MK's Tommorowland.
Cars Land - I am fully aware that Cars is a film by Pixar however given that cars land at DCA is a huge success and a big expansion it would need its own "land" at DHS
Marvel Land - I sure hope this one happens! I am huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I really believe this would be the most popular land DHS even topping cars land. How about a Avengers themed ride as the main attraction in this land? Maybe an interactive area called Stark Industries Lab? An X-Men ride would be great too.
Star Wars Land - another obvious choice, after all Disney did pay 4 Billion for Lucas film and all things Star Wars and Star Tours is currently a popular ride at DHS. An interactive Jedi or Use the "Force" area where the environment changes or does something to a command similar the wand shop at the wizard ing world of Harry Potter.
Frozen Land - the worldwide phenomenon gets bigger with the announcement of Frozen 2. A frozen land would be a huge success and I think few would disagree. A few additions could be a frozen themed ride, sing along show, and a 'build a snowman' interactive play area with do you want to build a snowman song perhaps.
Hollywood Land - would consist of tower of terror, rockin roller coaster and any other ride disney green lights but doesn't fit the other themes.

All these lands would have their own meet and greet areas for the corresponding characters

It seems these lands would require far more land than DHS currently has so some of these probably wouldn't make the cut.

I think just adding two of these lands would cause attendance numbers to sky rocket placing DHS in the same place as Magic Kingdom attendance wise.

In Fact, why not just make a new park with all these lands... I also like Disney's Hollywood Adventure

I've always wanted to be a Disney Imagineer and work at the house of mouse.

Last edited:

Rescue Ranger

As long as it's not Florida Adventure, I do not care what they call it. As long as it's a good standout name!
I do not think it will reference Pixar or Lucas/Star Wars or Marvel as that limits them far too much.

Disney's Studios
Disney's Hollywood Adventure/Experience
Disney's Big Screen Adventure/Experience
Disney's Imagination Studios
(I personally like this one best)
Disney's Backstage Adventure/Experience
Disney's Live Action & Animation Adventure/Experience

taka24

I thought Hollywood Land seems like a possibility, since that's what Hollywood Studios is addressed as in the Frozen Summer Fun stage show... However, whatever they end up calling it, it will always be Hollywood Studios to me.

JEANYLASER

As long as it's not Florida Adventure, I do not care what they call it. As long as it's a good standout name!
I do not think it will reference Pixar or Lucas/Star Wars or Marvel as that limits them far too much.

Disney's Studios
Disney's Hollywood Adventure/Experience
Disney's Big Screen Adventure/Experience
Disney's Imagination Studios
(I personally like this one best)
Disney's Backstage Adventure/Experience
Disney's Live Action & Animation Adventure/Experience

Rescue Ranger! I think that Disney Imagination Studios is awesome name! I loving it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom