Disney slowly losing our dollars.

ParentsOf4

Oh yeah. Mr Roberts does pretty well himself running Comcast.
Walt Disney also cared very much how much he was paid but you'd never have known it by visiting Disneyland.

It's not about how much Robert or Iger are paid; it's about not ignoring your paying customers in the process. Iger is cashing in on a name brand he did nothing to create. Roberts is investing in Orlando to try to turn Uni into a name brand that rivals WDW. Roberts is trying to draw in new customers; Iger is taking advantage of the loyalty of WDW's old customers. Domestic attendance at WDW is down over the last 5 years. It's the international vacationer, the ones who have never been to WDW, that are propping up its numbers today.

5 years ago, comparing Uni to WDW would have been a joke. Not anymore.

sweetpee_1993

WDW will turn it around, will starting bringing in some new exciting additions, and we will be excited about it. (OK, I will be.;))

But for the last 10 years, it's felt like WDW has forgotten what made it outstanding; WDW has lost its way, lost its sole. In its quest for the almighty dollar it's forgotten what put it in a position to collect so much of that almighty dollar in the first place. WDW has been leveraging off the successes of its past, ignoring the future.

WDW won't ever be the "value" vacation it once was but at least there will be something to be excited about.

But why did we loyal WDW fans have to wait all these years?

For the last 5 years I've felt that WDW's priority was packing more people in, making more $$ with less investment. Of course, they've been lavishing on the whole NextGen MM+ stuff but there's not a lot that visitors are reaping from that so unless you KNOW what Disney has spent on that one could easily think they've done little to nothing.

Oh I know they did the FLE. Just got back from our cruise and a few nights at Pop. Driving in and around the area we saw the billboards and commercials touting "New Fantasyland". Let's think about that, tho. How common is it for products we use every day to change their packaging, splash words on the labels like "New!" and "Improved!", but really we all know it's just the same thing we bought a week ago in the old package? Are consumers really likely to pay MORE for what they already think isn't really any different? We, as fans, know there really is something new in Fantasyland even if many of us argue the value and/or quality of the additions. ;) All that aside, as we drove around and I saw the billboards what came to my mind was things like "New" and "Improved" laundry detergent. Or a new shape/size of household sponge. It's still the same detergent. Still the same sponge. It just looks a little different. It really was sorta funny in the moment. We even joked about it! "Oooooh...it's NEW Fantasyland! Get out the credit card, Mom!" I wonder if the powers-that-be or even the marketing folks thought of the perspective of consumers who see "New" or "Improved" and automatically are like :rolleyes: riiiiiight.

PolynesianPrincess

Um were still waiting, and there doesnt seem to be any sign of a huge turn around like that first sentence states. Just sayin,,,,but love the optimism.

Just cause they're not doing it now doesn't mean they won't sooner rather than later. I think they realize just how much of a mess they have gotten themselves into and are trying to pull out of it. Splash just got a refurb and is looking GREAT. Things are being fixed all over the parks (at least when I was there they were) They're giving us a new daytime parade and the mine coaster next year. Is that enough to justify what they have NOT given us in the last few years? No, but it's a start and it's better than nothing. If people keep complaing about lack of new additions and continue to spend their dollar elsewhere, Disney will have no choice but to listen.

luv

The saddest part is that Disney's management doesn't care. If the parks are getting older and dirtier, the staff is getting more rude almost weekly, the hotels have worse service and get a little more run-down, food is average...they just don't care.

They are making their money NOW and if the whole place goes to hell later...it isn't their problem. That will be someone else's headache.

Uni has a much different attitude. Bigger, better, newer, nicer. They want people coming there. They want to make more money. It's obvious.

It's good that people are getting out of Disney a bit. There is so much else to see and do in Orlando. :)

DfromATX

Next week we are doing a combo trip (for the first time) - 2 1/2 days at Universal, then 4 days at Disney. I'll be sure to post my review when we get back. I love Disney, but I've also heard a lot of good things about Universal.

Soarin2u

....I should quit getting on what I call "the ugly threads." Threads where people claim they love Disney but Bash almost all of it to shreds within a short paragraph. Sometimes it makes my heart sink, to read and think these awful things about Disney, because I cannot relate to these opinions. I grew up Disney. We have gone every other year between going to Colorado. I'm still a young teen and have not seen Disney during its "Glory Days," but I still grew up with it. I would have never thought that Disney is "dieing,changing and is not as good." To me it still is amazing. I thought that only little has changed in a bad way.
I look up to Disney so much because it is ultimately unlike any place else. No place holds the magic, the cast members, the rides, the not as good dinning and cleanliness. (Dining is the only thing I can say has gone downhill) I can't see why anyone would want to go somewhere else. The only way I've seen it is that people have burnt themselves out on the parks, they've gone to many times and are merely sick of it. We go every other year to avoid that, to give us a break, take a breather and get ready for our next year of fun! I must confess we were slightly burnt out on some of the rides last year due to my mothers hatred towards coasters and nit-picky-ness towards others. But I still love it more than I love my own home or even this new country I'm in now. Our trip this year may be towards Michigan and honestly I do not want to go to Disney, due to the fact that I don't want to get tired of the same parks over and over again. We need our break and so does everyone else.

I love Disney because its still the same happy place as I've ever known.

DfromATX

....I should quit getting on what I call "the ugly threads." Threads where people claim they love Disney but Bash almost all of it to shreds within a short paragraph. Sometimes it makes my heart sink, to read and think these awful things about Disney, because I cannot relate to these opinions. I grew up Disney. We have gone every other year between going to Colorado. I'm still a young teen and have not seen Disney during its "Glory Days," but I still grew up with it. I would have never thought that Disney is "dieing,changing and is not as good." To me it still is amazing. I thought that only little has changed in a bad way.
I look up to Disney so much because it is ultimately unlike any place else. No place holds the magic, the cast members, the rides, the not as good dinning and cleanliness. (Dining is the only thing I can say has gone downhill) I can't see why anyone would want to go somewhere else. The only way I've seen it is that people have burnt themselves out on the parks, they've gone to many times and are merely sick of it. We go every other year to avoid that, to give us a break, take a breather and get ready for our next year of fun! I must confess we were slightly burnt out on some of the rides last year due to my mothers hatred towards coasters and nit-picky-ness towards others. But I still love it more than I love my own home or even this new country I'm in now. Our trip this year may be towards Michigan and honestly I do not want to go to Disney, due to the fact that I don't want to get tired of the same parks over and over again. We need our break and so does everyone else.

I love your post! Bad Disney posts make my heart sad. And yes, too much of a good thing can be bad too. To me, going to Disney all the time would be like having Christmas all the time - it wouldn't be as special anymore.

fractal

Walt Disney also cared very much how much he was paid but you'd never have known it by visiting Disneyland.

It's not about how much Robert or Iger are paid; it's about not ignoring your paying customers in the process. Iger is cashing in on a name brand he did nothing to create. Roberts is investing in Orlando to try to turn Uni into a name brand that rivals WDW. Roberts is trying to draw in new customers; Iger is taking advantage of the loyalty of WDW's old customers. Domestic attendance at WDW is down over the last 5 years. It's the international vacationer, the ones who have never been to WDW, that are propping up its numbers today.

5 years ago, comparing Uni to WDW would have been a joke. Not anymore.

Good for Roberts - I'll never complain about more great vacation/entertainment spots.

But let's not confuse that with CEO bonuses. Living near Philadelphia and sending Comcast a check every week, I know for a fact Mr. Roberts in fond of bonuses - even when the company was losing money. His cable product is nothing to write home about, he just has a monopoly going.

As far as Disney and Iger; they just spent $billions on WDW to expand MK and for NG. Now whether we think it was money well spent or not is another question, but they spent the money to give WDW customers an enhanced product.

Out West they have turned the worst Disney park (DCA) into one of the best. Carsland is amazing and takes theme park "lands" to another level.
I'm not an apologist for the man. I'm ticked that the Yeti is still not fixed, but I have to recognize the good as well as the bad.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Well said .

fractal

You are comparing apples and oranges tho... those large beach houses are typically for multiple families, etc. You can rent a house off the beach in Rehoboth for less than 2k... or beach front condos in those lower numbers as well.

As a lifelong vacationer in the DE/MD beaches... if you are looking at 10k for a single family.. you're doing it wrong :) The types of properties in the DE beaches are not the same scale as the houses you typically find in OBX.

Ocean front condos in Ocean City (developed area) are less than 2k/week in prime time for a typical 2 bedroom type of place. Comparing this to Disney deluxes at 400+/night... and we know the true comparison for Disney hotels are their peers in the area which are more like 200+/- a night.

I'm comparing on the beach homes with the Polynesian which is a deluxe with a view of MK. I think it's fair.

Ocean City is a lower rent area. In fact that is where we may be going.

The bottom line, I think, is that a vacation at WDW "all in" is very comparable to a vacation anywhere else when you match accomodations, food and entertainment.

The other big plus for me that I get at WDW that I can't get elsewhere is access to an entire mega-complex of parks, restuarants, transportation, accomodations, shows, golf, trails, boating, fishing, horseback riding, camping, etc.,etc. All under "one roof". I don't have to drive - I don't have the headache of collecting brochures at some hotel lobby and trying to figure out what to do and where to eat. That does mean a lot to me. I go to WDW to be entertained and spend quality time with the family without all the headaches of other types of vacations - and so far that's exactly what I get.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
WDW will turn it around, will starting bringing in some new exciting additions, and we will be excited about it. (OK, I will be.;))

But for the last 10 years, it's felt like WDW has forgotten what made it outstanding; WDW has lost its way, lost its sole. In its quest for the almighty dollar it's forgotten what put it in a position to collect so much of that almighty dollar in the first place. WDW has been leveraging off the successes of its past, ignoring the future.

WDW won't ever be the "value" vacation it once was but at least there will be something to be excited about.

But why did we loyal WDW fans have to wait all these years?

I like you and your optimism!!! Ok I'm on board..Here's hoping you know something I don't and that at this time next year I'll be once again standing proud with a fist full o' dollars telling WDW to "TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE!!!"

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I'm comparing on the beach homes with the Polynesian which is a deluxe with a view of MK. I think it's fair.

The bottom line, I think, is that a vacation at WDW "all in" is very comparable to a vacation anywhere else when you match accomodations, food and entertainment.

The other big plus for me that I get at WDW that I can't get elsewhere is access to an entire mega-complex of parks, restuarants, transportation, accomodations, shows, golf, trails, boating, fishing, horseback riding, camping, etc.,etc. All under "one roof". I don't have to drive - I don't have the headache of collecting brochures at some hotel lobby and trying to figure out what to do and where to eat. That does mean a lot to me. I go to WDW to be entertained and spend quality time with the family without all the headaches of other types of vacations - and so far that's exactly what I get.

This is a VERY good point brother. I always poke around and price out 'fake' vacations elsewhere and it always astounds me at how inexpensive it can be....UNTIL I start adding in all the little extras things (that you just mentioned) that we end up taking for granted in all our WDW vacations. Convenience alone has a price tag that really gets overlooked when booking a vacation.

Glasgow

If you really dissect most posts on here I think you'll see that most people who are supposedly "bashing" Disney are generally reminiscing about days gone by and wondering why the price to content ratio has gone up so alarmingly in the past 5 years. We all know that Disney is still the best, but for how long? We're all rooting for the old gal. I grew up Disney as well and have honestly loved every trip I've ever taken (20+). I think we're just scared that WDW has somewhat lost it's way based on what we've seen lately and that leadership has a short term plan, rather than long. Here's hoping that it will remain the best.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Comparing a one room hotel room... to an entire house on the beach? You think that's apples to apples?

If you want to compare the Poly to someone.. compare to an ocean block 1 bedroom condo.. not even ocean front.

It's not lower rent.. it's different styles. Most of the DE beach is the state/national park... with spots of small beach house communities. Rehobeth is really the only built up area (Dewey is built up, but not on the beach that much).

Ocean City on the other hand is the 'big city' in comparison... 150+ blocks of beach front development. So in DE beaches you find lots of ocean block houses on stilts... most of that has been replaced with higher density stuff in Ocean City, but you there are still houses depending on which part of town you are in. Ocean block is dominated by condos in Ocean City.

DE is more 'rural' - OC is more 'city' in terms of build out, traffic, etc. Ocean City is much like Virginia Beach.. but not as run down :)

I don't pay $10 for a hamburger in Ocean City :) Amusements can add up individually.. dropping $40-$50 a head isn't uncommon for things.. but the payoff tends to be much more than what similar dollars get you in WDW. WDW is a more 'inclusive' vacation experience than going 'pay as you go' with any other disjointed resort experience.. but while you may pay 2k for a week in a condo.. you won't be paying another 2k in tickets :)

All under "one roof". I don't have to drive - I don't have the headache of collecting brochures at some hotel lobby and trying to figure out what to do and where to eat. That does mean a lot to me. I go to WDW to be entertained and spend quality time with the family without all the headaches of other types of vacations - and so far that's exactly what I get.

So try out some all inclusive resorts in Mexico or the caribbean... you get that same type of bundled feeling.

flynnibus

Premium Member
really?

drink, eat, and a nightly show... that seems to be more?

Rec sports on deck...
Movies on Deck or in the Theater...
Various types of classes.. like mixology stuff.. food stuff...
tours...
specialty food/drink events...
'game show' types of gatherings...
bingo/etc type of gathering..
The dining...
The evening shows...
deck parties...
The bars tend to have their own type of stuff too..
The spa...
Then pools and bars..
sunbathing...

and that's just a sample.

Basically every day you get a calendar of events for the next day. There is typically 3-4 different tracks of things going on that you can pick from each day. Unlike WDW.. you don't plan your days out 180 days in advance ;) A few things are reserveration based.. but not much

tsaintc

The 'bashers' forget that this is a business, and management needs to make tough decisions to keep the business profitable. They DO have a commitment to the shareholders. Despite a difficult economy, WDW continues to make investments in new content. And do not give me the 'Disney makes so much money' (revenue/profit margin) excuse either, I work for a large, internationally-known company (50B Euro per year in revenue) with huge margins (well over 40%) that just finished the 3rd round of lay offs in 2 years. Cost control is smart business, especially when market share tightens.

Based on some of my recent experiences, I agree that some areas are in decline, but I am still impressed with type of complete experience that WDW offers. Sure, there are some good competitors in the theme park space that are spending money to try to catch Disney. But, do not forget that Disney (Walt) also created the theme park industry and his legacy still dominates the market.

Finally (rant is almost over), I have yet to meet a person that told me HP or Transformers brings a tear to their eyes. So, until I find a comparable experience, WDW is the place for me.

asianway

The 'bashers' forget that this is a business, and management needs to make tough decisions to keep the business profitable. They DO have a commitment to the shareholders. Despite a difficult economy, WDW continues to make investments in new content. And do not give me the 'Disney makes so much money' (revenue/profit margin) excuse either, I work for a large, internationally-known company (50B Euro per year in revenue) with huge margins (well over 40%) that just finished the 3rd round of lay offs in 2 years. Cost control is smart business, especially when market share tightens.

Based on some of my recent experiences, I agree that some areas are in decline, but I am still impressed with type of complete experience that WDW offers. Sure, there are some good competitors in the theme park space that are spending money to try to catch Disney. But, do not forget that Disney (Walt) also created the theme park industry and his legacy still dominates the market.

Finally (rant is almost over), I have yet to meet a person that told me HP or Transformers brings a tear to their eyes. So, until I find a comparable experience, WDW is the place for me.

Spoken like a true person who has never visited another Disney Park(tm) - should I take it from your signature that that is indeed the case?

Only ever been to WDW, or have you been to Disneyland as well?

No one is bashing "Disney". It is Disney World not living up to the standards they themselves put in place and still exist in CA, DCL, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Paris has some sketchy parks management and Ive never been so I leave them out of that bucket.

If you love WDW so much, you truly do not know what you are missing.

ajt5027

If I could interject here again, its not about Disney bashing it's about the downgrade in service. That's not bashing it is a fact. @luv said it best, there is a problem with management. I have been going to Disney long enough to have seen this before, I almost think it's cyclical it follows the cycle of top execs. But the real kicker for me was the lack of attention to detail. Paint chipping off of one of the columns inside the American Adventure preview area? Come on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom