'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

PeterAlt

So 2016 means that it would be 8 years since the closure of the Pleasure Island night clubs. 8 years to redevelop a shopping area. 8 years.

I just can't get over that.
Iger's (Crofton's) record on WDW so far...

AoA - 10 years
FLE - 6 years (not including land preparations)
DTD - 8 years and counting

PeterAlt

Building over nothing is easier than building inside a working structure. They also killed 11 people in the building of the Golden Gate bridge. I am sure Disney could speed up the process for you if you don't mind a few people dying in the process.
As long as its not mice or ducks or dogs or beasts or princesses or genies or lions or hyenas or fish or super heroes or toys or dwarfs or elephants or deers (oh, dear) or cats or jedis or wookies or ewoks or doids or all-things-furry or anything else which is the sole intellectual property of Walt Disney Enterprises, Inc. and/or any of its affiliates, patrons, employees, etc., including (but not limited to) authorized parties (through the express written permission) and all others pertaining to said legal license (future not included) thereof.

articos

First to get going should be the new pedestrian bridge and the entry roads realignment/bus turnaround/parking structure by the Westside, along with demo of Pollo. Kathy is the WDI lead on the project. Expect a version of Trader Sam's, if the deal gets done. PH will likely morph into a new concept from the same owners. No water show in the Village Lake.

John

I see someone mentioned there was a application for a permit that has been filed...but shouldnt there have been numerous applications filed? Something of this scope of construction would need many permits. They have to be reviewed and issued....which takes time. They say that they are going to start work next month? Wheres the permits?

SirLink

I see someone mentioned there was a application for a permit that has been filed...but shouldnt there have been numerous applications filed? Something of this scope of construction would need many permits. They have to be reviewed and issued....which takes time. They say that they are going to start work next month? Wheres the permits?

End of next month to time in with their next "media" briefing...

Next Big Thing

Iger's (Crofton's) record on WDW so far...

AoA - 10 years
FLE - 6 years (not including land preparations)
DTD - 8 years and counting
To be fair, AoA didn't truly take 10. Yes it sat empty for years after 9/11, however once AoA was officially announced, it took about 2 years. Still fairly long for a hotel, but in no way did it take 10 years.

John

Even I am tired of hearing myself bash Disney all the time. But why is it that it always seem like they are missing the mark? Are my expectations unreasonable? On the surface I like this new plan they have in place. All they had to do was include some nighlife for adults and I would have jumped up and down. I dont think I am alone in this thought process by reading a lot of the comments here. I guess I wanted them to do something that seperated this plan from being just another mall....something unique. I know.....I know....all the details havnt been released. But isnt that my point? Yes the plans are beautiful to look at so is FL....but wheres the substance? If you read this board and others you hear the same thing over and over.....give us some quality adult entertainment. If they had done this one small thing I would have been all over this project.....not that my opinion means that much. But by the looks of it I am not the only one that feels this way.....it just seems like they missed it by this much ( holding my fingers apart by a quater inch).

John

End of next month to time in with their next "media" briefing...

Yea....that probably does make sense. If they would have not done it this way everyone would have seen the plans first. This way they controlled the message. Have a soft announcement....file for permits....then make a bigger splash. See I dont always bash them.

The Mom

Premium Member
What about all the International visitors that don't have the same shops as your local mall ?
If there is a significantly higher proportion of foreigners then why shouldn't Disney want to keep them onsite for as long as possible ?

There are also many people who only shop when on vacation, as they don't have time in their schedules at home.

harryk

Even I am tired of hearing myself bash Disney all the time. But why is it that it always seem like they are missing the mark? Are my expectations unreasonable? On the surface I like this new plan they have in place. All they had to do was include some nighlife for adults and I would have jumped up and down. I dont think I am alone in this thought process by reading a lot of the comments here. I guess I wanted them to do something that seperated this plan from being just another mall....something unique. I know.....I know....all the details havnt been released. But isnt that my point? Yes the plans are beautiful to look at so is FL....but wheres the substance? If you read this board and others you hear the same thing over and over.....give us some quality adult entertainment. If they had done this one small thing I would have been all over this project.....not that my opinion means that much. But by the looks of it I am not the only one that feels this way.....it just seems like they missed it by this much ( holding my fingers apart by a quater inch).

Another shopping mall -- just bigger and better -- what else would you expect.
Something for the adults....just not in the mind of the 'adult immagineers'... maybe next time.

Must have been some sort of co-op with the FL gov't......

SirLink

Yea....that probably does make sense. If they would have not done it this way everyone would have seen the plans first. This way they controlled the message. Have a soft announcement....file for permits....then make a bigger splash. See I dont always bash them.

Don't worry I know ... there hasn't been any positive news regarding WDW lately ... plus they file for permits with themselves so not really a big deal ... when they build it and I can touch it, then I'll accept it

John

Another shopping mall -- just bigger and better -- what else would you expect.
Something for the adults....just not in the mind of the 'adult immagineers'... maybe next time.

Must have been some sort of co-op with the FL gov't......

I have said it before and I will say it again. Nothing makes money like alcohol....I thought that what Disney is about these days.....making money.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My point is basically.. 'why share the news cycle?'

If Disney released 5 store profiles in the event.. I doubt the local news would have increased their coverage long enough to give each a full run down.. their names would be tossed out during the same 90second spot, etc.

Now Disney can stretch it out and make it look like things are happening all the time when they slow roll names out and give each their own PR splash.
You are right. Some of the vendors are extremely high profile, and are going to want to handle announcements for this location on their own terms and timeline to fit other activities.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
No, the Fourth of July ones in DC, Boston, NYC & Philly are better.

Disney on NYE at the MK is close.
I'm sure you are correct.
We live in a relatively small town and our fireworks displays which are put on by the dedicated folks of some or other volunteer club and paid for entirely by donations, are comparatively anemic and lacklustre,
When my kids were young, however, their pre-Disney, unjaded little hearts used to explode every Victoria Day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom