Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

NoChesterHester

If they want people to visit more frequently and stay longer they should offer better vacation packages. It seems the prices have just gotten silly. Especially @ the deluxe resorts. And AP holders seem to get nothing in return for our loyalty, other than price increases. I remember vacation packages used to be way more enticing.

If they want people to visit more frequently then have consistent openings of new attractions. New things to do will bring people back.

There were periods in the 90's we came twice a year and had something significant new to visit every trip. We spent thousands. Gladly.

Rasvar

Why are you comparing it to to anything else to begin with? Comparing a standard maybe?

Ever think maybe people from those parks say the same thing about Disney World?

Maybe some people are complacent with what they know and think the grass is greener elsewhere, like a lot of people do. People will believe what they want, or think what they want, thats being human. Reality is much different. The first time people do anything creates a magical vaccum of excuses that circle their mind stronger than the most pricest Kirby.

Jimmy Thick- And I own a Dyson.
I live in Florida. I go to WDW frequently. I went to DL a number of times in the '90s and saw it fall apart. After 2001, I stopped going to DL because the WDW product was far superior. I've recently started go back to DL (actually making my second trip this year there next month, only two less than my WDW trips this year) and the situation has completely flipped. DL in the 90's and early 2000's was full of cheap stuff, large empty places and bad attractions (Superstar Limo for worst ever). At the same time WDW was actually doing well. Since then, it is an almost complete mirror flip-flop. It has not sunk as low as DL did but it was getting close. However, I consider the DL the better value and superior product at the moment and would rather go there than WDW. Now, I am in the hopeful camp that TDO is finally starting to wake up but there are still a few more years until things can start turning around. But, the decline at WDW has been way too apparent to me as it has been to my many friendships and contacts that I have built within WDW over the last 20 years. I would say my contacts nadirs all happened within the last two years but I am starting to see a little glimmer from them again. It's reserved and hoping. I have a friend at WDW who recently went to DL for a research trip who shared my same views. He went so far as to consider DCA to be almost on par with the current MK at WDW. I don't thing I would go that far but I would agree that it is superior to any of the other three parks at WDW. In 2001, you would have been considered on drugs to say that.

To add one small thing, lets assume 5 year average return for the average guest. ROE is now approaching it's 15th year. I'm sure guests who come every five years and have already seen it twice would appreciate a new show.

wdwfan4ver

To add one small thing, lets assume 5 year average return for the average guest. ROE is now approaching it's 15th year. I'm sure guests who come every five years and have already seen it twice would appreciate a new show.
I agree with that. The first time I saw ROE was in 2000 after not being at WDW since 1997. ROE wasn't quite a year old at the time since I went in June of 2000. ROE got its official opening on October 1st, 1999.

What you said about ROE can be said about Fantasmic for DHS because it is even old than ROE. Fantasmic at DHS actually will be 15 years old next year on October 15th since the first showing happened on October 15th, 1998.The DHS version of Fantasmic never got an update unlike Disneyland's version because TDO didn't want to spend the money for an update.

tomman710

Here's the thing that people are missing; again I must illustrate ...

You have a car, you change the oil regularly, it is vital ... yes you can stretch it out sometimes but its a risk.

TDO has been running their car, they figured its running fine, why change the oil, plus oil costs money right? However, now there isn't a drop left, they've kept running it because well, it keeps running. But now there is significant engine damage because they have driven it for thousands of miles without an oil change ... so instead of just keeping up with the oil changes every month they now have to rebuild the engine.

"What we have on our hands is a dead shark."

spacemt354

Chili's
Here's the thing that people are missing; again I must illustrate ...

You have a car, you change the oil regularly, it is vital ... yes you can stretch it out sometimes but its a risk.

TDO has been running their car, they figured its running fine, why change the oil, plus oil costs money right? However, now there isn't a drop left, they've kept running it because well, it keeps running. But now there is significant engine damage because they have driven it for thousands of miles without an oil change ... so instead of just keeping up with the oil changes every month they now have to rebuild the engine.

"What we have on our hands is a dead shark."

I feel that this type of illustration is too simplistic and doesn't represent the current issues of wdw in the right fashion, IMO.

It's not that they haven't spent money (changed the oil) over the last decade, because they have. They have continued to change the oil, except they havent done it the right way all the time. I don't discount additions like Everest, soarin, toy story midway mania, and others over the last decade that I continue to enjoy. That is when wdw changes their oil with Mobil 1. The wdw engine runs best on Mobil 1. Yet too many times over the last decade wdw has been using pennzoil. They are still changing the oil, but pennzoil has a different (negative) result on the engine because it slows it down. Over 100 million to build the little mermaid, and a 1 billion dollar investment into next gen technology, some of which I feel isn't necessary (the new fastpass system). Other projects like Harry potter cost less than the little mermaid, and the dca expansion costs a lot just like the next gen investment. So they are spending money, they are changing the oil to use your terminology, they just aren't changing it the right way in a lot of people's opinions. I would rather see an investment into more new, highly technological rides, using the Mobil 1 oil, than use pennzoil and instead have wifi access throughout the parks or have an interactive queue.

tomman710

I feel that this type of illustration is too simplistic and doesn't represent the current issues of wdw in the right fashion, IMO.

It's not that they haven't spent money (changed the oil) over the last decade, because they have. They have continued to change the oil, except they havent done it the right way all the time. I don't discount additions like Everest, soarin, toy story midway mania, and others over the last decade that I continue to enjoy. That is when wdw changes their oil with Mobil 1. The wdw engine runs best on Mobil 1. Yet too many times over the last decade wdw has been using pennzoil. They are still changing the oil, but pennzoil has a different (negative) result on the engine because it slows it down. Over 100 million to build the little mermaid, and a 1 billion dollar investment into next gen technology, some of which I feel isn't necessary (the new fastpass system). Other projects like Harry potter cost less than the little mermaid, and the dca expansion costs a lot just like the next gen investment. So they are spending money, they are changing the oil to use your terminology, they just aren't changing it the right way in a lot of people's opinions. I would rather see an investment into more new, highly technological rides, using the Mobil 1 oil, than use pennzoil and instead have wifi access throughout the parks or have an interactive queue.

Yea I'm on board with this.

HMF

With what they have been doing with Epcot over the past 10 years do you really trust them to replace the near-perfection that is Reflections of Earth? Upgrade the technology but no new show please. They already ruined my Spaceship Earth.

Clever Name

With what they have been doing with Epcot over the past 10 years do you really trust them to replace the near-perfection that is Reflections of Earth? Upgrade the technology but no new show please. They already ruined my Spaceship Earth.
I think this is an excellent comment. It demonstrates that many people dislike change. IMO, I've seen every version of SSE they've created and I like the newest version just fine. I would hate the attraction if they still had all the old effects and audio. They've got to change this stuff, otherwise it becomes very stale. CBJ and CoP are great examples of how outdated and old attractions just bore repeat guests. WDW needs to change things up to remain fresh.

c-one

I really like this theory that the "doom and gloomers" haven't actually been to WDW in 10+ years. Because of all the places on the Internet to troll and make up lies, a message board about a vacation resort is the most appealing.

M.rudolf

What I type is not lies. I went to WDW last year although I didn't do a report or update when I did my last trip. I enjoyed myself a lot, but I do not snort pixie dust and ignore things that I saw break down.

I gave me last trip B on the grade thread and what I mentioned about stuff breaking down is stuff that I saw happen such as Car on Test Track Brake down while I was in line. The lap bar my vehicle had for one of the Magic Kingdom rides actually didn't lock for me or the cast member. I was on monorails when they broke down and had to wait over 30 minutes. I was even

I'm not a doom and gloomer but there were problems my last trip,I usually go twice a year,COP broke down we got stuck for an hour,then later in the trip we got stuck for 45 min on test track. The end scene on splash most of the animatronics were down.
Its the little things. This year for our second trip we are going to DL. I love Disney and so does the rest of my family,but it's the small things that really upset me food quality,less entertainment than before and the decline of maintenance. I will go back of course but I will divide my time between DW,DL and Universal

misterID

It's been a couple years for me. I'm taking my niece soon, only because I have family in Florida. Usually I'd try to do the four park thing and stay about a week, but at this moment, DHS and AK are not worth the price. Heck EPCOT really isn't worth the price right now. I'm only going because I love SSE. We're trying UNI and IOA in their place along with spending more time at the beach instead of on property. And I'll be going to DLR in the near future because of work.

And, as much as it pains me to say it, DLR might just become my home park. :(

I think that's karma for all the times I made fun of DL in the 90s and touted WDW's greatness. Man, have times changed.

HMF

I think this is an excellent comment. It demonstrates that many people dislike change. IMO, I've seen every version of SSE they've created and I like the newest version just fine. I would hate the attraction if they still had all the old effects and audio. They've got to change this stuff, otherwise it becomes very stale. CBJ and CoP are great examples of how outdated and old attractions just bore repeat guests. WDW needs to change things up to remain fresh.
There is a difference between change for the sake of change (for example Light Tragic JIYI, UNM, etc. and improving on what already works. (upgrades to existing shows and attractions.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed they have. Horizons would be awful if the 1983 version was still open today. But when they do it half-a@@ed and slash the budget like Imagination, Space Mountain and SSE things are definately wrong.

MerlinTheGoat

I like change, as long as said change means you're replacing the product with a superior one. Too often though things are changed just for the sake of making something "new", and not because there's a legitimately better replacement in store. And often in regards to Disney World, the changes are made specifically to make something cheaper to operate or whatnot, not to put out a better product.

Examples of good change-
- Haunted Mansion 2007 redo (most of it)
- Spaceship Earth Irons version (compared to the pre-1994 version)

Examples of bad change-
- Imagination 2.0 and 3.0
- Spaceship Earth Dench version

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom