Disneyland passholder lawsuit alleges Magic Key deceptively advertises no blockout dates - OCR

TrainsOfDisney

I’d love to know if demand is actually up, staffing issues are limiting attendance, or Disney is limiting attendance for CS reasons.

The parks rarely ever sold out before, now it’s several times a week, I find it hard to believe attendance is up that much, especially since the parks don’t look anywhere near Christmas crowds.

Wondering if this is temporary due to staffing issues or if this is the new normal.
It’s staffing (intentionally understaffing the parks to maximize profit) and limitting attendance to maximize profits.

It’s intentional.

truecoat

Both coasts. Had a long layover in Orlando and a friend and I were going to hit up Animal Kingdom for 4 hours. But reservations weren't available weeks in advance. Been invited to head to Disneyland a few times with advanced notice, but had to do something else due to no reservations available. In all of these cases, we went and spent our time and money at other parks.

Were you there during Spring Break? There are only 3 days Animal Kingdom isn't available through the end of the year and 2 of those days are around Memorial Day.

TsWade2

I hate it when Disney gets sued, however, based on what I hear about the Magic Keys pass, that kind of makes sense. I didn't have the Magic Key pass yet, so Disneyland needs to fix and correct the Magic Keys pass before I decide to get one.

shambolicdefending

I hate it when Disney gets sued, however, based on what I hear about the Magic Keys pass, that kind of makes sense. I didn't have the Magic Key pass yet, so Disneyland needs to fix and correct the Magic Keys pass before I decide to get one.
If anything gets "fixed" it will just be a change in the verbiage they use to market and advertise them.

I'm pretty confident the limited reservation system is here to stay. The "drop in whenever" system has claimed a fond, permanent place in Yesterland.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If anything gets "fixed" it will just be a change in the verbiage they use to market and advertise them.

I'm pretty confident the limited reservation system is here to stay. The "drop in whenever" system has claimed a fond, permanent place in Yesterland.
Yep, this fantasy that somehow this lawsuit is going to make Disney drop the reservation system is just that a fantasy. Disney was already testing the reservation system before the pandemic with the Flex Pass, so this wasn't even a pandemic requirement. Disney wants the reservation system and so its here to stay whether there is an AP type system or not.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Disney wants the reservation system and so its here to stay whether there is an AP type system or not.
I would tend to agree it's what they want, but I think the economy will determine if it's permanent 365 days/year or, if there is a recession and attendance drops, if it becomes like the virtual queue where it is triggered for busier times (i.e. summer, holiday time, spring break, Fri-Sun, etc.) and opened up to first come, first served again in the slower periods. Time will tell...

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
TLDR, The terms of service presented at the time of purchase (no matter what the marketing banter might allude to) are the contractual basis that it will be judged on, not the feels. The current TOS is listed on the website under Admission parts 1, 2, and 3 doesn't explicitly list each individual tier of pass but contains sufficient weasel words to cover them all with blanket statements like "Passholders may be restricted in their ability to make park reservations per applicable Pass benefit rules ", "Park reservations are limited and subject to availability and applicable Pass blockout dates", "A Pass will not guarantee park entry" .

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would tend to agree it's what they want, but I think the economy will determine if it's permanent 365 days/year or, if there is a recession and attendance drops, if it becomes like the virtual queue where it is triggered for busier times (i.e. summer, holiday time, spring break, Fri-Sun, etc.) and opened up to first come, first served again in the slower periods. Time will tell...
That would be too difficult and confusing in my opinion to have it "trigger" based.

Plus what would happen is the reverse effect, meaning it would end up being extremely busy during the non-reservation slower periods and slow during the "busy peak" reservation periods.

So it makes the most sense that it either an all-in or all-out proposition when it comes to reservations.

TrainsOfDisney

The terms of service presented at the time of purchase (no matter what the marketing banter might allude to) are the contractual basis that it will be judged on, not the feels.
Not necessarily. The marketing can’t be false. The fine print will always say “subject to change” but there may still be a case.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
TLDR, The terms of service presented at the time of purchase (no matter what the marketing banter might allude to) are the contractual basis that it will be judged on, not the feels. The current TOS is listed on the website under Admission parts 1, 2, and 3 doesn't explicitly list each individual tier of pass but contains sufficient weasel words to cover them all with blanket statements like "Passholders may be restricted in their ability to make park reservations per applicable Pass benefit rules ", "Park reservations are limited and subject to availability and applicable Pass blockout dates", "A Pass will not guarantee park entry" .
Yep, the only thing that will end up happening is Disney will end up paying a fine (maybe refund a bit of money to existing Key Holders) and a requirement to change the marketing so it doesn't advertise "No Blackouts" as the main feature of the Dream Key. Which BTW, they've already removed on a lot of their marketing in anticipation of the lawsuit judgment.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the mass renewal date comes up. If a lot of people don’t renew I could see them reevaluating the reservation system.

Disney likes the reservation system but if it costs them 100,000 Keyholders at $1000 each that’s a lot of reasons to change it.

SoCalDisneyLover

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the mass renewal date comes up. If a lot of people don’t renew I could see them reevaluating the reservation system.

Disney likes the reservation system but if it costs them 100,000 Keyholders at $1000 each that’s a lot of reasons to change it.
Disney fans are Addicts. The vast majority of them will renew. They'll certainly lose some, but Disney probably doesn't mind. They already had to stop selling the top 2 passes because they felt those were oversold.

There is ZERO chance they eliminate the Reservation system. That is permanently here to stay. Whenever the subject of Reservations is brought up, those in charge double down on how well it's working out, yada yada. If they had the slightest interest in so much as adjusting it, they would indicate so, and hint that it might be re-evaluated. So no plans to do so on the horizon. It's not going anywhere, despite the hopes and wishes of the guests, who Disney already has seen, will suffer through them, whether they approve or not.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Eh... nothing is permanent. The current management may keep it around but there is new management just around the river bend.
Sure, on a long enough time line....

But for those waiting and refusing to go back to the Parks until the reservation system is gone, well that'll likely be a long wait.....

TrainsOfDisney

Sure, on a long enough time line....

But for those waiting and refusing to go back to the Parks until the reservation system is gone, well that'll likely be a long wait.....
I’m not refusing but I haven’t been back yet. (Used to have the premier pass and would visit a Disney Park 8-10 visits per year). I have no interest in buying a pass, key, etc. - too confusing.

Now that world of color and Disneyland forever are back I might visit for a few days soon :)

When guardians and hoop dee doo are open I might think about a Florida visit too. Enough new things have opened I might as well see it.

But that’s a far cry from 10 trips a year!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m not refusing but I haven’t been back yet. (Used to have the premier pass and would visit a Disney Park 8-10 visits per year). I have no interest in buying a pass, key, etc. - too confusing.

Now that world of color and Disneyland forever are back I might visit for a few days soon :)

When guardians and hoop dee doo are open I might think about a Florida visit too. Enough new things have opened I might as well see it.

But that’s a far cry from 10 trips a year!
Well I hope you enjoy your trips, even if its without a pass, key, or whatever.

CaptinEO

I'm sure as a large company they probably have many legitimate suits amongst all the people trying to make a quick buck:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom