Disney Store Catastrophe

chris chris

This probably isn't posted in the right section...

The other day I walked into my local Disney Store only to find that almost everything i LOVED was replaced. By what you ask? Hmm, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock. I almost threw up in my purse. I was absolutely horrified.
When I was a little girl, the Disney Store had all of the original characters (Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc.) and all of the popular characters of that time (Ariel, Belle, Simba, etc.) Now there is more Camp Rock and Hannah than there is Mickey. Walt once said, "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse." um, can someone tell me where the mouse is hiding?
I'm sick of this generation, even if I'm the majority. Someone needs to talk some sense into this world...
:shrug:
well Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock are the popular characters now.

pilka214

i hate to say, but today's children are moving away from the things we all loved as children... i loved the disney store when i was young, the huge stuffed animals of mickey and the gang, and the animated movie characters. it was a family store, they had clothes for the parents and for the kids..... but there wasn't anything like hannah montana, jonas brothers (who i dislike with a great passion) and camp rock (which isn't any better then the jonas brothers), now our disney store here closed, but it had become was a childrens clothing store, obviously because it was owned by the childrens place, but all the things the youth today enjoy is different, AND I DON'T APPROVE OF IT!! I WANT OUR CARTOONS BACK!!!

MousDad

I have to say, the new line of Wall*E clothing for kids is downright cool. So were the posters.

Also, at my Disney Store this last weekend I saw a pretty even mix of all characters, etc. I don't remember a disproportionally high Disney Channel presence. I would say that Pixar items were probably the most represented.

bears163

as much as i agree with you as far what is being sold in the stores & the quality of shows on tv. I look back now & see some of the cartoons I used to watch....smurfs, speed racer (great show), bugs bunny, & countless others. There were some in there that were pretty bad as far as quality goes. Yeah hanna montana & high school musical are not the greatest shows around but for some reason they are popular. I totally agree with you they should not forget the mouse & all the characters that belong with the mouse. One question though. Why buy back all the stores only to close them?

Missing20K

Ya darn right!
:sohappy:

It's downright shameful that kids my age can't see past High School Musical to what quality entertainment really is.

I feel crazy that I'm watching Apocalypse Now on TCM and other kids are watching Camp Rock on Disney Channel.
:brick:

Hmmm, I wonder how one could create merchandising for Apocalypse Now? I'm pretty sure I would buy that sweet, retro camera he carries around. Or better yet the pro-peace pins he has.....those would sell like hotcakes. :ROFLOL: Geez, the more I think about it, you could create a whole attraction.

Not sure how old you are, Servo, but you seem fairly mature, and it amazes me that kids your age would be watching that garbage that has become the HHJN (HSM, Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers Network.)

And to think the Disney Channel used to be cool. They should bring back the Mickey Mouse Club.:sohappy:

EDIT: I wish it were different, but the young kids eat that stuff up, and it sells. However, when I was last in the world in January, there seemed to be a heckuva lot of the kiddy-pop merch EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure it's confined to the Disney Stores.

tigsmom

This probably isn't posted in the right section...

The other day I walked into my local Disney Store only to find that almost everything i LOVED was replaced. By what you ask? Hmm, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock. I almost threw up in my purse. I was absolutely horrified.
When I was a little girl, the Disney Store had all of the original characters (Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc.) and all of the popular characters of that time (Ariel, Belle, Simba, etc.) Now there is more Camp Rock and Hannah than there is Mickey. Walt once said, "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse." um, can someone tell me where the mouse is hiding?
I'm sick of this generation, even if I'm the majority. Someone needs to talk some sense into this world...
:shrug:

At least you still have a store to walk into. :(

They have to go with what sells, and right now it's the Tween stuff. :shrug:

I completely understand that Disney needs to sell what will make a profit, but I'm with the people that miss the good old days of the Disney store. The HSM CR, and HM business is just going into overkill. I miss when I could find something that I liked in the Disney Store. I just go in there now to gaze longingly at the park tickets they have for sale and browse through the Birnbaum guides. Bring back the old Disney store!!(and bring back more Disney Dollars!)

MickeyMind

I see alot of people here blaming the "youth of today" when really its not the young disney fan of today's fault, they arent left with any other options, Disney doesnt give them any.

Even the disney channel sucks now, I mean has anyone seen the kind of crap that is on that channel now? They dont have the variety they used to, now ALL their programs are geared towards kids and tweens, and none of it is worthy of the disney name imo .Its horrible, even the quality of the animation in the cartoons suck, some of the cartoons look like they were drawn by blind 10 yr olds! Nickelodeon is doing a better job at family programming than disney is, atleast spongebob is funny, and they've got nick at nite too, heck I'd even rather watch drake and josh before I watch hannah cantstandya lol But I digress...

Back to TDS: its a shame what they've done to such a beautiful and unique store, I remember how much I looked forward to going in there whenever we went to the mall. Granted as I got older, I lost a little interest in it, and didnt go as often, but they were still good stores with plenty of variety nonetheless. That perspective quickly changed the day I went to a mall in orlando last year and saw the newly renovated disney store. I was disgusted at the sight of it. Just a big red mickey shaped entrance and glass windows on both sides that let you peer into a store full of merchandise for little girls. What the heck happened? why would they get rid of such great theming and merchandise variety and replace it with such a generic lookin store for little girls?

They've become very complacent in their ways, and have pretty much become a company geared towards kids, more specifically little girls.. and they're doing it with just 4 franchises, hsm, hm, cars, and princesses..Its sad that these kids today dont know the disney I knew growing up.. Mickey seems greedier than he ever has been, and it seems like all hes worried about is his bottom line. It really is a shame that its not the same company it used to be, and sadly the only connection I feel to disney now is through the parks, and even THEY are changing, by giving you less for more money. I wish Disney would operate like classic disney did, but I dont see that happening. Disney is like the kid in class that got left back a couple of times. He thinks hes better than everyone,and he thinks everyone respects him because hes older, but what he neglects to see is that nobody really likes him anymore, and the people who did, have already moved on to higher grades.

Eyorefan

I see alot of people here blaming the "youth of today" when really its not the young disney fan of today's fault, they arent left with any other options, Disney doesnt give them any.

Even the disney channel sucks now, I mean has anyone seen the kind of crap that is on that channel now? They dont have the variety they used to, now ALL their programs are geared towards kids and tweens, and none of it is worthy of the disney name imo .Its horrible, even the quality of the animation in the cartoons suck, some of the cartoons look like they were drawn by blind 10 yr olds! Nickelodeon is doing a better job at family programming than disney is, atleast spongebob is funny, and they've got nick at nite too, heck I'd even rather watch drake and josh before I watch hannah cantstandya lol But I digress...

Back to TDS: its a shame what they've done to such a beautiful and unique store, I remember how much I looked forward to going in there whenever we went to the mall. Granted as I got older, I lost a little interest in it, and didnt go as often, but they were still good stores with plenty of variety nonetheless. That perspective quickly changed the day I went to a mall in orlando last year and saw the newly renovated disney store. I was disgusted at the sight of it. Just a big red mickey shaped entrance and glass windows on both sides that let you peer into a store full of merchandise for little girls. What the heck happened? why would they get rid of such great theming and merchandise variety and replace it with such a generic lookin store for little girls?

They've become very complacent in their ways, and have pretty much become a company geared towards kids, more specifically little girls.. and they're doing it with just 4 franchises, hsm, hm, cars, and princesses..Its sad that these kids today dont know the disney I knew growing up.. Mickey seems greedier than he ever has been, and it seems like all hes worried about is his bottom line. It really is a shame that its not the same company it used to be, and sadly the only connection I feel to disney now is through the parks, and even THEY are changing, by giving you less for more money. I wish Disney would operate like classic disney did, but I dont see that happening. Disney is like the kid in class that got left back a couple of times. He thinks hes better than everyone,and he thinks everyone respects him because hes older, but what he neglects to see is that nobody really likes him anymore, and the people who did, have already moved on to higher grades.

As the mom of a 9 year old girl I have to agree. There are very view Disney Channel Shows I want to sit down and watch with her. I have to say that I think they are slowly starting to do more stuff for boys.

Have you see the new Phines and Ferb show? Love that. I hope they start doing more stuff like that.

MickeyMind

As the mom of a 9 year old girl I have to agree. There are very view Disney Channel Shows I want to sit down and watch with her. I have to say that I think they are slowly starting to do more stuff for boys.

Have you see the new Phines and Ferb show? Love that. I hope they start doing more stuff like that.

I've heard a couple of ppl on this forum mention it, so i'll probably take a look one of these days. I've been pretty reluctant to watch anything on the disney channel lately, as you can tell by my post lol... but I'll definitly check it out

rainfully

Man... I remember when a trip to the Disney Store was nearly as magical as a trip to WDW itself... with its moving window displays... and the cool displays they had all over the walls.

Now they are just a sad shadow of what they used to be...

wedway71

It will take a while to see any massive new Merchandise push.
Buyers normally buy 6 months to a year in advance.They will have to cycle out of the Merchandise that Hoop buyers already bought.

You can expect the new Disney Store vision to be like when they first started with very unique stores with a broader mix of merchandise to bring back watches,Cells,adult clothes,figurines, and collectibles.

They only kept around 225 stores open now to be able to focus on a smaller scale and be able to bring back great Guest Shopping experience with a better selection of Merchandise.

Have to give them some time. I think some people expected the day after Disney bought the stores back to see the entire chain revamped in 48 hours and "magically" reinvent itself.

CinderALLIE

At least you have Disney stores. I buy everything online at www.disneyshopping .com. They have a wide selection of merchandise so it's not just the so-called kids stuff. I'm just about to turn 25 and I gotta say I don't mind High School Musical, dragging my friend to cinemas to see 3rd one when out (although she doesn't mind after she watched again - didn't like first time). The first time I saw it I didn't like and made fun of it but it's not that bad...IT BEATS PIXAR!!! I love the Jonas Brothers so I didn't mind Camp Rock but it needed more of them - lol. As for Hannah Montana it's not the best show but it could be worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom