Disney doesn't allow guns at work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT.nut

Frontierland could become more authentic...

You are so right! :sohappy: I really hate those fake rifles they make us shoot in the gallery. If I could bring DH's 10/22 with the scope, I'd plink in that gallery all day long! :D

PhotoDave219

That's not entirely true.
I'm not saying that CMs should have guns or shouldn't. Just refferring to an exception to the bolded phrase.

Well I'm going to take the radical position here that nobody at Disney needs a gun beyond the local law enforcement.

EPCOT.nut said:
Dunno! I can't imagine debating gun control on THIS website.

Well if you can dream it, you can do it..... :D

PKD

Original Poster
You are so right! :sohappy: I really hate those fake rifles they make us shoot in the gallery. If I could bring DH's 10/22 with the scope, I'd plink in that gallery all day long! :D

Duck hunting season or Rabbit hunting season? I'm always getting those confused

yankspy

Hm. That IS true! Then how about the captain for the Jungle Cruise, or the gangster in the GMR? Maybe Disney's making a mistake here... :lookaroun

:p
Just think of the reduction in line cutters they would have if the CM's were packing. "Go ahead, make my year of a million dreams":lol:

Bad joke, sorry.

EPCOT.nut

Duck hunting season or Rabbit hunting season? I'm always getting those confused

I don't know! :( Remember the Nintendo game Duck Hunt. Other than Mario, that was one of the best old video games out there. The laser gun technology blew me away back then!

Just think of the reduction in line cutters if the CM's were packing. "Go ahead, make my year of a million dreams":lol:

Bad joke, sorry.

OOOH You know I always wanted to carry a taser for the tour groups. We saw several yesterday and the flash photography on the boat in front of us on POTC was terrible! The whole boat was full of kids in yellow shirts and each one had a camera and each one was taking flash pics. If I was an epillectic I would have died on the spot! :dazzle:

Here's what we saw at the exit:

2632476018_a5992f6322.jpg

CrashNet

I may be completely wrong on this, but I thought I read that the law allows guns in the cars on properties owned by either private or government entities. Was I right on that interpretation?

Raven66

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn ugly:eek:

But to just add my 2 cents, I'm very against guns.(just my opinion) We actually have a couple of shotguns in our house because my DH used to hunt. The only reason I have allowed them is because they have locks on them. I don't see why gun owners get so mad when it's brought up that locks should become law. You would think they would want the guns to be safe. I definately don't think guns should be allowed on Disney property except for the police. Why would you need the them?

miles1

Regardless of the law, has the crime in Florida, or the Orlando area, gotten that bad that you would want to carry a gun in your car? For you CM's and Orlando locals, do you feel its necessary to protect yourself on a day-to-day basis?

Craig & Lisa

I have a feeling that these so called "elected officials" who work for the people will next try to have Disneys permit revoked. :lookaroun:p:hammer:

PhotoDave219

I may be completely wrong on this, but I thought I read that the law allows guns in the cars on properties owned by either private or government entities. Was I right on that interpretation?

The loophole that is being exploited is that if your business holds a federal explosives permit, you are exempt from that law, which Disney happens to have because of their fireworks.

Universal is exempt because of an educational program relationship with the Orange County Schools.

As someone who attends theme parks, i don't want guns there. I don't want them in the parking lot, i don't want the employees to have them. I want to feel safe, and the idea that patrons and cast of Disney having guns doesn't make me feel safe one bit.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

:lol::lol::lol:

This could get interesting!

*sits back with popcorn*

*Joins krankenstein on the couch and brings the booze*

Well I'm going to take the radical position here that nobody at Disney needs a gun beyond the local law enforcement.

*throws her $.02 in* Agreed Photo Dave. Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people...

s8film40

I think the point of this law is not so much to allow people to have guns in their car at work but is to ensure that they can carry their legal guns with them to and from work. If someone wants to carry their gun with them during their commute there is no way for them leave it somewhere just off property. I wouldn't be surprised at all if having a gun in the car is already a very common practice amongst some employees. Keep in mind there are people working at Disney whose income puts them below the poverty line, who make use of government subsidized low income housing, or just in general live in really bad areas, I could understand these people having a desire to protect themselves.

Bill Smugs

I think the point of this law is not so much to allow people to have guns in their car at work but is to ensure that they can carry their legal guns with them to and from work. If someone wants to carry their gun with them during their commute there is no way for them leave it somewhere just off property. I wouldn't be surprised at all if having a gun in the car is already a very common practice amongst some employees. Keep in mind there are people working at Disney whose income puts them below the poverty line, who make use of government subsidized low income housing, or just in general live in really bad areas, I could understand these people having a desire to protect themselves.

So where are they getting the money for the gun and the permits for it?

PigletIsMyCat

I have to agree that I don't think guns belong on Disney property in the hands of Guests or CMs. If the OCSD has them on property, that's fine. But I see no reason to carry a gun with you in your car at all times.

Of course, in case you couldn't tell, I have never owned a firearm, and have never had a desire to. I have lived in some bad neighborhoods in New York, and currently live outside of Orlando, where the crime is pretty high, and my aluminium baseball bat will do nicely. If I need to defend myself, I will, but a gun would serve no purpose for me. If someone comes at me with a gun, they're either a) close enough that I can get them with that aforementioned bat, or b) far enough away that I can't hit them, in which case my only option would be to have a gun on me that I can aim and fire before they do, and the chances of that are not amazingly high.

Having a gun doesn't protect you from someone with a gun, IMHO. And I have to say that I'd rather Disney not allow CMs or Guests to bring guns on property at all. I feel safer without guns than with.

s8film40

So where are they getting the money for the gun and the permits for it?

Well you have a point:lol:, but seriously there are situations out there that do warrant having a gun. I think the idea behind this law is that people have a right to carry guns to protect themselves, and company policies not allowing them on property inhibit this even off the companies property. Take a drive through some parts of Kissimme and you might want one too. Crime can happen anywhere, take for instance a hypothetical Disney employee who commutes from Tampa (I know a few) stops at a gas station on the way home from work(after an EMH this could be 3:00 am or later) and steps into a robbery taking place. Now if this Disney employee was trained to use a gun to protect himself and others, that gun that Disney doesn't allow might come in very handy.

Not to get too political but I think this story illustrates a very good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyuJzjOcQE

GrowingUpDisney

We just recently puchased a gun for our home (for protection if ever needed) and we travel with it in our car on trips (again for safety). We never take it out of the car. We drive to Orlando 3 - 4 times each year.

I know this thread was started due to guns and cast members but many people have said that there are not allowed on property by anyone.

POINT IS:

I have never heard of this rule / policy. Is this something that is made readily known to guests? I would hate to think that we should not be protected on our 8 hour drive just because Disney doesn't allow out gun to remain locked in the console of my private vehicle while we visit the resort.

Additionally, how would anyone know what someone has in their car? Do they do random car checks?

FYI - I have no political views on this subject, so I am not looking for a fight or sarcastic remarks. I am really just wondering.

Thanks - Niki

tn1999

Seeing anyone justify having a gun really confuses me. Maybe Im an extremist? I dont think so - I just think Im taking the smarter stance on the issue. NO GUNS PEOPLE! not for any reason at anytime! If you want to carry a gun because you think you are entitled or its your right, what you really are passionately defending is an outdated written proclomation, and not the actual ability to carry a mechanism of death.

The 2nd ammendment was enacted at a time when this country was in an "every man for himself" situation. Back then, the need to bear arms was just as important as the desire to live without religious tyranny and start a new life in a new land independent from outdated laws from the mother-land. TIMES CHANGE. get with them. Be safe, instead of creating a false sense of safety with a gun.

Happy Independence Day!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom