Disney doesn't allow guns at work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemloc

1) People are making it out to sound like cast members are toting guns around the workplace, so it makes WDW unsafe. What a crock. This is about average joe citizen leaving a gun in their car, while at work, for their own personal protection to and from work. Have any of you really been to Orlando/Kissimmee??? AWAY from all the tourist dives??? It is NOT a safe place by any stretch of the imagination. And all this crud about some disgruntled employee going nuts and running out to the car and grabbing their 'gat' and shootin up the place is far-fetched and ridiculous. If someone is really that despondent, they will just as easily go home, buy a firearm off the street and then return to wreak havoc.

2) This anti-gun mindset is what allows situations like Virginia Tech to happen. Look at the shopping mall in Utah(It was an off duty cop who stopped that massacre, but it could've just as easily been an average citizen with a CCW). People don't just go nuts with guns. In fact, a guy in China just walked into a police station and killed 5 cops with a knife. And in Japan, just recently stabbed a whole bunch of people with a knife on the street after crashing into them with a truck. Should we outlaw trucks and knives, too??

3) Most people who carry legally owned firearms and have CCWs are responsible and have undergone training in safety and the proper use and care of a firearm, and a lot of them spend time at the range, so they know how to use them. It's not these people you should be worried about. It's the ones who carry a gun illegally or obtain one illegally off of the street or wherever. No gun law ever enacted will protect you from them, but the guy next to you with a CCW just might.

4) As a federal law enforcement officer, I carry a weapon and qualify with it 4 times a year. Most local law enforcement agencies in Florida qualify with their weapons ONCE a year(Maybe twice). The average CCW carrier spends a lot more time at the range than we do. And yes, when at WDW I bring my weapon and leave it in the safe in the on-site resorts. No one is going to tell me otherwise. I don't carry my weapon off duty normally, but when traveling to Orlando on the Turnpike or hanging out in Kissimmee, it is definitely a must-have.

All that being said, I am not a gun-nut and I don't find the need to carry my gun everywhere 24/7. But if I wanted to, that is my choice and no one has the right to tell me otherwise((Common sense tells me to not carry a gun in a bar, especially, and anyone who does is pretty dumb, so that is exempt!).

PhotoDave219

So, either of you have a compelling reason that doesn't come straight form NRA issued rhetoric?

Guns have no place at Disney. The national defense of the United States will not be decided on a family with a handgun in their minivan parked in Dopey 45.

kcnole

So, either of you have a compelling reason that doesn't come straight form NRA issued rhetoric?

I'm not a member of the NRA, just a citizen who uses common sense and has real life experience to back up my opinions. If you want to trample all over the Constitution, go ahead, but don't expect me to sit back and be happy about it.

And its not a matter of the guns being needed at Disney. Its a matter of them being needed on your way to and from Disney. Sure, for the most part Disney is a very safe location, but the surrounding area is anything but.

cymbaldiva

Guns have no place at Disney. The national defense of the United States will not be decided on a family with a handgun in their minivan parked in Dopey 45.

I think the question should be " Do you have an actual rebutal to their very sound facts? "

hemloc

Nobody's saying anyone should be toting a gun in the parks on their person(I wouldn't condone that at all for simple reasons like rollercoasters and guns don't mix!). The issue is about cast members having guns in there cars for protection while traveling to and from work.

And anything I say has nothing to do with the NRA(Frankly, I don't even pay attention to them). It comes from real life experience and common sense and not wearing rose-colored glasses and imagining that the world is a happy, safe place.

kimmychad

Well, if you actually read the article (Can gun nuts read? Well tell you at 11. :lookaroun), Disney is exempt from it because of a loophole in the law that basically says if you have a federal explosives permit, you are can be exempt from the law. Because of their fireworks productions, they happen to have said permit and are exempt from the law.

Personally, i don't want guns at Disney. Its the happiest place on earth; we don't need it looking like an armed camp in the Middle East.

The gun nuts can go up the street to Universal where.... oh wait, they're exempt too because of a relationship with the Orange County Public School system.

i would hope you don't consider anyone that would keep a gun in their home a "gun nut". i bought a 12 guage shotgun and keep it in the bedroom for the sole purpose of protecting me and the wife. disneys stance on guns isnt going to affect anyone except law-abiding citizens, and most of those people wouldn't be a threat anyway. the would-be criminals will do what they want until they get caught.

kcnole

Having said all that, this is a sticky issue, IMO, because it puts 2nd Ammendment rights against the right of a person or entity to excersice jurisdiction over their own private property. For example, your right to own a gun doesn't give you the right to bring it into my house if I don't want guns in my house. So the issue here is, does your right to own a gun outweigh the right of the Disney Company to set rules for their property?

This is actually the real issue here and one I've ignored a bit in my responses because its what bothers me about this law. Up till now I've just been arguing why someone should have the right to carry a weapon. This is a troubling issue though because, as someone who values rights above all else, it seems a point where one points rights will have to trump another's rights. I don't know how to get around that.

Do we tell companies that they don't have a right to control what comes onto their private property, or do we tell someone else that you're not allowed to carry your weapon (which is a right provided to you by the constitution) on your way to and from work. These are two very important rights, and I don't know what the right answer is here.

hemloc

disneys stance on guns isnt going to affect anyone except law-abiding citizens, and most of those people wouldn't be a threat anyway. the would-be criminals will do what they want until they get caught.

AMEN!! It never ceases to amaze me that sooooo many people fail to realize this simple, simple concept. It's kinda scary that so many people live with their heads buried in the sand, eh??

kcnole

But didn't you know, if we make owning a gun illegal, that would mean the criminals would get rid of there's as well, right? I mean its worked so well with drugs.

This has nothing to do with national defense...it's about personal defense, and individual rights, guaranteed by our Constitution...last time I checked, the NRA didn't write the Constitution.

Chezman1399

well, I'm not against the second ammendment, but I also feel the government has no right to dictate the policies of a private company. If they were working on a military base or most governement outfits, they couldn't carry a personal firearm either. Heck, even in the building where this law was passed it's not lawful for a firearm, not held by security, to enter the building whether in a vehicle or not(if there is a parking garage in the place). I can mention a few other places where the FL and Federal governement(Any military base and Kennedy Space Center) would be violating this law, so how can they enforce it on a private company.

kcnole

And that is the issue here which is a real issue unlike some of the emotional anti gun rants I read so often. Who's rights get to supersede here, the private property rights, or the individual gun right.

WDW Monorail

beararms.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

And that is the issue here which is a real issue unlike some of the emotional anti gun rants I read so often. Who's rights get to supersede here, the private property rights, or the individual gun right.

I'd say the private property, b/c they are responsible for thousands of people on their property. The indvidual is responsible for only one person - themselves.

Thelazer

I personally know of 3 cast members who have been harassed at WDW by guests, thugs or groups of rowdy people. This has often happened as they walk to their car after their shift in the parking lot. One person was followed home and had to call 911 when they got to their house because the person following them was attempting to attack them. Another person I know was on their way to work and stopped off at a local hotel (outside of Disney) to visit a girlfriend and was attacked in that hotels parking lot. He was able to defend himself and was not harmed. Another cast member was harassed at one of the WDW hotel properties by a group of thugs who intended to break into his car.

I know many cast members who live in VERY BAD areas of town (as that is all the can afford on what Disney pays) who do not feel safe when they drive to or from work. If you work a later or night shift, it's even worse. I know other cast members who live in very nice apartments who have had there own apartment broken into and at night have very strange people hanging around the parking lot. I myself, live in a nice area off the beaten path yet we have issues here with people breaking into homes and cars.

The bottom line is this. As it currently stands a person who intends to commit a crime does not care about any "Company Policy" or "laws." They will bring a gun, bomb, etc to WDW and will use it. This is a fact and no law or policy will prevent this.

Personally, after what I've seen happen to myself and friends over the last few years while we were all "law abiding citizens" and/or “good company employees” I welcome this new law. I hope Disney is quickly forced to comply with it.

Look, when Disney’s own security guards tell you “off the clock” that when something happens its really “everyman for himself, until the police show up” that should clue you into a few things.

Chezman1399

Absolutely, it's like a giant catch 22, you either violate the rights of the business in a Capitalist Society or you violate the rights of the gun owner. Personally I don't see a need to have a gun in a car when it's 100 degrees out, probably 120 at least in the car, and the person is working an 8-12 hour shift. Then again I'm not a gun owner. I do feel however that when you take a job someplace you must adhere to the policies of the place you choose to work. It's not like it's a change of policy for Disney either. It's always been their policy.

PhotoDave219

This has nothing to do with national defense...it's about personal defense, and individual rights, guaranteed by our Constitution...last time I checked, the NRA didn't write the Constitution.

Really? You'd think otherwise sometimes....

hemloc said:
Nobody's saying anyone should be toting a gun in the parks on their person(I wouldn't condone that at all for simple reasons like rollercoasters and guns don't mix!). The issue is about cast members having guns in there cars for protection while traveling to and from work.

And anything I say has nothing to do with the NRA(Frankly, I don't even pay attention to them). It comes from real life experience and common sense and not wearing rose-colored glasses and imagining that the world is a happy, safe place.

Oh don't accuse me of wearing rose-colored glasses. I've seen my share of bodies, carnage and the aftermath and i know how messed up this world and the Orlando/Turnpike area is. I don't feel that cast members need a gun in their car for protection traveling to and from work. Not necessary, IMO. Traveling to and from Four Corners, Hunters Creek, and all the other little areas that cast members live in, I don't see where thats completely necessary and it seems more like an election-year "vote-for-me" issue. (Now if you lived in Crime Hills, i might be able to feel for you a little)

I just dont see where theme parks and resorts should have people bringing guns with them.

(BTW the NRA response was posted in response to someone else, you just had your reply posted before mine.)

PhotoDave219

I think the question should be " Do you have an actual rebutal to their very sound facts? "

Can you prove they're facts? Can you come up with a compelling reason - beyond fear of the unknown and what might happen on your way to work - why you need a gun in your car on your way to and from work?

PKD

Original Poster
..... And yes, when at WDW I bring my weapon and leave it in the safe in the on-site resorts. No one is going to tell me otherwise. I don't carry my weapon off duty normally, but when traveling to Orlando on the Turnpike or hanging out in Kissimmee, it is definitely a must-have.

Devils advocate.....

So, according to the article, Disney does not allow fire arms on their property at all except for Police. If Disney informed you that you could not have your fire arm, what would you do? Would you refuse to leave & tell them they don't have the right to control what is brought onto their private property? Would you leave the resort and find a hotel off site that allows fire arms? Would you stay on site and not bring the fire arm?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Disney cites language within Florida's newly enacted "Preservation and Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act of 2008" that creates an exception for companies whose primary business is to manufacture, use, store or transport explosives regulated under federal law.
Looks like that missle silo came in handy after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom