Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

PeterAlt

By the way, Disney studio chief Alan Horn has been doing a splendid job since he took the position. Just look at the box office receipts. Guardians of the Galaxy, for example has beat everyone's wildest expectation.

This is the kind of person Disney needs as its next CEO. If he runs, he would get elected hands-down!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
By the way, Disney studio chief Alan Horn has been doing a splendid job since he took the position. Just look at the box office receipts. Guardians of the Galaxy, for example has beat everyone's wildest expectation.

This is the kind of person Disney needs as its next CEO. If he runs, he would get elected hands-down!
Screen-Shot-2013-07-02-at-4.08.18-PM.png

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
All I know is Star Was is coming to Disney, Avatar is being built as we speak. I'm excited about that. It will take time but like all things will be here before you know it.
I'm excited Universal expanded Potter.
I don't care who builds what...I just like it's being built.
I dont care either, but given recent history Ill wait till Disney delivers its PR promises before I herald a new dawn.

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
I dont care either, but given recent history Ill wait till Disney delivers its PR promises before I herald a new dawn.

Well with Iger announcing Star Wars is coming at I think two earnings reports and with 100's of websites reporting his words,he would make Disney look pretty silly if he goes back on his promise and people would be very very upset.
It's coming, maybe not soon, maybe not what we want, maybe exactly what we want...but it's coming and I believe it will be here in 2020.
Yes I wish it was sooner but I'm only a fan and have zero control of these things. Is what it is.

February 2015: Going to DisneyLand to see new Cars Land
December 2015: Going to DisneyWorld to see new fantasyland and Harry Potter.
I'm excited there is new stuff to see now! I'm excited there will be new stuff in the future.
I'm going again in 2017, I'll go again in 2020.
I'm looking at a five year Disney trip plan that has tons of cool stuff to visit. I'm exciting. (When I say Disney trip I also mean I'll hit a Universal park)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Well with Iger announcing Star Wars is coming at I think two earnings reports and with 100's of websites reporting his words,he would make Disney look pretty silly if he goes back on his promise and people would be very very upset.
It's coming, maybe not soon, maybe not what we want, maybe exactly what we want...but it's coming and I believe it will be here in 2020.
)
Thats the great thing about being a free market consumer I can go somewhere that caters to my tastes.
As for Igers promises of a presence in every park, even a merchandise cart would cover that would it not.

PeterAlt

Well that stinks
But it's something no other parks or resorts have! Not that I'm bragging about it. The good news is that the project is complete or - as they say in French - finèshed (sp?). It has seen the light of day and will no longer be a vampire sucking the money away. It is a project that has met its maker and is no more. It is an x-project that has gone ka-boom, vaporizing into the meta ether of existence.

EDIT - Wow, that was deep!

Disneyhead'71

But it's something no other parks or resorts have! Not that I'm bragging about it. The good news is that the project is complete or - as they say in French - finèshed (sp?). It has seen the light of day and will no longer be a vampire sucking the money away. It is a project that has met its maker and is no more. It is an x-project that has gone ka-boom, vaporizing into the meta ether of existence.

EDIT - Wow, that was deep!
Unfortunately, because of all the added cm labor costs, MM± is still sucking money like a Kirby vacuum.

Beiste1

I am personally very glad that the Harry Potter Franchise went with Universal. Disney didn't want to give over the amount of freedom it took to make Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley the phenomenons they have and are becoming. I could not even fathom the thought of Harry, Hermione or Ron in Mouse Ears, much less Dumbledor or He Who Must Not Be Named... can you imagine? Universal was definitely the right time and place for JK Rowling to bring her vision to life

That being said, I am going to go on to some of the issues I see at the Disney parks. Number 1--- acquiring the rights to James Cameron's Avitar to beef up Animal Kingdom. Disney has so many franchises they already own that they could have used with out purchasing rights from a film that premiered 5 years ago. I'm sure the concept will be pretty, the concept art is pretty spectacular, but I wish they had just gone with the original concept of Beastly Kingdom. The concept art from that was phenomenal, and they could have done so much with it, too.

Money-wise, I really don't understand Disney since there are no living Disney's still on the board. Disney is a business, we all know that, but spending billions on Magic Bands and FP+ technology when your theme parks need new, exciting attractions does not a fair trade make in my book. Although I will admit some of the things the Magic Bands can do are pretty cool, I don't think they are worth it. Let's examine "The NEW FANTASYLAND", shall we? Gorgeous architecture... very pretty on the surface... but then you notice that within that surface are attractions that not only not new, but not even new concepts. I'm sorry, but creating Maurice's cottage does not distract from the fact that the show inside is still the same old "Story Time With Belle"... and that story was actually more effective over by the castle. Then you go next door to visit Eric's Castle, which is gorgeous on the outside and the inside, but houses the same ride you could take over at The Seas with Nemo and Friends. The Great Goofini is just The Barnstormer in disguise and they added another set of flying elephants. Some of the things most little kids I knew always talked about were Minnie and Mickey's houses, and they tore them down. So sad. Now, I have not had the opportunity to try either of the "gems" of New Fantasyland... Dinner in Beast's Castle or a ride on the 7 Dwarf's Mine Train. I figure I will have great grandchildren by the time I can get reservations or FP+ for either of those. Standing in the standby line for the coaster isn't an option in Florida, because inevitably it will close for rain.... so it rolls in Florida...lol!

Now,on to the lucrative properties that are owned by Disney.... let's say Pixar, animated classics, live action, etc. Why not introduce them into the landscape of Walt Disney World. Car's Land and Bug's Life has done wonders for both the California and Paris Parks... why not in Hollywood Studios? Goodness knows they need more attractions... and if they re-figure their land, there would be plenty of room. Sorry, but The Back Lot Tour with Catastrophe Canyon.... Pixar Place could extend back into all of that area.... and it could include attractions from the new movie Planes, too! And Disney..... there are other kid's type rides that don't include flying pachyderms and the like.

On to the Disney Animated features. Seems as though unless an animated feature came before the year 1998, it hasn't stood a chance of becoming a full fledged attraction. C'mon... a character greeting and a tower in front of restroom for Tangled, a character greeting for Merida? At least Frozen has an ice pond... but geez, think of the many attractions they could get just from that one movie? Olaf at Blizzard Beach in the kid's section, a meal with the Characters from Frozen at Akersus instead of a generic princess meal, a Broadway style show at Hollywood Studios at the soon to be vacated ABC theater.... and (I know this may not go over well for many), but a re-theming of Maelstrom. It's about time to put some new life into that old attraction.

But above all of this..... my fervent dream is to see, somehow, someway, when I wish upon that star and Tink sprinkles her pixie dust... to have the Beastly Kingdom of my dreams... so my Unicorn can finally be a part of where she belongs... in Animal Kingdom, not the parking lot.

twebber55

That's a fair point. Nobody is doubting Disney's ability to create style. However lately they have failed to produce substance.
im not sure I agree.... Carsland, Mystic point, Ratatouille, and New Fantasyland are all well done.... 7 dwarfs is a incredibly themed (albeit short) ride made in a land really designed for little kids
my biggest issue with Disney right now is the length it takes to build stuff but they re still producing high quality stuff

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
im not sure I agree.... Carsland, Mystic point, Ratatouille, and New Fantasyland are all well done.... 7 dwarfs is a incredibly themed (albeit short) ride made in a land really designed for little kids
my biggest issue with Disney right now is the length it takes to build stuff but they re still producing high quality stuff
I'm selfish. As a local, I use only WDW as a barometer for Disney Parks' quality. Even when I do open up my eyes to things outside our little realm, like Mystic Manor, I just get upset that we don't get those wonderful toys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom