Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

Phroobar

Nope! This was at Disneyland park. Then again, this was on one of the most crowded days of the year. I ended up hopping on pretty late in the night and the line still passed two hours.
You must have had really bad luck or it was broken down. We have an entire thread where we tracked ride time. It was low to walk on all summer.

TP2000

Original Poster
Apologies for the late reply.

Well you said 800 an hour over 16 hours is 14,800, but it’s actually 12,800. Just a simple math error. So by your estimation of 800 an hour (which may be accurate on opening week), it’d actually be more like 13,000 a day, whoa.

Oh... poop! :oops:

I was really hoping you were going to sweep in and explain how the ride's hourly target is really 1,900 per hour and in its current reduced state it's actually getting 1,200 riders per hour and so they were giving out 1,000 Boarding Group reservations per hour for a higher grand total of 16,000 per day!

But instead you remind me how much I hate math and that once I run out of fingers and start trying to use my toes for complicated equations I should just shut up and let a college kid with a fancy digital calculator take over. 🧐

So, using the mathematically correct 12,800 figure, let's just amend all my previous lofty talk of 15,000 Boarding Group reservations per day and go with the newly optimistic goal of 13,000 Boarding Group reservations per day.

13,000 riders per day for this big new ride is lower than 15,000. That's abysmal. Pathetic. Nearly criminal. Also mean.

Opening with 13,000 per day capacity makes you wonder how the Imagineers and Mr. Chapek could even keep their jobs after designing it this way and spending a few hundred million bucks to build it this way on purpose???

It finally got the predicted multi hour waits the weekend Disneyland hit capacity a couple weeks ago, but has since fallen back down to its typical modest demand from park visitors. Not much of an accomplishment for the newest ride at Disneyland, especially when given the low capacity and amount of space the attraction occupies.

The week between Christmas and New Years is always pandemonium. That's when they have to close the dock gates because the Mark Twain has reached capacity and can't let anyone else onboard, when there's a 45 minute wait for the Golden Zephyr, when people actually go into whatever lame 3D show they are showing in Tomorrowland, and when there's even modest interest in the Mr. Lincoln show.

In short, those people are starved for entertainment and would even wait two hours for Millennium Falcon: Target Run.

Right now at 7pm on a chilly midwinter weeknight, the wait times at Disneyland are thus;

Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 40 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds & Indiana Jones - 45 Minutes
Space Mountain - 85 Minutes

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I think a majority of AP'ers aren't reading Micechat updates each week, and even those that do just don't understand how quickly the Boarding Groups will be gone each morning. That said, within 90 days the bulk of the AP community will have figured out how Boarding Groups work, but will still be furious that they are all gone within an hour of park opening each morning.

Especially considering the math I used earlier in this thread to estimate that only about 15,000 Boarding Group reservations per day can be given out for a 16 hour daily operation at Disneyland, so if @egg or anyone else with more accurate numbers can weigh in that would be fun to know.

The tourists will also be clueless, but word will get out and 90 days from now the local hotelier community will be doing a pretty good job of explaining the process to the Smiths from Seattle when they check in at the Howard Johnson or Marriott.

You will of course have some tourist families with that wonderful type of mom called The Super Planner, who will have researched all of this weeks ahead of time and have created a plan of attack to rival the invasion of Normandy. She will have double alarms for 5am programmed into everyone's phone, there will be cans of Starbucks Cold Brew staged in the room's mini fridge, there will be baggies of granola and banana chips, there will be layered outfits capable of a 30 degree shift in temperature while still being cute and Instagrammable, there will be a backup plan to get hubby to Downtown Disney to watch the game at the Splitsville bar, and she will have secured Boarding Group reservations for her brood at sunrise even before Mr. Lincoln's vacuum tubes have a chance to warm up in the Disneyland Opera House.

Our friend @Curious Constance here is a great example of that fine breed of American motherhood.

But an AP popping in for the evening after work on Friday, or for three or four hours after church and a Target run on Sunday afternoon, will not get you a Boarding Group or any chance of getting on the ride. There will be anger about that.
Prepacked snacks, double alarms set, outfits laid out for the next day, it’s like you’re in my head lol

Curious Constance

I wonder if the boarding passes will stay around for a long time?

The boarding passes are specifically for the ROTR ride, and not the ability to get into the land at all, right?

mickEblu

Oh... poop! :oops:

I was really hoping you were going to sweep in and explain how the ride's hourly target is really 1,900 per hour and in its current reduced state it's actually getting 1,200 riders per hour and so they were giving out 1,000 Boarding Group reservations per hour for a higher grand total of 16,000 per day!

But instead you remind me how much I hate math and that once I run out of fingers and start trying to use my toes for complicated equations I should just shut up and let a college kid with a fancy digital calculator take over. 🧐

So, using the mathematically correct 12,800 figure, let's just amend all my previous lofty talk of 15,000 Boarding Group reservations per day and go with the newly optimistic goal of 13,000 Boarding Group reservations per day.

13,000 riders per day for this big new ride is lower than 15,000. That's abysmal. Pathetic. Nearly criminal. Also mean.

Opening with 13,000 per day capacity makes you wonder how the Imagineers and Mr. Chapek could even keep their jobs after designing it this way and spending a few hundred million bucks to build it this way on purpose???

The week between Christmas and New Years is always pandemonium. That's when they have to close the dock gates because the Mark Twain has reached capacity and can't let anyone else onboard, when there's a 45 minute wait for the Golden Zephyr, when people actually go into whatever lame 3D show they are showing in Tomorrowland, and when there's even modest interest in the Mr. Lincoln show.

In short, those people are starved for entertainment and would even wait two hours for Millennium Falcon: Target Run.

Right now at 7pm on a chilly midwinter weeknight, the wait times at Disneyland are thus;

Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 40 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds & Indiana Jones - 45 Minutes
Space Mountain - 85 Minutes

Not that I think it’s best practice to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on low capacity attractions but couldn’t the silver lining for Disney be that it creates even more demand for a MUST SEE attraction that’s so hard to get on without adequate planning (and sacrifice)? I’d imagine it can lead to more APs and guests in general going to the park more often for a chance to ride it.

Curious Constance

Not that I think it’s best practice to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on low capacity attractions but couldn’t the silver lining for Disney be that it creates even more demand for a MUST SEE attraction that’s so hard to get on without adequate planning (and sacrifice)? I’d imagine it can lead to more APs and guests in general going to the park more often for a chance to ride it.
How many times do you think an out of town family is going to throw down $600 for their family of four to go to the parks for one day for the CHANCE to ride it? Where they don’t even have an option to stand in line for hours on end?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The ride has proven to be incredibly popular in a park with only a few attractions- I'm most curious to see how it impacts the demand for the myriad of other high quality E ticket offerings at the Disneyland Resort.

Will it be able to hang with the big boys and command high demand for fastpasses and long standby times for decades to come like the best of Disneyland's offerings? Or will the reliance on sequel era characters, an erratic and unreliable ride system, and low capacity hinder guest response to this new E ticket offering?

When I rode it, I didn't feel the need to go ride it again. It was fun, but didn't pique my imagination like Splash and Indy- two rides I would rather ride before this, especially given how much of a hassle it's looking like this new ride will be.

I'm also curious which effects will break in the first year of operation and be retired permanently, since it seems every Disneyland E ticket has something that hasn't worked in years.
GUARANTEE THE PROBE DROID WILL BE BROKEN FIRST AND NEVER SEEN AGAIN

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Ah the Eric Cartman technique to running a theme park they have applied I see.

mickEblu

How many times do you think an out of town family is going to throw down $600 for their family of four to go to the parks for one day for the CHANCE to ride it? Where they don’t even have an option to stand in line for hours on end?

Since when do they care about out of town families at DLR? Lol. I am in town family staying at the Grand Californian in February and there are zero perks in regards to ROTR.

Last edited:

mickEblu

That’s true. 😒

Crazy that they don’t offer some sort of incentive for the hotels. How they find people to spend the money to stay there is beyond me.

I agree. I’m splitting the room with some family. First time staying there. And I’m only doing it because a bunch of us are staying there and celebrating my nephews birthday the next day.

Also i edited my response to your last post to answer your question but you already replied....

To answer your question very few out of town families. That’s why I mentioned APs first and then maybe some other non AP “Locals” who might come an extra time that year with fam or friends to ride it.

Old Mouseketeer

Well, it's all relative. If they average 1200/hour x 16 hours x 365 days that's 7 million people the first year. By comparison, only 700 thousand people can see a Disney musical at the New Amsterdam with the original cast the first year (1700/show x 8 shows/week x 52weeks).

Curious Constance

Don't forget the sunscreen to protect those delicate Oregon cheeks and noses.
That will be all prepacked and ready to go in my crossbody “park bag” that I carry around with me in the parks. That’s crucial to my family because we all turn into lobsters in the sun. And as Oregonians, we literally have to take Vitamin D supplements we go so long between seeing the sun!

DrAlice

You will of course have some tourist families with that wonderful type of mom called The Super Planner, who will have researched all of this weeks ahead of time and have created a plan of attack to rival the invasion of Normandy. She will have double alarms for 5am programmed into everyone's phone, there will be cans of Starbucks Cold Brew staged in the room's mini fridge, there will be baggies of granola and banana chips, there will be layered outfits capable of a 30 degree shift in temperature while still being cute and Instagrammable, there will be a backup plan to get hubby to Downtown Disney to watch the game at the Splitsville bar, and she will have secured Boarding Group reservations for her brood at sunrise even before Mr. Lincoln's vacuum tubes have a chance to warm up in the Disneyland Opera House.

Our friend @Curious Constance here is a great example of that fine breed of American motherhood.
Woah. It's like you can actually see me.... spooky....

@Curious Constance Sounds like good people to me. :D

Remember, if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail!

Ismael Flores

It did? You must be thinking of Disney World. I remember no one showing up at Disneyland. Target Run never peaked 45 minutes all summer.
recently the lines for the attraction have been pretty long in the morning. There is a video from a blogger showing times over 100 minutes for smugglers run and the line still goes beyond the queue point and zigzags thru Batuu and all the way down to the entrance of Rise.
Meanwhile the rest of the park is a walk on for some odd reason.
You would think people would go instead ride some of the other attractions than come back later in the day when Smugglers run goes down to its average 45 minute wait time

Ismael Flores

Since when do they care about out of town families at DLR? Lol. I am in town family staying at the Grand Californian in February and there are zero perks in regards to ROTR.

i bet you it has to do with the backlash they got from the original opening of Batuu when Hotel guests got priority reservations for the pre-opening month.

I do think that they should allow a few boarding groups for hotel guests and have them do it before park posted park hours or after posted closing times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom