Disney Screwed up

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
It is unfortunate, but a good example of how things dont always go as planned. You have to adjust and make the best of things which it sounds like you did.

Glass half full right? I would take that spoiled surprise over something else that could have been uncontrollable that day IE: Illness, bad weather etc.

sublimesting

I'm not really expecting anything really. You can't really put a monetary amount on that kind of moment. I wasn't saying that Disney morally or legally owes me anything. When I called the Disney Florists back to tell them what happened it was to express my frustration and to let them know what happened...because I would hate for it to happen to someone else.

I'm not looking for advise on what and how to get Disney to make up for it, just wondering how some of you would have handled it. Would you have flipped a lid at them? Laughed it off? Etc. Its quite a strange and unfortunate situation and I would hope that it doesn't happen to any one else.

Any way. Artist point in 30 minutes!

I woud have spoken to the manager with myfiace not present and I would have been seriously angry! The fireworks cruise is nic and there's just not much more they can do. It's one of those injustices in life where there really canbe no restitution to make up for it. However....... you now have a story for a life-time. You'll lugh later. Trust me.

When I proposed to my wife I did a message in a bottle (the proposal) that I had wash up on the beach right as we were walking by while we were walking the beach at night (still surprised I pulled that off). She spotted the bottle and ran over and picked it up and said Ther's a message inside!"

Well fast forward to he next year and a week before the wedding. I get a call from the jewelry store. "Sir, there's been a mistake. The ring your wife is wearing had the dimond mixed up with someone else's ring for the last year." I proposed with someone else's enagement ring. The ring she showed off wasn't even hers and now had to be returnd. I was furios beyond belief!!!!

Now, 7 years later it's a story we tell and laugh about.

JillC LI

When you saw the pins, you might of said, Oh it must be a mistake, we're not engaged and then figured out something to do later.
That's exactly what I was going to say you should have done! Lie, lie, lie! LOL. But it's hard to think straight in a moment of shock and dismay like that.

I'm so sorry your surprise was ruined. Sadly, there is nothing they can do to give you back that moment. What's important is she said YES!

mickey2008.1

I think you handled the first incident very well and the cruise was sufficient, but im not n your shoes and it didnt happen to me. As for the second ncident of the glass slipper, that would have made me flip out and major communications with guest relatons would ensue. Congrats to the both of you and keep us updated as to how they fixed your situation.

WDW 3

All the stuff showing up in your room? "Anyway. along with the cruise we had some extra gifts waiting for us in the room after our Artist Point dinner...some personalized bath towels, some chocolates, cheeses and crackers, a set of his and her wedding Mickey Ears, a pair of etched Mickey Champagne Chutes, and some sparkeling cider (since they can't deliver alcohol without permission I guess?). The Wilderness Lodge also kept delivering different arrangements of chocolates throughout the weekend." All free? Very nice attempt anyway.

WishIwasThere

My proposal almost got ruined many moons ago. I planned to propose on the top of the Empire State Building, way back in March 1997. About two weeks prior to that, some whacko shot a couple of tourists on the observation deck. They then installed metal detectors in the building, which of course went off with my ring box in my pocket. I had to shoo off my fiance to be and showed the guards the box discretely. Thankfully the let me go through, ring box in my pocket and the rest is happy history.

Sorry they ruined your surprise, but I'm sure your fiance is very happy you went through the effort to try to make this a surprise she'd remember. This is something you will hopefully laugh about in years to come...how Disney was unmagical on this special day.

wdwwdeagle

Congratulations! I hope this story helps a bit with perspective...
We witnessed a perfect Disney proposal while dining at V&A in May.
The wait staff held up their end of the deal perfectly, surreptitiously got in position for snapshots of the big moment, stealthily let us know what was going on (since we were the table right next to them) so that we wouldn't act like idiots, stare at them, or ruin their moment. Everything went off without a hitch.....
until a few minutes after all the hubbub died down, everyone went away, and when they thought no one was listening, the guy turns to the girl (who is now ashen and turning a bit green) and says, "Are you okay?" To which she replies, "This is a lot to take in. I'm not sure." Kiss of death.
Now THAT'S a proposal situation you don't want. I'd take the happy fiancee who knew it was coming over the girl who doesn't know whether she's happy any day.

Thorpyness

Think about this, you've had an considerable time to try and fulfill the expectation and "make it perfect", she gets a couple of seconds to weigh it up and decide whether to conform to the "perfect" image, or blurt out what she really thinks. Yes the surprise was ruined, but you've got a girl that had time to think about this and still said yes, it wasn't a snapshot response based on social conditioning of what you're supposed to do at that time, which she might try and wriggle out of in the future. She loves you and you can't buy that for any price.

Enjoy it, keep smiling and like others have said, it's the memories (and babies) you make together that are worth far more than any "mess" up.

nolatron

Congrats on the engagment, but sorry for all the trouble! Sheesh!

It doesn't surprise me really, though. A few years ago, CM's at CRT screwed up a bday surprise for my wife. A few trips after that, a CM at the plaza ruined a surprise the wife had for me for my bday. CM Blurted it out while we were checking in, and they brought it to the wrong table like you. Wife was almost in tears when we left.

We haven't let Disney plan anything else after that because they just can't seem to get it right

Heck, even at our wedding at the Poly the Justice read the wrong ceremony (we picked a particular one) and caught me off guard with a "repeat after a me" line. Luckily my brain heard it and I managed to ramble it off correctly without looking like I was second guessing getting married! :eek:

RickyMouseMom

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The weekend ended up going great. The Fireworks cruise was a nice touch. We were already engaged by the time the cruise came about, but I have to disagree on the romantic touch of the fireworks cruise since we had the pilot sitting just 3 feet away from us the entire time (awkward). We did very much enjoy the cruise and the conversations. The pilot was thrilled that we were already well versed in Disney History and Facts so he was able to steer away from his normal script and give us an interesting version of what happened in Pleasure Island last year during it's closing as he had worked there for about 15 years. :D

Anyway. along with the cruise we had some extra gifts waiting for us in the room after our Artist Point dinner...some personalized bath towels, some chocolates, cheeses and crackers, a set of his and her wedding Mickey Ears, a pair of etched Mickey Champagne Chutes, and some sparkeling cider (since they can't deliver alcohol without permission I guess?). The Wilderness Lodge also kept delivering different arrangements of chocolates throughout the weekend.

I ended up proposing at Artist Point as planned. The Tiara, Glass Slipper, and Carnations were supposed to be waiting on the table when we got there (paid extra to ensure early delivery and setup) but of course that didn't happen. And of couse my heart is racing as we're walking through the restaurant and I'm trying to scope out the table with the goodies on it because that was the queue to start the proposal! :( When the manager finally brought the delivery out about 20 mins into our meal....she delivered it to the WRONG TABLE! :brick:She went to the table right next to us and asked the father sitting with her daughter if someone special named Michelle was sitting there waiting for something! (nope...try one more table over!)

Friday was an extremely frustrating day as you could see. But I still got my yes, and we definitely still have a story to tell!

Now I am still going to be communicating out to Walt Disney World Guest Relations. I'm not sure how some of you feel about that. I'm still extremely frustrated with how my whole suprise was blown and how I was told that I could have trusted the CMs with the responsibility of keeping everything a secret (I will be sure to not make that mistake again). But what I want to express in my communication is that there should be a better way to handle a situation like that, with the amount of people who plan special suprises like that at Walt Disney World....as one poster said earlier in this thread, the Check-in CM should have asked something along the lines of "are you guys celebrating anything specials this vacation?" to test the waters and feel out the situation.

And yes, I know I could have said something like "oh there must be a mistake, those aren't for us..." it's not so easy to be quick like that when you're put in that situation...and your facial expressions say it all. And for those other who say "you should have had your gf go somewhere else when you were checking in..." the only thing I have to say to that is it would have been more awkward for me to tell her to go away or do something else while I was checking in than to have her with me. Of the dozen Disney vacations we've taken together over the past 4 years, we have always checked in together.

Anyway. That's all I have for you guys! Thanks again for listening! :wave:

I feel really bad about what happened. I have completely given up on arranging ANY surprises at WDW after 3 bad experiences.... I'm sure that many have had WONDERFUL experiences, but we have not anytime we try to plan something. As you said, I never EXPECTED anything comped in return for their screw-ups, but rather I was extremely disappointed in the surprises being ruined - which you can't get back. And I'm not a complainer, just try to take it in stride, but NEVER AGAIN will I trust Disney with a special surprise...

Not to Hijack the thread but: 1st was through Disney florist. I CONFIRMED that a gift basket I had made up for our 10th anniversary would arrive in our room while we were gone - by6pm. No problem...Well, it didnt arrive until later after I had to call and find out what happened (arrived after 10pm). DH had also worked with Disney florist and they flubbed up his too - same thing happened. I think that their service is sloppy. Ok, I am sure that many here will say their experience was wonderful and perfect, but our was not... twice! That wasnt a big deal, just annoying after they confirmed times and how it was to be delivered. Also, I had arranged for a cake for my son's birthday at Chef Mickey's and I had ordered extras.. gift bags for our kids, center piece to be on table when we arrived. Confirmed at check-in. NOthing on table. Had to ask twice, got it at the END of the meal - gift bags and centerpiece still in the bag. Had to ask twice for the cake - didn't get it until AFTER dessert. I had confirmed at check in - reminded the waiter TWICE! I HAD to complain (didnt expect anything, just wanted to let them know what happened) and management comped the gift bags (total $10), but the SURPRISE was ruined. The last trip, I didn't bother with gift baskets OR a cake OR anything. On one of our dinner reservations, I noted my son's birthday for 1 dinner. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT the waiters sang and gave a cupcake. By the 3rd night, my son was uncomfortable and my younger son was jealous. Ok, so some would think that was nice but my son is funny about alot of attention - he doesn't like it. If I wanted to celebrate every night, I would have noted it on every reservation. I asked the front desk about our reservations and the CM told me it was noted on EVERY DINNER RESERVATION! Sloppy? YES! :brick:

Unfortunatley, NEVER AGAIN will I plan anything special, I feel that Disney is just too sloppy. Im sure them are fighting words for some, but in my experiences it has never worked out. I don't let it ruin my vacations obviously, but I won't be entrusting anything special to Disney ever again.:shrug:

RickyMouseMom

It doesn't surprise me really, though. A few years ago, CM's at CRT screwed up a bday surprise for my wife. A few trips after that, a CM at the plaza ruined a surprise the wife had for me for my bday. CM Blurted it out while we were checking in, and they brought it to the wrong table like you. Wife was almost in tears when we left.

We haven't let Disney plan anything else after that because they just can't seem to get it right

Heck, even at our wedding at the Poly the Justice read the wrong ceremony (we picked a particular one) and caught me off guard with a "repeat after a me" line. Luckily my brain heard it and I managed to ramble it off correctly without looking like I was second guessing getting married! :eek:

This is exactly what I posted... I can't trust Disney planning anything really special because I think they are sloppy... "they just can't seem to get it right".

devoy1701

Original Poster
I feel really bad about what happened. I have completely given up on arranging ANY surprises at WDW after 3 bad experiences.... I'm sure that many have had WONDERFUL experiences, but we have not anytime we try to plan something. As you said, I never EXPECTED anything comped in return for their screw-ups, but rather I was extremely disappointed in the surprises being ruined - which you can't get back. And I'm not a complainer, just try to take it in stride, but NEVER AGAIN will I trust Disney with a special surprise...

Not to Hijack the thread but: 1st was through Disney florist. I CONFIRMED that a gift basket I had made up for our 10th anniversary would arrive in our room while we were gone - by6pm. No problem...Well, it didnt arrive until later after I had to call and find out what happened (arrived after 10pm). DH had also worked with Disney florist and they flubbed up his too - same thing happened. I think that their service is sloppy. Ok, I am sure that many here will say their experience was wonderful and perfect, but our was not... twice! That wasnt a big deal, just annoying after they confirmed times and how it was to be delivered. Also, I had arranged for a cake for my son's birthday at Chef Mickey's and I had ordered extras.. gift bags for our kids, center piece to be on table when we arrived. Confirmed at check-in. NOthing on table. Had to ask twice, got it at the END of the meal - gift bags and centerpiece still in the bag. Had to ask twice for the cake - didn't get it until AFTER dessert. I had confirmed at check in - reminded the waiter TWICE! I HAD to complain (didnt expect anything, just wanted to let them know what happened) and management comped the gift bags (total $10), but the SURPRISE was ruined. The last trip, I didn't bother with gift baskets OR a cake OR anything. On one of our dinner reservations, I noted my son's birthday for 1 dinner. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT the waiters sang and gave a cupcake. By the 3rd night, my son was uncomfortable and my younger son was jealous. Ok, so some would think that was nice but my son is funny about alot of attention - he doesn't like it. If I wanted to celebrate every night, I would have noted it on every reservation. I asked the front desk about our reservations and the CM told me it was noted on EVERY DINNER RESERVATION! Sloppy? YES! :brick:

Unfortunatley, NEVER AGAIN will I plan anything special, I feel that Disney is just too sloppy. Im sure them are fighting words for some, but in my experiences it has never worked out. I don't let it ruin my vacations obviously, but I won't be entrusting anything special to Disney ever again.:shrug:

Congratulations! I hope this story helps a bit with perspective...
We witnessed a perfect Disney proposal while dining at V&A in May.
The wait staff held up their end of the deal perfectly, surreptitiously got in position for snapshots of the big moment, stealthily let us know what was going on (since we were the table right next to them) so that we wouldn't act like idiots, stare at them, or ruin their moment. Everything went off without a hitch.....
until a few minutes after all the hubbub died down, everyone went away, and when they thought no one was listening, the guy turns to the girl (who is now ashen and turning a bit green) and says, "Are you okay?" To which she replies, "This is a lot to take in. I'm not sure." Kiss of death.
Now THAT'S a proposal situation you don't want. I'd take the happy fiancee who knew it was coming over the girl who doesn't know whether she's happy any day.

I think I will follow the words of wisdom you guys present and leave the planning to myself from now on!

ok since you are still going to do it anyways this is what you should do. go to the crystal shop at mk and get a glass slipper and put the ring in it. and tell your gf even though the surprise got ruined then go from there. i used the glass slipper when i asked my wife to marry me. and i did it at mk. even had it engraved after i asked that way we had something to take home with us about that minute:shrug:

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The weekend ended up going great. The Fireworks cruise was a nice touch. We were already engaged by the time the cruise came about, but I have to disagree on the romantic touch of the fireworks cruise since we had the pilot sitting just 3 feet away from us the entire time (awkward). We did very much enjoy the cruise and the conversations. The pilot was thrilled that we were already well versed in Disney History and Facts so he was able to steer away from his normal script and give us an interesting version of what happened in Pleasure Island last year during it's closing as he had worked there for about 15 years. :D

Anyway. along with the cruise we had some extra gifts waiting for us in the room after our Artist Point dinner...some personalized bath towels, some chocolates, cheeses and crackers, a set of his and her wedding Mickey Ears, a pair of etched Mickey Champagne Chutes, and some sparkeling cider (since they can't deliver alcohol without permission I guess?). The Wilderness Lodge also kept delivering different arrangements of chocolates throughout the weekend.

I ended up proposing at Artist Point as planned. The Tiara, Glass Slipper, and Carnations were supposed to be waiting on the table when we got there (paid extra to ensure early delivery and setup) but of course that didn't happen. And of couse my heart is racing as we're walking through the restaurant and I'm trying to scope out the table with the goodies on it because that was the queue to start the proposal! :( When the manager finally brought the delivery out about 20 mins into our meal....she delivered it to the WRONG TABLE! :brick:She went to the table right next to us and asked the father sitting with her daughter if someone special named Michelle was sitting there waiting for something! (nope...try one more table over!)

Friday was an extremely frustrating day as you could see. But I still got my yes, and we definitely still have a story to tell!

Now I am still going to be communicating out to Walt Disney World Guest Relations. I'm not sure how some of you feel about that. I'm still extremely frustrated with how my whole suprise was blown and how I was told that I could have trusted the CMs with the responsibility of keeping everything a secret (I will be sure to not make that mistake again). But what I want to express in my communication is that there should be a better way to handle a situation like that, with the amount of people who plan special suprises like that at Walt Disney World....as one poster said earlier in this thread, the Check-in CM should have asked something along the lines of "are you guys celebrating anything specials this vacation?" to test the waters and feel out the situation.

And yes, I know I could have said something like "oh there must be a mistake, those aren't for us..." it's not so easy to be quick like that when you're put in that situation...and your facial expressions say it all. And for those other who say "you should have had your gf go somewhere else when you were checking in..." the only thing I have to say to that is it would have been more awkward for me to tell her to go away or do something else while I was checking in than to have her with me. Of the dozen Disney vacations we've taken together over the past 4 years, we have always checked in together.

Anyway. That's all I have for you guys! Thanks again for listening! :wave:
congrata to the both of you:sohappy:

Phonedave

That whole incident is just a mess. By the way, I was eating at AP Thursday night - spent the week at the WL. I missed this whole thing by a day.

I let my (ex) wife know I was going to propose before I did. As someone else said, you pop this question and who knows what is going to happen. As it was, she knew it was coming (but was not sure exactly when) and I still had to grab her to prevent her from falling into the Hudson river when I asked her.

There is really not much you can do at this point. The gifts and the cruise was a nice attempt to make it up to you. You would think that they get so many proposals there, they would put something like ***SECRET*** on the reservation to tip the CM's off.

It sounds like they need someone to manage the communications and Methods & Procedures. Hey Disney, I can be hired for the right price :)

-dave

mp2bill

Good question. I'm not sure how I would feel. As a customer, I'd definitely be upset. As for what Disney owes you, that's kind tricky. "Legally" speaking, I don't think they really have to do anything. Ironically, you'd probably get better restitution if there was something seriously wrong with your room, even though emotionally that scenario certainly wouldn't be as bad. When you book a hotel room, you expect a minimum number of things (working plumbing, a clean room, tv working, etc..). These are all things Disney is responsible for providing you with.

It's a slippery slope. I'm in the entertainment business, and when something goes wrong (which is rare), it all comes down to liability. The fact that the florist promised you the CM wouldn't spill the beans, doesn't really create any sort of "verbal agreement". In other words, no matter what she said about the CM, she was not ultimately responsible for the CM's actions (and Disney as a whole seemingly didn't promise anything either in this respect). If I were the florist, I wouldn't of promised you anything, and then let you decide how you wanted to handle the best way to keep it a secret.

I think you're overthinking this. The OP didn't ask about legal actions that can be taken.

As for what I would have done; I am a big proponent of always having a backup plan and cover story in case somebody else screws up a surprise for me...which is what happened when I proposed to my (then) girlfriend.

I proposed to my wife 4 years ago this upcoming Halloween. My wife and I are big Halloween and Christmas fiends and one thing we love doing every Halloween is carving Jack-O-Lanterns (the cool designs, not the triangle eyes and gapped teeth variety). So I decided that I'd hide the ring in her pumpkin after having removed the top for her. However, to prevent the ring from getting dirty inside the pumpkin, I put it inside one of those clear, small "eggs" that you get a "prize" in (for 25 cents) at the exit of a grocery store. Unfortunately, that posessed another problem, which was the ring bouncing around inside the "egg," making a lot of noise. Therefore, I put it inside a desk drawer and told everybody (we were with a bunch of friends and my siblings) not to open the drawer and/or make any comment if they saw the ring. Unfortunately, my brother opened the desk drawer and then left it open. Of course, my (then) girlfriend saw the ring and asked about it, so I covered by saying that it was probably fake (we weren't at our apartment)...one of those cheap "prizes" you get outside the grocery store. Thankfully she bought it and was surprised minutes later when she found the ring inside her pumpkin. Nevertheless, I almost pulled the plug and was going to use a backup plan.

In your case, however, I, personally, would have just let her know then and there that you were planning on proposing. However, if you felt as though the whole thing was ruined, I would have denied that you were getting engaged (after seeing the pins), and, later on, would have asked for a free backstage tour as opposed to the fireworks boat ride. The reason for this...the fireworks boat ride is very romantic, which makes it seem like you're planning something and you could just tell her that you had planned the tour all along.

As for what I would expect...I think that the fireworks boat ride is enough. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to undo the ruined surprise, so I think anything over $150 (within reason) would be acceptable for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom