Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

tomman710

Do you want new Cars themed supporting rides to come with it or just RSR. Or a larger Pixar expansion with RSR

I think financially they are better served doing RSR and another Pixar attraction ... I mean the whole point is to get us to come to the parks and buy merch ... RSR does that with or without Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and the rest of Cars Land ... TDO can maximize profits by creating another attraction (EDIT: gift shop) to push a different brand of merch.

alissafalco

I think financially they are better served doing RSR and another Pixar attraction ... I mean the whole point is to get us to come to the parks and buy merch ... RSR does that with or without Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and the rest of Cars Land ... TDO can maximize profits by creating another attraction (EDIT: gift shop) to push a different brand of merch.

I don't know, I think the whole reason why CL is doing well is because it is the whole package. The town, the rocks, the stores, Maters & Luigi (yes, those could be replaced) but having all of that tied into a whole land is why it's doing so so well. Once that is broken down to only RSR without the rest it won't nearly have the impact as it does in DCA. It's the whole experience IMO.

janoimagine

I don't know, I think the whole reason why CL is doing well is because it is the whole package. The town, the rocks, the stores, Maters & Luigi (yes, those could be replaced) but having all of that tied into a whole land is why it's doing so so well. Once that is broken down to only RSR without the rest it won't nearly have the impact as it does in DCA. It's the whole experience IMO.

It has to be. Its honestly incredible in person ... the town is pretty epic. However, not to be negative, but given TDO's track list I wouldn't hold my breath.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I agree with this, but I doubt TDO's bean counters can understand that

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some thngs are worth cloning such as Cars Land. Some things are not worth cloning such as CBJ.
Finally, a fan boy that agrees with me... I haven't been in CBJ in 9 years.

I don't even know why this is being brought up except Clever (and we really should judge that for ourselves) likes getting fanbois all hot and bothered. Hey, if he's semi-talented he could work for Imagineering!

CBJ hasn't been cloned since 1983. And it is incredibly popular where it is. It also seems to still be quite popular at WDW despite the fact it is cared for like a typical welfare baby in this country.

Oh, and CBJ won't be cloned again, so I guess it's just about taking shots. Maybe they can replace it with a Woody and Jessie Meet and Greet and Grope. Oh wait, that's what they did when they killed the also very popular DHR.

WDW1974

Original Poster
RSR is worth cloning. The rest should stay in DCA to keep it's uniqueness intact.

As an attraction, it probably is.

I just don't like the industry (as I've said, it isn't just Disney, UNI and SW/Busch are just as guilty) trend toward homogenization.

You can do a basic ride theme and change it drastically. Look at ToT in Tokyo vs WDW. Look at PM in DLP vs. USA Mansions. Look at Space Mountain in Paris vs. others. Look at Grizzly Gulch Mine Train vs BTMRRs in others.

You can absolutely do cars with the same ride system for the Studios and NOT have it be a clone of RSRs. THAT is what I'd love to see happen.

WDW1974

Original Poster
With that philosophy our MK would have likely never been built....?

Yeah, and our MK was vastly different than DL and was planned to be even more different.

Imagine if the three dark rides weren't SW, PP and Toad and they had gone with the unique ones.
Imagine if Thunder Mesa and WRE had been built ... very likely no Splash Mountain now or not where it currently sits.
Imagine if the full Vernesque T-land project had happened in the mid 90s.
Imagine if Mickey's B-Day Land had been allowed to just die and be removed after a year as planned.

Imagine if people used their brains ... OK, that one is a result of the past week. Sorry.

cheezbat

Yeah, and our MK was vastly different than DL and was planned to be even more different.

Imagine if the three dark rides weren't SW, PP and Toad and they had gone with the unique ones.
Imagine if Thunder Mesa and WRE had been built ... very likely no Splash Mountain now or not where it currently sits.
Imagine if Mickey's B-Day Land had been allowed to just die and be removed after a year as planned.

Imagine if people used their brains ... OK, that one is a result of the past week. Sorry.

I still wish they'd give Tomorrowland the Verne-esque overlay. I think it'd look great!

And seriously...why can't we get unique dark rides? There's prime real estate being wasted on the princess meet n greet...I know the Snow White ride building isn't huge, but any new RIDE would be welcome there.

SirLink

But that requires a company and a leader to have long term visions of what they want a resort to be 5, 10, 20 years down the line. TDO and mind you even TWDC seem to have a very "Lets fix today's problems tomorrow!" mindset instead of a "Lets fix tomorrows problems today!" mindset, from all the reports from yourself that TDO have been like headless chickens it seems all the problems of the last 2 decades have caught up with them, and if they don't have vision now they no longer will.

P.S. I guess we'll never see the Astronomers Club as the transition, instead of the T Noodle Terrace from Main Street USA to T-Land in any US parks?

Clever Name

"Junky"?!

There's only one other poster who regular tosses that line around here. Are you related to PattyMelt?
I thought that the term "junky" was appropriate considering we're talking about Cars Land. Would it have been better had I said to leave the auto salvage parts of Cars Land in DCA? Some people are offended by the term "junkyard". Of course, those same people are normally junk dealers.

janoimagine

I just don't like the industry (as I've said, it isn't just Disney, UNI and SW/Busch are just as guilty) trend toward homogenization.
That's anywhere in the US right now. You can't fly anywhere without running into a Home Depot, Walmart, or Applebees. I was in Kauai a month ago ... even their, on the garden island, I was amazed to see how far it has spread. Sadly, America itself has become homogenized. I miss the smaller independant owned toy stores, hobby stores and especially book stores. I'm not sure what can be done to stop it. I don't think any industry is immune to it.

culturenthrills

As an attraction, it probably is.

You can do a basic ride theme and change it drastically. Look at ToT in Tokyo vs WDW. Look at PM in DLP vs. USA Mansions. Look at Space Mountain in Paris vs. others. Look at Grizzly Gulch Mine Train vs BTMRRs in others.

You can absolutely do cars with the same ride system for the Studios and NOT have it be a clone of RSRs. THAT is what I'd love to see happen.

Yeah, I know it didn't make as much money but with all the international visitors I think it would make more sense to use the RSR racers themed around the World Grand Prix of Cars 2. You could use the whole storyline of bad cars trying to stop your car from winning or something like that. You could even have the race in Radiator Springs. Just give the ride a little different storyline so it would be original for WDW. But we know that won't happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom