Disney to make an expansion announcement today.

Mawg

Remember that one awesome line from Avatar ... wait, hang on ... I know it ... it's ... something ... like ... no no give me a second ... you know the one guy who didn't have a name I don't think and he was talking to the Ribisi kid ... and then the girl from Girlfight was with Ripley ... or ... no no I have this ... it's ...

Was it "Kill em All"

M.rudolf

Yeah, I don't get that either. I mean they've got a Star Wars ride, and a Star Wars weekend. The only thing I can think of is that the size would have to be too big. Literally, an entire theme park could be made. You've got Hoth, Endor, Tattooine, Corescant, Naboo. To say nothing of the obvious need for a Death Star.
I agree give me jedi,sith,yoda droids and hell even ewoks and prequels

bunnyman

There is no way AvatarLand will ever compete with Potter. The fan base, merch opportunities, and fan base isn't even in the same galaxy. True, maybe they could develop some ground breaking ride that would be fun ... but I've never ever seen any one of any age with any Avatar merchandise and I've been plenty of places where people tend to go and I have kids ...

... in fact the ONLY place I've ever seen Avatar merch is in the discount bins at Barnes and Noble.

Merch is where the money is ... Avatar is a 3 year old tee ball team and Potter is the 62' Yankees.

Agree. Potter was very unique in that they had a built-in fan base with both kids and adults who lined up late at night for the books being released (been there done that with my teens), often in costumes, and then you had a built-in audience for the movies. I’ve always thought that Avatar was a one and done type of film. Like Titanic, it looked pleasing to the eye, and Avatar hit at the perfect time with 3D peaking and the CG was great. When it was coming out on DVD/Blue Ray, it was the perfect thing to show in stores to demo the latest flat screen and 3D TV’s. Every time I walked by the Sony store in the mall or walked through Best Buy or Target at the time, Avatar was on every TV screen.

Like someone else said, the only place they see it now is on the discount shelf at Barnes & Noble. It didn’t really have L/T staying power, and it never seemed to be one of those films that someone pops on the TV to watch from time to time (not trying to offend anyone if you do like to do this, I’m just making a generality). It kind of reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Looked great, effects for the time were good, but it was way too long and seemed to become a great movie to sleep through when it is on cable in later years. Arthur C. Clarke wrote a novelization of the film that came out with the film, and I think wrote three sequels. Plus, they later did a second movie from one of the sequels with Roy Scheider, that didn’t do too well. Nothing past the first one got any attention, which I’ve always felt will doom Avatar long-term. Now, that being said I’m sure Avatar 2 will generate decent results just based on the curiosity factor, but after that….?

El Grupo

its not..nor is marvel or star wars or TOT..man if you re one of those traditionalist who thinks disney should keep it in property i totally get that..im not and i think they made a mistake with potter and are doing it again...2.7 billion gross and two more movies makes me think they could ve been on to something..more than anything else im pro expansion

I'm not a fan of bringing Cars Land or Avatar to WDW. However, if an expansion decision was being made based on which franchise has generated the most revenue, Cars is North of $11 billion when merchandise is factored in. And that total just keeps growing.

TalkingHead

Ok, today's announcement is that they are adding 1,000 seats to F!

No one could bother to respond to this because it was more important to discuss the merits of Potter, Marvel, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Twilight...am I missing anything?

Is that really the announcement? 1000 more seats? I hope so, I need a good laugh today.

tomman710

I was wrong! Ferngully did have a sequel for Cameron to pull from ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129924/

You heard it here first ... Avatar 2 plot ... Jake and the Avatarians (is that right?) venture off the planet when some of their animals and friends of Pandora are kidnapped by poachers (I mean kidnapped by people of Earth).

So now he just has to figure out what to do for 3 and 4 ... I wonder if someone has shown him this yet? Can someone get his people a copy of this? Maybe then we can get this project moving again.

captainkidd

No one could bother to respond to this because it was more important to discuss the merits of Potter, Marvel, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Twilight...am I missing anything?

Is that really the announcement? 1000 more seats? I hope so, I need a good laugh today.

They will also be adding 10 more beer vendors to sell to the crowds.

SirLink

I was wrong! Ferngully did have a sequel for Cameron to pull from ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129924/

You heard it here first ... Avatar 2 plot ... Jake and the Avatarians (is that right?) venture off the planet when some of their animals and friends of Pandora are kidnapped by poachers (I mean kidnapped by people of Earth).

So now he just has to figure out what to do for 3 and 4 ... I wonder if someone has shown him this yet? Can someone get his people a copy of this? Maybe then we can get this project moving again.

Avatar 3 saving Pandora from the evil Media company with theme park division.
Avatar 4 saving Pandora from a Solar Flare.

M.rudolf

Trust me - It's been delayed. This is the exact same thing I heard when I was at Universal a few weeks ago.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...te-ign-reporting-delays-to-avatar-project.htm
Here's the site the original interview came from.
http://collider.com/jon-landau-avatar-sequels-titanic-3d-interview/192618/
No mention of Disney or avatarland at all. Ign is like screamscape.
They credit indie wire with original story but no source was given only guesswork by reporter. Still nothing official. Is it delayed more than likely does anyone have a statement from Disney or Cameron no

cynic710

I don't think the flack was about it not being Disney because as you mentioned Star Wars and Indy are beloved and not Disney ... no the flack for Avatar was that it was not a good film, doesn't have a strong fan base, and (despite the 1st film BO) really isn't proven to be a part of the zeitgeist.

the story is basically pochahontas of the future, combine that with the canvas of pandora and imagineers will be able to run wild with ideas. (see awesome light up plant footage). The rides, experiences and sights from that world alone would last much longer than one would think. Not to mention that the films themselves are still due out, compared to the now complete harry potter films. i think avatar is being harvested for its visuals, story (which is nature, family and peace) and potential for interactive enjoyment.

M.rudolf

Pandorians, I think is proper.

twebber55

the story is basically pochahontas of the future, combine that with the canvas of pandora and imagineers will be able to run wild with ideas. (see awesome light up plant footage). The rides, experiences and sights from that world alone would last much longer than one would think. Not to mention that the films themselves are still due out, compared to the now complete harry potter films. i think avatar is being harvested for its visuals, story (which is nature, family and peace) and potential for interactive enjoyment.
i agree and no matter how many times you bring this up people ignore it and bash the plot..when i n reality its about the visuals

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom