News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

castlecake2.0

This is not true. We are in Celebration, and can attest that David Weekly built a large portion of the original homes. Issa is also common builder in town. McNally did a lot of the custome estate homes.
My bad, though my point was more that Disney never “built” the town, they were the planner and other contractors did the work. Also hello from main village! :)
Disney tried this 50 years ago with Lake Buena Vista.

Didn't work.
It didn’t work there because they were too scared to allow residents voting rights. Same reason the residential areas of celebration were removed from RCID.

lazyboy97o

The timing of this is pure Bob-level genius! 5 to 6 interest rate hikes coming in the next year, meaning mortgages rates will be jumping up, the housing market will cool off, and people won't be looking to buy something like this. Brilliant!!! Give the bald-headed dork a raise on top of it!
In that aspect it may be smart. Disney isn’t actually doing the building and selling, that’s someone else.

EPCOT, Lake Buena Vista, Celebration....

There's decades of company research and practical experiments to demonstrate why Disney struggles with planned communities.

Golden Oak works because the inventory/number of occupants is so small.
Golden Oak also completely looks any sort of aspiration beyond being sprawl.

Robbiem

its hard to know what this will actually be. Will disney actually be involved in the master planning or will they provide decoration type service and run a clubhouse?

I think its interesting there isn’t any mention of EPCOT, Celebration or Val d’Europe in France which makes me think this is more of a branding idea for the developers rather than a genuine attempt to make something new

Disneyson

I think the major issue with this press release is that it does not once conjure a “story” - instead, it lists off buildings and amenities. They never discuss what it will be to live in this community - and how to engage in “storyliving”. They don’t even give a fake Town backstory or examples of any sort of day-in-the-life. They don’t even go into any detail about what makes Palm Springs so magical as the did at the announcement of Aulani, aside from “Walt lived nearby for a time”.

They’ve gotta make good on the name.

el_super

This is a bold move for current day Disney. Celebration was a investment town in my opinion. This seems to be billed as a utopia built and managed by Disney. Seems more akin to Walts big goal, which is awesome but the pass/fail grade will be so tough and the ultimate answer to if they really can achieve what Walt wanted.

I think it's still too early to tell, but there is something telling about Disney offering "Guest Service" in this community that might set it significantly apart from Celebration. Celebration wasn't really meant to be overtly Disney, and I have a feeling that this project is.

My thinking is that this will be more akin to a DVC Property (like Aulani specifically), but with homes instead of timeshares. They have the ability to offer amenities and programs that are comparable to current offerings at their resort hotels (fitness programs, institute workshops, movie nights, character events or even full entertainment productions) to a smaller audience of community members, or to a wider audience (open to the public) without it necessarily having to be in California or Florida.

Pricing may be key to this, but if they can offer a somewhat comparable price to other HOA/Community amenities while being able to offer Disney specific products, it could definitely have big demand. With some communities, you might be buying into a club house, a pool or a boat dock, but with Disney, you might be able to get a Disney caliber show.

The timing of this is pure Bob-level genius! 5 to 6 interest rate hikes coming in the next year, meaning mortgages rates will be jumping up, the housing market will cool off, and people won't be looking to buy something like this. Brilliant!!! Give the bald-headed dork a raise on top of it!

This seems shortsighted. If the economy was headed for trouble, that seems like a good indication that park investment should also be considerably slowed down. Diversification seems smart, and definitely does seem like an Eisner era move.

el_super

I think the major issue with this press release is that it does not once conjure a “story” - instead, it lists off buildings and amenities. They never discuss what it will be to live in this community - and how to engage in “storyliving”. They don’t even give a fake Town backstory or examples of any sort of day-in-the-life. They don’t even go into any detail about what makes Palm Springs so magical as the did at the announcement of Aulani, aside from “Walt lived nearby for a time”.

They’ve gotta make good on the name.

Yeah it might just be too early for that, and their primary focus is explaining the new product at the highest level.

I would imagine, from what I have seen so far, that each community is going to tell a different story. That the themes and environments would be different per location, and it makes sense they wouldn't want to spend a lot of time promoting this desert living lifestyle as being the sole face of their project.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
“Due to overwhelming consumer demand, we’re proudly introducing a brand new program: Disney's Donation and Gift Acceleration Foundation+ (Disney DGAF+)! This new program designed to allow Disney consumers the opportunity to donate money to The Walt Disney Company as never before! Consumers wants new and innovative ways to give us money, and the Disney DGAF+ further leverages our brand power to give consumers more options than ever before to do so!”

KBLovedDisney

So, in other words...

giphy.gif

Kenny is not gonna like this.

montyz81

RAAAA
Diiiick
Ulous!

This is so unimaginative that it scares me. They did it once. It is called Celebration. It didn't work. Why try again.

Cut costs to focus on building houses around the country while Imagination still sits stagnant. Bob C is just plane crazy!
His customers are not his first concern, his investors are, clearly

Piebald

Man, we finally saved up for a downpayment and I'm pretty sure we arent going to be able to find anything in the Orlando area. Its depressing and then I see this. At least the moving to Orlando Facebook groups are coming back to earth after the realization that it's very expensive here now and jobs pay like poo for money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seems like a good way to diversify the parks and resorts segment with something that will still make money regardless of public health policy

Developers make money by keep making developments. They also tend to require long term commitment long after their initial build out.

This is what other leaders would call 'sticking to your core competency'. Disney is not a developer whose strong points are regional relationships, local lobbying, local vendors, and community management. Disney is used to being the draw, you will come to me. They won't get that kind of preference when trying to do 'one and done' MPDs around the country.

Developers do all this because they know the success of community #1 will enable them to build community #2, 3, 4 in the same region.. rolling their investments forward. That doesn't work the same if you try to drop them throughout the country.

This looks like a concept Disney will not have the stomach to run out as would be needed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To me, this just comes across as an opportunity for Disney to charge a consulting and designing fee, and maybe a regular licensing fee to the HOA for use of the "Storyliving by Disney" mark?
Would have been a lot better idea to partner with real community developers and license the brand and sell design services. But maybe others can't stomach $200 million dollar WDI bills for ideas and drawings? :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney isn't even maintaining it's service standards in it's own properties.. you gonna risk buying into a community for a decade+ based on amenities that are going to require either huge subsidies or huge HOA fees to maintain?

Disney is squeezing blood from the stone in their biggest most lucriative cash cow... I have no confidence they will splurge, and continue to splurge for a decade + on a community after they are done with the selling.

lazyboy97o

Would have been a lot better idea to partner with real community developers and license the brand and sell design services. But maybe others can't stomach $200 million dollar WDI bills for ideas and drawings? :)
That is what they are doing. Disney is not building or selling the houses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom