Disneyland Half Marathon

TakeMeThere81

Ditto on the direct sun! This was one detail in particular that is going in my upcoming TR ;) I said to myself to make sure to recommend to people who want to run this race to wet really good sunglasses (I did not). I felt like I was staring into the sun for 1/3 of the race.

I also saw the cultural groups who were cool and I ran past the guy pushing the wheelchair around mile 10. I almost tools picture because it was so awesome. I also loved the LMcQ Corvette (stopped for a pic!)

Then we headed east through Anaheim directly into the sun. Even with my sunglasses I couldn't see a thing. Nothing much to see until Anaheim Stadium. Lots of high school bands and cheerleaders. They really do a great job getting the runners pumped up. There were also some Polynesian dancers and mariachi (sp?). There was a guy pushing a woman in a wheelchair. He was doing great but I left him at maybe mile 6-7. We started to get closer to the Big A and there seemed to be a mile of awesome cars, old and new, including a Corvette (?) painted just like Lightning McQueen. Very cool. Wanted to stop and look at them but couldn't. Then we turned onto the Santa Ana river trail for a short while. Nice sand path. We were kicking up quite a dust cloud there.

Mad Stitch

Well I'm back from my trip to Disneyland/LA, I had a great time. At the expo I got to see the new WDW Marathon medal in person. That sucker is big and heavy. Probably a little taller and wider than the Disneyland "D" medal, weighing slightly less than the Coast to Coast. The race was very well organized. The only significant incline I remember was going up and over interstate 5 just after mile 4. As the others said, the sun was blinding as we ran to the east. I couldn't see a thing in front of me so I just looked straight down for feet ahead of me until we turned away from the sun. The craziest thing I saw during the run was a guy dress as Tarzan wearing a dreadlocks wig and loin cloth, and that was it! He wasn't even wearing shoes, he was running barefoot! I thought the cheerleaders along the course were going to tackle him. When we got to the Polynesian dancers he started to dance up against one of them and the crowd went nuts. Running through Angles Stadium was cool. Here is the course detail from my watch if anyone is interested.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205786236896961147977.0004c94cfad043aa9375a&msa=0

I don't know what to say about the parks besides everything you hear about them is true. Cars Land is great. I don't like copying attractions from coast to coast, but Hollywood Studios could really benefit from adding Cars Land. I don't know how much of the "new to me" factor plays into this; but MK vs. DL, I'd side with DL. Everything was in such pristine condition there and I really liked how the lands were arranged. Unfortunately I didn't make it onto contestants row on The Price is Right, but that was a great time that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Californian Elitist

Well I'm back from my trip to Disneyland/LA, I had a great time. At the expo I got to see the new WDW Marathon medal in person. That sucker is big and heavy. Probably a little taller and wider than the Disneyland "D" medal, weighing slightly less than the Coast to Coast. The race was very well organized. The only significant incline I remember was going up and over interstate 5 just after mile 4. As the others said, the sun was blinding as we ran to the east. I couldn't see a thing in front of me so I just looked straight down for feet ahead of me until we turned away from the sun. The craziest thing I saw during the run was a guy dress as Tarzan wearing a dreadlocks wig and loin cloth, and that was it! He wasn't even wearing shoes, he was running barefoot! I thought the cheerleaders along the course were going to tackle him. When we got to the Polynesian dancers he started to dance up against one of them and the crowd went nuts. Running through Angles Stadium was cool. Here is the course detail from my watch if anyone is interested.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205786236896961147977.0004c94cfad043aa9375a&msa=0

I don't know what to say about the parks besides everything you hear about them is true. Cars Land is great. I don't like copying attractions from coast to coast, but Hollywood Studios could really benefit from adding Cars Land. I don't know how much of the "new to me" factor plays into this; but MK vs. DL, I'd side with DL. Everything was in such pristine condition there and I really liked how the lands were arranged. Unfortunately I didn't make it onto contestants row on The Price is Right, but that was a great time that I would highly recommend to anyone.

I'm glad you had such a great time and congratulations on running the race!

dreamfinder

Overall, enjoyed the race. Great weather, loved being able to walk out of the hotel 1 hr before the start and just meander over instead of rolling out of bed 2+ hours early to ride a bus and wait in the dark. Expo was kinda meh. A little change up from the FL races which was good, but the race merchandise seemed worse than normal.

Course was nice, mostly flat. No real problem with those unders and overs on the course. A little more variety in the on course entertainment would have been nice. I really liked the enthusiasm from the cheer groups, but something different would have helped mix it up a bit. The ethnic groups (Mexican and Hawaiian I believe) were a nice change. Loved the classic cars/low riders. Those were some cool cars, and the drivers seemed to be happy to be there.

Was a bit disappointed with the finish area. Didn't see any Powerade (they are concerned enough about the heat/dehydration to pass out cooling towels but not electrolytes?), doesn't WDW races have it? And the treat boxes were a little light on carbs, but the mixup in snacks was nice to see so thats wash for me. However, no characters? Did I just miss the complete lack of character photo ops in the finish area? Saw Chip/Dale at the finish line proper, but no one post course for pictures.

And Brightroom, what did you guys do? I can't see the pictures at all from your massive new water mark all over the place. It's tough enough to tell if you like it from the mini thumbnail, but to plaster the logo over 50% of the image makes it really really hard.

Mad Stitch

Overall, enjoyed the race. Great weather, loved being able to walk out of the hotel 1 hr before the start and just meander over instead of rolling out of bed 2+ hours early to ride a bus and wait in the dark. Expo was kinda meh. A little change up from the FL races which was good, but the race merchandise seemed worse than normal.

Course was nice, mostly flat. No real problem with those unders and overs on the course. A little more variety in the on course entertainment would have been nice. I really liked the enthusiasm from the cheer groups, but something different would have helped mix it up a bit. The ethnic groups (Mexican and Hawaiian I believe) were a nice change. Loved the classic cars/low riders. Those were some cool cars, and the drivers seemed to be happy to be there.

Was a bit disappointed with the finish area. Didn't see any Powerade (they are concerned enough about the heat/dehydration to pass out cooling towels but not electrolytes?), doesn't WDW races have it? And the treat boxes were a little light on carbs, but the mixup in snacks was nice to see so thats wash for me. However, no characters? Did I just miss the complete lack of character photo ops in the finish area? Saw Chip/Dale at the finish line proper, but no one post course for pictures.

And Brightroom, what did you guys do? I can't see the pictures at all from your massive new water mark all over the place. It's tough enough to tell if you like it from the mini thumbnail, but to plaster the logo over 50% of the image makes it really really hard.

Yes, they had Powerade at the finish line. You must have missed it. Every race I have been in has always has the gross blue Powerade. Does anyone even like the blue flavor? Yuck. Anyway, you bring up a good point about the finish line treats. I was also disappointed with the selection. I remember WDW having a lot to choose from, including Coke. DL was a bottle of water, Powerade, banana, and the prepackaged box of random snacks that I just threw out.

Ha! I saw the new Brightroom watermarks also. It’s very difficult to see the picture. Brightroom really annoys me with all the emails they send trying to sell the pictures.

LindsayLoves

Any idea what the date will be for 2013? I'm guessing the Sunday before Labor Day from the past races.

Got my eye on that Coast to Coast medal....

Katherine

Woo hoo! Who's up for the new 10K or the Dumbo Double Dare! The Dumbo Double Dare is calling my name and would result in 4 medals for 2 races (Half, 10K, Dumbo, and C2C!). Who else is in?

Texas84

Woo hoo! Who's up for the new 10K or the Dumbo Double Dare! The Dumbo Double Dare is calling my name and would result in 4 medals for 2 races (Half, 10K, Dumbo, and C2C!). Who else is in?
I've decided to do the Dumbo. Marathon weekend will have early registration at the expo. Good warmup for the Goofy in 2014. :D

Katherine

I've decided to do the Dumbo. Marathon weekend will have early registration at the expo. Good warmup for the Goofy in 2014. :D

Definitely! It's like Goofy light, so happy they are adding this option to this race weekend and I love doing inaugural races!

a2grafix

Highly considering flying out to Anaheim and running the 2013 Disneyland half. Was not ready in 2012, but will be in 2013.

Wonder how I can pull this off with the Tower of Terror 10 miler at Disney World 5 weeks or so later. Take that back. I saw someone with a 2012 Disneyland half tek shirt on at the parks before / after I ran the 2012 Tower 10 miler. I see that it can be done.

Counting down the days until Jan. 22 registration.

Texas84

Highly considering flying out to Anaheim and running the 2013 Disneyland half. Was not ready in 2012, but will be in 2013.

Wonder how I can pull this off with the Tower of Terror 10 miler at Disney World 5 weeks or so later. Take that back. I saw someone with a 2012 Disneyland half tek shirt on at the parks before / after I ran the 2012 Tower 10 miler. I see that it can be done.

Counting down the days until Jan. 22 registration.
Yeah, I was wearing my Disneyland Half shirt at ToT. :D

Katherine

Registration opens on Tuesday. Last year reached capacity in approximately 30 days!

I'm ready, I'm ready! After seeing lines at the WDW Marathon expo I'm nervous for how full the Dumbo already is... I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

images

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom