News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

Sir_Cliff

Would you have said the same about paid Fastpass?

I really thought there was a price ceiling Disney would hit. Disney fans just keep proving me wrong.
Who knows, I guess. Perhaps the lure will be the opportunity to sit around in the clubhouse with likeminded people planning their bi-annual cruises on the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser?

DfromATX

Count me among those who find this a weird move by Disney.

Is it just me, or does deciding to live in a "Storyliving by Disney" community sound like something you would feel a little embarrassed admitting to your friends and relatives? I don't really see this as something where Disney's brand is going to be as strong a selling point as they think. Nothing they're showing suggests Disney has any special ability to develop a planned community beyond what any other developer could do, so the brand seems to be the selling point. Who knows, maybe they will also invent a fake historical baking contest backstory for whatever chain confectionary store opens up?
I think it's a little weird. I'm curious what type of person would want to live there. I love Disney, but I guess not that much. And even if I had that kind of money, I would probably pick somewhere else to live, but that's just me.

mightynine

Interesting nugget from this article from The Verge (forgive me, I didn't read any of the PR for this):

Members of the public will be able to visit Cotino by purchasing day passes, while a section of the development will be set aside for residents aged 55 and up. Prices for accommodation and financing options have not been announced, and Disney has also yet to share when construction will begin or when residents might be able to move in.
I would think that would be a negative for someone considering living there, but I guess it's not uncommon to other mixed-use developments like this, aside from charging for entry.

lazyboy97o

I thought Disney sold Celebration and was essentially done with it?
Disney started selling off bits of Celebration from the very beginning with the houses. The big thing they did at the end of Eisner’s tenure was they sold the Town Center (where the retail is) and some of the office buildings. They also dropped their level of control of the homeowners association early, but it always had to happen. Disney still owns The Celebration Company and is still involved in the ongoing development.

So they’re still involved but less involved than they once were. They no longer hire prominent architects to design portions nor do they insist on any sort of actual pedestrian oriented design. It’s just another housing development.

Poseidon Quest

One thing to note is just how absolutely insulting the marketing for this is. Disney loves to throw around the word "storytelling" when they clearly don't even know how to execute that anymore. Remember when Josh D`Amaro was quoted as saying that the new interactive water fountain in ToonTown would "leverage Disney's powerful brand" in creating new stories for guests?

This stinks exactly of that and I'm curious why people aren't calling out Disney's marketing for just downright talking down to their consumers. "Storytelling" means absolutely nothing to this company any more, and certainly does not play a role in this residential community.

In addition, why are they building a nicely landscaped community in the desert that features a lagoon, when drought and water allocation are a huge environmental issue in the American west? Deep down we all know that the environmental friendliness of most corporations is only applied when it makes financial sense (like the WDW solar farms), but they really dropped the curtain here.

Of course there are also concerns about the timing of this. I anticipate that housing prices are going to be decreasing pretty dramatically over the next few years, just in time for this to debut. What ridiculous timing.

It almost seems like this was announced as some sort of poorly conceived attempt at bumping the stock prices back up, yet I can see it doing the opposite.

denyuntilcaught

One thing to note is just how absolutely insulting the marketing for this is. Disney loves to throw around the word "storytelling" when they clearly don't even know how to execute that anymore. Remember when Josh D`Amaro was quoted as saying that the new interactive water fountain in ToonTown would "leverage Disney's powerful brand" in creating new stories for guests?

This stinks exactly of that and I'm curious why people aren't calling out Disney's marketing for just downright talking down to their consumers. "Storytelling" means absolutely nothing to this company any more, and certainly does not play a role in this residential community.
The marketing isn't insulting, it's just bland and composed of every buzzword possible. It's trash, but I wouldn't call it insulting.

Sir_Cliff

People who are interested in living in master planned communities in general I imagine...
But this is where I wonder if the Disney brand is more a minus than a plus. It's one thing to decide to move to an expensive planned community built by a random developer no-one really has any thoughts about. It seems a lot more cringey to announce to everyone you're moving into a Storyliving by Disney community.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But this is where I wonder if the Disney brand is more a minus than a plus. It's one thing to decide to move to an expensive planned community built by a random developer no-one really has any thoughts about. It seems a lot more cringey to announce to everyone you're moving into a Storyliving by Disney community.
I guess the question is going to be, how much Disney stuff is actually a part of it? Is it in your face Disney or is it just the Walt Disney Company doing something entirely different without shoving Mickey in your face.

DfromATX

Oh, I agree. It seems like a master planned community on steroids. Only saying that people interesting in the type of lifestyle that a master planned community gives you may be interested in something like this.
"on steroids" ha ha that made me laugh. I don't know all the details, but isn't it also a 55+ community? There are lots of nice "master planned communities" out there. I wouldn't mind living in one. They usually have everything. There's tons of them in Florida. So... if it is 55+, then it must be aimed towards super wealthy retirees who really, really love Disney? And in California of all places.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"on steroids" ha ha that made me laugh. I don't know all the details, but isn't it also a 55+ community? There are lots of nice "master planned communities" out there. I wouldn't mind living in one. They usually have everything. There's tons of them in Florida. So... if it is 55+, then it must be aimed towards super wealthy retirees who really, really love Disney? And in California of all places.

"Prices, financing, and other details have not been announced, but the development will include a variety of properties such as condominiums, single-family homes, and estates. Rental units are not anticipated to be part of the mix. Families with young children and people of all ages will be able to purchase properties. Some of Cotino’s neighborhoods, however, will be designated for residents 55 and older, a market in which Disney seems especially interested"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom