Disney Store Catastrophe

earningmyfins

Original Poster
This probably isn't posted in the right section...

The other day I walked into my local Disney Store only to find that almost everything i LOVED was replaced. By what you ask? Hmm, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock. I almost threw up in my purse. I was absolutely horrified.
When I was a little girl, the Disney Store had all of the original characters (Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc.) and all of the popular characters of that time (Ariel, Belle, Simba, etc.) Now there is more Camp Rock and Hannah than there is Mickey. Walt once said, "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse." um, can someone tell me where the mouse is hiding?
I'm sick of this generation, even if I'm the majority. Someone needs to talk some sense into this world...
:shrug:

The other day I walked into my local Disney Store only to find that almost everything i LOVED was replaced. By what you ask? Hmm, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock. I almost threw up in my purse. I was absolutely horrified.
When I was a little girl, the Disney Store had all of the original characters (Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc.) and all of the popular characters of that time (Ariel, Belle, Simba, etc.) Now there is more Camp Rock and Hannah than there is Mickey. Walt once said, "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse." um, can someone tell me where the mouse is hiding?
I'm sick of this generation, even if I'm the majority. Someone needs to talk some sense into this world...

I agree. I'm still very young -early 20s- and I HATE all this new Disney crap. Hannah, Jonas...can't stand it. I miss all of the past things that made Disney unique. I hope that Disney starts to possible incorporate Disney past with Disney Present or just somehow keep some focus on how Disney was started. I know that with the times Disney has to keep up with the changes in generations but I don't think Disney needs to lose focus of what made it the most magical place (and company!) on earth!

sublimesting

All the Disney stores in and around Pittsburgh have closed except 1. They are closing most of them from what the emploees told us. That is teh reason Disney bought them back from the company they sold them to.

EpcotServo

Ya darn right!
:sohappy:

It's downright shameful that kids my age can't see past High School Musical to what quality entertainment really is.

I feel crazy that I'm watching Apocalypse Now on TCM and other kids are watching Camp Rock on Disney Channel.
:brick:

dandaman

^Agreed on all fronts to the both of you. Likewise, I'm listening to classical/movie scores among the sea of wasted talent (see: "popular") that makes up the iPods of Generation Why.

(Somewhat different facets of media, I know, but the premise still stands: I hate my generation. :lol: )

Soarinrulz

Here's what happened to the disney store that I go to.
They replaced all of the cool Disney World things with HM, HSM and Camp Rock items. And then it closed. Yikes!

Brwneyedgirl72

I agree...I was in my Disney Store this weekend and same story. They don't carry any clothing for adults anymore, and it is sad that nothing in there holds any interest. Luckily, I have a Disney Character Premier store a few minutes from my house (Sawgrass Mills Mall) that sells deeply discounted park merchandise, so that is where I do my shopping. They rotate merchandise very frequently so I can go in there almost every weekend and find something new!

sarabi

I haven't stepped into a Disney Store in at least 5 years for that very reason (sorry, all you Disney Store people out there... not your fault). I like the classics. I think they deserve their place alongside the High School Musical and Hannah Montana stuff.
I have a little girl though who will be a year old next month... perhaps sometime in the not too distant future, I will be forced to follow her into a Disney store to get some of that very crap. I suppose I will resign to that fate when the time comes.

shoppingnut

There is way too much Hannah, Jonas and Camp Rock stuff in the disney store. I long for the days when they sold quality merchandise as well as adult merchandise that wasn't a t-shirt.

I have three disney stores within 15 mins from my house. They won't be closing any of them because these three make a very good profit.

Eyorefan

You haven't been to a Disney Store in a while have you?

With Disney recently buying them back, I hope that we will see changes in the near future. I think that they are transistioning right now. We went to one near us this past weekend.

The walls were covered in backpacks and lunch boxes (perfect for back to school). There wasn't much else though. They had very little stock and a lot was 50% off. I'm guessing that means that in the fall we will start to see a change in merchindise. (At least I hope so!)

sublimesting

You haven't been to a Disney Store in a while have you?

With Disney recently buying them back, I hope that we will see changes in the near future. I think that they are transistioning right now. We went to one near us this past weekend.

The walls were covered in backpacks and lunch boxes (perfect for back to school). There wasn't much else though. They had very little stock and a lot was 50% off. I'm guessing that means that in the fall we will start to see a change in merchindise. (At least I hope so!)

Are you sure they aren't closing? That's what our stores did, then it was 60% off and 75% and 90% and gone.

wdwmomof3

My daughter bought a Hanna purse somewhere, and when we were at Disney World they had the same purse for sale in one of the stores on Main Street. I was so disappointed to see it at Disney World, but I guess thats the way some will feel to see park merchandise in the stores. Now, I can't wait for that. :) I already have a list and if I can get it before our next trip, it would be great.

vwayfan123

i recently went to a mall with the only disney store within a 100miles to find it was closed. was kinda dissapointed. all i wanted to do was check it out, but it seems like the last couple times i was there, unless your a 5 year old girl, there really is NOTHING there to buy. even something simple like a keychain, mugs, cups, towels, nothing like that. and like a bunch of people said, its all hanah montona and HSM crap...

raven

Yes. The merchandise that is in TDS now was bought from Hoop Retail by Disney when Disney bought them back. Disney won't have any merchandise in the store of their own until the Holiday season. It takes a while to plan and develope merchandise so that's why it will be late this year.

Iknewagirlnamed

I agree with the OP that I dislike most of the current stuff in The Disney Store. When I was a little girl, I practically lived at The Disney Store when I went to the mall. I am currently 20 years old, so the things that the OP related to and liked are probably the same that I did.
However, what some don't realize is that things have to be relatable to the children of TODAY. And currently, Hannah Montana and Jonas Bro's, etc are the current flavor. It used to be the classic Disney Characters, and the propular Disney Channel shows of the 80's/90's. Obviously their time has come and gone in the disney store, but they will always live on in our hearts.

Disney has to keep things fresh and relatable. That is why what is in the stores now is there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom