'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

djkidkaz

I keep hearing people complain about adult nightlife entertainment. You can buy alcohol and sit around and chat with your friends at Downtown Disney and even listen to live music ( ie. Raglan Road, House of Blues ). What else are you looking for in the evening that is specific to adults? We already hear they are expanding the dining options which Im sure will have more outdoor seating with live music. The only other thing I can think of is a nightclub ( Atlantic Dance, anyone? ).

WDWFigment

I see one Staggs comment from the Parks Blog has been posted, but here's a more recent one:

Tom Staggs said:
We started with taking another look at Pleasure Island and that grew into plans to completely transform the entire Downtown Disney experience. We’re thrilled with where we’ve landed and can’t wait for you to experience it.

Could just be meaningless fluff with the Pleasure Island nod to quiet the many unsatisfied commenters, but if there is some substance to this and his (or whomever is commenting on his behalf) comments, this may be more than just a mall.

As for the comments arguing that international tourists like malls and that some people can't shop except when on vacation...a lot of things would be popular on Walt Disney World property, but that doesn't mean that they should be built. I'm not saying Disney Springs shouldn't be built, I'm saying "fills a need" or "it'd be popular" is a very poor barometer for whether something is a worthwhile addition to Walt Disney World.

A Honey Boo Boo Megastore would probably do solid business, perhaps one should be added?

I'm in the "meh" camp on Disney Springs right now. Nice malls are a dime a dozen, but if built, this does at least improve the mess that is Downtown Disney. A few unique Disney concepts (especially something akin to Trader Sam's) would make me more enthusiastic.

SirLink

So these parking structures are supposed to hold a grand total of 6000 spaces combined, total how many spaces are there currently?

WDWFigment

I keep hearing people complain about adult nightlife entertainment. You can buy alcohol and sit around and chat with your friends at Downtown Disney and even listen to live music ( ie. Raglan Road, House of Blues ). What else are you looking for in the evening that is specific to adults? We already hear they are expanding the dining options which Im sure will have more outdoor seating with live music. The only other thing I can think of is a nightclub ( Atlantic Dance, anyone? ).

I think what most people have in mind is a club offering Disney's take on edgier entertainment. Something akin to Comedy Warehouse or Adventurers Club. While I loved Adventurers Club, for me Trader Sam's is a good-enough alternative. The atmosphere at Trader Sam's is top notch, and although there aren't performances, there also aren't obnoxious regulars.

Suggesting Atlantic Dance Hall for nightlife is the equivalent of suggesting someone go to Walley World for theme park fun. Atlantic Dance Hall is laughably bad.

djkidkaz

And just to throw out my opinion on the whole thing, its the exact opposite of anything I'd ever do if I was in charge of WDW. I never like the idea of outside businesses being on property. WDW is supposed to transport you to a magical place and take you out of your normal life, the whole resort, not just the MK. Thats why they bought up so much land, to keep the outside from tainting the feeling you should have while on property. But now Disney is bringing in the outside world. I don't want to be on property seeing an APPLE store that I see at my local mall when back at home. Or what if your an employee of the APPLE store and come to WDW just to get away once a year. Noone likes to see their place of business show up while they are on vacation, even if you don't go in, its just a reminder. Well, just don't go to DTD then some will say. But I disagree with this thinking as I feel the whole property should be free of the outside world, accessible and a getaway for everyone.

George

Liker of Things
I see one Staggs comment from the Parks Blog has been posted, but here's a more recent one:

Could just be meaningless fluff with the Pleasure Island nod to quiet the many unsatisfied commenters, but if there is some substance to this and his (or whomever is commenting on his behalf) comments, this may be more than just a mall.

Meaningless fluff is my guess. If you don't have any vendors or anything specific to tell us, you've got to babble about something. I'm not saying that trying to divine hidden meaning in mouse house executive quotes after fact free announcements is pointless, but it is probably pointless. I find it similar to an announcer in a 12-1 baseball game in the 6th inning when a team is in the midst of changing pitchers.

aladdin2007

As for the comments arguing that international tourists like malls and that some people can't shop except when on vacation...a lot of things would be popular on Walt Disney World property, but that doesn't mean that they should be built. I'm not saying Disney Springs shouldn't be built, I'm saying "fills a need" or "it'd be popular" is a very poor barometer for whether something is a worthwhile addition to Walt Disney World.

A Honey Boo Boo Megastore would probably do solid business, perhaps one should be added?

I'm in the "meh" camp on Disney Springs right now. Nice malls are a dime a dozen, but if built, this does at least improve the mess that is Downtown Disney. A few unique Disney concepts (especially something akin to Trader Sam's) would make me more enthusiastic.

Agreed, right now its feeling as if they are just adding another outlet mall like whats down the road. Granted all the water features will be nice and what not. But if one thinks traffic and parking is bad now just wait.

Are they keeping the boat transportation to and from Port Orleans?? I hope.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

I think the comment there is trying to say that they looked at what to do with Pleasure Island, and initially came up with Hyperion Wharf. This only covered a transformation of what was PI, and would have been a small amount of retail and dining. When Tom Staggs took over PR, his two initial projects were to look at FL and DTD. We know the changes he made to FL, and he also made a huge decision to rework all of DTD, and not just the PI area. Hence the abandoning of Hyperion Wharf, and the start of what is now Disney Springs.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Agreed, right now its feeling as if they are just adding another outlet mall like whats down the road. Granted all the water features will be nice and what not. But if one thinks traffic and parking is bad now just wait.

Are they keeping the boat transportation to and from Port Orleans?? I hope.
Come on, it is NOTHING like an outlet mall. Disney Springs will be a premium Disney calibre environment, not a collection of concrete boxes with signs over the doors.

Bussing, traffic and parking will be resolved in the master plan for this. It will be much improved of the current situation.

DisneyGuyNYC

They're still missing any semblance of nightlife, and Raglan Road has never been a hit so I don't see it becoming one now.

They need a "dive" bar, a themed experience, a dance club, and a sports bar.

Oh wait... Pleasure Island. Haha. Oops.

Well I stand by it still.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They're still missing any semblance of nightlife, and Raglan Road has never been a hit so I don't see it becoming one now.

They need a "dive" bar, a themed experience, a dance club, and a sports bar.

Oh wait... Pleasure Island. Haha. Oops.

Well I stand by it still.
Raglan Road does incredibly well, and is hugely popular - most definitely has been a hit. What you are describing does not really create the family friendly environment that is Disney. If you want that, there are plenty of places around that can give you it.

SirLink

Raglan Road does incredibly well, and is hugely popular - most definitely has been a hit. What you are describing does not really create the family friendly environment that is Disney. If you want that, there are plenty of places around that can give you it.

There are loads of places on property that create family experiences, they also need over 21+ only experiences as well...

twebber55

Come on, it is NOTHING like an outlet mall. Disney Springs will be a premium Disney calibre environment, not a collection of concrete boxes with signs over the doors.

Bussing, traffic and parking will be resolved in the master plan for this. It will be much improved of the current situation.
i actually like the idea behind dinsey springs..especially as a DVC guy we go to DTD a lot and this will boost our time as well as our spending

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
i actually like the idea behind dinsey springs..especially as a DVC guy we go to DTD a lot and this will boost our time as well as our spending

Words to Disney's proverbial ears. Nothing against it if that's what you like to do though. But that is what Disney is aiming for.......

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There are loads of places on property that create family experiences, they also need over 21+ only experiences as well...
Disney don't think they do. They have been down that route before, and have exited. Not saying there wont be any bars etc, but at Disney you are just not going to get many venues that will lock out families. It is simply not what they are aiming for.

DisneyGuyNYC

Profit doesn't necessarily mean popular. It's a bar in Downtown Disney. Of course it makes money. It's never been anyone's favorite nor has it been something anyone is excited about or captures anyone's imagination.

I don't understand the obsession with one portion of the family. Families are more than very young children. We actually don't have any of those in my family and just did a trip to the World last year. Must we always be speaking to the lowest common denominator? Last time I checked there were adult rides and alcohol served throughout the resort. Jellyroll's is fun, exciting, AND wholesome/friendly without having to be neutered.

Dance clubs and bars do not necessarily mean scary, adult, sex dungeons. There are plenty of wholesome and friendly bars and nightlife experiences here in NYC. I don't understand this constant need to focus everything on toddlers.

It would be nice for there to be a place to go that served that purpose without it overflowing into Epcot all the time.

If Epcot can have a family image with all the alcohol it serves I fail to see how Disney Springs couldn't manage that in one roped off section.

DisneyGuyNYC

Disney don't think they do. They have been down that route before, and have exited. Not saying there wont be any bars etc, but at Disney you are just not going to get many venues that will lock out families. It is simply not what they are aiming for.
We know. We think that's a huge mistake. Pleasure Island wasn't perfect but that area for the Resort is pretty sorely missed.

DisneyGuyNYC

And this is why they have stopped trying throughout so much of Walt Disney World.

tumblr_m7eb6cDviL1r6hwcso1_500.gif

SirLink

Funny how elsewhere in the grand scheme of Disney on a worldwide level ... they always seem to not mind doing it - yet at WDW ... it's supposed flag ship resort it fears over 21's weird huh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom