Disney Plans Gentler Mission: Space

dxwwf3

WDWFREAK53 said:
If people go into this "lite" version and come out thinking that it was lame...that's the impression a guest is taking away from an Imagineer's work.

That was my point a few posts back. I agree with you here.

I'm not really totally against these changes at all, but I think there are negative aspects to them.

bayoutinkbelle

Speedbird said:
I totally agree. What's next? 'Big Thunder Mountain For Poor Sensitive Darlings', where you sit in the train and it stays in the station for three minutes so the more sensitive can 'experience' the ride. They've spent too much money to close it. As usual, pandering to the vocal minority. My sick medics sense of humour thinks the advertising slogan 'The ride so good it, it kills people' would bring in the adrenaline junkies (I'm going to hell for that one, aren't I?):hammer:

I would think that, as a medic, you would be more understanding of those who can't handle the physical demands of a ride like M:S or any other theme park ride for whatever reason they have.

bayoutinkbelle

WDWFREAK53 said:
I can completely see where Lee is coming from here.

He is looking at it from a Imagineer's standpoint. If I'm an Imagineer and I design this really unique experience...that's the intended way the attraction is to be seen. If people go into this "lite" version and come out thinking that it was lame...that's the impression a guest is taking away from an Imagineer's work.

And I think that would be a valid argument if the entire ride was being changed. I understand what he and others are saying, but I just don't agree with it. :)

Speedbird

As a medic, I understand how stupid the human being is. When people who aren't equiped start thinking, bad things happen.

We are dealing with people who would take a 5 year old (was 5 wasn't it?) on M:S, despite all the warnings, because 'They thought' it was OK and the warnings were hype. People always know better.

And as for people who can't physically handle M:S, would you put one behind the wheel of a Nascar or on Superman: The Escape or similar. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Here endth the lesson.

WDWFREAK53

bayoutinkbelle said:
And I think that would be a valid argument if the entire ride was being changed. I understand what he and others are saying, but I just don't agree with it. :)

Like Lee said, it would be the same thing if they closed one of the drop shafts and just showed you the effects. Still cool...but not what the Imagineers intended.

WDWFREAK53

Speedbird said:
As a medic, I understand how stupid the human being is. When people who aren't equiped start thinking, bad things happen.

We are dealing with people who would take a 5 year old (was 5 wasn't it?) on M:S, despite all the warnings, because 'They thought' it was OK and the warnings were hype. People always know better.

4 Years old.

imagineer99

dxer07002 said:
It will be the same attraction.. They are leaving 3 sections alone, only changing 1... Therefore, the people who love M:S and the intense version can still have it... That isn't changing... So, how is it different?? Those who enjoy the thrill can still have the thrill.. Those who cannot tolerate the thrill portion can still enjoy M:S..

I understand that M:S will still be operating as it used to.

However, by offering a tamed down version, its stripping the ride of its central motivation (authentic g-forces). The imagineers never intended for the experience to run like this. It's like a director making a movie, and the studio completely changing the ending. It feels wrong. My biggest concern is the average guest who rides the tamed down version and invariable thinks, "That was lame..." Unless the ride capsules are SERIOUSLY changed to add more interesting movements, riding Mission:Space without the centrifuge will be about as exciting as watching a bad CG movie on a hammock. Then of course, there's the issue of the rider who goes on "normal" M:S. He's expecting to go through some mind boggling puke-fest only to realize, "That's it?"

I guess I just don't see M:S as being "intense." In fact, its fun, but by no means scary or nerve-racking. Considering there are "gravitrons" at county fairs and amusement parks across the country, I just don't get how M:S can really considered to be that scary.

shoppingnut

So wouldn't you consider having one chamber changed to a lite version the lesser of the evils that could possibly befall the ride. Just consider the fact that disney is doing this because they "self regulate" their theme parks and I'm sure they don't want to jeopardize that luxury, so they are doing a responsible smart thing while still keeping the original ride for those who enjoy it. The lines for M:S are no where near what TT and Soarin are and think that disney expected M:S to be a powerhouse like TT to help spread people out throughout the park, but that has not come to pass.

bayoutinkbelle

Speedbird said:

And as for people who can't physically handle M:S, would you put one behind the wheel of a Nascar or on Superman: The Escape or similar. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Here endth the lesson.

I guess I've been schooled. Oh my. :rolleyes:

I don't deny that people do stupid things. And I'm not putting anyone in any situation. I make decisions for me and my child. Everyone else is on their own.

Captain Chaos

EpcotServo said:
jeesh...I was kidding. Take it easy...Have you no sense of humor?

I know you were just joking... so was I.. because we all know how silly it would be for disney to A0 make a sign calling their guests wimps and B make a sign saying COME HERE TO DIE LoL..

Captain Chaos

dxwwf3 said:
You mean the moderately intense ride right? :lol:

I still wish they would make one bay no G force, 2 bays with the current ride, and one bay with an intense version. Not gonna happen, but it would be nice.

Not to scare ya, but..... I hear the current version is also going to be dumbed down... lowering the g's from 2 to near 1 or lower... So, i dont even know if moderate would fit lol... And of course, this comes from other sites, not from a CM's uncle who knows the cab driver who rives my neighbor's hair stylist's cousin's best friend's babysitter.. So, take it for what it is worth.

hokielutz

dxer07002 said:
Not to scare ya, but..... I hear the current version is also going to be dumbed down... lowering the g's from 2 to near 1 or lower... So, i dont even know if moderate would fit lol...

I hope you are joking about what you said... if not, what is your source for this information??

OK... just got your edit... asked and answered

imagineersrock

On paper, I think this sounds like a fantastic idea. Not only do I get to keep my beloved "intense" version, but there will now be an option to experience a no G-force version, essentially opening this ride up to a MUCH larger audience---The Soarin' audience, if you will.

On the other hand, I think this will just be a logistical nightmare. If people couldn't figure out whether they were fit enough to ride or not when there was only one version, how on Earth are they going to be able to differentiate between the two. While I'm sure Disney will have plenty of very clear signage, warnings, videos, etc. I only see this new option leading to many, many confused guests and an equally large amount of frustrated CM's having to spend their entire day explaining what this line leads to and what that line leads to and what the difference between the two is.

From warning signage, to height requirements, to park map descriptions, there is just a lot to think about, and I'm curious as to how exactly Disney plans on actually making all of this work. I'm very interested in seeing how it all comes together this summer.

MAF

I love how people are saying now more people can "enjoy" M:S. The new version is NOT going to be M:S, get a clue! The whole point of the attraction was to give you the sensation of the G's, but now you will be sitting in a capsule looking at a screen. Sure this may boost attendence for a short while, but after a while it will just go back to minus zero attendence once again....

Lee

Adventurer
dxer07002 said:
Not to scare ya, but..... I hear the current version is also going to be dumbed down... lowering the g's from 2 to near 1 or lower... So, i dont even know if moderate would fit lol... And of course, this comes from other sites, not from a CM's uncle who knows the cab driver who rives my neighbor's hair stylist's cousin's best friend's babysitter.. So, take it for what it is worth.
I hear differently.
Lowering the Gs would make the ride even more nauseating. Sure, that 1 in 6 million guest may not have a loose blood vessel pop, but a much larger number would be...um..."redecorating" the interior of the pods...and the gift shop...and the plaza...:hurl:

imagineersrock

TurnipHead said:
I love how people are saying now more people can "enjoy" M:S. The new version is NOT going to be M:S, get a clue! The whole point of the attraction was to give you the sensation of the G's, but now you will be sitting in a capsule looking at a screen. Sure this may boost attendence for a short while, but after a while it will just go back to minus zero attendence once again....
:rolleyes:

Your definition of this new version of M:S pretty-much describes what Soarin' is. Sit in a chair, and look at a screen. Look at the wait times over at Soarin'. "Sitting in a chair and looking at a screen" seems to work just fine for them.

Soarin' is one of the highest rated Disney attractions ever, you know... Something tells me a whole new audience will enjoy this new tame version, while the old-school fans like myself will continue to enjoy the origional G-force version.

Captain Chaos

Lee said:
I hear differently.
Lowering the Gs would make the ride even more nauseating. Sure, that 1 in 6 million guest may not have a loose blood vessel pop, but a much larger number would be...um..."redecorating" the interior of the pods...and the gift shop...and the plaza...:hurl:

I figured that... Just thought I would post it here to see if I could get some real clarification... Thanks Lee...

People are already redecorating the interior of the pods, gift shop, plaza, etc.. So, what would change?? :lol:

MAF

imagineersrock said:
:rolleyes:

Your definition of this new version of M:S pretty-much describes what Soarin' is. Sit in a chair, and look at a screen. Look at the wait times over at Soarin'. "Sitting in a chair and looking at a screen" seems to work just fine for them..
Haha Wow, comparing Sorin' to M:S would be like comparing apples to banannas.... The whole concept of M:S is the experience of feeling the G's, without that it is nothing....

Timmay

The more I think about this, the more I see I am of two minds about the entire deal.

1. If it is Disney's goal to get more people interested in riding M:S, then great. I see no problem with that by itself...however...

2. I just hate the attitude of having to make everone feel "included". Some rides are not meant to be enjoyed by everyone, period. How many people don't go on ToT, RnR etc, etc? Not because they don't like the rides, but because they know they can't handle or stomach them. There are rides I know I can't handle...and I don't plan on riding them, and I don't think I would be any more inclined to try out a "tamed down version" either. What would be the point. It is not the original design or intent of the attraction. I almost see this as changing a work of art (stay with me here...I do see these Imagineers as artist of a sort). Why change a painting just becuase some can't enjoy it as others do?

Like I said, I am split about this now...I have no doubt Disney will not just throw soemthing together for the sake of it, I am sure they will put some effort and original thought into it...or maybe not. We will just have to wait and see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom