Disney Screwed up

devoy1701

Original Poster
So we are out here at the Wilderness Lodge to celebrate a very special weekend where I was/am planning to propose to my girlfriend. I have been working with the Disney Florist line and also Artist Point where I am going to be popping the question to tonight. After I had made my delivery reservations the representative from Disney Florists asked if I had listed the celebration on my room reservation. I told her that I was hesitant to do that just incase the CM slipped at check-in. She assured me that it wouldn't happen and that she will be sure to note on there that the proposal had not happened yet.

Sure enough, we check in this morning and as we were finishing up the process, the cm threw 2 "Just Engaged' pins out in the counter. Surprise of a lifetime ruined!
I called Disney Florist to express my deep frustration and spoke to the same woman who assured me she only put the note on the dining reservation and not the room reservation. So no one can tell me how it got there.

I also spoke to the manager at the Wilderness Lodge who expressed sincere apologies and that was it. Later I got a voice mail saying the hotel has comped us a free fireworks cruise for tomorrow night.

I will admit its a nice gesture, but should I be satisfied? Would you guys be? the surprise is a once in a lifetime experience that we can never get back! I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Just to be clear. My girlfriend honest to god had no idea whatsoever that it was coming...

Tigger1988

I'm sorry they ruined your surprise. Over time I've learned that no matter what they may tell you on the phone, nothing is fool proof. The best (and really only) way to combat this would've been to have your girlfriend occupied while you did the resort check in.

I don't blame you at all, you were told it wouldn't be an issue and you have every right to be frustrated or even angry.

djdan

I will admit its a nice gesture, but should I be satisfied? Would you guys be?

Good question. I'm not sure how I would feel. As a customer, I'd definitely be upset. As for what Disney owes you, that's kind tricky. "Legally" speaking, I don't think they really have to do anything. Ironically, you'd probably get better restitution if there was something seriously wrong with your room, even though emotionally that scenario certainly wouldn't be as bad. When you book a hotel room, you expect a minimum number of things (working plumbing, a clean room, tv working, etc..). These are all things Disney is responsible for providing you with.

It's a slippery slope. I'm in the entertainment business, and when something goes wrong (which is rare), it all comes down to liability. The fact that the florist promised you the CM wouldn't spill the beans, doesn't really create any sort of "verbal agreement". In other words, no matter what she said about the CM, she was not ultimately responsible for the CM's actions (and Disney as a whole seemingly didn't promise anything either in this respect). If I were the florist, I wouldn't of promised you anything, and then let you decide how you wanted to handle the best way to keep it a secret.

stargrl33

Super horrible that it happened to you...how did your girlfriend take it?

And not to be a grouch but...should you really be online right now???!!!

sbkline

I'm sorry this happened to you and I totally understand your frustration.

However, regarding your question of "it was a nice gesture but should I be satisfied"?, I wonder what else you expect them to do about it? I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring, but what else can you reasonably expect them to do about it? It was an unfortunate mishap, but what's done is done, and it can't be undone. They have expressed apologies and offered you a complimentary fireworks cruise, but what more are they supposed to do? Again, I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I'm just not sure what else you could expect them to do about it. :shrug:

Dukeblue1227

Super horrible that it happened to you...how did your girlfriend take it?

And not to be a grouch but...should you really be online right now???!!!

That's what I'm curious to know?

Like your girlfriend immediately knew and there was no way to deflect it as a mistake by Disney? Clearly that opportunity is gone now but how was the situation immediately handled.

And, can I ask what she said?...

I feel awful because I imagine you must be feeling really disappointed and for that I am so sorry;

but if you are now engaged to the woman you are going to spend the rest of your life with may I say congratulations to the both of you and best wishes!

Eyorefan

Wow that really sucks and I can understand why you are upset. I would be too! But the fact is the people that work at Disney are only human and humans screw up (though it would be nice if someone admited they were the ones who screwed up).

Since there isn't a way they can un do this mistake, I think the fireworks is great way for them to at least try to make it up to you. I know, it doesn't make it perfect, but honestly... I don't think there is a way for make the situation perfect at this point.

devoy1701

Original Poster
I'm not really expecting anything really. You can't really put a monetary amount on that kind of moment. I wasn't saying that Disney morally or legally owes me anything. When I called the Disney Florists back to tell them what happened it was to express my frustration and to let them know what happened...because I would hate for it to happen to someone else.

I'm not looking for advise on what and how to get Disney to make up for it, just wondering how some of you would have handled it. Would you have flipped a lid at them? Laughed it off? Etc. Its quite a strange and unfortunate situation and I would hope that it doesn't happen to any one else.

Any way. Artist point in 30 minutes!

rsoxguy

I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to you. In answer to your question, I believe that the sincere apologies, along with the free cruise, should be accepted graciously by you and your future wife. Short of shedding blood (which goes beyond the boundaries of decency), there is nothing more that should be reasonably expected from the people who made a regrettable, but honest mistake. Yes, they blew things in a major way, but it would be best to show a little forgiveness toward them while accepting their goodwill gesture. There will be plenty of "big" moments in your lives as you grow together, and this situation will always serve to remind you that your love for one another is more important than all of the inevitable disappointments that arise throughout life's journey.

devoy1701

Original Poster
last post I promise until after dinner!

I turned the pins over as fast as possible and the CM said no? And my girlfriend just smiled and said "I think you just gave a way a surprise".

She handled it very well, though I saw a tear as we walked back to the car after check in.

I haven't proposed yet. We've been trying not to talk about it! Ha! I still have my deliveries coming to dinner so I will atleast let you know what she says!

Xethis

last post I promise until after dinner!

I turned the pins over as fast as possible and the CM said no? And my girlfriend just smiled and said "I think you just gave a way a surprise".

She handled it very well, though I saw a tear as we walked back to the car after check in.

I haven't proposed yet. We've been trying not to talk about it! Ha! I still have my deliveries coming to dinner so I will atleast let you know what she says!

Well personally, given the series of events, I think you handled it as best as can be expected, and I think it'll still be an event of a lifetime! Maybe just not a total surprise anymore. I'd roll with it & not let it ruin your trip. So many more memories to make during the trip. Best of luck!

Tigger1988

just wondering how some of you would have handled it. Would you have flipped a lid at them? Laughed it off? Etc. Its quite a strange and unfortunate situation and I would hope that it doesn't happen to any one else.

I think flipping a lid would be the natural response for some people, but what does that achieve really? It won't undo the damage and will just result in putting a bigger damper on your trip.

That said, you reacted well. Don't dwell on this, make the best of your trip.

cookiee_munster

Just to be clear. My girlfriend honest to god had no idea whatsoever that it was coming...

hehe, and neither did you! :)

i think, at the end of the day, even though it didnt happen like the way you wanted it to (which it never bloody does anyway!) you guys are together, and i do kind of hope you got a laugh out of it rather than you being furious all day? these are the things that just make life the way it is.

its something you can tell your family, (and maybe kids) all about today, and in the future.

and i do hope your GF said yes!?!?

congrats btw! :)

French Quarter

That is majorly disappointing. I feel really sad for you. On the other hand, I feel really happy for you because you are getting engaged!

As for how I would have handled it? I think I would have got down on me knee right then and there and proposed. But it's easy to say that from where I'm sitting. I know you were probably feeling shocked and sad.

LordHelmut

Well..... you do know they *do* weddings there....

Granted that would be an extreme comp, but if the date is set, might angle for something for the honeymoon....

Unless the fireworks cruise is on the 52 footer....

Timekeeper

Speak with an attorney, and inquire as to a potential cause of action for "intentional [reckless] infliction of emotional distress," or maybe even "negligent infliction of emotional distress."

It may be helpful for you to cite: Florida Department of Corrections v. Abril, No. SC04-1747. Oct. 18, 2007. Lawyers USA No. 9938515, where the Florida Supreme Court found that the impact rule did not apply in the following context:

"Because the only reasonable damages arising from a breach of [the state law requiring confidentiality in HIV testing] are emotional distress, and because this emotional damage would be akin to that suffered by victims of defamation or invasion of privacy, we conclude they should not be barred by the impact rule. Thus we agree that an exception to the impact rule should be made when a laboratory or other health care provider is negligent in failing to keep confidential the results of an HIV test."

Florida's version of the impact rule has more aptly been described as having a "hybrid" nature, requiring either impact upon one's person or, in certain situations, at a minimum the manifestation of emotional distress in the form of a discernible physical injury or illness.

:sohappy:

tigsmom

Enough to cause an upset? Yes, but they really owe you nothing more than an apology for ruining your surprise. Take what you have been given, follow through with your original plans and congratulations! Like she would say no :lol:

Lisalyn

Ok from the devious side of me.... she "expects" it now...don't do it tonight! I know that's terrible but keep playing it off...don't let up on playing it off....then some OTHER time during the course of your trip...at the most inappropriate, off the wall, never would she expect it point...Pop the question!!! LOL I'm not sure how long you will be there..but play stupid! Then hit her with it :):wave:

DecWDW

I'm sorry your surprise was a bit ruined. I love to watch shows about proposals, I always get teary! But now, you have each other and a great future to plan. Just think about the poor CM that flubbed it. I'm sure she feels badly about it. Maybe after your happy moment, you could let the CM know that no real harm was done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom