'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

John

It was either that or that and the issue of the tragic accident at Pop Century.

But I'm feeling more and more that they just don't have the tenants lined up and they think Staggs presence and the 'alleged hoopla' over today's announcement might help them.

For the sake of discussion....if this were true. They were not prepared to have this announcement. Steve has mentioned it for about a month or so that an anounncement was comming. Why couldnt they announce this a month ago? I quietly held secret hope this was going to be a nice addition. The more I think about it the more I worry for the parks. So the next three years the parks will get ZERO. I have seen this story here before...We say "there isnt anything new" and the likes of jt says...." YOur wrong, MSUSA just got a face lift.....the biggest exspansion at MK in years....SW....etc. My feeling is Whenever the subject of anything new and the likes of Staggs an co. Will point to DTD and say "look what we are doing here" I also have no faith that they will complete all phases of the project. Steve and yourself say they have some vendors lined up, How many are signed and delivered? Do they honestly believe they have enough unique and different types of buisnesses to fill the eqivilent of double the space? I dont care what anybody says, if they had that many buisnesses knocking down their door it wouldnt have taken this much time. Should we exspect a second announcement at some time......or do they keep dropping hints that it is comming....like they have done with Avatar?

Since we ( I ) brought up Avatar, you mentioned it being just one E ticket ride and a shop. So why not do it already? It isnt like you have to spread the cost out on such a small project? WHat could be the hold upon something like this? For now...today....this moment. I am not buying none of it. I am not buying Avatar....not buying Carsland.....not buying DS. Give me one good reason why I should? Because they pranced Staggs out for some nonannoucement? We wonder why Georgie wasnt there...no where to be found? Maybe he isnt buying DS either. Maybe he knows something we dont? Just maybe that was his choice? Wouldnt this been the perfect time to introduce him with something big? Something sure does smell fishy and it isnt Areil.

PhotoDave219

Well, I've heard the food at Splitsville ain't all that, so you could be right! :)

But he looked so uncomfortable and that was with a weak reporter from the O-Town Biz Journal. What would he have done with a real tough reporter asking questions?

And where the hell is @Lee and @raven and even @tirian? ... one might think they all have something to say on this.

Actually, i really like the food at Splitsville. Beats HOB. Plus you get a goblet of beer!

dupac

I bet with the reveal of the Disney inspired Vera Bradley bags that there is a strong chance of a Vera Bradley store coming. The thing I strongly dislike about all this is that the stores are anything special. We have TWO Sephoras at our local mall for goodness sake. We also have Apple, Coach, Vera Bradley, Apricot Lane, etc.

Funmeister

I don't believe that to be true.
Construction was halted due to the tremendous drop in tourism following the 9/11 attacks.

You are correct. I did say "one of the main reasons." You do not have to believe it but it is true. WDW has had challenges filling positions for years. If you ever go through "Traditions" they even explain how the resort at one time had a 10 to one hiring ratio. (For every ten people that applied one was hired.) In the 1990's this ratio changed drastically to 5 to 1 and then shorty after 3 to 1. What does this mean? They are forced to hire less than qualified people to work. But, you do not believe it and I respect your opinion.

CTXRover

Saw the plans and the video of the model. Looks good. Interested to see who fills all these shops and dining spots. Steve (wdwmagic) has been right on with the information regarding this from several months ago when he discussed that big changes were coming, right down to the day/week it was being announced (minus a 2 day delay for whatever reason). He has said multiple times on here that Disney has the vendors signed up this time and one of the reasons for going back to the drawing board after the Hyperion Wharf announcement was the unexpected interest they got from third parties to fill the spaces. I'll trust Steve (and others) that tell us the vendors are set up Just need to be patient to learn who they are...(although I've been patient for several years since PI closed, so I too am growing tired of waiting...)

Probably deserves its own thread, but I was intrigued that when Staggs talked about upcoming projects at WDW including the Princess Fairytale Hall, then Seven dwarves mine train and that Avatar was still on track as planned, that he then mentioned that the Lucas Film aquisition recently and that they are "intrigued" from a parks perspective as well, but no annoucement yet. This wasn't in response to a question, but brought up on his own accord. Curious what, if anything, is being planned at WDW with that property....

PhotoDave219

Agreed there. The site that the news was 'leaked' to was done intentionally to drum up talk and excitment for the project. Disney was not angry that the info was put out -- their own O-Town ABC affiliate ran the artwork with Tom Corliss' watermarks running up and down it. He's a tool for them whether he realizes it or not. He didn't do anything bad. Just like with MM+. There's a reason why Disney is going there. My guess is this site has refused to put out company art/plans that aren't official. And Mongello won't. So, they look at who's left that gets a decent number of eyes and can spread it. Tommy can.

I understand that he was used, I get that. I'm not sure if he does but thats not really of any matter.

Just can we stop bringing him up? He's not a member of these forums anymore, there's no need.

Disneyfan_76

I'm actually fairly impressed with the scope of these released plans. I hope they follow thru with this. I'm not as concerned about it being a glorified shopping mall. Frankly, anything is better than what is currently there. However, a lot of people enjoy shopping as a legitimate pasttime while on vacation, and it seems like they are adding a number of things to perk everyone's interest. Looks good.

PhotoDave219

I don't believe that to be true.
Construction was halted due to the tremendous drop in tourism following the 9/11 attacks.

That is 100% correct.

In other construction projects that 9/11 killed news...... They were supposed to redo the entire cluster(NaughtyWord!) that was the Splash Mountain entrance, exit, FP machines & train station area. Paperwork has been signed. Money Allocated. Ready to go. Then 9/11 hit. Project got cancelled.

PhotoDave219

Not being negative...just a realist. Did you know one of the main reasons Pop Century was never completed and sat there unfinished was because they did not have the labor to work the resort? Sure eventually they changed the theme and people booked the rooms to stay but I can tell you those rooms would have sat empty if it was not for the theme change to Animation.

Did you know you're 100% wrong?

Sorry, it has everything to do with the 9/11 attacks. Tourism stopped in this country immediately. Pop didnt open until 2004 and even THAT almost didnt happen.

I would direct you to this thread here -> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pop-century-resort-postponed.2635/

EDIT-> look at Steve's post here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pop-century-resort-postponed.2635/#post-31630

71jason

If I had writing credentials under my belt, I'd love to be on it. Bianca is leaving, Arellius Hernandez is moving over to cops. Not sure what Jason Garcia is up to.

He seems to covet a position covering Tallahassee, or at least politics. And actually his coverage--mostly on Twitter--of the Doworth election/recount was amazing. Came up with some different angles, did a lot of legwork. The man is wasting his talents rewriting TDO press releases.

And it must sting a bit to be a "real" journalist for an actual newspaper and find yourself sitting next to a guy who's basically created a "wacky" online persona.

PhotoDave219

And it must sting a bit to be a "real" journalist for an actual newspaper and find yourself sitting next to a guy who's basically created a "wacky" online persona.

You have no idea. People wonder why I'm agressive and sometimes openly hostile on these forums? That sentence above should explain why....

Tho I'll be more than glad to express my opinion on the matter the next time we have a drink.... :D

prfctlyximprct

The Disney name and theming aside, what will Disney Springs have that my local mall does not have?

Although I get this point of view, the fact that it is Disney is what makes it better. Shopping in the perfect little Disney bubble just makes it better. And hopefully they will have distinct and different offerings than your everyday mall.

It's like how I feel about fireworks. You can watch firework shows anywhere, but Disney's are just better.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Although I get this point of view, the fact that it is Disney is what makes it better. Shopping in the perfect little Disney bubble just makes it better. And hopefully they will have distinct and different offerings than your everyday mall.

It's like how I feel about fireworks. You can watch firework shows anywhere, but Disney's are just better.
Funny you mention this. My kids were 7 and 8 when they first went to Disney, and they have refused to watch May 2-4 or Canada Day fireworks ever since. They say Disney's are the best, and all the rest are a waste of time.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The Disney name and theming aside, what will Disney Springs have that my local mall does not have?
What about all the International visitors that don't have the same shops as your local mall ?
If there is a significantly higher proportion of foreigners then why shouldn't Disney want to keep them onsite for as long as possible ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom