Disney to make an expansion announcement today.

ctxak98

What could they do with it? It's a jungle where humans can't breathe. The special effects won't be something you can walk through.

How do you know that? The world is not just a jungle. Its a new planet of new wildlife and creatures. So harry potter is just a castle with moving stair cases and pictures that talk. I don't see why avatar can't compete with it.

captainkidd

How do you know that? The world is not just a jungle. Its a new planet of new wildlife and creatures. So harry potter is just a castle with moving stair cases and pictures that talk. I don't see why avatar can't compete with it.

I'm not a fan at all of Harry Potter, but even I know it's much more than that.

Why not just purchase the rights to DC Comics and make an entire land based on Krypton? Or Gotham City?

Mawg

I think the expansion announcment was already made today. DAK is offering new menu items and drinks and they are building a new walkway in the parking lot. That's it, nothing to see here, now move along.

twebber55

MAYBE an ok movie on it's own... but, how the hell is this related to Disney?
its not..nor is marvel or star wars or TOT..man if you re one of those traditionalist who thinks disney should keep it in property i totally get that..im not and i think they made a mistake with potter and are doing it again...2.7 billion gross and two more movies makes me think they could ve been on to something..more than anything else im pro expansion

DisneyWall-E

I know the answer and its been said before but I'll shoot this dead horse again: Where the hell is my Star Wars Land?!?!?!
Even if Disney had to give up a chunk of there merch sales it would still make them way way way more money than who knows what.

ddbowdoin

its not..nor is marvel or star wars or TOT..man if you re one of those traditionalist who thinks disney should keep it in property i totally get that..im not and i think they made a mistake with potter and are doing it again...2.7 billion gross and two more movies makes me think they could ve been on to something..more than anything else im pro expansion

attractions don't equate to lands...

Avatar is a short term interest, not a classic and something future generations will just forget about

tomman710

I'm pro expansion and I'd be OK with AvLand if it got SOMETHING to the parks but you cannot base Avatar's popularity off the BO gross ... it's not a very good film, its not very popular, and it doesn't have the fanbase ... and who knows if ever that the sequels will actually come out. I hear for this one he's trying to actually write scripts, so considering how long the first one took to make without a script ... who knows when the sequels will come out.

AND I HATE that TDO has pushed me to the point that I'd be OK with a movie I hated coming to the parks just to get something ... that makes me sick.

Skibum1970

There is no way AvatarLand will ever compete with Potter. The fan base, merch opportunities, and fan base isn't even in the same galaxy. True, maybe they could develop some ground breaking ride that would be fun ... but I've never ever seen any one of any age with any Avatar merchandise and I've been plenty of places where people tend to go and I have kids ...

... in fact the ONLY place I've ever seen Avatar merch is in the discount bins at Barnes and Noble.

Merch is where the money is ... Avatar is a 3 year old tee ball team and Potter is the 62' Yankees.

Plus, Potter had an extremely successful line of books to back up the movies and the books appealed to all ages (seemingly). Avatar is one movie that does not seem to shout "Classic". Ticket sales were good but, since then, the shine has faded. I would be very happy to see DHS get the funding instead.

twebber55

attractions don't equate to lands...

Avatar is a short term interest, not a classic and something future generations will just forget about
thats your opinion..truth is we dont know..most people believe that the land could be incredibly immersive... cars movie meh..cars land great!

SirLink

Because it hasn't made it into the zeitgeist - unlike Harry Potter, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, LOTR, POTC, etc.

What is that one line people quote like: 'Luke, I'm your Father', 'Your a Wizard Harry', 'Why did it have to be snakes?', 'Non shalt pass', etc. Or even terms like Muggles, Lightsabers, etc.

Avatar hasn't reached that. We humans have made some pretty interesting mythological fauna and flora which have been in tales for 1000's of years. We could use those instead - and have some creativity, but who likes creativity when we can just license a brand.

:eek:

captainkidd

I know the answer and its been said before but I'll shoot this dead horse again: Where the hell is my Star Wars Land?!?!?!
Even if Disney had to give up a chunk of there merch sales it would still make them way way way more money than who knows what.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I mean they've got a Star Wars ride, and a Star Wars weekend. The only thing I can think of is that the size would have to be too big. Literally, an entire theme park could be made. You've got Hoth, Endor, Tattooine, Corescant, Naboo. To say nothing of the obvious need for a Death Star.

M.rudolf

As of this moment, "Avatarland" is on hold. The official statement says "Creative Differences". Those same "creative differences" were what brought Harry Potter to Universal. I'll be shocked if we ever see "Avatarland" at Disney. And for one time, I will defend Disney on the decision not to spend money. Harry Potter is a beloved story that will be read and told for decades to come. Does anyone care in the least bit about anything or anyone in Avatar?
There has been no official statement yet

tomman710

Because it hasn't made it into the zeitgeist yet - unlike Harry Potter, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, LOTR, POTC, etc.

What is that one line people quote like: 'Luke, I'm your Father', 'Your a Wizard Harry', 'Why did it have to be snakes?', 'Non shalt pass', etc. Or even terms like Muggles, Lightsabers, etc.

Avatar hasn't reached it yet. We humans have made some pretty interesting mythological fauna and flora which have been in tales for 1000's of years. We could use those instead - and have some creativity, but who likes creativity when we can just license a brand.

:eek:

Remember that one awesome line from Avatar ... wait, hang on ... I know it ... it's ... something ... like ... no no give me a second ... you know the one guy who didn't have a name I don't think and he was talking to the Ribisi kid ... and then the girl from Girlfight was with Ripley ... or ... no no I have this ... it's ...

SirLink

Remember that one awesome line from Avatar ... wait, hang on ... I know it ... it's ... something ... like ... no no give me a second ... you know the one guy who didn't have a name I don't think and he was talking to the Ribisi kid ... and then the girl from Girlfight was with Ripley ... or ... no no I have this ... it's ...

Exactly my point dear friend :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom