Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I love how optimistic everyone here is about getting a Boarding Group! Just wake up the family at 4 am, get on the freeway by 5 am, get to the front gate at 6 am, and you'are almost guaranteed a Boarding Group for 8pm that night! o_O

That said, I think we are underestimating how few people per day are being allowed to get a Boarding Group reservation. It's a tiny minority of the daily attendance. From reading and monitoring the insanely detailed thread over on the DHS forum for the last month, several respectable insiders and smartniks have come up with the following figures;

Max Hourly Capacity of Resistance Ride = 1500 riders per hour (slightly less than Radiator Racers, or about half of Pirates)
Current Hourly Capacity of Resistance Ride = 1000 riders per hour (purposely running fewer cars than designed to improve overall reliability and shorten downtimes when they do happen)
Current Hourly Boarding Groups Distribution = 800 riders per hour (to accommodate for regular daily breakdowns)

So let's just assume they will start out the same way at Disneyland and run it like that for at least the first month or three. 800 Boarding Group reservations per hour over a 16 hour operating day (8am to Midnight) is 14,800 Boarding Group ressies per day.

But let's just go super optimistic and say they give out 15,000 Boarding Group ressies each day at Disneyland.

15,000 people is nothing. That's the amount of tourists staying in only 25% of the 25,000 hotel rooms in the Anaheim Resort District. 15,000 is the amount of people who can park each day in just the 6,500 new parking spaces of the Pixar Pals Structure, assuming 2.5 people per car. 15,000 is about 18% of the daily Resort attendance on the average Saturday with 85,000 people in both parks, or 15% of the daily Resort attendance on the average busy holiday with 100,000 people in both parks. 15,000 riders per day is a ridiculously small fraction of the daily paid customers. 🧐

Sure, the tourists staying nearby will learn to set their alarms and storm the gates each morning at 7am, and the childless AP's will relive their college days and pull an all-nighter to be at the parking structure at 5am. But even a big chunk of those two demographics still might not get a Boarding Group if they stop at the Downtown Disney Starbucks.

I mention this not because I am worried about any of us here in this thread, we'll set our alarms for 4am and figure it out like we always do. But I mention this because I think this is going to be a very rude awakening for the vast population of Southern California, or any tourist who isn't leaving their hotel room on their expensive vacation by 6am. There will be a lot of disappointment this winter and spring.

This Resistance ride Boarding Group process is going to rewrite the playbook on how people use Disneyland as a leisure destination. Expect rants and tears and a new round of lawsuits from the SoCal DAS community.
While I agree with most of your points, I think you overestimate the tourism of mid-January. While individuals with deeper pockets will spring to fly or drive out to see the attraction, there probably won't be many "family" vacations during that time as most people did them over the holiday breaks.

No Name

I love how optimistic everyone here is about getting a Boarding Group! Just wake up the family at 4 am, get on the freeway by 5 am, get to the front gate at 6 am, and you'are almost guaranteed a Boarding Group for 8pm that night! o_O

That said, I think we are underestimating how few people per day are being allowed to get a Boarding Group reservation. It's a tiny minority of the daily attendance. From reading and monitoring the insanely detailed thread over on the DHS forum for the last month, several respectable insiders and smartniks have come up with the following figures;

Max Hourly Capacity of Resistance Ride = 1500 riders per hour (slightly less than Radiator Racers, or about half of Pirates)
Current Hourly Capacity of Resistance Ride = 1000 riders per hour (purposely running fewer cars than designed to improve overall reliability and shorten downtimes when they do happen)
Current Hourly Boarding Groups Distribution = 800 riders per hour (to accommodate for regular daily breakdowns)

So let's just assume they will start out the same way at Disneyland and run it like that for at least the first month or three. 800 Boarding Group reservations per hour over a 16 hour operating day (8am to Midnight) is 14,800 Boarding Group ressies per day.

But let's just go super optimistic and say they give out 15,000 Boarding Group ressies each day at Disneyland.

15,000 people is nothing. That's the amount of tourists staying in only 25% of the 25,000 hotel rooms in the Anaheim Resort District. 15,000 is the amount of people who can park each day in just the 6,500 new parking spaces of the Pixar Pals Structure, assuming 2.5 people per car. 15,000 is about 18% of the daily Resort attendance on the average Saturday with 85,000 people in both parks, or 15% of the daily Resort attendance on the average busy holiday with 100,000 people in both parks. 15,000 riders per day is a ridiculously small fraction of the daily paid customers. 🧐

Sure, the tourists staying nearby will learn to set their alarms and storm the gates each morning at 7am, and the childless AP's will relive their college days and pull an all-nighter to be at the parking structure at 5am. But even a big chunk of those two demographics still might not get a Boarding Group if they stop at the Downtown Disney Starbucks.

I mention this not because I am worried about any of us here in this thread, we'll set our alarms for 4am and figure it out like we always do. But I mention this because I think this is going to be a very rude awakening for the vast population of Southern California, or any tourist who isn't leaving their hotel room on their expensive vacation by 6am. There will be a lot of disappointment this winter and spring.

This Resistance ride Boarding Group process is going to rewrite the playbook on how people use Disneyland as a leisure destination. Expect rants and tears and a new round of lawsuits from the SoCal DAS community.
While some of those numbers are incorrect, you make a valid point. And Disneyland gets nearly twice as many visitors as DHS, so it’ll be interesting to see if boarding groups run out even faster. On the positive end, in Disneyland, at least there are plenty of other solid attractions with reasonable wait times for regular guests who don’t get to ride.

George Lucas on a Bench

I suppose all those people who don't get to join a boarding group can do Millennium Falcon instead.

From our experience, between 9-9:30 we got boarding group 19 which was ready around noontime, but an unexpected downtime delayed us another hour and a half after waiting in line. We didn't get on until around 2:30 or so.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

No, it’s exactly as I described. The last visit was Oogie Boogie Bash in September 2019. I bought my tickets online for a single evening event. They took my paper ticket with barcode and replaced it with admission ticket and took my photo. They did this with EVERYONE. Is this so hard to believe? They cracked down on this due to fraud.
Not hard to believe its just not something i am used to it. i am old school. i am used to buying a ticket and going to the gate and they let you right in. do they do this picture thing at the gate or at the security bag check thing? i am just curious since this was not the way last time i went.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

so...you're telling me there's a chance? YES!!!!!!!!! I hear ya. I think it is safe to say though that all the Disney bloggers somehow some way like Justin Scared Adam the too old for a tongue ring, etc will all get opening day boarding passes. some of them got them on opening day in florida now they will be there for the disneyland preimere while the other thousands who have not been on the ride before will miss out.

TP2000

Original Poster
While some of those numbers are incorrect, you make a valid point. And Disneyland gets nearly twice as many visitors as DHS, so it’ll be interesting to see if boarding groups run out even faster.

The way it's been going at DHS it's really more about how much space is available past the turnstiles to hold the pre-dawn crowds before the park opens. It's a process dictated by square footage in the entry area, not the total of daily or annual attendance.

Once you've scanned into the park and they've turned on the App for the day you can join a Boarding Group, and from recent memory and a glance at Google Earth it would seem that DHS and Disneyland both have roughly the same amount of square footage in their Town Square and Main Street/Hollywood Blvd. "opening act" entrance areas.

You're on vacation! Smile! This is fun! Get a Boarding Group Ahora!
DHS5-1024x768.jpg

crowd-hollywood-studios-disney-world-725.jpg

That tells me that the rate at which Boarding Groups book out won't be much faster at Disneyland than it already is at DHS; roughly 60 to 90 minutes after the App allows folks inside the park to grab one. The vastly higher annual attendance at Disneyland won't have much impact on that early morning process I don't think.

That said, please feel free to correct any of those basic stats I'm using here. Particularly the grand total of about 15,000 Boarding Group reservations available per day at Disneyland's 8am to Midnight operation. :)

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The way it's been going at DHS it's really more about how much space is available past the turnstiles to hold the pre-dawn crowds before the park opens. It's a process dictated by square footage in the entry area, not the total of daily or annual attendance.

Once you've scanned into the park and they've turned on the App for the day you can join a Boarding Group, and from recent memory and a glance at Google Earth it would seem that DHS and Disneyland both have roughly the same amount of square footage in their Town Square and Main Street/Hollywood Blvd. "opening act" entrance areas.

DHS5-1024x768.jpg

crowd-hollywood-studios-disney-world-725.jpg

That tells me that the rate at which Boarding Groups book out won't be much faster at Disneyland than it already is at DHS; roughly 60 to 90 minutes after the App allows folks inside the park to grab one. The vastly higher annual attendance at Disneyland won't have much impact on that early morning process I don't think.

That said, please feel free to correct any of those basic stats I'm using here. Particularly the grand total of about 15,000 Boarding Group reservations available per day at Disneyland's 8am to Midnight operation. :)
That's a lot of neck beards...mother of god

Phroobar

I think the question is- does having like 4 different pre shows make the queuing experience better than it'd otherwise be? Or will they only work to artificially inflate wait times during slow periods where there isn't enough demand for the attraction to justify having that many pre shows?

I'm reminded of the awful Terminator Salvation Rollercoaster at SFMM, where they used to hold you in each room and make you watch the worst pre show ever- now they just let you walk through (thank goodness). Or the Justice League ride, where you're stuck watching the awful pre show, with no option to just walk through, even if there's no line. This ride is definitely better than that, but I'm not sure it's good enough to have to watch the same cheesy transmission and same 'interrogation' etc. every time I ride.

It's like these ride designers think their pre show is gonna be like the stretching room- so perfectly done and so iconic that guests actively look forward to that part of the ride- yet no pre show that's been done since has come close.
Don't forget the Simpsons ride where they stick you in multiple little rooms before you get to the ride.

SaskDaddy

When I was at Batuu in July, we had two Magic Mornings available to us. But, Galaxy’s Edge didn’t open until the hour later.

So, how will this work with the boarding passes? Meaning, does it start an hour early, or will the chance to get a pass begin the hour after?

BubbaQuest

DHS5-1024x768.jpg

People are already at DL for rope drop for other things (gotta get on Peter Pan). I can't imagine trying to squeeze through the 2 tunnels at open time once RotR opens.

BrianLo

Disney actually created a really nice way to visit in demand things without having to worry about it the day of. Galaxy's Edge Reservations were great and were guest friendly and did not result in the kind of melt downs that we will start seeing with Rise of the Resistance.

It absolutely killed attendance though. Those were some of the lightest days Disneyland has had in years.

When people know well in advance they aren't getting in, they really stayed away.

DanielBB8

Not hard to believe its just not something i am used to it. i am old school. i am used to buying a ticket and going to the gate and they let you right in. do they do this picture thing at the gate or at the security bag check thing? i am just curious since this was not the way last time i went.
When was the last time you went? You can’t be so old school that you have to ask this happens at the security bag check instead of the gate. No one looks at your ticket at bag check. Disney moved the bag check to the parking lot many years ago. So you probably haven’t been to Disneyland for a decade?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

When was the last time you went? You can’t be so old school that you have to ask this happens at the security bag check instead of the gate. No one looks at your ticket at bag check. Disney moved the bag check to the parking lot many years ago. So you probably haven’t been to Disneyland for a decade?
its been some years but again i am asking because obviously things have changes since i last went so there is no way for me to know if this is something they do at bag check or not since last time i went
1. i went through bag check
2. went to the gate
3. gate scanned my pre-purchased ticket and let me right in with NO PICTURE TAKEN & NO EXCHANGE OF MY TICKET FOR ANOTHER TICKET
So if not you can someone else then please be courteous enough to explain the modern day process so I don't have to watch a vlogger you tube video on the subject? it would be most appreciated, especially with out the attitude.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
its been some years but again i am asking because obviously things have changes since i last went so there is no way for me to know if this is something they do at bag check or not since last time i went
1. i went through bag check
2. went to the gate
3. gate scanned my pre-purchased ticket and let me right in with NO PICTURE TAKEN & NO EXCHANGE OF MY TICKET FOR ANOTHER TICKET
So if not you can someone else then please be courteous enough to explain the modern day process so I don't have to watch a vlogger you tube video on the subject? it would be most appreciated, especially with out the attitude.
I'm pretty sure they only take your pic if you have a multi-day ticket and are going in for the first time on that ticket. Same with the first entry with a new AP. Single-day tix don't do pictures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom