Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

SSG

As for the ride itself, I really enjoyed it. We rode on Wednesday and Thursday, which was good. There is so much happening-on the transport and during your capture especially- that multiple rides are needed to see it all. To start (spoilers ahead):

The Q: This was technically well done. It looked just like what was intended; a rag-tag Rebel/Resistance base, carved out of mountain and equipped with the SW gear you’d expect. If you’ve played the games, read the Expanded Universe books, watched Clone Wars, etc. this would probably be how you pictured such a base.

The bad part is it’s a bit mundane. Expertly done, but mundane. What’s there? Tunnels with…..nothing? Held up with SW universe bracing? OK. A locker room with flight suits? A weapons room with blasters? Medical supplies? Kinda cool to look at, but nothing that would be out of place at your nearest military base or in a hundred war movies. I was surprised that the mess hall and latrines weren’t shown.

What Disney wanted is clear: a heavily themed Q in the IJA mode that can be part of the attraction and keep guest occupied during a long wait. But Indy has interesting artifacts in an exotic location, plus several nods and Easter eggs to the Indy series. You’re exploring a temple, just like Indy would do. What IJA doesn’t do is take you through Indy’s office at the college or the diner where he eats breakfast. Because that isn’t what’s compelling about Indiana Jones

After dozens of rides on Indy, I still enjoy the Q. For Rise, I think even hardcore SW geeks will be quickly bored with what is basically a long wait staring at military equipment.

Last edited:

SSG

The Pre-Show: OK things pick up in the ready room. The BB-8 AA is great. I thought hologram Rey was good. The projection actually looks like the holograms from the movies, so this was a good use of screens. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about Daisy’s acting, but she was fine; she delivered 30 seconds of exposition to set up the story for a Disney ride. There are no Oscars for this.

Transport: OK, we have our mission and head to our transport. The CM’s moved us along in a miltaryesque way. A lot of calling us ‘recruits’ and telling us to load into the ship. The CMs were enthusiastic about their roles, which helps. No great actors there, but it was OK.

Inside was good. Lt. Bek was great and the motion of the ship was appropriate to simulate SW style space flight. I liked the First Order attack and how you could see it from any orientation. You see what’s behind you from the rear and what’s ahead at the front. Another decent use of screens.

Funny thing: The part where Poe talks to us and says we’re ‘a fine looking group of recruits’. The same sex couple near us answered ‘Same.’ The next day, a group of young ladies also answered ‘same’ at that point. Is this a thing?

SSG

Captured: We’re on a Star Destroyer! This looked great! Tie fighters and a platoon of Stormies! The First Order CMs were having fun with the roles. They were stern while moving us along in an orderly fashion. When you think about it, Space Nazi’s moving prisoners around and CM’s moving guests where to be isn’t very different.

The Stormies: They need to move more. A couple of moving arms and heads just highlight the fact that most are just dummies in white armor. Disappointing.

Interrogation: Meh. Kylo and Hux do not look great. It’s better the farther back you are.

Rescued: We’re sprung! And loaded into our vehicles. Again, enthusiastic CMs help.

Here we Go: The practical effects were good. The blaster bolts, the firing cannons, the AT-ATs, AA Kylo, the ride vehicles were good. The pitched battle at the end was obviously screen based, but how else would you do it? The drop and crash were fun.

Verdict: Is this the greatest Disney ride? Technically, sure. It’s an amazing accomplishment. Story wise, no. There are a lot of holes in the story, and that Q? oh, dear. But the action is fun and seems repeatable.

I was talking about it with my wife and said if on our next 5 trips I had to choose between only doing Rise or IJA, I would pick Rise. This is because there is a lot going on and I want to see it all. But if I could only do one of Rise or IJA for the rest of my life, Indy wins, hands down.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Funny thing: The part where Poe talks to us and says we’re ‘a fine looking group of recruits’. The same sex couple near us answered ‘Same.’ The next day, a group of young ladies also answered ‘same’ at that point. Is this a thing?

It will be now!

I'll add it to my other replies:

In Mission: Space... "the astronauts before you had something which you don't..." Me: [Cowardly Lion voice] Courage!

In FoP... "but you might also face some of it's biggest challenges..." Me: Wait! What!?

In Living with the Land... "And while this arid landscape may seem lifeless, it is very much alive..." Me: ..and we're not going to show you any of it.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

The Pre-Show: OK things pick up in the ready room. The BB-8 AA is great. I thought hologram Rey was good. The projection actually looks like the holograms from the movies, so this was a good use of screens. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about Daisy’s acting, but she was fine; she delivered 30 seconds of exposition to set up the story for a Disney ride. There are no Oscars for this.

Transport: OK, we have our mission and head to our transport. The CM’s moved us along in a miltaryesque way. A lot of calling us ‘recruits’ and telling us to load into the ship. The CMs were enthusiastic about their roles, which helps. No great actors there, but it was OK.

Inside was good. Lt. Bek was great and the motion of the ship was appropriate to simulate SW style space flight. I liked the First Order attack and how you could see it from any orientation. You see what’s behind you from the rear and what’s ahead at the front. Another decent use of screens.

same sex couples say the darnedest things.

TrojanUSC

As for the ride itself, I really enjoyed it. We rode on Wednesday and Thursday, which was good. There is so much happening-on the transport and during your capture especially- that multiple rides are needed to see it all. To start (spoilers ahead):

The Q: This was technically well done. It looked just like what was intended; a rag-tag Rebel/Resistance base, carved out of mountain and equipped with the SW gear you’d expect. If you’ve played the games, read the Expanded Universe books, watched Clone Wars, etc. this would probably be how you pictured such a base.

The bad part is it’s a bit mundane. Expertly done, but mundane. What’s there? Tunnels with…..nothing? Held up with SW universe bracing? OK. A locker room with flight suits? A weapons room with blasters? Medical supplies? Kinda cool to look at, but nothing that would be out of place at your nearest military base or in a hundred war movies. I was surprised that the mess hall and latrines weren’t shown.

What Disney wanted is clear: a heavily themed Q in the IJA mode that can be part of the attraction and keep guest occupied during a long wait. But Indy has interesting artifacts in an exotic location, plus several nods and Easter eggs to the Indy series. You’re exploring a temple, just like Indy would do. What IJA doesn’t do is take you through Indy’s office at the college or the diner where he eats breakfast. Because that isn’t what’s compelling about Indiana Jones

After dozens of rides on Indy, I still enjoy the Q. For Rise, I think even hardcore SW geeks will be quickly bored with what is basically a long wait staring at military equipment.

queue*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom