News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Animaniac93-98

The other question I have for our insiders at the moment is whether or not this Mickey Mouse dark ride is the previously "rumoured 3rd IP", or does/would this project come in addition to that?

Animaniac93-98

From everything I've read about it, TSPL sounds like it's shaping up to be a Pixar-ish version of Chester and Hester.

In essence, that's what it is. The key difference between the two is that Playland isn't designed to look cracked and worn. Both are attempts by Disney to put their spin on midway style attractions, and the same is true for Bug's Land, Paradise Pier and some of the rides in Fantasyland and Cars Land. The best examples of those have always been the ones that were the most visually appealing (like Dumbo), and were complementary to larger scale, more substantial attractions in the same area. Creating an entire land around them has always been problematic because individually they don't add up to much. Bug's Land is at least small, and Paradise Pier has a lot of them, but neither represents the best of what Disney is capable of. I think the Slinky Coaster will be fun, but chosing to go with it and one other spinner ride when you're committing yourself to starting from a clean slate of land with a large budget seems like taking a shortcut (at least in my butt hurt opinion ;)).

brb1006

just saying "It all started with a mouse" doesn't automatically mean it is going to be an amazing attraction...remember it is being designed by the same people that brought you the cliff notes Mermaid attraction...not Walt Disney or the imagineering team that did the epic dark rides of the past...While I too am hopeful, in honesty I am not expecting it to be very good...iot will be a din=minished budget conscious attraction that is 1/4th the length of what it is replacing....Sad.
OLC would have done a great Mickey ride.

ToTBellHop

It's totally and bitterly disappointing. GMR is like 22 minutes long -- that is the length of at least 3, if not 4 decent rides. If the new Mickey ride is only 6 minutes, GMR will be replaced with barely 1/3 of what was there.

And, this is totally different from Frozen because the Frozen ride actually added more track and features which made the ride longer. Plus, Disney expanded the entire Norway pavilion.

Frozen Ever After = a net gain
The New & Improved Mickey Ride = a quadruple loss
Don't worry. The average wait time for the new ride will be at least 16 minutes longer than GMR's to take up the appropriate amount of time.

jt04

The "it all started with a mouse" tag line should be to the GMR reimagining what "a long time ago in a galaxy....." is to Star Wars.

The potential for a great dark ride is nothing short of spectacular. IMO.

MerlinTheGoat

Given its already had cuts and will be smaller than originally envisaged (and has space for) it certainly isn't sacrosanct.

It does indeed deserve to be the best. It deserves its own building.

And certainly as an addition, not a replacement.
Cuts already? Did the cuts happen before the ride was announced on this forum, or is this relatively new information? I guess I have to ask- are we still looking at a fantastic new E ticket, or another decent but flawed/unfinished D?

I have some comments on the matter, lengthy ones. So feel free to TL,DR.

I grew up expecting all Disney rides to have a supreme degree of quality unseen elsewhere, we've sadly come to expect a lot of incompetence during the past 10-20 years from WDW. But in this instance, i'm not going to drop my expectations even if I realistically doubt they will be met. The gold standard of Disney rides include POTC (original), Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth (Cronkite or Irons) and Imagination 1.0 to name a couple. Lengthy, richly detailed rides full of brilliance and charm. This Mickey ride deserves that level of quality perhaps even more than any other. If it doesn't live up to those gold standards, I would deem it a failure (and a true admission that the company outwardly disrespects and holds in contempt everyone and everything that made the company successful in the first place). The ride is a tribute to Walt Disney and his team at their creative best, it deserves the gold standard of quality. Another poor (Mermaid) or even decent but sinfully short/unfinished (Mine Train and Frozen) experience isn't acceptable. Aim for the stars.

Sadly it sounds like they're already trying to sabotage this project. I'm guessing it'll end up a 5-7 minute ride. Assuming no more budget cuts. While not the shortest, this deserves so much more. Disney, or at least WDW, seems to have zero interest in producing decent and lengthy rides anymore. This reality has even killed much of my interest in the Avatar boat ride. I cherish the quality and lengthy rides built 20+ years ago, but live in dread of losing them. Heaven forbid Spaceship Earth is on the list of future closures.

So all I can hope is that they go all out on the remaining show scenes. It's the one thing that can at least salvage this ride as a quality standalone experience (disregarding the shortened length, sacrifice of another great ride, etc). And I hope against hope that they don't look to the Toy Story Mania or Ratatouille rides for inspiration on how to execute the show scenes. I want physical sets and animatronics. If wall-to-wall video screens is the best they can come up with, i'll just stay at home and watch the classic Mickey shorts instead (I can project video onto my wall too).

I'm keeping my standards high in this case and I personally recommend everyone else do the same. If Disney is unwilling to meet or surpass their highest level of quality with this ride, then they don't deserve any praise. It's not an unreachable expectation, they did it for decades with infinitely less money to spare. Allocate the necessary cash and get the cream of the crop of imagineers (what's left of them) on board until it's at that standard.

MerlinTheGoat

Has there ever been a ride project anywhere, from any company, that didn't have "cuts" at some time?
I don't really know, there's probably always SOME degree of budget cut involved. The variables however are-
1- To what degree are the cuts?
2- What scale and quality was the attraction in BEFORE it was cut (was it even a great ride as a blue sky concept)?

We know for instance that the Mine Train was HEAVILY mutilated from its original layout, Lee and Martin have both posted the two previous track layouts showing several extra interior (and exterior) show scenes and quite a longer length overall. Similarly with Dinosaur at AK for another instance, Martin's video is full of information on how impressive the original concept was prior to the cuts. And while not exactly the "same" experience, Tony Baxter's concept of the Little Mermaid ride from the early 90's was infinitely more impressive than what we ended up with. And while I don't know what the full plans for Everest were originally, the interior backwards helix feels lacking (you can see the inside steel of the mountain and could use some rockwork, crystals and other theming). All of these rides feel like they're missing a lot and cut down. Even if you don't know the details of their cuts. Especially when compared to other similar rides. Even the upcoming Slinky Coaster was reported to have been budget cut quite a bit, and you can really tell from the two pieces of concept art released showing a distressing amount of removed scenery objects. Slinky sounds like an attraction that qualifies for both variables- it didn't look that good to begin with BUT it was ALSO cut down to an even greater degree, bleh...

But for other attractions, it's hard to imagine that they were cut down all that much as their final product is at such a high level of quality. Splash Mountain (at least at MK and Tokyo, you can spot cut corners at DL's) is in such a state of high quality that it's hard to imagine they cut much out of it. Perhaps they did, but it doesn't FEEL incomplete. I'd say the same of the (non-WDW) Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion or Imagination 1.0. Except for the descent (which was at least better in the Cronkite version and pretty close to complete in Irons' version), Spaceship Earth feels pretty complete as well. Same with Horizons and World of Motion.

I'd like to know what sort of comparable attractions this Mickey ride is like. And if the budget cuts have diminished that comparison any.

This ride in particular is going to have even greater standards to live up to than normal. It's replacing the park's centerpiece classic, it's Mickey Mouse's debut "official" big ride (and a tribute to his classic Walt era cartoon shorts at that apparently), and it's already being reported to be far shorter than what it replaced. There's a whole lot this ride is going to have to get right, and i'm already very concerned. Again while I hold all Disney rides to a certain standard of quality, this one in particular deserves the utmost respect, quality and care. It needs to hit it out of the park.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
It's totally and bitterly disappointing. GMR is like 22 minutes long -- that is the length of at least 3, if not 4 decent rides. If the new Mickey ride is only 6 minutes, GMR will be replaced with barely 1/3 of what was there.

And, this is totally different from Frozen because the Frozen ride actually added more track and features which made the ride longer. Plus, Disney expanded the entire Norway pavilion.

Frozen Ever After = a net gain
The New & Improved Mickey Ride = a quadruple loss

Six minutes is nothing to scoff at? Haunted Mansion etc are all incredible rides and ride times are not much above it... Sure Hunted mansion gets you with the rooms before but ride time is not huge and they are two of the best rides in my mind...

I don't need a 22 min ride that puts me to sleep...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Has there ever been a ride project anywhere, from any company, that didn't have "cuts" at some time?

In some ways cuts can be a good thing. If the original plan is accepted as is, then that means that they didn't aim high enough to begin with. With that said, I think sometime they cut to far like with the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride, and they also shouldn't make cuts after concept art has been show, like what appears to have happened with TSL.

Bocabear

It's kind of shocking that the big centerpiece attraction for DAK's Pandora is going to be shorter than Pirates of The Caribbean at WDW...the Cliff Notes version. A 5 minute Great Mickey Ride also sounds pretty sad...The first ever ride dedicated the the mouse it all started with should be Epic...honestly it should be the most epic and memorable ride in the whole resort.

Bairstow

It's kind of shocking that the big centerpiece attraction for DAK's Pandora is going to be shorter than Pirates of The Caribbean at WDW...the Cliff Notes version. A 5 minute Great Mickey Ride also sounds pretty sad...The first ever ride dedicated the the mouse it all started with should be Epic...honestly it should be the most epic and memorable ride in the whole resort.

Disney (and Cameron) are treating the Vekoma flying theater thing as the centerpiece of Pandora. The boat ride wasn't even confirmed for a while.

Also, you used the word "epic", but mice are supposed to be rather small. If the ride base for the Mickey thing is kind of speedy, 5 minutes is very respectable. For perspective, the big Ratatouille ride at Paris is less than five minutes. Car Toon Spin lasts only three minutes and a half. Forbidden Eye is even shorter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom