Disney Screwed up

French Quarter

You could always keep proposing to her during the whole trip. Create these little romantic moments each day. That would kind of surprise her. While people might expect one purposal, they never expect 7. She'll catch on after the first couple but she'll always be wondering each day, exactly when you're going to do it.

lilfritzy

From a womans point of view I would be very upset if I had no idea I was being proposed to and the surpise was ruined for me by a cm. I so sorry that happen to you and congratulations I wish you both luck health and happiness.

stargrl33

I'm not really expecting anything really. You can't really put a monetary amount on that kind of moment. I wasn't saying that Disney morally or legally owes me anything. When I called the Disney Florists back to tell them what happened it was to express my frustration and to let them know what happened...because I would hate for it to happen to someone else.

I'm not looking for advise on what and how to get Disney to make up for it, just wondering how some of you would have handled it. Would you have flipped a lid at them? Laughed it off? Etc. Its quite a strange and unfortunate situation and I would hope that it doesn't happen to any one else.

Any way. Artist point in 30 minutes!

Be frustrated because you only get to propose once, right? Or twice.

BUT trust me...it's a pretty funny proposal story. You will laugh about it one day. And right now, you could do something funny like proposing to her every single day for the rest of your vacation. Or proposing to her at your rehearsal dinner. :ROFLOL:Do-over!

ErickainPA

Sorry your surprise was ruined, does make for a good story though. For me after the CM gave me the pins, I would say, sorry these are not the pins for us. Don't trust anyone with a surprise like that, should have told the florist not to put anything anywhere, no mention of it.

Hope she was still excited at dinner.

PeoplemoverTTA

You could always keep proposing to her during the whole trip. Create these little romantic moments each day. That would kind of surprise her. While people might expect one purposal, they never expect 7. She'll catch on after the first couple but she'll always be wondering each day, exactly when you're going to do it.

What a sweet idea - I love it! :sohappy:

LoriMistress

That's awful that Disney messed up your engagement plans, but I think the fireworks cruise is extremely nice. You could propose to her at the fireworks cruise, or maybe in France at WS during Illuminations.

smk

I can't even remember the exact circumstances of my husband's proposal, but I know it wasn't any sort of dream proposal.

But our marriage has lasted over 30 years, and we are still very much in love. Everything else involved with the engagement/marriage process really wasn't as important, especially looking back.

So go on your cruise, just propose when it feels right (without worrying about making it "perfect") and accept that life is going to be full of little disappointments, but with love you can overcome anything.
Well said! (and so true):).

devoy1701

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the kind words. The weekend ended up going great. The Fireworks cruise was a nice touch. We were already engaged by the time the cruise came about, but I have to disagree on the romantic touch of the fireworks cruise since we had the pilot sitting just 3 feet away from us the entire time (awkward). We did very much enjoy the cruise and the conversations. The pilot was thrilled that we were already well versed in Disney History and Facts so he was able to steer away from his normal script and give us an interesting version of what happened in Pleasure Island last year during it's closing as he had worked there for about 15 years. :D

Anyway. along with the cruise we had some extra gifts waiting for us in the room after our Artist Point dinner...some personalized bath towels, some chocolates, cheeses and crackers, a set of his and her wedding Mickey Ears, a pair of etched Mickey Champagne Chutes, and some sparkeling cider (since they can't deliver alcohol without permission I guess?). The Wilderness Lodge also kept delivering different arrangements of chocolates throughout the weekend.

I ended up proposing at Artist Point as planned. The Tiara, Glass Slipper, and Carnations were supposed to be waiting on the table when we got there (paid extra to ensure early delivery and setup) but of course that didn't happen. And of couse my heart is racing as we're walking through the restaurant and I'm trying to scope out the table with the goodies on it because that was the queue to start the proposal! :( When the manager finally brought the delivery out about 20 mins into our meal....she delivered it to the WRONG TABLE! :brick:She went to the table right next to us and asked the father sitting with her daughter if someone special named Michelle was sitting there waiting for something! (nope...try one more table over!)

Friday was an extremely frustrating day as you could see. But I still got my yes, and we definitely still have a story to tell!

Now I am still going to be communicating out to Walt Disney World Guest Relations. I'm not sure how some of you feel about that. I'm still extremely frustrated with how my whole suprise was blown and how I was told that I could have trusted the CMs with the responsibility of keeping everything a secret (I will be sure to not make that mistake again). But what I want to express in my communication is that there should be a better way to handle a situation like that, with the amount of people who plan special suprises like that at Walt Disney World....as one poster said earlier in this thread, the Check-in CM should have asked something along the lines of "are you guys celebrating anything specials this vacation?" to test the waters and feel out the situation.

And yes, I know I could have said something like "oh there must be a mistake, those aren't for us..." it's not so easy to be quick like that when you're put in that situation...and your facial expressions say it all. And for those other who say "you should have had your gf go somewhere else when you were checking in..." the only thing I have to say to that is it would have been more awkward for me to tell her to go away or do something else while I was checking in than to have her with me. Of the dozen Disney vacations we've taken together over the past 4 years, we have always checked in together.

Anyway. That's all I have for you guys! Thanks again for listening! :wave:

fractal

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The weekend ended up going great. The Fireworks cruise was a nice touch. We were already engaged by the time the cruise came about, but I have to disagree on the romantic touch of the fireworks cruise since we had the pilot sitting just 3 feet away from us the entire time (awkward). We did very much enjoy the cruise and the conversations. The pilot was thrilled that we were already well versed in Disney History and Facts so he was able to steer away from his normal script and give us an interesting version of what happened in Pleasure Island last year during it's closing as he had worked there for about 15 years. :D

Anyway. along with the cruise we had some extra gifts waiting for us in the room after our Artist Point dinner...some personalized bath towels, some chocolates, cheeses and crackers, a set of his and her wedding Mickey Ears, a pair of etched Mickey Champagne Chutes, and some sparkeling cider (since they can't deliver alcohol without permission I guess?). The Wilderness Lodge also kept delivering different arrangements of chocolates throughout the weekend.

I ended up proposing at Artist Point as planned. The Tiara, Glass Slipper, and Carnations were supposed to be waiting on the table when we got there (paid extra to ensure early delivery and setup) but of course that didn't happen. And of couse my heart is racing as we're walking through the restaurant and I'm trying to scope out the table with the goodies on it because that was the queue to start the proposal! :( When the manager finally brought the delivery out about 20 mins into our meal....she delivered it to the WRONG TABLE! :brick:She went to the table right next to us and asked the father sitting with her daughter if someone special named Michelle was sitting there waiting for something! (nope...try one more table over!)

Friday was an extremely frustrating day as you could see. But I still got my yes, and we definitely still have a story to tell!

Now I am still going to be communicating out to Walt Disney World Guest Relations. I'm not sure how some of you feel about that. I'm still extremely frustrated with how my whole suprise was blown and how I was told that I could have trusted the CMs with the responsibility of keeping everything a secret (I will be sure to not make that mistake again). But what I want to express in my communication is that there should be a better way to handle a situation like that, with the amount of people who plan special suprises like that at Walt Disney World....as one poster said earlier in this thread, the Check-in CM should have asked something along the lines of "are you guys celebrating anything specials this vacation?" to test the waters and feel out the situation.

And yes, I know I could have said something like "oh there must be a mistake, those aren't for us..." it's not so easy to be quick like that when you're put in that situation...and your facial expressions say it all. And for those other who say "you should have had your gf go somewhere else when you were checking in..." the only thing I have to say to that is it would have been more awkward for me to tell her to go away or do something else while I was checking in than to have her with me. Of the dozen Disney vacations we've taken together over the past 4 years, we have always checked in together.

Anyway. That's all I have for you guys! Thanks again for listening! :wave:

Wow, they really screwed things up for you. Sorry to hear that.

Congrats on your engagement though! Maybe you tell Guest services that you where planning to go to WDW for your honeymoon but now are looking elsewhere. See what that does.

jakeman

I agree completely!

I would interested to see what their response would be.

Mouse Man

Whats done is done. It's water over the damb now. Look at it this way, both of you will one day look back at all of this and have a good laugh and a memory. I am sorry that your plan of surprise was ruined and that is a little sad, but in this case both of you were surprised and the best part is, I hope she said yes so the two of you can have a wonderful future together. Asking her to marry you is great, but will become second the day you see her walking down the isle towards you to be married in her beautiful gown. That day is best and then will become second when the day your first child is born. It's these times in our lives that are to be cherished and remembered. Life is short and things do happen not always the way we had them planned. My advice to you is to move on and realize you are a lucky person to have such a wonderful future with that little lady down the road for the rest of your life.

tizzo

I will admit its a nice gesture, but should I be satisfied? Would you guys be? the surprise is a once in a lifetime experience that we can never get back! I wanted to see what you guys thought

Evidently I'm coming a little late to the party, but since you wanted to know what people thought -

I understand your frustration, and you'd expect Disney to be a little more on top of something so important. However, as far as being "satisfied", I'm not sure what else they could have done once the surprise was spoiled. You can't "unring the bell" so to speak. I suppose a quicker-thinking CM might have some something like say "wait, those belong to the Smith's", but it's not clear that your fiance would have bought it anyway.

Also, while I've never done one before, I don't think a fireworks cruise is cheap. I'd be inclined to let the extravagance of that particular comp speak for the sincerity of Disney's apology.

Finally, keep in mind that in the grand scheme of things, while this didn't go quite how you wanted it to, it is the case that a few years from now you'll be just as married as you would have been, and you'll have a slightly more interesting (if slightly less romantic) story to tell your kids about your engagement.

Congrats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom