Disney Screwed up

mp2bill

I ended up proposing at Artist Point as planned. The Tiara, Glass Slipper, and Carnations were supposed to be waiting on the table when we got there (paid extra to ensure early delivery and setup) but of course that didn't happen. And of couse my heart is racing as we're walking through the restaurant and I'm trying to scope out the table with the goodies on it because that was the queue to start the proposal! :( When the manager finally brought the delivery out about 20 mins into our meal....she delivered it to the WRONG TABLE! :brick:She went to the table right next to us and asked the father sitting with her daughter if someone special named Michelle was sitting there waiting for something! (nope...try one more table over!)

Friday was an extremely frustrating day as you could see. But I still got my yes, and we definitely still have a story to tell!

Wow, that stinks. You'd think that a manager would sit back for a second and make sure that all that stuff was going to the correct table and not just rush over to a table and announce the name of the person being proposed to.

durangojim

I proposed to my wife at the GF 9 years ago. When we checked in, I made sure she was away from the front desk. I was planning to propose the next evening and spoke to the CM telling them in very specific terms what I wanted after I had proposed. I also went and spoke to the manager at V&A's doing the same. Everything went off without a hitch, until the day after we were engaged. At V&A's they give women a red rose in a plastic "case" with V&A embossed on the case. My wife took this back to our room and hung up the rose to dry so she could keep it as a memento of our wonderful evening. The next day when the mouse keeper cleaned our room she threw out the rose. My wife was devistated. I spoke to the manager who apologized profusely they replaced the rose, gave us free champagne, chocoate covered strawberries, and a congratulations card from Mickey and Minnie. We still had a wonderful trip, but my wife still brings up the rose incident but really doesn't bother her now. These things happen and become little footnotes in our lives even though at the time they seem incredibly important.

devoy1701

Original Poster
He was caught off guard and was not able to play it off.

That skill will come later, after a few years of marrage :D

-dave

Playing something off with the loved one is one thing.

Being caught off guard in a situation like this is another. No matter what I would/could have said, I don't think I could have controlled the instinctive facial expression that I made. It's just one of those things...

French Quarter

I think that you have every right to upset with Disney. They absolutely did the wrong thing twice. However, I do think that they did all that they could do to make it up to you. And I do think that they were very aware of the problem. So, I'm not sure what writing a letter will do at this point? I think it will only make you dwell on the ruined surprise instead of putting that behind you and focusing on the awesomeness that is being engaged. Again, you have ever right to write to them but I'm not sure what that will accomplish at this point.

Congratulations! What a bummer that you tried so hard to make it extra special and circumstances beyond your control caused it to not be.

Couple things - #1 - you paid extra for early delivery of the slipper at the dinner and it wasn't there as planned. I would want the extra money I paid for the early delivery refunded - you paid, they didn't deliver, you should get money back. Period.

#2 - Yes you should let Guest Relations know how botched this became. I would also contact management directly at Artist Point for the guy taking the arrangment to the wrong table. No compensation necessary but they need to figure this out.

#3 - this didn't go as planned and you seem like a romantic guy. I'm sure you'll think of something fabulous to do at the wedding ceremony and this time keep Disney out of it. :)

~Amanda

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
He was caught off guard and was not able to play it off.

That skill will come later, after a few years of marrage :D

-dave
Yep, I can still pull off great surprises etc with Sam. Boy, there have been some close calls too. There comes a point that if you have to lie, steal, cheat to keep it a secret. :lol:

I have had similar situations happen and I had a backup for the backup. IE: on check in, I might have asked Sam to do something like go grab something that I would see (all on the spot) or something weird to distract her. The easiest is when we are in a position near some of those stands with all the brochures of local attractions.... I could smuggle and elephant in the room if she is entertained at one of those kiosks. She loves to thumb through all the local tourist traps and laugh. "Babe, did you know there is a museum for the history of the cave man?"

Not that we have ever been to one of them.

tizzo

Yep, I can still pull off great surprises etc with Sam. Boy, there have been some close calls too. There comes a point that if you have to lie, steal, cheat to keep it a secret. :lol:

Reminds me of trying to conceal my wife's wedding shower from her. As a cover story, we told her that we were attending a going away party for her sister who just happened to be moving to FL around that time, and also was hosting the shower. My then-fiance and I spent the entire weekend before the shower shopping for just the right gift for her sister. She bought it though, and was surprised.

Matt and Kelly

This definitely sounds like a wild weekend! Congratulations on your engagement. Obviously things did not go as planned but, by the way you have describe everything, I think you both handled the situation very well.

Congrats again, have fun planning the wedding and good luck to you and your soon to be wife!

I'm not very sentimental, so maybe what I'm about to say doesn't hold much weight, but it's probably one of the best engagement stories I've heard. Anyone can ask someone to marry them in a restaurant or in front of the castle. You can even go all out and do something outrageous, but really how many people can say that they found out that way? I know it's not what you wanted, but it's probably a great story for the future.

Sorry things didn't work out exactly the way you wanted.

Eyorefan

Congratulations! What a bummer that you tried so hard to make it extra special and circumstances beyond your control caused it to not be.

Couple things - #1 - you paid extra for early delivery of the slipper at the dinner and it wasn't there as planned. I would want the extra money I paid for the early delivery refunded - you paid, they didn't deliver, you should get money back. Period.

#2 - Yes you should let Guest Relations know how botched this became. I would also contact management directly at Artist Point for the guy taking the arrangment to the wrong table. No compensation necessary but they need to figure this out.

#3 - this didn't go as planned and you seem like a romantic guy. I'm sure you'll think of something fabulous to do at the wedding ceremony and this time keep Disney out of it. :)

~Amanda

I agree with all three points, espcially #1. Contact Guest Relations, but don't forget to call the florist as well!

Pseybert

Devoy1701, I am very sorry, and I share your frustration. Your story is extra interesting to me, because I am a front desk cast member. I know exactly what went down from the "other" side of things. Essentially, there was carelessness on the Front Desk side of things for sure. However, if the engagement was listed in the celebrations, and if there was no "comment" (which would be listed in a separate spot from the celebration listing) saying to not announce the engagement, then the cast member really didn't do anything wrong. Even if there was a "comment", it would still be extremely easy for a newer CM (and around this time of year, there are a lot of new CMs coming in on the college program) to slip up.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say, is that you were correct when you showed your initial concern about the florist putting it on the reservation in the first place. There was literally no reason for it to be there, only negative things could come from it, and I am surprised that the florist did not realize this when you told them you would rather not list the celebration.

I really do not want to sound like I am making excuses for the Front Desk cast member. It is unfortunate that it happened. I am so happy for you that she still said yes. Congrats!

Tom Morrow

This is a very dissapointing story, OP, and you have my sympathies. At least it all turned out alright in the end, though.
That said,
Speak with an attorney, and inquire as to a potential cause of action for "intentional [reckless] infliction of emotional distress," or maybe even "negligent infliction of emotional distress."

It may be helpful for you to cite: Florida Department of Corrections v. Abril, No. SC04-1747. Oct. 18, 2007. Lawyers USA No. 9938515, where the Florida Supreme Court found that the impact rule did not apply in the following context:

"Because the only reasonable damages arising from a breach of [the state law requiring confidentiality in HIV testing] are emotional distress, and because this emotional damage would be akin to that suffered by victims of defamation or invasion of privacy, we conclude they should not be barred by the impact rule. Thus we agree that an exception to the impact rule should be made when a laboratory or other health care provider is negligent in failing to keep confidential the results of an HIV test."

Florida's version of the impact rule has more aptly been described as having a "hybrid" nature, requiring either impact upon one's person or, in certain situations, at a minimum the manifestation of emotional distress in the form of a discernible physical injury or illness.

:sohappy:
only in the US would somebody sue over this.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
CM's should be better trained at handling this situation when they see "Engaged" come up on your reservation. They can give something for the woman to do while checking in so they can secretly ask you if you have asked yet. I mean look for a ring on her finger as well...

However I called and made sure they put notes on my account not to say ANYTHING until after our first nights stay. Even when I checked us in I made sure I gave Colleen something to do and told the CM IMMEDIATELY to not even mention it and she said its okay its in the notes not to say anything.

Something THAT important you have to take care of your own investment at that point and do what you gotta do to make sure nobody F's it up for you. I told the check in CM, I also said something to the CM at our lunch ADR to not say anything.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Devoy1701, I am very sorry, and I share your frustration. Your story is extra interesting to me, because I am a front desk cast member. I know exactly what went down from the "other" side of things. Essentially, there was carelessness on the Front Desk side of things for sure. However, if the engagement was listed in the celebrations, and if there was no "comment" (which would be listed in a separate spot from the celebration listing) saying to not announce the engagement, then the cast member really didn't do anything wrong. Even if there was a "comment", it would still be extremely easy for a newer CM (and around this time of year, there are a lot of new CMs coming in on the college program) to slip up.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say, is that you were correct when you showed your initial concern about the florist putting it on the reservation in the first place. There was literally no reason for it to be there, only negative things could come from it, and I am surprised that the florist did not realize this when you told them you would rather not list the celebration.

I really do not want to sound like I am making excuses for the Front Desk cast member. It is unfortunate that it happened. I am so happy for you that she still said yes. Congrats!

I agree here...but like I said in the above post the CM should have still thought to his/her self ARE the engaged yet. Maybe this person did not know you can leave comments on the reservations about not saying anything.

But again everyone has to be responsible for themselves at that point, because I never trust systems, or phone calls, or noted accounts. I've worked in too many places and saw notes I posted vanish or never post. I always call and re check with someone else.

Pseybert

I agree here...but like I said in the above post the CM should have still thought to his/her self ARE the engaged yet. Maybe this person did not know you can leave comments on the reservations about not saying anything.

But again everyone has to be responsible for themselves at that point, because I never trust systems, or phone calls, or noted accounts. I've worked in too many places and saw notes I posted vanish or never post. I always call and re check with someone else.

Again, I don't want to make excuses for the CM, and we are trained to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check comments, which is why I suspect that there was not a comment to begin with about it being a surprise.

However, imagine a brand new college program cast member. Just moved to Florida. Overwhelmed with learning about Disney, learning a whole new job, and their head freshly filled with magic and pixie dust. They see the words: "CELEBRATION: ENGAGEMENT!" in big colorful letters on their screen. They instantly think "Oh! How special," as they nervously remember that they have a tool they can use to help the couple celebrate. Without thinking, the CM excitedly grabs the buttons and puts them on the desk. And, in a matter or seconds, the big surprise is ruined by a CM who was trying to make some extra magic in the way they were trained to do.

It's unfortunate, but it can easily happen. It's frustrating to me, because the more I think about it, I really can't understand the florists reasoning behind wanting to list the celebration on the reservation. There was just no good that could have come from it.

TRONorail10

Once again, this is not to make excuses, but a lot of people don't realize how stressful it is to be a CM at Disney. CM's have to deal with hundreds if not thousands of guests a day, and they try so hard to give individual attention to as many people as they can. But it is HARD, VERY HARD. Add to the fact that CM's are underpaid and overworked, it makes it a very stressful situation to go out of their way for everyone. I agree that several things could have gone wrong with the situation. Whether the florist didn't notify the front desk, or the CM didn't pay attention to a specific note, or it was a new CM who was over-excited. I can tell you from first hand experience, that anytime 2 different departments at Disney have to interact with one another, there is a high probably of communication error. Did Disney screw up? No, a person screwed up, more than likely because of a communication issue. Did Disney make up for it? They did the best they could do. Legally, they owe nothing. The first thing I learned when working for Disney was not to trust anybody, and ALWAYS get everything verified in writing. I now carry this practice in everything I do. If u had an e-mail or fax, from whoever, noting that nothing was to be said about the engagement, you might have gotten your entire stay for free. All and all, what matters is the fact that you have hopefully found the love of your life, and regardless of the mistake that occurred, you will both live happily ever after. Despite how special an engagement is, there are plenty of other ways to make magical moments in your lives (i do it everyday). While a lot of planning goes into big events, it's the little things that matter the most in life.

Disney05

Congratulations on the engagement! Sorry it didn't go as planned. But you are engaged now. And it sounds as if Disney attempted to make it up to you with all the deliveries to your room through out your stay. I don't know if complaining to Disney is going to get you anything but you blowing off steam. What more are you expecting to get? What's done is done. It sounds like you had a good time otherwise. Hopefully that's the worst thing that happens to you two during your, hopefully, long marriage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom