Disney Plans Gentler Mission: Space

Captain Chaos

Pongo said:
I did not say that having a toned-down centrifuge will affect me. In fact, I know it won't. I'm just disappointed in this decision. I think it's a bad for for reasons I have already stated in numerous threads.

Also, Expedition Everest is a signature ride. Splash Mountain is a signature ride. Tower of Terror is a signature ride. Those are clearly not for everyone.

No ride is for "everyone".

I have never been on EE so I cannot talk about the experience...

Pongo

dxer07002 said:
I have never been on EE so I cannot talk about the experience...

It doesn't matter if you haven't been on it. It's still a signature attraction that is not for everyone.

DINOSAUR is also a signature attraction that is not for everyone.

imagineersrock

TurnipHead said:
Doubtful...
I think there are people out there who will enjoy the attraction even without G-forces, you do not. We really can't argue this point anymore beyond that.

TurnipHead said:
Um, people don't go on attractions for the ride vehicles, they go for the experience, nice try though....
So in your opinion, the M:S ride vehicles add nothing to the experience?

TurnipHead said:
The interactivity of this ride is laughable. Moving the joystick and pressing the buttons has absolutely no bearing on what's going on in the screen. If I wanted to pretend I'm an astronaut I would play Galaxian at my local arcade.
Laughable or not to you, there is an interactive element to this attraction. While we Disney freaks know that regardless of whether or not we push the buttons or use the joystick, the outcome of the ride will be the same... Many average guests do not. Judging by the amount of guests I've watched push buttons and use the joystick, they seem to enjoy the interactive elements of the attraction. If they did not, they would sit with their hands in their laps the entire ride.

TurnipHead said:
Without the physical sensations, who cares? People just are not excited anymore by sitting in a box looking at a television screen. They would probably have more fun watching Apollo 5....
As I said before, there are people that come off incredibly excited by Soarin, and that at its core, it is a row of seats hanging infront of an IMAX screen. In my opinion, M:S definitely has the ability to excite people using G-forces or not---granted, it will be an entirely different target audience without the G-forces, but I see that audience still enjoying the experience of being in what feels like a real spaceship cockpit, playing a part in the success of their own space mission, and flying to Mars.

TurnipHead said:
Once again doubtful. Once riders see what a waste it was to sit in a ride vehicle and do nothing but stare at a screen they won't be reriding. Without the G forces, M:S has absolutely no reridability factor, and that is crucial.

Once again, this is a matter of opinion. What is or isn't re-ridable to you might not be the same as the person next to you. I think people will be able to enjoy themselves, you do not. But you can't make generalized statements like "Without the G forces, M:S has absolutely no reridability factor" because someone might ride this new version of M:S, and it might become their favorite attraction on property.

Captain Chaos

testtrack3 said:
whoa buddy! you miss understood me, im all fine with them changin the ride not a probleum. im telling you from experience this is what is goin'a happen. WDI is going to set it up how ever they want..and then in 2 monhts when they realilze it's not working THEN they will and operatons how it should work. ALSO i don't have a probleum with guests or their complaints... check this out. the singles line is almost usually shorter. it was created becaseu it more efficent for us. we can then fill in all the seats. so if the wati is and hout and signles is 20 minutes everyone will flood the singles line, if if the greeter tell tehm they will be seperated in one ear and out the other so when they get to where we load them up and we ask for one and they say no were together and then there like no were 2. it get rather bother some. do yuo work at disney? no...well then you think you know but you have no idea what goes on.

Actually, I have seen that happen before where 2 or three 3 friends get on the single rider line then, when they get separated, they complain.. But, there have been times when the CMs working those attractions refused to let them sit together... And this is the same response that should always happen when people do that.... But, I cannot pretend to know what WILL happen with these lines, since, well, as you said, this change hasn't happened yet... I am sure things will be difficult for you CMs at first, but, in time, things will settle down.. I apologize for coming down a tad bit harsh... I know your job dealing with the public isn't easy... I too deal with the public... I can sympathize... Again, apologies for my previous post to you.. :)

Captain Chaos

Pongo said:
It doesn't matter if you haven't been on it. It's still a signature attraction that is not for everyone.

DINOSAUR is also a signature attraction that is not for everyone.

I know.. I'm just saying, i cannot comment on the experience of a ride without being on it... I can comment on my experience with MS cause I was on it... but, with EE, I cannot... just like we cannot comment on this new lite version.. Maybe it will be a knock out experience.. we won't know until it changes and opens up.. but I see what u r saying...

Pongo

imagineersrock said:
As I said before, there are people that come off incredibly excited by Soarin, and that at its core, it is a row of seats hanging infront of an IMAX screen. In my opinion, M:S definitely has the ability to excite people using G-forces or not---granted, it will be an entirely different target audience without the G-forces, but I see that audience still enjoying the experience of being in what feels like a real spaceship cockpit, playing a part in the success of their own space mission, and flying to Mars.

However, with Soarin' it actually feels like you're hangliding with the all emcompassing screen, the height, the smells, and the air.

With M:S, the only way to make it feel really real is with the intensity.

Captain Chaos

Turniphead "Once again doubtful. Once riders see what a waste it was to sit in a ride vehicle and do nothing but stare at a screen they won't be reriding. Without the G forces, M:S has absolutely no reridability factor, and that is crucial."

it is those g-forces that give this ride no reridability to a lot of people... With no g-forces, now the ride becomes reridable to these people...

Captain Chaos

Pongo said:
However, with Soarin' it actually feels like you're hangliding with the all emcompassing screen, the height, the smells, and the air.

or with doing things with the capsules that we do not know of they are adding or not...

LSUxStitch

dxer07002 said:
Turniphead "Once again doubtful. Once riders see what a waste it was to sit in a ride vehicle and do nothing but stare at a screen they won't be reriding. Without the G forces, M:S has absolutely no reridability factor, and that is crucial."

it is those g-forces that give this ride no reridability to a lot of people... With no g-forces, now the ride becomes reridable to these people...

I dunno, while working there for the opening and for the weeks after the opening, all I heard when people got off of the ride was, "whoa the takeoff felt awsome." or "My face felt smushed." and not .... "Did you see how cool those graphics are from the video? or "The mountains looked so real."

So with that being said, I think the G-forces will bring people back to the ride more than just a video. That is like saying, people would love to go back to Philharmagic without the 3-D and the sounds, and that would never happen.

Speedbird

I can see another Alien Encounter coming. Just wait,

"Coming soon to Walt Disney World, Mission : Stitch. Join Stitch and his friends as they go on the happiest adventure in space. Great for the little ones and those who can't deal with real life because the ride doesn't move, ever, not even a little bit"

You can see it can't you. If Disney starts making the shop bigger, we know it's coming....

imagineersrock

Pongo said:

Have you been on M:S without any G-forces before?

I have not, so therefore I can't say that the G's are the "only" factor in making the experience feel real.

I do feel however, that the detailed interior of the Pods add just as much to the experience of M:S as Soarin's "all-encompassing screen," the fact that the pods move as much as they do, (ie. practically laying you flat on your back for liftoff) the vibrations you feel in your seat and joystick throughout the ride, and the interactive elements all contribute to the realism of Mission: Space.

The G-forces do without a doubt add a lot, but they are not the sole component of the ride's realism--just like the smells, air, or height mean little to Soarin' on their own. It is the combination of many effects that creates a successful and entertaining experience.

kcnole

It's the fact that it's (a) wasting space, (b) a bad idea, (c) WDI can and has come up with much better ideas, (d) M:S is not a ride that was meant to cater to everyone, (e) etc.

A: How is it wasting space? How often are all four centrifuges being used at one time? Hardly ever. So it's actually reclaiming space that has been wasted for a good amount of time. If they built a new area for this or the ride was already at capacity and it was cutting the ride in half you could say it's wasting space, but in fact what they are doing is a better utilization of space.

B: Why? Because you say it is? To those of us who can't experience anything of the 100 million dollar attraction it sounds like a great idea.

C: Yes, WDI could come up with better ideas than this but I doubt they have the money to. In an ideal world they could build right next to it a completely different version that feels like flying but without the G's. Unfortunately we live in a real world and there are tons of other areas of Epcot that are crying for the money here. Between UoE, WoL, Imagination, and the work already being done at TLS and over in the World Showcase I highly doubt they have the money to build a new space pavilion. Let's live in the real world a little bit.

D: No, maybe it wasn't built to cater to everyone. However, when this ride gets more complaints than any other ride in the park, is making a ton of guests sick, two have died (although it wasn't the ride's fault), and it's already operating well under capacity, then Disney has to do something. They need to bring the utilization of this ride up a great deal (this will help with that), cut down on the complaints (now they can apologize for a bad experience but point to the tamer ride for next time), and cover their butts from a legal perspective.

Again, in my opinion everyone of your arguments failed. You can make the slippery slope argument about building an everest without drops or a splash mountain without splash but there's no way for them to do that in a cost effective way that won't effect the other riders who love it how it is. Here's one where they can and there's a high demand from it from their guests so why not?

Pongo

kcnole said:
A: How is it wasting space? How often are all four centrifuges being used at one time? Hardly ever. So it's actually reclaiming space that has been wasted for a good amount of time. If they built a new area for this or the ride was already at capacity and it was cutting the ride in half you could say it's wasting space, but in fact what they are doing is a better utilization of space.

Disney spent millions of dollars on that centrifuge. It wasn't meant to sit there. It was meant to be used. They are wasting it.

kcnole said:
B: Why? Because you say it is? To those of us who can't experience anything of the 100 million dollar attraction it sounds like a great idea.

As I said at the bottom of that post, it is my opinion that it is a bad idea.

kcnole said:
C: Yes, WDI could come up with better ideas than this but I doubt they have the money to. In an ideal world they could build right next to it a completely different version that feels like flying but without the G's. Unfortunately we live in a real world and there are tons of other areas of Epcot that are crying for the money here. Between UoE, WoL, Imagination, and the work already being done at TLS and over in the World Showcase I highly doubt they have the money to build a new space pavilion. Let's live in the real world a little bit.

As I've stated before, this works as a temporary fix until Disney can get the money to make the pavilion better for everyone. WoL really doesn't need money poured into it as Epcot is functioning perfectly well without it. IMAG is also doing well and was just "fixed" a few years ago from a version that people hated even more. But this is a discussion about M:S, so I will keep it that way.

kcnole said:
D: No, maybe it wasn't built to cater to everyone. However, when this ride gets more complaints than any other ride in the park, is making a ton of guests sick, two have died (although it wasn't the ride's fault), and it's already operating well under capacity, then Disney has to do something. They need to bring the utilization of this ride up a great deal (this will help with that), cut down on the complaints (now they can apologize for a bad experience but point to the tamer ride for next time), and cover their butts from a legal perspective.

I agree with you on most points, but I still believe there are other ways to do the same thing without wasting the money that they spent on the centrifuge. What are those ways? I have no idea. That's WDI's job.

kcnole said:
Again, in my opinion everyone of your arguments failed. You can make the slippery slope argument about building an everest without drops or a splash mountain without splash but there's no way for them to do that in a cost effective way that won't effect the other riders who love it how it is. Here's one where they can and there's a high demand from it from their guests so why not?

In my opinion, I think this version of the ride will fail miserably. I can't possibly know what they have in store for it, but judging on them just taking away the spinning, it's not going to be abything spectacular - which is what the average guest expects. When they realize it isn't spectacular, demand, again, will drop. I can accept this as a temporary solution, but I don't see it as feasable in the long run.

My opinion, of course.

jmicro59

dxer07002 said:
The M:S lovers/supports are complaining now because more people can enjoy their beloived attraction, making them wait an extra 5 minutes, instead of walking right on... They may now have to wait...

Not true, we're complaining due to the fact that once again, in America the lowest common denominator wins out. Many, many riders (don't have actual numbers at the ready) ride M:S without issue and the ride is toned down to fit the needs of the individuals who know they'll get sick on the ride or have some sort of condition that, if they had any common sense at all should prevent them from ever getting on the ride. So get your facts straight dxer07002.

kcnole

Disney spent millions of dollars on that centrifuge. It wasn't meant to sit there. It was meant to be used. They are wasting it.

But that's the problem. The majority of the time it is just sitting there not being used at all as the demand isn't high enough to run all 4 at one time. That's my point. IF the demand were there requiring them to run all 4 at one time I'd agree that it's a bad idea, but they're not, so why is it wasteful to take the one that isn't being used and make it useful. That is the variable that makes this argument work or fail.

Not true, we're complaining due to the fact that once again, in America the lowest common denominator wins out. Many, many riders (don't have actual numbers at the ready) ride M:S without issue and the ride is toned down to fit the needs of the individuals who know they'll get sick on the ride or have some sort of condition that, if they had any common sense at all should prevent them from ever getting on the ride. So get your facts straight dxer07002.

No that's not true. The lowest common denominator doesn't win out. If they won out then the whole ride would go away. I could see you all getting up in arms about that. I'd be right there with you even though I don't ride the ride. However you're not losing out. You still get your ride and now some others get another version. It doesn't effect you at all. The wait time may be a little longer, but how often is MS actually a long wait anyhow, and how often are they truly running all four centrifuges at one time.

If I'm wrong on both of those counts then I may rethink my argument. So far I've made that argument over and over and no one has refuted it yet.

kcnole

In my opinion, I think this version of the ride will fail miserably. I can't possibly know what they have in store for it, but judging on them just taking away the spinning, it's not going to be abything spectacular - which is what the average guest expects. When they realize it isn't spectacular, demand, again, will drop. I can accept this as a temporary solution, but I don't see it as feasable in the long run.

It may very well fail. But if it does they can just turn it back on to it's normal state. In that case it may very well be temporary. We'll just have to see how the numbers pan out. They may add some spectacular effects to it or it may be lame, but let's see what they do first before we judge its success or failure.

jmvd20

I still can't beleive this. :cry: M:S is too intense :cry: M:S needs to be torn down :cry: I can't believe they are going to stop bay 4 (which is never used) from spinning :cry:

1.) NO ONE has rode the new version so how can anyone say that it is a bad ride without any thrills?

2.) All 4 centrifuges are not needed and bay 4 already sits there wasting away not entertaining anyone. How is that not a waste of millions of dollars?

3.) WDW has said that it is a programming change and they can switch it back and forth based upon demand. How is that going to make lines unbearably long?

4.) How can this possibly be a bad idea when WDW is trying to make the attraction appeal to greater numbers of guests?

5.) How does this hurt the people that like riding the intense version? The ride is not changing.

6.) How is switching the programming wasting millions of dollars? As stated by WDW the centrifuge will not be changed and it can be switched back to spinning mode.

7.) Unless someone here is an engineer or designer on the ride I say that NO ONE here knows the full motions the vehicles are capable of. Based upon this how can anyone say the ride will only move a little bit?

Captain Chaos

jmicro59 said:

Excuse me?? Get MY facts straight?? OK buddy here are the facts.. 2 deaths, 200 or more complaints of illenss, God knows how many other people may have developed problems after riding M:S and never reported it... ride open 2 years... more deaths and complaints in 2 years than other rides in 30 years... Wait times not exceeding 10 - 20 minutes while Soarin ands Test Track get 100 plus... Splash Mountain gets 100 plus on more days than not... So, get my facts straight?? They are straight... Maybe you should also look at the fact that HP has poured millions into the ride, and with bad publicity, HP could be the ones demanding the change.... If this is the case, and Disney refused, how fast would HP end sponsorship and end the millions going into the ride?? Then you get WoL or worse Stitch''s Great Escape to Mars... So, accept that the thrill seekers still get 3 bays and the people who cannot ride M:S gets 1... And also accept that Disney is not catering to the "America's lowest demoninator" they are making a business decision to get people into M:S who otherwise would never ride this ride.... providing this wasn't HP's doing....

Captain Chaos

Pongo said:
The capsules will be used... They are also losing millions of dollars by not attracting the number of people they thought they would...

As I said at the bottom of that post, it is my opinion that it is a bad idea.
And I respent your opinion.... I however think it is good idea.

As I've stated before, this works as a temporary fix until Disney can get the money to make the pavilion better for everyone. WoL really doesn't need money poured into it as Epcot is functioning perfectly well without it. IMAG is also doing well and was just "fixed" a few years ago from a version that people hated even more. But this is a discussion about M:S, so I will keep it that way.
This may be a temporary fix until they can fix the ride so all to enjoy.. However, this may be a permenant fixture too... That way EVERYONE would be happy.. Again, thrill seekrs get their thrills, and the non thill seekers can enjoy a 100 million dollar plus attraction...

I agree with you on most points, but I still believe there are other ways to do the same thing without wasting the money that they spent on the centrifuge. What are those ways? I have no idea. That's WDI's job.
Yes WDI's job... Not ours... So, WDI came up with this idea of using one bay for a no g-force ride.. No problem with that....

You opinion that it may not be anything feasible.. And it may not be... But, as you did say, we don't know what WDI has in store for it.. I really don't think WDI will ruin a 100 million dollar plus attraction by just dumbing down the ride and not giving the lite version anything at all...

I have faith in WDI and time will tell what will come of this..

Captain Chaos

kcnole said:
No that's not true. The lowest common denominator doesn't win out. If they won out then the whole ride would go away. I could see you all getting up in arms about that. I'd be right there with you even though I don't ride the ride. However you're not losing out. You still get your ride and now some others get another version. It doesn't effect you at all. The wait time may be a little longer, but how often is MS actually a long wait anyhow, and how often are they truly running all four centrifuges at one time.

If I'm wrong on both of those counts then I may rethink my argument. So far I've made that argument over and over and no one has refuted it yet.

KC, I just think, no matter whay, the M:S lovers/supports will always feel like their beloved ride is getting scrutinized unfairly.. Maybe it is.. I don't know.. All I know is this decision may turn out to actually IMPROVE M:S and make it what Disney thought it would be and that is an attraction people actually want to go on and not skip for one reason or another...

I personally don't care to go on it cause I thought it was just bad and a waste of 100 million.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom