Disney Doofus

TropicalFig8

I thought the "That's my mother-in-law!" comment on Alien Encounter was someone in the crowd. Even when I went on it again, I though, "oh nice, that dude was on it again with me." Yeah. I'm pretty dumb.

That's what I thought too. :lol:

Is it sad that I still get scared during the "Imagination is a BLAST" part on JIIWF?

goofykt

Oh I forgot to add that the first time I saw Indianan Jones I thought all the people were volunteers. It wasn't until he got hit that I was like he must be a plant.

As a kid my husband had only been to the Magic Kingdom, so when we went to WDW on our first trip as a couple, he totally bought the "plant" as a real volunteer too because he'd never seen the show before...even after the guy got punched! He looked at me all alarmed, and I had to tell him it was fake, lol...too cute

I_heart_Tigger

Ok, I admit at one point I also thought the Jungle Cruise captains actually steered the boat...even though his back was turned to the wheel and he just grabbed and spun it like a roulette wheel. I just thought he had driven it so much he was REALLY good at it.

I also thought that C3PO in the Star Tours queue was a costumed character because I swore he moved differently the couple times I had been on it that week.

My sister and I used to argue all the time whether in the Carousel of Progress the audience moves around the stage or the stage rotates and the audience stays still...I always said the audience moved but she swore the stage was moving

EaglesfanNJ

Wow am I an idiot. Ok, i'm not too proud to admit that until I read through this thread, I totally thought the Ostrich eggs were real.. FAIL!

A small one I thought of for myself.. I didn't realize "that guy" in Indiana Jones wasn't really a volunteer until the very end of the show when they revealed it..... FAIL!

Finally, i don't know if this counts or not... But as a frequenter of All Star Music now, in hindsight this was dumb. My first stay there when we returned back to the resort, they were showing a movie at night outside by the pool. I thought it was so cool i thought to myself "Wow we must be pretty lucky to catch movie night!" "Great timing"

Little did I know they do this every night weather permitting! FAIL!

MarkTwain

I thought the Living Seas Hydrolators were actually taking us down until well after they had closed... yeesh. In fairness, I must have been 12 or 13 when I rode them for the last time.

Hah I thought Artist's Point was Artist's Palette and was waiting for people at Artist's Point but they were at SSR!!! :ROFLOL:

Haha I get those mixed up all the time. :lol: Between Artist's Point, Artist's Palette, and Animator's Palette (DCL), I think Disney's turned to the same page in the big book o' names a few too many times.

bigkbull

For the longest time, I thought the ostrich eggs were real on the Kilimanjaro Safaris! :lol:

I thought that too until... I read this. Wow, I only remember seeing them on my last visit, and thought it was odd that they were just out there in the open. Wow....

Disneydreamer23

Being I hadnt gone to Disney since I was 3 I went when I was 18 for the first time in 15 years my sister (26) and my self when on splash mountain well where you go down that little steep i thought it was the big one put a poncho on hid my camera started to scream while the other people in the boat laughed at me~!

also the first time i road dinosaur I was 18 yet again and I thought when the guy said omg were not gunna make it I seriously thought like the ride was gunna stop working and then when i seen the teridactal i almost crapped my self :-( I was like duhh!!!!

When I was younger, much much younger, used to be in a wheelchair while at Disney all the time (long story for another time). During the parade one year at MGM (yes MGM it wasn't Hollywood yet), it had to be 95 or 96, the muscle guy from Toy Story came up to me and pointed at me then him. He started showing off and I, not knowing what was going on, just...started...clapping. It went on for maybe 10 seconds or so then he waved and walked off.

About two months later it hit me that I was supposed to IMITATE what he was doing. There is video of my "fail" just hard to find (VHS and all...)

Donald96

LOL I love this thread!!

Okay I did think the Ostritch eggs were real... Oops
I also swore the strecthing room was an elevator, and when I was little I used to be so scared of Mickey's Phillarmagic that I cried when Donald got sucked up and refused to put the glasses on for the rest of the show. Next, I thought that Tom Morrow was a real person and thought "Wow, he must work here cause they call him every time we're here!" Following that I believed the Mission: Space buttons and I would pull my little sister's arms forward to press the buttonsXD Yup there's more, Flights of Wonder I thought that the tour guide was real and that they were stupid for touring Animal Kingdom when they were scared of birds LOL and that the Indiana Jones people were really selected up till now! Winnie the Pooh I used to think that the track was acctually flooded and would try to move around to balance the car so water wouldn't come in. Next I thought that the Test Track video was real and crapped my pants when that woman selected the barrier test! (Last time I was there, there were some Brazilian tourists who had said a bad word when she pressed it so I know I'm not alone!) Jungle Cruise I thought they did steer the boat the first couple times, and Backlot Tour I thought that we were filming a real movie, but they lost control and we were going to die. Yup that's all I can think of.. for now. :ROFLOL:

MagicMegan

I have a very odd sense of humor, and it seems that every time I go on the Jungle Cruise I hardly laugh when everyone else is, but I crack up hysterically when no one else gets the stupid jokes. One time, I was the ONLY ONE laughing, and it was LOUD. The "skipper" literally stared at me for a couple minutes and had no idea what to say.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
On a Disney bus when I was 17, the bus driver says "here's the Contemporary Resort, it has 15 floors, it was supposed to have 16 but that's another story". I INSISTED that he tell us the other story! Around the fourth time I asked for the other story, my mom had to explain it to me. Dork.

Banksy

Okay, it’s time for an honest exposure of our mental foibles (well, mine anyway). The first time that I rode on The Great Movie Ride, I assumed that the host on the ride was being truthful when he enthusiastically stated that it was the perfect job for him because he “loved the movies”. It wasn't until my second time on this attraction that I realized that the line was scripted. You may be thinking, “rsoxguy, it makes you sound like an idiotic dork, but hey, you were just a naïve lad”. No, sadly, I was well into my 20’s when I first rode The Great Movie Ride. Yeah, major dork.

Anyone else ever feel like a lobotomy patient at Disney World?

:D No, not dorky really. I suppose you wouldn't really think about it until you ride it again. It's like all the jokes on jungle cruise etc. You don't think about them being scripted until you ride it again :)

When i was 6 i thought the Donkey was real on thunder mountain. It made me sad that they tied it up there! :D

Alison1975

You're very nice for posting this, but I am a dork. Want a non-Disney example? Hang on to that swig of soda in your mouth!
When my wife and I were dating, lo, many years ago, we were walking through local mall. One of the stores had a dress displayed at its entrance on a mannequin. It was the eighties, and the dress was typical to the era, with a large fan-like 'thing" across the chest. I found it odd, so I walked up to it and started tugging on the fan thing and telling my girlfriend how weird the dress looked. She was mortified. As she pulled me away, she explained to me that the mannequin was actually a live model who was payed to stand still. That's right, I had been unknowingly tugging at the chest area of a woman's dress, and she didn't move an inch. True story. Like I said, major dork.

Oh my..yes I am dieing at this one and I will probably be laughing all weekend..thank you.. I have to work all weekend and this will likely get me thru it!

Thorpyness

I've only got 3 occasions, but they are all ones nobody else has mentioned.

In 2009 we took 2 nephews 12 & 14, and stayed at riverside. We were discussing the waterwheel at Riverside Mill and how it was powered, he was convinced it was powered by water, it was only when I made him trace the water back to it's source that he realised it was pumped, but well hidden.

In the stunt show, a the end of the first scene with the boulder rolling they yell cut to end it, my 12 yr old nephew thought "indy" was actually hurt, he watched raiders at ours last weekend for the first time and totally got the references.

My own moment of madness is when I look back the point where I "got" what it was that Disney do differently and where and when fell in love with the place. It was 2003 and I was convinced by my Gf to go, It was a very expensive holiday and our first together. I had been to most of the British theme parks and was expecting more of the same. We went on spaceship earth and I wasn't that impressed as it was just a few waving dummies and a spiel. We then went on Ellens Energy adventure, I was expecting a film show. As the screen got wider I was amazed, then when the cars started up I was totally blown away. Yes I sat in a ride car without realising what it was...I was only 32 at the time! I have since tried to look at how I missed the doors of the vehicle closing, or the signs saying keep your hands and arms in the car at all times...I've no idea !

nepalostparks

My son who was 13 at the time swore up and down that the AA's in the American Experience were actual human actors.

About two weeks ago, a guest in row in front of me on Pirates of the Caribbean was convinced that Jack Sparrow in the treasure room was a live actor. The Disney Imagineers really did their job there!

I have a very odd sense of humor, and it seems that every time I go on the Jungle Cruise I hardly laugh when everyone else is, but I crack up hysterically when no one else gets the stupid jokes. One time, I was the ONLY ONE laughing, and it was LOUD. The "skipper" literally stared at me for a couple minutes and had no idea what to say.

This is me, every time I ride the Jungle Cruise. I'm not sure why I laugh at the same jokes over and over, but I really do crack up when I ride.

InLikeFlynn

Mine was at DL. I have only been there once, and it was with some ladies I was on a trip with (no kids/family). We were waiting in the line for the Indiana Jones ride and they have this rope set up with a sign that says "don't pull the rope" (or something like that). Well this kid behind us who was being totally ignored by the people he was with was pulling and practically hanging from this rope. I looked at one of the girls I was with and commented "can you believe this....look at this kid on the rope!" and she reprimanded him....he just let it go and turned away (I'm not sure the mom or whoever he was with heard any of it).

It wasn't until years later at DHS that I saw a similar rope set up near the Indiana Jones stunt show that I realized it was a gag. Ummm...dork. They got me!

joanna71985

Okay, sadly, I thought of another personal example on my drive home from work. Why am I willing to share these embarrassing tidbits of my life with you all? Well, if you can't laugh at yourself, then......uh......you can have your pretend friends on the internet laugh at you. (I have actually met Joanna, but I made her pose with a Red Sox bear for my trip report, so I don't think that she considers me a pal.)

Aww, I thought it was cute! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom