Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

Festivus

Maybe the dragon will swoop down on unsuspecting vacationers, incinerating the parents and clutching up the children, then fly away with the children in its claws to feed its own newborn with. Nahhh....

Rosso11

Nope. Not a single word on here.

There has been talk of this in the fan community for a very long time. Blue sky Disney has articles about this going back as far as 2008 and many more recently with the speculation flying since June whe Lucas announced Kathleen Kennedy was to be co-chair of Lucasfilm. George announced he was retiring and Disney was the obvious choice to take over. This very scenario was discussed on these boards in the past. This wasn't a surprise to anyone who follows the industry. Only the timing was a surprise. You should read up on some of the articles over at Blue Sky Disney. Here's a link to a few of them from the past. http://www.blueskydisney.com/2012/11/many-bothans-dies-to-bring-us-this.html

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Easy to say after the fact. Is there one shred of evidence to back this up? If so ill gladly eat my words.
Honestly?

I didn't believe it.

Not evidence, but perhaps you realise there are things that seem to crazy to think about before the fact.

beachlover4444

I dont know of any ride that this would be themed with in magic kingdom, let alone the new fantasyland which already has every inch covered and I dont see how or why it woul go with the dwarf mine ride thing. I like the Avatar relation. They did say that there would be more Villain themes coming soon so maybe that plays in. Until they can keep all the old rides from breaking down several times a day, and do real maintenance on them like they did big thunder, I hope they dont invest alot of $$ on that at MK. The new dumbo has maint issues almost daily already. Splash and Pirates need major refurb. Jungle was on the slate for major refurb and those boats/attractions need it, the elephants are ghastly. I guess we all just wait and see.

dcibrando

I just hope they don't throw in some kind of flying dragon into the new Fantasyland just because....it doesn't fit ANYTHING in the new Fantasyland whether a dragon is fantasy or not... how does it relate?

I hate to say it, but it seems there are more dumb things happening at disney over the past few years then smart things but we'll see. I'm very interested to see what they do with this and just hope they don't ruin something else in the process.

Timothy_Q

I just hope they don't throw in some kind of flying dragon into the new Fantasyland just because....it doesn't fit ANYTHING in the new Fantasyland whether a dragon is fantasy or not... how does it relate?

It's a fairy-tale forest. I can't think of a better place for a dragon.
Just because it's not from either films represented in the forest, doesn't mean it doesn't fit.

dcibrando

Sure it does. It ruins the carefully planned themeing of the area by throwing in some wild card that makes no sense.

exactly... and the several days I spent in the new fantasyland area I didn't get the sense of a forest at all. In fact I thought the Enchanted Tales with Belle queue is WAY too open and is/will be VERY hot for those waiting in line (very unlike disney). Maybe it will eventually seem more dense in a forest setting after SW is completed.?

Atomicmickey

exactly... and the several days I spent in the new fantasyland area I didn't get the sense of a forest at all. In fact I thought the Enchanted Tales with Belle queue is WAY too open and is/will be VERY hot for those waiting in line (very unlike disney). Maybe it will eventually seem more dense in a forest setting after SW is completed.?

I think/hope/expect that the "Forest" feel will be enhanced by finishing the Mine Train. Also,
over the years, the trees planted will grow. Disneyland's Fantasyland has a very nice "park" feel, with
lots of mature trees, so I think this will happen over time.

IWant2GoNow

3 Possibilities

1. Disney plans to announce their LotR acquisition with a flying Smaug AA that will sky-write the opening date of Middle Earth at DAK.

2. It's part of NextGen. The dragon will swoop down to interact with guests (BY NAME!) by trying to sell DVCs to those without them. It will also sell LE dragon-themed Mickey Ears to lucky NextGen guests & suggest available times to use the Tangled bathrooms.

3. Disney will tell us they are proud to present a random night time spectacular held "X" amount of nights a week in New Fantasyland that will randomly feature flying dragons taking over the area & Tinkerbell, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Iago, Zazu, & Owl will be taking them on in the skies above! With an amazing & much-beloved cameo by Stitch...

It HAS to be one of those...

Skyway

I highly doubt this will be for MK because of the FAA no-fly restrictions over the park.

Those restrictions prohibit any aircraft from flying 3000 feet or lower in a 3 mile radius centered near the MK (the flight restrictions do not cover the entire WDW property, so it could still be for the other 3 parks)

The FAA regulation does allow Disney to apply for a waiver for its own aircraft for "operational" purposes. Not sure a flying dragon would be considered "operational". But even if it was, I imagine Disney flying aircraft in the zone would renew opposition to the restrictions and invite a review of its necessity (Disney lobbied for the flight restrictions after 9/11 under the guise of security, but they also acknowledge it keeps banner planes from flying over the park. Now that Disney has what it wanted, I doubt they'd invite new scrutiny over the questionable restrictions)

Axle1986

I highly doubt this will be for MK because of the FAA no-fly restrictions over the park.

Those restrictions prohibit any aircraft from flying 3000 feet or lower in a 3 mile radius centered near the MK (the flight restrictions do not cover the entire WDW property, so it could still be for the other 3 parks)

The FAA regulation does allow Disney to apply for a waiver for its own aircraft for "operational" purposes. Not sure a flying dragon would be considered "operational". But even if it was, I imagine Disney flying aircraft in the zone would renew opposition to the restrictions and invite a review of its necessity (Disney lobbied for the flight restrictions after 9/11 under the guise of security, but they also acknowledge it keeps banner planes from flying over the park. Now that Disney has what it wanted, I doubt they'd invite new scrutiny over the questionable restrictions)

Skyway, have a read:

Something strange has been going on recently in the Magic Kingdom. More specifically, in the section they’re referring to as ‘New Fantasyland’. And it’s not just my imagination. There are stories going around. Strange sightings. Weird noises. And flames! - http://disneydragons.tumblr.com/

It is MK.

tumblr_mdjffkoNs51rjjpsbo1_500.jpg

Apparently the yeti cheats...and could they please stick to one social media format? Why have a twitter hashtag in the tumbr post?

doctornick

They could easily have a show themed to Sleeping Beauty of which the Dragon was a part. That would fit in perfectly with FL.

You mean, like, "Limited Time Magic" or something?

I like the way you think, maybe there will be "flying dragon week". Yeah, it seems a little lame, and its a lot of money to spend on one week, but sure beats Dapper dans sing boy bands week! :eek:

Unless it is just coming to New Fantasyland for a week, and then moving on to other locales to be used in other shows/attractions/promotions, then I can see the justification in spending the money on its development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom