News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

mightynine

That’s possible too, will be interesting to see who owns/operates it. Saying that, this is getting back to the times when WED used to design things for the real world in addition to the theme parks.
Depends on whether it will be unique to each instance or just WDI designs a "bible" that can be adapted to fit the size of the community.

Now, can you take your beef to the HOA when someone asks for the "Beacons of Magic" Christmas light package for their home?

trainplane3

“Disney is so stale and doesn’t have imagination anymore”

*Disney does something new and out of the ordinary*

“I hope it dies a miserable death before it even opens”
I'll be honest, a neighborhood project is something that's probably one of the most boring projects out there. Especially when you have housing being built everywhere and it all ends up looking the same. How will Disney make this unique? Mickeys everywhere? Not streets full of the same crummy cladded housing that you see everywhere now?

It will need more then a "storytelling" gimmick.

GO works because it focuses on such a small part of the population and brings a bunch of unique offerings to those that can afford while being another "regular" mansion filled, rich people neighborhood.

Point is, too much Disney branding and 55+ won't want to live in some "kids" neighborhood. Not enough Disney branding, then why would I want to pay a premium to live in a non-Disney looking, Disney owned neighborhood?

So will these houses & community spaces be designed by WDI? Like I just don’t get why the company is dedicating resources to this right now
Housing makes "easy" $$$. Toss up some apartments, charge what you want, and you'll most likely be successful. Look at the housing market right now as an example.

MagicHappens1971

I'll be honest, a neighborhood project is something that's probably one of the most boring projects out there. Especially when you have housing being built everywhere and it all ends up looking the same. How will Disney make this unique? Mickeys everywhere? Not streets full of the same crummy cladded housing that you see everywhere now?

It will need more then a "storytelling" gimmick.

GO works because it focuses on such a small part of the population and brings a bunch of unique offerings to those that can afford while being another "regular" mansion filled, rich people neighborhood.

Point is, too much Disney branding and 55+ won't want to live in some "kids" neighborhood. Not enough Disney branding, then why would I want to pay a premium to live in a non-Disney looking, Disney owned neighborhood?

Housing makes "easy" $$$. Toss up some apartments, charge what you want, and you'll most likely be successful. Look at the housing market right now as an example.
I agree with you on that, this just seems kind of outlandish, Disney isn’t a real estate developer. And on top of that, they’re already spending billions on Disney+ and little investments here at WDW. UOR is gearing up to launch their third theme park and Disney is gearing up to house our grandparents.

castlecake2.0

So will these houses & community spaces be designed by WDI? Like I just don’t get why the company is dedicating resources to this right now
Because the pandemic showed how quickly Disney can be impacted by public health regulations/restrictions. I think this and the metaverse is a direct reaction to the last two years as the company looks to diversify its revenue opportunities

castlecake2.0

I agree with you on that, this just seems kind of outlandish, Disney isn’t a real estate developer. And on top of that, they’re already spending billions on Disney+ and little investments here at WDW. UOR is gearing up to launch their third theme park and Disney is gearing up to house our grandparents.
They do have some experience in the field, Little Lake Bryan, Celebration, and Flamingo Crossings being examples .

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Because the pandemic showed how quickly Disney can be impacted by public health regulations/restrictions. I think this and the metaverse is a direct reaction to the last two years as the company looks to diversify its revenue opportunities
I don't get why people expect them to box themselves in with the same stuff. Let them try different projects and if it doesn't work out, shareholders and stakeholders will respond. If people think that Disney not doing this would mean an updated attraction in an Epcot pavilion instead, they have it wrong.

lazyboy97o

Because the housing market never crashes?

They do have some experience in the field, Little Lake Bryan, Celebration, and Flamingo Crossings being examples .

The Celebration Company now outsourced their work. Island Village is being done by Mattamy, a bland tract developer.

VJ

To me, this just comes across as an opportunity for Disney to charge a consulting and designing fee, and maybe a regular licensing fee to the HOA for use of the "Storyliving by Disney" mark?
Pretty much. Licensing the Disney name and brand while not needing to do much else, as usual:
Disney is not the developer of Cotino™, a Storyliving by Disney community or the builder or seller of homes within Storyliving by Disney communities; third-parties developing and building are independently owned and operated.

trainplane3

I agree with you on that, this just seems kind of outlandish, Disney isn’t a real estate developer.
True, that's why they're "partnering" with someone that is.

Personal thoughts: Want to make it feel Disney and standout?
- Shows. Monthly drone show over the lake-thing. Once you sell a chunk of the housing, the drones should be very cheap.
- The clubhouse thing. Hold themed events there on a monthly or quarterly basis. Give the retirees something fun to do, maybe invite some relatives. Bring in a couple characters. Nothing huge but something to bring people together, socialize.
- Shopping complex nearby? A simple out and back peoplemover from one end of the community to the shopping area. Cheap system to build and staff, should be simple to maintain compared to WDWs. Will give off the original "EPCOT CENTER" feeling while feeling modern. Extremely unique gimmick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom