Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

mandelbrot

This weekend was unexpectedly extremely busy at the resort. It reminded me of the leadup to the opening of Galaxy's Edge. Those last couple of weeks in May of last year were ridiculously packed like the week after Christmas. AP's were on the verge of being blocked out for the summer, the local discount tickets were expiring, and people were afraid of the expected crush of GE's opening which Disney was very vocal about. Then GE opened and...crickets. Even without the deadlines of discounted tickets or AP validity, it's looking like a lot of people are trying to get in visits ahead of the expected craziness of next weekend.

That said, there are no blockouts next weekend (except for CM's). The "off-season" discount tickets have launched. And Disney has been silent about potential chaos. With the biggest convention of the year (NAMM) happening next weekend as well, it's hard to know what to expect. It could be total chaos. Or enough locals will stay away and things will be manageable. I'd plan for packed conditions however.

RoTR will have an effect on AP crowd patterns since its boarding groups will fill up very early in the day before most AP's typically show up. For those AP's planning on riding RoTR they will soon realize they will have to get there at park opening. For most that will mean weekend visits. I would expect evening attendance surges at the resort to soften a bit and weekend mornings to be absolutely slammed for the next several months. Even weekday mornings will should get much busier than usual for the foreseeable future if the experience at DHS has any bearing on DLR.

Phroobar

This weekend was unexpectedly extremely busy at the resort. It reminded me of the leadup to the opening of Galaxy's Edge. Those last couple of weeks in May of last year were ridiculously packed like the week after Christmas. AP's were on the verge of being blocked out for the summer, the local discount tickets were expiring, and people were afraid of the expected crush of GE's opening which Disney was very vocal about. Then GE opened and...crickets. Even without the deadlines of discounted tickets or AP validity, it's looking like a lot of people are trying to get in visits ahead of the expected craziness of next weekend.

That said, there are no blockouts next weekend (except for CM's). The "off-season" discount tickets have launched. And Disney has been silent about potential chaos. With the biggest convention of the year (NAMM) happening next weekend as well, it's hard to know what to expect. It could be total chaos. Or enough locals will stay away and things will be manageable. I'd plan for packed conditions however.

RoTR will have an effect on AP crowd patterns since its boarding groups will fill up very early in the day before most AP's typically show up. For those AP's planning on riding RoTR they will soon realize they will have to get there at park opening. For most that will mean weekend visits. I would expect evening attendance surges at the resort to soften a bit and weekend mornings to be absolutely slammed for the next several months. Even weekday mornings will should get much busier than usual for the foreseeable future if the experience at DHS has any bearing on DLR.
Yeah, it's interesting. Will we get crickets again because AP people have lives and won't want to get there at opening for boarding pass or will opening mornings be packed? If anything, I think City Hall will have a huge line of AP whiners in the afternoon saying they can't ride ROTR because all the boarding passes were long gone and they demand passes. I wonder how many of the AP crowd know about the boarding pass system and how quickly they get distributed? The few APs that I know had no clue Disney was going to do that.

TP2000

Original Poster
I don't get the picture taking thing. No other Disney theme park does this.

Is it to prevent ticket re-selling/transferring?

It's specifically to prevent ticket scams and transferring. The OC Register and some fan blogs had several big stories about this process when it started a few years ago, and Disney went on record stating it was an anti-fraud measure.

They don't do this at WDW because they have the Magic Bands there. They don't do it in Tokyo because Japan. They don't do it in Shanghai because the citizens are scared their Social Credit score will be dinged and the Communists will send them to a re-education camp with the Muslims if they misbehave. I have no idea what they're doing currently in Paris.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
If anything, I think City Hall will have a huge line of AP whiners in the afternoon saying they can't ride ROTR because all the boarding passes were long gone and they demand passes. I wonder how many of the AP crowd know about the boarding pass system and how quickly they get distributed? The few APs that I know had no clue Disney was going to do that.

Exactly. I've said this repeatedly the last few weeks, but I think this whole Boarding Group process is going to be a very rude awakening for almost all AP's. 95% of them have no idea what's about to happen. :arghh:

TDA obviously got in trouble from Mr. Chapek for killing the summer attendance with their well-meaning but disastrous "Reservations Required!" marketing message for opening Star Wars Land.

Their strategy now seems to be going guns blazing on traditional marketing for the Resistance ride, SoCal ticket discounts, a basic hype machine, etc. so they can get as many people to the park as possible. Once they get the huge crowds into the park the front line CM's will have to explain to upset customers about the whole Boarding Group thing that sold out by 7:45am that morning.

This is going to get ugly for AP's showing up late at 9:00am, not to mention the ones who don't get there until Noon.

Disney Analyst

Exactly. I've said this repeatedly the last few weeks, but I think this whole Boarding Group process is going to be a very rude awakening for almost all AP's. 95% of them have no idea what's about to happen. :arghh:

TDA obviously got in trouble from Mr. Chapek for killing the summer attendance with their well-meaning but disastrous "Reservations Required!" marketing message for opening Star Wars Land.

Their strategy now seems to be going guns blazing on traditional marketing for the Resistance ride, SoCal ticket discounts, a basic hype machine, etc. so they can get as many people to the park as possible. Once they get the huge crowds into the park the front line CM's will have to explain to upset customers about the whole Boarding Group thing that sold out by 7:45am that morning.

This is going to get ugly for AP's showing up late at 9:00am, not to mention the ones who don't get there until Noon.

But if AP's, which should be some of the most knowledgable park goers, somehow missed the notice of Boarding Passes... I really feel little sympathy. They can just come back.

I mostly hope tourists can get on.

TP2000

Original Poster
But if AP's, which should be some of the most knowledgable park goers, somehow missed the notice of Boarding Passes... I really feel little sympathy. They can just come back.

I mostly hope tourists can get on.

I think a majority of AP'ers aren't reading Micechat updates each week, and even those that do just don't understand how quickly the Boarding Groups will be gone each morning. That said, within 90 days the bulk of the AP community will have figured out how Boarding Groups work, but will still be furious that they are all gone within an hour of park opening each morning.

Especially considering the math I used earlier in this thread to estimate that only about 15,000 Boarding Group reservations per day can be given out for a 16 hour daily operation at Disneyland, so if @egg or anyone else with more accurate numbers can weigh in that would be fun to know.

The tourists will also be clueless, but word will get out and 90 days from now the local hotelier community will be doing a pretty good job of explaining the process to the Smiths from Seattle when they check in at the Howard Johnson or Marriott.

You will of course have some tourist families with that wonderful type of mom called The Super Planner, who will have researched all of this weeks ahead of time and have created a plan of attack to rival the invasion of Normandy. She will have double alarms for 5am programmed into everyone's phone, there will be cans of Starbucks Cold Brew staged in the room's mini fridge, there will be baggies of granola and banana chips, there will be layered outfits capable of a 30 degree shift in temperature while still being cute and Instagrammable, there will be a backup plan to get hubby to Downtown Disney to watch the game at the Splitsville bar, and she will have secured Boarding Group reservations for her brood at sunrise even before Mr. Lincoln's vacuum tubes have a chance to warm up in the Disneyland Opera House.

Our friend @Curious Constance here is a great example of that fine breed of American motherhood.

But an AP popping in for the evening after work on Friday, or for three or four hours after church and a Target run on Sunday afternoon, will not get you a Boarding Group or any chance of getting on the ride. There will be anger about that.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I think a majority of AP'ers aren't reading Micechat updates each week, and even those that do just don't understand how quickly the Boarding Groups will be gone each morning. That said, within 90 days the bulk of the AP community will have figured out how Boarding Groups work, but will still be furious that they are all gone within an hour of park opening each morning.

I'd bet two churros there are AP's who think they know Boarding Groups now but have no idea they are gone for the day by the time the sun rises each morning. Especially considering the math I used earlier in this thread to estimate that only about 15,000 Boarding Group reservations per day can be given out for a 16 hour daily operation at Disneyland, so if @egg or anyone else with more accurate numbers can weigh in that would be fun to know.

The tourists will also be clueless, but word will get out and 90 days from now the local hotelier community will be doing a pretty good job of explaining the process to the Smiths from Seattle when they check in at the Howard Johnson or Marriott. You will of course have some tourist families with that wonderful type of mom called The Super Planner, who will have researched all of this weeks ahead of time and have created a plan of attack to rival Normandy. Our friend @Curious Constance here is a great example of that fine breed of American motherhood.

But an AP popping in for the evening after work on Friday, or for three or four hours after church and a Target run on Sunday afternoon, will not get you a Boarding Group or any chance of getting on the ride. There will be anger about that.
@Curious Constance gives a new meaning to "Going Commando" at the parks.

TP2000

Original Poster
I honestly think it'll be a good few months before I even attempt to walk near RotR, which was my initial approach to the whole of GE.

True. I thought the same way about Star Wars Land. But then it opened to crickets and almost no lines. After about a week of staring at a 20 minute posted wait on the App last June, I jumped in an Uber and went to see it for my darn self. And rode the Falcon ride three times in one evening and even though the wait time said "20" it was actually about 10 minutes.

I doubt they will allow that to happen again with the Resistance ride. But I am ready to be surprised about how this impacts the rest of the park and attendance patterns this winter and spring.

CraftyFox

I got to ride RotR this week. I didn't think I was going to get to go, but my friend's guest for the CM preview was too sick to go and I was invited at the last minute.

WOW!!!

I had read a lot of spoilers about it, but was still very surprised. Yes, it's huge--bigger than Indy. But I think it's more like three rides in one. The shuttle ride at the beginning is a brilliant first act that literally places you at the center of the action. I have been anticipating the hanger bay ever since my first glimpse of the rendering. I followed its construction until they closed the outside walls. None of that prepared me for the stunning vista I beheld when I entered this vast space. Only the First Order Officers barking out orders to leave could pry me away from this spectacular, immersive environment The very idea of going through the halls of a star destroyer was thrilling in itself, but pursuing this story line (or being pursued) through the long center section of the story was fantastic. There were special effects I didn't expect and it was all more than I could take in after just one ride. The Escape Pod sequence was more than I expected and packed a lot of action in a short sequence for a very satisfying finale. I know CMs who have ridden three and four times who said it took several rides to take everything in--one of the signs of a great attraction.

I absolutely loved it. I had heard a couple of years ago that Imagineering was throwing everything they had into it and that it was supposed to be the new "giant killer" in the industry. I think these are both true. This is linear storytelling on a grand scale and it succeeds wonderfully. There were new special effects unlike anything I have seen before. It's full of surprises, wrong turns, and spectacular set pieces (AT-ATs anyone?).

More importantly, RotR really fleshes out Galaxy's Edge. It creates a balancing counterpoint to Blackspire Outpost and the occupying First Order. The storyline of the resistance evacuating sympathizers/recruits makes sense given the increased presence of the First Order. It doesn't make up for the lack of live entertainment in the land, but it really adds substance. I loved how the long queue builds anticipation. My friend was very taken by the different rooms (he wanted to move in and live in the caves).

I would rate this a true E+ ticket because it truly advances the ball. I expect long lines for a long time to come. I can't wait to ride it again and again and see other friends' reactions on their first rides!

Seeing all these reactions make me even more depressed I‘m going to leave the parks only a few days prior to the opening. That being said, I can imagine the crowds are going to be intense. Smuggler’s Run had an over four hour queue less than half an hour after opening the other day! I’m not waiting that long for anything at Disneyland.

Phroobar

Seeing all these reactions make me even more depressed I‘m going to leave the parks only a few days prior to the opening. That being said, I can imagine the crowds are going to be intense. Smuggler’s Run had an over four hour queue less than half an hour after opening the other day! I’m not waiting that long for anything at Disneyland.
It did? You must be thinking of Disney World. I remember no one showing up at Disneyland. Target Run never peaked 45 minutes all summer.

lumberguy5

I doubt they will allow that to happen again with the Resistance ride. But I am ready to be surprised about how this impacts the rest of the park and attendance patterns this winter and spring.

Unlike Smugglers Run, people in Florida actually seem to like Rise alot. I think that Smugglers Run will be the next Star Tours of Disneyland, 10 minute waits in the evening. RotR looks like after the cool down of opening it will be a Racers/Space crowd draw.

SuddenStorm

The ride has proven to be incredibly popular in a park with only a few attractions- I'm most curious to see how it impacts the demand for the myriad of other high quality E ticket offerings at the Disneyland Resort.

Will it be able to hang with the big boys and command high demand for fastpasses and long standby times for decades to come like the best of Disneyland's offerings? Or will the reliance on sequel era characters, an erratic and unreliable ride system, and low capacity hinder guest response to this new E ticket offering?

When I rode it, I didn't feel the need to go ride it again. It was fun, but didn't pique my imagination like Splash and Indy- two rides I would rather ride before this, especially given how much of a hassle it's looking like this new ride will be.

I'm also curious which effects will break in the first year of operation and be retired permanently, since it seems every Disneyland E ticket has something that hasn't worked in years.

BrianLo

The ride has proven to be incredibly popular in a park with only a few attractions- I'm most curious to see how it impacts the demand for the myriad of other high quality E ticket offerings at the Disneyland Resort.

Will it be able to hang with the big boys and command high demand for fastpasses and long standby times for decades to come like the best of Disneyland's offerings? Or will the reliance on sequel era characters, an erratic and unreliable ride system, and low capacity hinder guest response to this new E ticket offering?

When I rode it, I didn't feel the need to go ride it again. It was fun, but didn't pique my imagination like Splash and Indy- two rides I would rather ride before this, especially given how much of a hassle it's looking like this new ride will be.

I'm also curious which effects will break in the first year of operation and be retired permanently, since it seems every Disneyland E ticket has something that hasn't worked in years.

Based on projected capacity alone and the eagerness the Florida crowd has embraced it, I’d expect this will wedge itself into the RSR -> Flight of Passage type of sustained demand.

I haven’t actually seen a single person say they actively dislike the ride. Which is pretty rare for this crowd.

CraftyFox

It did? You must be thinking of Disney World. I remember no one showing up at Disneyland. Target Run never peaked 45 minutes all summer.
Nope! This was at Disneyland park. Then again, this was on one of the most crowded days of the year. I ended up hopping on pretty late in the night and the line still passed two hours.

SuddenStorm

It finally got the predicted multi hour waits the weekend Disneyland hit capacity a couple weeks ago, but has since fallen back down to its typical modest demand from park visitors. Not much of an accomplishment for the newest ride at Disneyland, especially when given the low capacity and amount of space the attraction occupies.

No Name

That said, please feel free to correct any of those basic stats I'm using here. Particularly the grand total of about 15,000 Boarding Group reservations available per day at Disneyland's 8am to Midnight operation. :)
Especially considering the math I used earlier in this thread to estimate that only about 15,000 Boarding Group reservations per day can be given out for a 16 hour daily operation at Disneyland, so if @egg or anyone else with more accurate numbers can weigh in that would be fun to know.

Apologies for the late reply.

Well you said 800 an hour over 16 hours is 14,800, but it’s actually 12,800. Just a simple math error. So by your estimation of 800 an hour (which may be accurate on opening week), it’d actually be more like 13,000 a day, whoa.

Also, the maximum capacity is around 2100 an hour, not 1,500. The achievable target is hopefully somewhere in the 1,700s. Goes to show they’re really not getting anywhere close right now.

But again, your point remains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom