'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

Cody5242

Tom Staggs mentioned Avatar and how he met with Rhode a few days or weeks ago to view the progress and he said its looking great. Does that mean anything or is he just trying to keep the media to think there's nothing slowing down the project?

flynnibus

Premium Member
People are gonna tire of that and not pay attention. It's not smart PR. Perhaps, the first 2-3 times ... but then no one will care.

You gotta go all in and make a splash giving big and equal play to all (within reason).

Fatigue is certainly a concern.. but you can certainly get some miles out of it and grab more screen time and let the vendors be put center stage. Imagine doing a launch for the bigger neighborhoods individually.. or at least imagine a second round where each neighborhood is flushed out with greater detail with key tenants highlighted in a rotating session format, etc.

I mean this isn't a developer trying to make a splash on a greenfield opportunity where they need to prove they are credible... being a Disney project itself is all many people need to know before they give it credence and air time. The developer and plan alone are enough to garner attention.

I think outside of our critical circles.. the lack of vendors being announced probably has little negative impact on the announcement. "Its Disney!" - carries enough expectations for most.. for us.. those expectations just bring more caution :)

WDW1974

Tom Staggs mentioned Avatar and how he met with Rhode a few days or weeks ago to view the progress and he said its looking great. Does that mean anything or is he just trying to keep the media to think there's nothing slowing down the project?

I only heard the quote he gave the Biz Journal, which sounded as confident as everything else he said.

But I have heard that Pandora is moving along, just at a much smaller size/footprint and likely will be going forward at some point in the future.

Oh, should also add that Meg was at this morning's announcement. Don't know why nobody saw her or pointed it out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Callin' it now; D23 Expo 2013, Disney announces Cars Land, details of Pandora, Lucas Land and a new World Showcase country.

TDO translation:
1) add a cardboard cutout of Lightning McQueen on Streets of America as a meet and greet.
2) same awkward picture of a bunch of dudes standing around a mostly blank model
3) new Star Wars merchandise store next to Star Tours
4) Brazillian themed bathrooms:):):):):)

Just kidding;). You had me at Carsland, the rest is just gravy over the top. Hope you are right.

Mouse Detective

Obviously it will have nightlife sans the pitfalls created by the failed PI experiment.

Now jt, we discussed this a long time ago. If it was an experiment, it lasted 18 years. And it was highly successful until it was purposely left to die.

Hey everyone, did you read the fan comments on the Disney Parks Blog? A large number of people keep bringing up the question about nightlife for adults. It's the main concern of so many. Now is a good time to post your own comments about bringing some good nightlife options to Downtown Disney Disney Springs!

DizFiz

Absolutely amazed by what I see in the concept art... hope all that I see makes it into the final rendition such beautiful detail and to mention the theme perfectly fits right into Florida.

Don't know if it has been mentioned but any status on Planet Hollywood regarding Disney Springs?

JustInTime

Interesting thought, I admit. But I don't see one thing affecting the other.

You don't think Disney Springs will be represented by that large water tower on signage? I think it could. And if the original DHS is restored (which I doubt it will) I could see some confusion among guests.

mickey2008.1

I look forward to seeing some new restaurants come in, only if they are of quality. A hyde park steak house, michael symons b-spot burgers, mario batali place, some places with a well known chef like wolfgang puck or todd english. Don't bring in an applebees, dennys or fridays, because they are everywhere and nor unique what so ever. As for the shops, same thing, keep them unique. I loike the concept though.

Lee

Adventurer
And where the hell is @Lee and @raven and even @tirian? ... one might think they all have something to say on this.
I've been out all day. How might I be of service?

My opinion of the Springs? It neither bothers nor particularly excites me. Firmly "meh".
shrug_n.gif

If they were to announce Trader Sam's...I would upgrade my feelings to "somewhat satisfied".
I won't even allow myself to dream of more than that...

Genie of the Lamp

Sorry, maybe it's just me but I'm having trouble accessing it. Says webpage can't be displayed. If anyone else has issues, just view this hear. I'll give you credit for finding it though.:)

One thing I want to point at is at 11:38, Staggs talks about how this transformation will be a substantial investment but they're not going to release specific numbers on costs/budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom