Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

SpectroMan93

Most people I know who have been on it from th UK seem to have ridden it more than once some even 4 or 5 times in one day and most of that time there was less than 10 minutes wait..
And I have no doubt that there are people who do. But I would assume the overwhelming majority of park goers aren't riding it 4-5 times, probably no more than 2 (one in each direction). Though, I will admit, 1 million riders speaks more to the capacity of the ride than park attendance.

PeterAlt

I've concluded that Disney just doesn't care like they used to care in days past. This doesn't mean that Disney will forever not care. Management teams come and go. Future management may decide to own up and make it a mission to inject a fresh layer of pixie dust throughout the four corners of WDW. This may happen after Iger's retirement in 2016. I would love to see another Eisner-era-like growth spurt, but we'll just have to wait a few more years (if it happens). My bet is that it will.

raymusiccity

So that assumes the ride runs at its full capacity mark of 2400 riders every hour, for an average of 13 hours a day and 7 days a week since its opening day.

So it never once had operational issues during its first month??

The numbers were gathered by the same accounting firm that monitors voting in Chicago:

I think they're listed in YP.com as 'Dewey, Cheatem & Howe'. :)

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
I've concluded that Disney just doesn't care like they used to care in days past. This doesn't mean that Disney will forever not care. Management teams come and go. Future management may decide to own up and make it a mission to inject a fresh layer of pixie dust throughout the four corners of WDW. This may happen after Iger's retirement in 2016. I would love to see another Eisner-era-like growth spurt, but we'll just have to wait a few more years (if it happens). My bet is that it will.

You are in the process of seeing it.
1. New Fantasyland
2. Avatar Land
3. New Downtown Disney
4. Star Wars Land

There will be quite a bit new in 2019. It just takes time to make it.
I agree, it was inexcusable to go so long without major updates to the park. The last major update (before NFL) was Expedition Everest? That was back in 2006. In 2008 they had Midway Mania opened.
I also agree Star Wars should be in the process of construction now. Waiting a year just to see pictures of what it will look like and then more waiting for Disney to Start building? Come on...just start building it!

It took 2 years 8 months from announcement in Dec. 6 2011 to the July 2014 opening of Potter second phase.
So if Disney would announce today...they would finish in March of 2017 for Star Wars. Assuming it is the scale of Potter Phase two.
Is it bigger? Is it smaller? Have no idea.
Disney does take its sweet time building now. Disney does care, they are in a new building phase....its just feels like a really slow building phase.

PeterAlt

You are in the process of seeing it.
1. New Fantasyland
2. Avatar Land
3. New Downtown Disney
4. Star Wars Land

There will be quite a bit new in 2019. It just takes time to make it.
I agree, it was inexcusable to go so long without major updates to the park. The last major update (before NFL) was Expedition Everest? That was back in 2006. In 2008 they had Midway Mania opened.
I also agree Star Wars should be in the process of construction now. Waiting a year just to see pictures of what it will look like and then more waiting for Disney to Start building? Come on...just start building it!

It took 2 years 8 months from announcement in Dec. 6 2011 to the July 2014 opening of Potter second phase.
So if Disney would announce today...they would finish in March of 2017 for Star Wars. Assuming it is the scale of Potter Phase two.
Is it bigger? Is it smaller? Have no idea.
Disney does take its sweet time building now. Disney does care, they are in a new building phase....its just feels like a really slow building phase.
First of all, EE was Eisner's last hurrah. Second, Star Wars has not been announced and I doubt it has even been green-lit as of now. This could be Iger's last hurrah (announcing I before leaving). There was a sudden short growth spur under Iger when SDL, DCA 2.0, FLE, Art of Animation Resort, Disney Springs, Pixar Place at DHS, HKDL expansion, and Rat for DLP were all approved (Avatar was a separate deal). Since then the flood gates tightened, with all the focus on DAK and Avatar.

It's like the motivation behind Avatar and the DAK focus is making that park a full-day park. Translation: a way to milk more money from it. In the meanwhile, all the other parks will suffer from this lack of attention on them. They may do overlays and software changes at current EC pavilions just to keep the milk flowing at EC. New Fantasland will be hyped with nothing new all the way to the day Iger leaves.

Mark my words. I sayeth and unfortunately it be so.

CinematicFusion

Original Poster

1.Star Wars has not been announced and I doubt it has even been green-lit as of now. This could be Iger's last hurrah (announcing I before leaving).

It will be in Florida sometime between 2019-2020. Bank on it. It is green lit. It is happening. Maybe not as fast as we would like...but it is happening.

2.It's like the motivation behind Avatar and the DAK focus is making that park a full-day park. Translation: a way to milk more money from it.

If I was CEO, I would be doing the same thing. Create a solid attraction that fits with the themes of Animal Kingdom and try to make it a full day park. I think putting Pandora in Animal Kingdom is a great idea. With Pandora and the new night time show, they have created an after dark park.

3.In the meanwhile, all the other parks will suffer from this lack of attention on them.

Like it or not...New Fantasyland was the Attention Magic Kingdom received. Can't say it hasn't received some love.
Animal Kingdom is getting Avatar
DHS is getting Star Wars. Sounds like you aren't so sure....but it is coming and will be there.
Downtown Disney is getting reworked.

That leaves Epcot with no love. So I agree with you there. Epcot hasn't had a major update since 05?
Going on 9 years..unreal. Very very unacceptable.
So, Disney is changing WDW with some nice ideas and concepts. Not as fast as we like but they are happening.
If you wish Disney built out as fast as Universal...I'll agree with you. But, maybe we should thank Universal for waking Disney up some.
Universal announces in 2007 Potter is coming to Florida.
Since then:

Disney announced New Fantasyland in 2009
Disney announced Avatar Pandora in 2011
Disney announced Downtown Disney Expansion in 2013
Disney will announce Star Wars in 2015

Every two years since 2009 Disney has announced something major, very quietly Disney is stepping up their game.

4. Mark my words. I sayeth and unfortunately it be so.

I say WDW will be an awesome place to visit in 2020.

PeterAlt

1.Star Wars has not been announced and I doubt it has even been green-lit as of now. This could be Iger's last hurrah (announcing I before leaving).

It will be in Florida sometime between 2019-2020. Bank on it. It is green lit. It is happening. Maybe not as fast as we would like...but it is happening.

2.It's like the motivation behind Avatar and the DAK focus is making that park a full-day park. Translation: a way to milk more money from it.

If I was CEO, I would be doing the same thing. Create a solid attraction that fits with the themes of Animal Kingdom and try to make it a full day park. I think putting Pandora in Animal Kingdom is a great idea. With Pandora and the new night time show, they have created an after dark park.

3.In the meanwhile, all the other parks will suffer from this lack of attention on them.

Like it or not...New Fantasyland was the Attention Magic Kingdom received. Can't say it hasn't received some love.
Animal Kingdom is getting Avatar
DHS is getting Star Wars. Sounds like you aren't so sure....but it is coming and will be there.
Downtown Disney is getting reworked.

That leaves Epcot with no love. So I agree with you there. Epcot hasn't had a major update since 05?
Going on 9 years..unreal. Very very unacceptable.
So, Disney is changing WDW with some nice ideas and concepts. Not as fast as we like but they are happening.
If you wish Disney built out as fast as Universal...I'll agree with you. But, maybe we should thank Universal for waking Disney up some.
Universal announces in 2007 Potter is coming to Florida.
Since then:

Disney announced New Fantasyland in 2009
Disney announced Avatar Pandora in 2011
Disney announced Downtown Disney Expansion in 2013
Disney will announce Star Wars in 2015

Every two years since 2009 Disney has announced something major, very quietly Disney is stepping up their game.

4. Mark my words. I sayeth and unfortunately it be so.

I say WDW will be an awesome place to visit in 2020.
No, SW has not been green lit yet. Last I heard was that it may be coming to Tomorrowland. What is clear is that Iger does want an increased presence at the parks. As I said, he may make an announcement right before leaving so that the next CEO will be responsible for finding the money to pay for it.

As I said, FLE will be hyped to death all the way into 2016 as if it is still brand new and is the next best thing since sliced bread. That is no excuse to stop giving it anything new. It could use a new mountain of two. Space Mountain still needs to be lifted to DL standards. Almost every ride in the MK needs to be upgraded to DL standards, especially BTMRR.

You don't give one park an expensive fix concentrated on a single area and wipe your hands and say it's finished and never touch it again for another five or so years, while you focus on another park. All parks need various levels of attention at the same time.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

Not always ;)

Don't base statements of fact on what you read on websites. Not for things like this. Whatever it is that you read.
They got everyone all razzed up, including myself over reports that MM+ had dipped into the capital expenses budged for new rides and attractions for both US resorts. I take it that those reports were either not correct or greatly exaggerated.

Disneyhead'71

Since WDW last E Ticket was 2006 and the next is 2017, and since I am 50 years old I predict that Soarin' Over Pandora will be the last new WDW E Ticket that I will be physically able to ride. Because by 2029 I am not sure I'll be able to ride everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom