Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Wilt Dasney

:rolleyes:

How is Epcot an affront? Because it's not a city?

I firmly believe Walt would have loved Epcot. It's a great park, and it gets the job done. I also firmly believe Walt himself would have realized his city idea was impossible.

But making something in one of his parks the complete opposite of what he wanted, that's just wrong.
There's a part of me...I'll admit, it's not a very kind part...that really wishes Walt would have lived to 100, just on the off chance that he would have kept coming up with crazier ideas the older (and progressively meaner and more senile) he got.

Like maybe after EPCOT the City, he would have moved on to underwater ski resorts, or retirement communities on the moon...and been reduced to fits of profanity and started firing everybody in the room whenever WED told him they weren't feasible.

SirGoofy

How do you know that is what he wanted or likes? How do you know he wouldn't love Dinoland USA? The man was all about telling a great story and making something amazing with great detail. To me, Dinorama has great detail so I could firmly believe Walt would love that, but I won't as I don't feel I should decide what a man who is dead would like or dislike.

I said believe. Read my posts.:wave:

When Walt was came up with the idea for Disneyland he constantly said how much he disliked carnivals and how they hawked cheap games and prizes to get people's money.

What does Dinorama have?

I believe he would love Dinoland, minus the Dinorama section.

SirGoofy

There's a part of me...I'll admit, it's not a very kind part...that really wishes Walt would have lived to 100, just on the off chance that he would have kept coming up with crazier ideas the older (and progressively meaner and more senile) he got.

Like maybe after EPCOT the City, he would have moved on to underwater ski resorts, or retirement communities on the moon...and been reduced to fits of profanity and started firing everybody in the room whenever WED told him they weren't feasible.

:ROFLOL:

Seriously, I just had a small spit take.

_Scar

I said believe. Read my posts.:wave:

When Walt was came up with the idea for Disneyland he constantly said how much he disliked carnivals and how they hawked cheap games and prizes to get people's money.

What does Dinorama have?

I believe he would love Dinoland, minus the Dinorama section.

But Epcot isn't what Walt had intended. How can you argue that one Goofy?

SirGoofy

But Epcot isn't what Walt had intended. How can you argue that one Goofy?

Easily.

The only way EPCOT would have worked as it was originally intended was with a visionary like Walt to develope it. After he was gone, the guys at WED were at a loss as to what to do with the EPCOT project. They realized that it wouldn't work with out Walt, so they built the theme park to inspire the future generations as a tribute to Walt.:wave:

Figment632

Easily.

The only way EPCOT would have worked as it was originally intended was with a visionary like Walt to develope it. After he was gone, the guyps at WED were at a loss as to what to do with the EPCOT project. They realized that it wouldn't work with out Walt, so they built the theme park to inspire the future generations as a tribute toWalt.:wave:

Agreed. And all that cheap Dino stuff is like going out of your way to go in the opposite direction of what Walt wanted.

Wilt Dasney

On the issue of the carnival attractions...Walt might have been opposed to them personally, but I still think it's fair to say they embody an important part of Walt's vision.

Walt was big on whitewashed nostalgia: Turn-of-the-century America without the institutionalized racism and child labor, the old West without the prostitution and gunfights. Take something that previous generations remembered fondly, and take out all the icky parts.

Carnivals were a contemporary phenomenon during Walt's time, so there could be no nostalgia for them. Today it's different, as those seedy old carnivals have faded away in an age of theme parks, and there is a sense of nostalgia there. So what you get at Disney is a whitewashed version of something from the past, without the dirty midways and crooked barkers.

If he were still around, Walt's own memories of the carnivals might have biased him against realizing this, but I really think the carnival areas are consistent with the type of thinking that birthed Disneyland. (I'm not a big fan of those kinds of rides personally, but then I don't much care for Dumbo either.)

Walt was a product of his own times, so the idea that things from his own youth that he looked on negatively would one day inspire nostalgia might have caught him off guard. That doesn't mean he would have been right about it, though.

The only aspect I really object to is charging you to play the games. That part DOES feel seedy to me. I don't see why they can't just sell the prizes like merchandise while setting up the games as a free experience.

Dinoman96

On the subject, I’m pretty sure if the rumor about Walt being frozen was true, and would be unfrozen, I’m sure he would vomit seeing most of his creations now dumped down with Disney characters….I would.

Wilt Dasney

As an addendum to my previous post: there's a right way to do nostalgia and a wrong way.

Dinorama is a little too authentically tacky and cheesy for me, but I have no problem with Paradise Pier...especially with the current makeover (et al, turning the Sun Wheel into Mickey's Fun Wheel with the vintage Mickey face, replacing a dopey-looking giant orange with the Band Concert swings.)

I guess my larger point is that carnival attractions in themselves don't feel out of place in a Disney park for me...depending on how the idea is executed.

MousDad

On the subject, I’m pretty sure if the rumor about Walt being frozen was true, and would be unfrozen, I’m sure he would vomit seeing most of his creations now dumped down with Disney characters….I would.

Until unfrozen Roy showed him the sales figures.

EPCOT Explorer

Hmm... replace Imagineer 1 with Disney Finance/Accounting and I thought this was the conversation for every decision related to WDW.
Nah, just in the past 15 years or so.;):lol:

MARILWWOZ001_cov.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney actually considered doing an animated Oz film now and used the aesthetic from the Marvel Illustrated book?
See, now THAT is fine.:D Fits the genre and feel of Disney perfectly:D
Epcot may be a great park to many, but not what Walt had intended.

Certainly has the SPIRIT of what he intended.:wave:

panther726

If Dinorama were in a Universal park, it would be the first thing people on this forum would point to when trying to prove that Universal is second rate. But, since it's in AK, it's perfectly themed and wonderfully nostalgic!

Have you not been paying attention here? Most people hate it, me included.

_Scar

Ever been to Dinorama at around 5-6 when crowds are light and the weather is cool? It's amazing. Dinoland is A+ for me, and it may just be because of the great times I've had in it.

WV_Jayola

MARILWWOZ001_cov.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney actually considered doing an animated Oz film now and used the aesthetic from the Marvel Illustrated book?

Skottie Young's artwork is breath-taking in this series. He is a cartoonist's cartoonist. Can't wait to see what other stuff Disney/Marvel gets him to do!!! Any of my other comic book nerds out there picked up this series and/or HC yet?

jeff.

SWatsi

Skottie Young's artwork is breath-taking in this series. He is a cartoonist's cartoonist. Can't wait to see what other stuff Disney/Marvel gets him to do!!! Any of my other comic book nerds out there picked up this series and/or HC yet?

jeff.

I do love the look of the art. Might be picking it up in TPB.
There is a sequel mini-series coming out I think. Is Young still on this?

It could make an interesting animated film :)

The Conundrum

Have you? There are plenty of posts praising it.

and those are the people who are part of the problem with WDW.

and then people wonder why Disneyland brings attractions back fromom the grave, is bringing back hatbox ghost and retooling whole parks its because the "fans" make it so easy management to get away with stuff like dinorama.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom