Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

DrAlice

Here you go...

• Request to join a boarding group to ride the attraction, once you have entered Disneyland park. The virtual queue will not be available until published park opening hours.
  • Boarding groups will be sent a push notification when it is their turn to enter the attraction queue and you can monitor status of boarding groups from the app.
  • There also will be the ability to join a boarding group from select locations inside Disneyland park, if you are not using the app. The boarding group is tied to admission that will be scanned upon entry of the attraction.
  • Signage throughout the park will also display boarding group status.
  • Admission into Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be subject to capacity, and having an assigned boarding group will not guarantee entrance to the attraction.

Disney Analyst

Here you go...

• Request to join a boarding group to ride the attraction, once you have entered Disneyland park. The virtual queue will not be available until published park opening hours.
  • Boarding groups will be sent a push notification when it is their turn to enter the attraction queue and you can monitor status of boarding groups from the app.
  • There also will be the ability to join a boarding group from select locations inside Disneyland park, if you are not using the app. The boarding group is tied to admission that will be scanned upon entry of the attraction.
  • Signage throughout the park will also display boarding group status.
  • Admission into Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be subject to capacity, and having an assigned boarding group will not guarantee entrance to the attraction.

So mix of both app or physical.

Mickeyboof

Right. That’s good for anyone who doesn’t have the app or is generally confused.

I also noticed the Virtual Boarding Pass language stated it will be deployed “as needed.” I wonder if we’ll see any days or morning where the Virtual Boarding Pass is not used.

Disney Analyst

Right. That’s good for anyone who doesn’t have the app or is generally confused.

I also noticed the Virtual Boarding Pass language stated it will be deployed “as needed.” I wonder if we’ll see any days or morning where the Virtual Boarding Pass is not used.

I’d assume the first few weeks to months will be all virtual queue, and they added that in so they can stop using it without warning and people yelling at them.

No Name

That’s essentially the way it is in DHS too. But boarding groups go so quickly that if you don’t have a phone with the app, by the time you join at a “select location” inside the park, you might get a very high number and might not even get to ride.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Opening weekend will be a madhouse. No passes are blocked on the 17th and I'm sure many people will be taking off of work. Even with them not starting boarding groups until the park opens, people will probably be there early lining up at the gates.

Saturday and Sunday the So. Cal passes are blocked, but Flexes are fully reserved.

britain

Opening weekend will be a madhouse. No passes are blocked on the 17th and I'm sure many people will be taking off of work. Even with them not starting boarding groups until the park opens, people will probably be there early lining up at the gates.

Saturday and Sunday the So. Cal passes are blocked, but Flexes are fully reserved.

Boarding passes will negate a lot of the craziness. Once crowds get word that all passes are gone, many will head home. It's better than hordes staying and hoping to ride without a chance.

But having everyone who DID get a boarding pass spread throughout DL? That will be interesting to see.

SuddenStorm

I had a feeling they went overboard with the pre shows especially considering the demo at DLR. With that said I guess it’s better than the Falcon Q?

I think the question is- does having like 4 different pre shows make the queuing experience better than it'd otherwise be? Or will they only work to artificially inflate wait times during slow periods where there isn't enough demand for the attraction to justify having that many pre shows?

I'm reminded of the awful Terminator Salvation Rollercoaster at SFMM, where they used to hold you in each room and make you watch the worst pre show ever- now they just let you walk through (thank goodness). Or the Justice League ride, where you're stuck watching the awful pre show, with no option to just walk through, even if there's no line. This ride is definitely better than that, but I'm not sure it's good enough to have to watch the same cheesy transmission and same 'interrogation' etc. every time I ride.

It's like these ride designers think their pre show is gonna be like the stretching room- so perfectly done and so iconic that guests actively look forward to that part of the ride- yet no pre show that's been done since has come close.

SuddenStorm

But having everyone who DID get a boarding pass spread throughout DL? That will be interesting to see.

I doubt we'll notice that much of a difference, the ride's capacity isn't enough to actively impact the rest of the park if the only extra people in the park are the boarding pass people.

Disney Analyst

I think the question is- does having like 4 different pre shows make the queuing experience better than it'd otherwise be? Or will they only work to artificially inflate wait times during slow periods where there isn't enough demand for the attraction to justify having that many pre shows?

I'm reminded of the awful Terminator Salvation Rollercoaster at SFMM, where they used to hold you in each room and make you watch the worst pre show ever- now they just let you walk through (thank goodness). Or the Justice League ride, where you're stuck watching the awful pre show, with no option to just walk through, even if there's no line. This ride is definitely better than that, but I'm not sure it's good enough to have to watch the same cheesy transmission and same 'interrogation' etc. every time I ride.

It's like these ride designers think their pre show is gonna be like the stretching room- so perfectly done and so iconic that guests actively look forward to that part of the ride- yet no pre show that's been done since has come close.

I will reiterate, and I think most who have experienced agree, there is really only one pre-show as we view pre-shows through the modern lense in this attraction. The rest are show scenes that are essential to the experience.

Once the BB8 room happens you go go go, until maybe the hallway in the Destroyer where there’s a minimal wait. The rest are really show moments. They aren’t explaining the ride. They aren’t prepping you for the experience and boarding. They are story scenes.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Boarding passes will negate a lot of the craziness. Once crowds get word that all passes are gone, many will head home. It's better than hordes staying and hoping to ride without a chance.

That's true, though I still think obsessive people will still come early and line up outside the gates. Some will go home and some may just stay since they are there anyway and took the day off.

All I know is I'm going the 25th and 26th and really hoping I get to ride it.

TP2000

Original Poster
I love how optimistic everyone here is about getting a Boarding Group! Just wake up the family at 4 am, get on the freeway by 5 am, get to the front gate at 6 am, and you'are almost guaranteed a Boarding Group for 8pm that night! o_O

That said, I think we are underestimating how few people per day are being allowed to get a Boarding Group reservation. It's a tiny minority of the daily attendance. From reading and monitoring the insanely detailed thread over on the DHS forum for the last month, several respectable insiders and smartniks have come up with the following figures;

Max Hourly Capacity of Resistance Ride = 1500 riders per hour (slightly less than Radiator Racers, or about half of Pirates)
Current Hourly Capacity of Resistance Ride = 1000 riders per hour (purposely running fewer cars than designed to improve overall reliability and shorten downtimes when they do happen)
Current Hourly Boarding Groups Distribution = 800 riders per hour (to accommodate for regular daily breakdowns)

So let's just assume they will start out the same way at Disneyland and run it like that for at least the first month or three. 800 Boarding Group reservations per hour over a 16 hour operating day (8am to Midnight) is 14,800 Boarding Group ressies per day.

But let's just go super optimistic and say they give out 15,000 Boarding Group ressies each day at Disneyland.

15,000 people is nothing. That's the amount of tourists staying in only 25% of the 25,000 hotel rooms in the Anaheim Resort District. 15,000 is the amount of people who can park each day in just the 6,500 new parking spaces of the Pixar Pals Structure, assuming 2.5 people per car. 15,000 is about 18% of the daily Resort attendance on the average Saturday with 85,000 people in both parks, or 15% of the daily Resort attendance on the average busy holiday with 100,000 people in both parks. 15,000 riders per day is a ridiculously small fraction of the daily paid customers. 🧐

Sure, the tourists staying nearby will learn to set their alarms and storm the gates each morning at 7am, and the childless AP's will relive their college days and pull an all-nighter to be at the parking structure at 5am. But even a big chunk of those two demographics still might not get a Boarding Group if they stop at the Downtown Disney Starbucks.

I mention this not because I am worried about any of us here in this thread, we'll set our alarms for 4am and figure it out like we always do. But I mention this because I think this is going to be a very rude awakening for the vast population of Southern California, or any tourist who isn't leaving their hotel room on their expensive vacation by 6am. There will be a lot of disappointment this winter and spring.

This Resistance ride Boarding Group process is going to rewrite the playbook on how people use Disneyland as a leisure destination. Expect rants and tears and a new round of lawsuits from the SoCal DAS community.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I will reiterate, and I think most who have experienced agree, there is really only one pre-show as we view pre-shows through the modern lense in this attraction. The rest are show scenes that are essential to the experience.

Once the BB8 room happens you go go go, until maybe the hallway in the Destroyer where there’s a minimal wait. The rest are really show moments. They aren’t explaining the ride. They aren’t prepping you for the experience and boarding. They are story scenes.

I feel like this is arguing semantics? I mean, any time you separate a group of people into a room and play a film prior to sitting down in a ride vehicle is a 'pre show'. In this case, you have the initial Rey scene, the 'simulator blast off', and the 'interrogation'. Each of those is a pre 'show', they're just far better integrated to create an overarching experience that's seamless with the actual attraction than most pre shows are. Which was kind of the point of my comment... is this better than simply waiting in line? And how will this impact ride capacity? My use of the term 'pre show' was kind of irrelevant to the point I was making.

This is actually the one thing they did with the ride I really admire- since it's far more effective than watching a movie, being told to line up in front of gate 3, waiting for the previous group to exit, and then entering the vehicle.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

I think there's too much effort trying to define show vs. pre-show vs. queue and it gets muddled as more higher quality attractions are being made. If people want to try and define them, fine, but I just enjoy the overall experience and consider pre-show part of that experience.

SuddenStorm

I think there's too much effort trying to define show vs. pre-show vs. queue and it gets muddled as more higher quality attractions are being made. If people want to try and define them, fine, but I just enjoy the overall experience and consider pre-show part of that experience.

Beautifully said! I think this ride's biggest strength is how well it was able to blend the queue/pre show/grouping/ride boarding experience and make it all seem natural and part of an overarching experience. Trying to hid the fact you're grouping and boarding a ride was clever- the interrogation room instead of lining up on row 2, and having riders exit at a different spot than they boarded all work to strengthen the attraction. It's something WDI should flesh out further in future E tickets.

Disney Analyst

I feel like this is arguing semantics? I mean, any time you separate a group of people into a room and play a film prior to sitting down in a ride vehicle is a 'pre show'. In this case, you have the initial Rey scene, the 'simulator blast off', and the 'interrogation'. Each of those is a pre 'show', they're just far better integrated to create an overarching experience that's seamless with the actual attraction than most pre shows are. Which was kind of the point of my comment... is this better than simply waiting in line? And how will this impact ride capacity? My use of the term 'pre show' was kind of irrelevant to the point I was making.

This is actually the one thing they did with the ride I really admire- since it's far more effective than watching a movie, being told to line up in front of gate 3, waiting for the previous group to exit, and then entering the vehicle.

maybe I misread what you were saying. It sounds like we agree.

I was just seeing this narrative (not saying from you) of the pre-shows in this forum being seen as a negative, when I don’t even think they are the standard pre-show many think of or are used to. I just don’t want users to think before they even experience it “ugh, flight of passage pre shows galore on steroids ugh”.

The experience WDI has crafted with this attraction is genius.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Pre-shows, if they're done right, don't slow down the ride's capacity.

At FoP, you couldn't move past the pre-show if you wanted to because there are sill people in the theater. When the doors open up for the theater, you're watching people leave the theater. No delays.

At Gringott's, as a counter example, the holding room and elevator can move along so slowly, that they're sending vehicles out with empty seats. Single riders can ride with their friends because there aren't enough regular standby folks to fill all the carts because the pre-show is holding them back.

I don't know which is the case with RotR, but considering they sometimes have switchbacks in the starship bay, that tells me that pre-show is sending enough people to fill all the seats of the vehicles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom