Disney to make an expansion announcement today.

PurpleRose

The statement that Avatar doesn't fit DAK just made me spit water on my computer monitor. Avatar's message mirrors DAK. It would be perfect fit there.

I wasn't excited over the original announcement but so thrilled that attention was going to DAK. And maybe while they are spreading $500 M on the expansion, some money would have been tossed to fix Dinosaurs and EE.

lazyboy97o

Not sure who is paying for what exactly, but I'd bet all of the global expansion is at least partly to blame for why WDW is feeling the neglect these days. Only so many Imagineers in the Mouse House, after all.

(Of course, I could totally be wrong here. I'm just speculating.)
The only international expansion that is ongoing that is being fully paid for by The Walt Disney Company is the three new lands at Hong Kong Disneyland (because they tried to screw the Government of Hong Kong with the initial build out). The Walt Disney Company only owns 43% of the under construction Shanghai Disney Resort, but neither Shanghai or the Central Government will take the crap Hong Kong took. If they buy up the rest of Euro Disney SCA then that would be more.

As for the Imagineers, despite the image Disney likes to cultivate, Walt Disney Imagineering is not this small, steady, select group of individuals. Yes, some people have been there for a long time, but there is very much a revolving door. If Walt Disney Imagineering is short on man power they can, and have in the past, hire more people who are both talented and experienced in designing themed experiences.

ctxak98

Avatarland, besides star wars, will be the only thing to compete with potter in my opinion. No other "live action" movie fits with disney now and pixar is great and all but even that I don't see fighting with potter much...especially since its cars. I would prefer monsters inc or incredibles ride any day. And secondly why do we all want the same kind of ride in two parks. Test track and radiator springs racers are the same, except one goes faster. I think avatarland will fit perfect...it would be beautiful and allow the park to be open longer. I would love to see dinosaur and expedition everest get fixed as well but let's be real, they can't close those rides until there is something more! There isn't enough RIDES to do.

captainkidd

Avatarland, besides star wars, will be the only thing to compete with potter in my opinion. No other "live action" movie fits with disney now and pixar is great and all but even that I don't see fighting with potter much...especially since its cars. I would prefer monsters inc or incredibles ride any day. And secondly why do we all want the same kind of ride in two parks. Test track and radiator springs racers are the same, except one goes faster. I think avatarland will fit perfect...it would be beautiful and allow the park to be open longer. I would love to see dinosaur and expedition everest get fixed as well but let's be real, they can't close those rides until there is something more! There isn't enough RIDES to do.

As of this moment, "Avatarland" is on hold. The official statement says "Creative Differences". Those same "creative differences" were what brought Harry Potter to Universal. I'll be shocked if we ever see "Avatarland" at Disney. And for one time, I will defend Disney on the decision not to spend money. Harry Potter is a beloved story that will be read and told for decades to come. Does anyone care in the least bit about anything or anyone in Avatar?

twebber55

yeah i dont get the idea of people wanting a clone of something already done when they could have a totally new experience...JMO

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You obviously haven't ridden both.

tomman710

There is no way AvatarLand will ever compete with Potter. The fan base, merch opportunities, and fan base isn't even in the same galaxy. True, maybe they could develop some ground breaking ride that would be fun ... but I've never ever seen any one of any age with any Avatar merchandise and I've been plenty of places where people tend to go and I have kids ...

... in fact the ONLY place I've ever seen Avatar merch is in the discount bins at Barnes and Noble.

Merch is where the money is ... Avatar is a 3 year old tee ball team and Potter is the 62' Yankees.

ajbidwell

I think there is one other franchise that could compete with Harry Potter, that being Lord of the Rings. I think bringing Middle Earth to Hollywood Studios would be amazing and has tons of potential. But I digress..

twebber55

I think there is one other franchise that could compete with Harry Potter, that being Lord of the Rings. I think bringing Middle Earth to Hollywood Studios would be amazing and has tons of potential. But I digress..
this is the one thats the shocker to me..why this isnt in a theme park is unbelievable to me

tomman710

This is right on...

I too think avatarland would be huge for AK. i understand the flack around it not being disney, but was star wars? indiana jones? the vessle in which avatarland would become could transform the park, bring it into the night and even allow for a place other than epcot for imagineers to stretch their creative arms with new technologies, rides and experiences. im all for avatarland.

moreover, what would carsland have to do with AK? HS would make the most sense, as pixar already has a footprint in that park. AK needs this.

I don't think the flack was about it not being Disney because as you mentioned Star Wars and Indy are beloved and not Disney ... no the flack for Avatar was that it was not a good film, doesn't have a strong fan base, and (despite the 1st film BO) really isn't proven to be a part of the zeitgeist.

ctxak98

As of this moment, "Avatarland" is on hold. The official statement says "Creative Differences". Those same "creative differences" were what brought Harry Potter to Universal. I'll be shocked if we ever see "Avatarland" at Disney. And for one time, I will defend Disney on the decision not to spend money. Harry Potter is a beloved story that will be read and told for decades to come. Does anyone care in the least bit about anything or anyone in Avatar?

I'm not saying people care much about the characters....its the world of pandora that is so fascinating. I would actually rather walk on pandora then hogwarts but hey....its just my opinion. I actually like avatar though and I think its a great film. Is I the best movie ever? No! But its still enjoyable. The things disney could do with it..are endless. The world is so new and fresh.

captainkidd

I hate Lord Of The Rings, but I agree. It's insanely popular.

captainkidd

I'm not saying people care much about the characters....its the world of pandora that is so fascinating. I would actually rather walk on pandora then hogwarts but hey....its just my opinion. I actually like avatar though and I think its a great film. Is I the best movie ever? No! But its still enjoyable. The things disney could do with it..are endless. The world is so new and fresh.

What could they do with it? It's a jungle where humans can't breathe. The special effects won't be something you can walk through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom