Disney slowly losing our dollars.

ddbowdoin

Rec sports on deck...
Movies on Deck or in the Theater... (movies at each resort, at least my experience)
Various types of classes.. like mixology stuff.. food stuff...
tours...(parks)
specialty food/drink events... (epcot)
'game show' types of gatherings... (I referenced shows above)
bingo/etc type of gathering.. (I'm not that old yet...)
The dining... (every resort, park, DTD)
The evening shows... (referenced shows above)
deck parties...
The bars tend to have their own type of stuff too.. (I can drink at resorts, pool side, parks)
The spa... (Grand Floridian)
Then pools and bars.. (every resort, we usually stay at the beach... so it's a hole with water)
sunbathing... (I don't live in a cave so I can basically do that anywhere)

and that's just a sample.

Basically every day you get a calendar of events for the next day. There is typically 3-4 different tracks of things going on that you can pick from each day. Unlike WDW.. you don't plan your days out 180 days in advance ;) A few things are reserveration based.. but not much

I'll agree with the 180 days though.

tsaintc

Spoken like a true person who has never visited another Disney Park(tm) - should I take it from your signature that that is indeed the case?

Only ever been to WDW, or have you been to Disneyland as well?

No one is bashing "Disney". It is Disney World not living up to the standard they themselves put in place and still exist in CA, DCL, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Paris has some sketchy parks management and Ive never been so I leave them out of that bucket.

If you love WDW so much, you truly do not know what you are missing.

Unfortunately, I read so much about the other parks, that I have some idea of what I am missing. But, until the kids are just a few years older, international travel is out. However, we are in the planning phase of a trip to DL (2014) and already have the DCL booked for June 2014. So, hopefully, I will soon have some other comparison points. My wife and I have been putting off these other Disney destinations so that we can have that first time experience together with our children when they are old enough to appreciate them.

Do not get me wrong, I am a realist. I notice the terrible shape of the Monorails, paint peeling and rides that need some serious attention. And, I remember the fresh paint every morning and unique food options back in 80s, not to mention Horizons and WOM. But, I have also been to a number of other tourist locations, parks, etc. and nothing compares to WDW in my book, for now.

asianway

Unfortunately, I read so much about the other parks, that I have some idea of what I am missing. But, until the kids are just a few years older, international travel is out. However, we are in the planning phase of a trip to DL (2014) and already have the DCL booked for June 2014. So, hopefully, I will soon have some other comparison points. My wife and I have been putting off these other Disney destinations so that we can have that first time experience together with our children when they are old enough to appreciate them.

Do not get me wrong, I am a realist. I notice the terrible shape of the Monorails, paint peeling and rides that need some serious attention. And, I remember the fresh paint every morning and unique food options back in 80s, not to mention Horizons and WOM. But, I have also been to a number of other tourist locations, parks, etc. and nothing compares to WDW in my book, for now.
I am a realist as well - my point of frustration is that the other Resorts can meet their profit goals without the cuts in service, yet WDW cannot. And the monorails...I think one of many reasons they are building DVC at all 3 monorail resorts is so they can spread the costs of the new trains to the Condos as well. Just a conspiracy theory

ParentsOf4

I am a realist as well - my point of frustration is that the other Resorts can meet their profit goals without the cuts in service, yet WDW cannot. And the monorails...I think one of many reasons they are building DVC at all 3 monorail resorts is so they can spread the costs of the new trains to the Condos as well. Just a conspiracy theory
In a nutshell, is it asking too much for WDW to maintain the same level of quality as Disney achieves today at pretty much every other resort? And let's not forget the level of service at DCL.

WDW charges $500/night for a room costing them $60/night. Is it really asking too much to put some of that margin back into the parks?

A lot fewer would be "complaining" (really seeing the truth) about WDW if they simply maintained the level of quality and service they currently demonstrate at so many other venues.

draybook

The 'bashers' forget that this is a business, and management needs to make tough decisions to keep the business profitable. They DO have a commitment to the shareholders. Despite a difficult economy, WDW continues to make investments in new content. And do not give me the 'Disney makes so much money' (revenue/profit margin) excuse either, I work for a large, internationally-known company (50B Euro per year in revenue) with huge margins (well over 40%) that just finished the 3rd round of lay offs in 2 years. Cost control is smart business, especially when market share tightens.

Finally (rant is almost over), I have yet to meet a person that told me HP or Transformers brings a tear to their eyes. So, until I find a comparable experience, WDW is the place for me.

#1 - Bob Iger pocketed over $50 million in compensation while the workers made chump change.

#2 - Nothing at WDW has brought a tear to my eye. Check out Seussland during Christmas and tell me that it doesn't stack up to any land at any WDW park. I hate to tell you, but reading about Universal and seeing it first hand are two waaay different things. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't do roller coasters or simulators.

ddbowdoin

Discount them all you want... your loss not mine :)
I agree that people like what they like and that is all well and fine but when people say there's more to do on a confined boat than there is on a piece of property larger than Manhattan I find myself scratching my head.

ddbowdoin

#1 - Bob Iger pocketed over $50 million in compensation while the workers made chump change.

#2 - Nothing at WDW has brought a tear to my eye. Check out Seussland during Christmas and tell me that it doesn't stack up to any land at any WDW park. I hate to tell you, but reading about Universal and seeing it first hand are two waaay different things. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't do roller coasters or simulators.

Who cares though... His pay structure is no different from any other CEO in the Fortune 500.

The reality is he possesses education and skill sets that likely no one on this forum will ever achieve.

The class warfare stuff gets old

ParentsOf4

Wait, they might get rid of the no expiration option!!!???
The are two public indications WDW intends to eliminate the "no expiration" option.

First, WDW has removed it from their website. You have to know that it exists and know enough to call to purchase it.

Second, the price of the "no expiration" option has increased tremendously in recent years. For example, the option on the 10-day ticket has gone from $225 in 2011 to $325 in 2013, an incredible increase even by Disney's standards.

Back in the "old" days most multiday WDW tickets automatically included the "no expiration" option. Many of these tickets remain unused. (I've got a few partially used ones from the 1980s and 1990s floating about somewhere. I don't even know where they are.)

It's been suggested that Disney doesn't fully account for the purchase until the ticket is used. If this is the case, then it's possible WDW has many millions of dollars of unused tickets it's carrying on its books.

Until the two most recent increases, the 10-day "no expiration" ticket was a viable option for someone who liked to visit in small chunks, 2-3 days per year spread over several years. In many ways, it was one of the few remaining "bargains" for the right kind of WDW vacationer. As we've seen in recent years, Disney doesn't like its guests receiving any "bargains".:(

Soarin2u

Spoken like a true person who has never visited another Disney Park(tm) - should I take it from your signature that that is indeed the case?

Only ever been to WDW, or have you been to Disneyland as well?

No one is bashing "Disney". It is Disney World not living up to the standards they themselves put in place and still exist in CA, DCL, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Paris has some sketchy parks management and Ive never been so I leave them out of that bucket.

If you love WDW so much, you truly do not know what you are missing.

I've been to DisneySea ( Just yesterday actually, was treat before I fly home June 16) and DisneyLand. I don't know why you brought up the other parks. They don't matter in this case, they are Disney, and I love anything Disney. That's why I only said "Disney" because I wanted to intended everything the Disney company provides.

People were "bashing" Disney, saying its only worth a few hours, claiming its not as glorious as it was, saying its gone downhill, yes that is "bashing." I was saying that it upsets me to read that. Then I moved on to say why they were complaining about that, and I claimed that it was due to the fact that they've been there so many times and its lost its magic. I never intended to empathize the bashing, but to point out why I still love it and why other don't anymore.

Plus WDW does exceed many theme/amusement parks across the world, Ive been to so many now in countries such as Japan, Korea, Canada, America. I can't even count anymore. Yet Disney still holds first place in my heart. IMO

draybook

Who cares though... His pay structure is no different from any other CEO in the Fortune 500.

The reality is he possesses education and skill sets that likely no one on this forum will ever achieve.

The class warfare stuff gets old

I care. The people that "like" my comments about it care. When I start spending thousands of dollars per year on stale product from those other Fortune 500 companies than I'll care what their compensation structure looks like compared to Bob's.

And before you say it, we're not going back next year. So, we will effectively be putting our money where our mouth is.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I care. The people that "like" my comments about it care. When I start spending thousands of dollars per year on stale product from those other Fortune 500 companies than I'll care what their compensation structure looks like compared to Bob's.

And before you say it, we're not going back next year. So, we will effectively be putting our money where our mouth is.

I think there are a lot more people like you who will be voting with thier wallets.The problem is that there are just as many non Americanswho will take your place so it won't make any real difference.but it is nice to see someone standing by their beliefs :D

ddbowdoin

It just starts to become petty class warfare when people start bringing up the compensation of executives, in any field not just disney. You can talk about a decline in quality all day but when you start with the "and he makes 50 million, while his workers make peanuts" it just makes people look bitter. Oh look, he's a one percenter!!! Good for him, he dedicated a lot of time and effort to educate himself in such a way to place himself in an advantageous position in the company and is now reaping the benefits.

I could chat with you all day about how attractions aren't maintained, how the current dining system has flaws, etc etc etc... But try and resist the mob 99% mentality when it comes to the class and money issue

draybook

It just starts to become petty class warfare when people start bringing up the compensation of executives, in any field not just disney. You can talk about a decline in quality all day but when you start with the "and he makes 50 million, while his workers make peanuts" it just makes people look bitter. Oh look, he's a one percenter!!! Good for him, he dedicated a lot of time and effort to educate himself in such a way to place himself in an advantageous position in the company and is now reaping the benefits.

I could chat with you all day about how attractions aren't maintained, how the current dining system has flaws, etc etc etc... But try and resist the mob 99% mentality when it comes to the class and money issue

I've found that being in a top spot doesn't always mean that you're well educated. I've also found that having a degree from a top school doesn't mean you're a good leader either. Also, I've stated my opinions on the decline without mentioning Bob before, but I thought I'd start putting him in there to put things in perspective. No matter how you want to argue it, when the top dog is pocketing those kinds of funds while the product is in decline, it doesn't say much for that guy or his/the companies short term vision for the future.

asianway

I've been to DisneySea ( Just yesterday actually, was treat before I fly home June 16) and DisneyLand. I don't know why you brought up the other parks. They don't matter in this case, they are Disney, and I love anything Disney. That's why I only said "Disney" because I wanted to intended everything the Disney company provides.

People were "bashing" Disney, saying its only worth a few hours, claiming its not as glorious as it was, saying its gone downhill, yes that is "bashing." I was saying that it upsets me to read that. Then I moved on to say why they were saying that, and I claimed that it was due to the fact that they've been there so many times and its lost its magic. I never intended to empathize the bashing but to point out, why I still love it and why other don't anymore.

Plus WDW does exceed many theme/amusement parks across the world, Ive been to so many now in countries such as Japan, Korea, Canada, America. I can't even count anymore. Yet Disney still holds first place in my heart. IMO
But...WDW does not exceed TDS in your opinion, right? Only other regional amusements?

tsaintc

Not even going to get into the Iger conversation; pick any public company and research the CEO's comp. End of discussion. CEO comp is no barometer of the actual execution of objectives. Middle management has the greatest impact. The decline is direct result of their poor decision making when asked to manage cost and their weak hiring practices.

We are planning to visit Universal in the coming years, once my youngest is tall enough to ride everything; we are roller coaster fans. I hope it lives up to the expectations.

Finally, I say this with all due respect, but the statement "Nothing at WDW has brought a tear to my eye" makes me a little sad. It is clear that your interpretation of what the 'World represents is vastly different that mine. I am not saying that this is right/wrong, better/worse. I am not judging in any way. I just wish that I could bottle my emotions and share them with others.

ParentsOf4

Not even going to get into the Iger conversation; pick any public company and research the CEO's comp. End of discussion. CEO comp is no barometer of the actual execution of objectives.
CEO (and senior executive) compensation is a joke. In the heyday of modern business, the typical CEO made 30 times the average worker. That ratio is now 300-to-1.

CEO compensation has no bearing on the health of a company. Plenty of CEOs have been paid multimillions as their companies collapsed. Instead, CEO compensation today is driven primarily by their takeover of compensation review boards, boards that are supposed to look out for companies' best interests but now are dominated by CEO cronies.

draybook

Don't get me wrong, WDW takes me away from the real world. I also get a different feeling when I enter WDW property as opposed to any place I've been in the country. However, Universal can't do that if nothing else because it's locked in. But man are they sure making up for it with their offerings. And yes, the CEO is responsible. The same way that a GM of a sports team is accountable for their team's performance.

Besides, I don't care about other CEOs because we're talking about Disney here. I'll agree that some of them are grossly overpaid.

ParentsOf4

Finally, I say this with all due respect, but the statement "Nothing at WDW has brought a tear to my eye" makes me a little sad. It is clear that your interpretation of what the 'World represents is vastly different that mine. I am not saying that this is right/wrong, better/worse. I am not judging in any way. I just wish that I could bottle my emotions and share them with others.
And, sadly, your emotions are why TWDC feels it's possible to raise ticket prices 7-to-9%, DDP 12.5%. That's why a buffet at CRT costs $60/adult. That's why WDW can charge $600/night for a room costing $60/night. Why WDW can let quality slip, let animatronics on attractions go unrepaired for years. It that irrational emotional attachment to all things Disney that allows corporate to take advantage of their so called "guests". I don't know about you but that's not how I treat my guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom