News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

mightynine

Because the pandemic showed how quickly Disney can be impacted by public health regulations/restrictions. I think this and the metaverse is a direct reaction to the last two years as the company looks to diversify its revenue opportunities
Could be, or Storyliving could just be a way to find another licensing opportunity for the Disney name.

As for the metaverse, I think any company, especially an entertainment one, would be dinged by Wall Street for not at least paying lip service to it. I still have my doubts anything will come out of it because I don't think VR's "there" yet, though you could say it's at it's most accessible point.

castlecake2.0

Because the housing market never crashes?

The Celebration Company now outsourced their work. Island Village is being done by Mattamy, a bland tract developer.
Any market can crash, this gives them more diversification. Most of celebration was built by Mattamy, but the overall design was/is controlled by TCC.

Sir_Cliff

Count me among those who find this a weird move by Disney.

Is it just me, or does deciding to live in a "Storyliving by Disney" community sound like something you would feel a little embarrassed admitting to your friends and relatives? I don't really see this as something where Disney's brand is going to be as strong a selling point as they think. Nothing they're showing suggests Disney has any special ability to develop a planned community beyond what any other developer could do, so the brand seems to be the selling point. Who knows, maybe they will also invent a fake historical baking contest backstory for whatever chain confectionary store opens up?

Mickeyboof

Eh. Excited for Disney to try a new project of this scale… but the majority of the keynote had an “additional fee required” disclaimer.

Who wants to live in a place where every single thing to do is with an additional payment? Is there going to be Genie+ Lightning Lane Premium Plus to swim in the lake?

Most lakes are free to enjoy. Though, I figure the rich clientele won’t notice the dozens of membership fees.

Typical Disney to make every single item a la carte. Makes them look cheap, honestly.

Disneyson

This feels very 90s Disney, which to me is a very good thing. Because there will be a hotel, I imagine some of the “Disney entertainment” will be pretty good. My predictions:

- The first on-land Paolo’s.

- The resurrection of a concept like Club Disney or DisneyQuest.

- A restauraunt with thematic flexibility like the rumored “black box” ride at DHS to host…

- Thematic celebrations based on holidays, upcoming Disney films, anniversary celebrations, and corporate/wedding/birthday buy-outs, tied in with…

- …an El Capitan sister property similar in theme to the Walt Disney Theater on DCL (tying into the stretch that “Walt Disney Lived Here”), which has similar amenities like pre-show characters and special lobby exhibits.

- Aulani-style facilities that celebrate the local culture.

- BOLD PREDICTION: The return of the Adventurer’s Club with subscription. The club members only come by a few days a month because they are “out on adventures” and then it turns into a regular bar with trivia and sports. New artifacts come in every 1/2 a year, or so Disney says until they cheap out.

VJ

Who wants to live in a place where every single thing to do is with an additional payment? Is there going to be Genie+ Lightning Lane Premium Plus to swim in the lake?
Disney guests have shown they'll put up with whatever price or upcharge they have to, to have a "magical" experience. This is the logical next step.

danv3

This feels very 90s Disney, which to me is a very good thing. Because there will be a hotel, I imagine some of the “Disney entertainment” will be pretty good. My predictions:

- The first on-land Paolo’s.

- The resurrection of a concept like Club Disney or DisneyQuest.

- A restauraunt with thematic flexibility like the rumored “black box” ride at DHS to host…

- Thematic celebrations based on holidays, upcoming Disney films, anniversary celebrations, and corporate/wedding/birthday buy-outs, tied in with…

- …an El Capitan sister property similar in theme to the Walt Disney Theater on DCL (tying into the stretch that “Walt Disney Lived Here”), which has similar amenities like pre-show characters and special lobby exhibits.

- Aulani-style facilities that celebrate the local culture.

- BOLD PREDICTION: The return of the Adventurer’s Club with subscription. The club members only come by a few days a month because they are “out on adventures” and then it turns into a regular bar with trivia and sports. New artifacts come in every 1/2 a year, or so Disney says until they cheap out.

Or maybe they could just fix the parks...?

Gillyanne

Disney is masterplanning, but I imagine it will be like Golden Oak where developers are responsible for individual housing designs.

Yeah sounds like, this was the "disclaimer" at the bottom of the email I got about it:

Disney is not the developer of Cotino™, a Storyliving by Disney community or the builder or seller of homes within Storyliving by Disney communities. The parties developing, and building homes in, Storyliving by Disney communities are independently owned and operated. This does not constitute an offer to sell, or a solicitation to buy, real estate to residents of any state or jurisdiction where prohibited by law, or where prior registration is required, but has not yet been fulfilled. Equal Housing Opportunity. Broker participation welcome. See storylivingbydisney.com for full details. [Page Pierce, DRE License No. 02161670]

VJ

I think moving out to the Coachella Valley to "give your life story a brilliant new setting" might be asking a little too much even of the most devoted WDW fan.
Would you have said the same about paid Fastpass?

I really thought there was a price ceiling Disney would hit. Disney fans just keep proving me wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom