Disney Dining Experience Changes

brkgnews

Interesting CM's are forced to pay the 18% on TS. You think they would already be tipping their fellow CM well :shrug: Kind of like taking care of you own
True, but CMs aren't exactly lucratively paid, so if money is a bit tight at the time (which it typically is during the 52 weeks between January and December), skimping on the tip might be a way to stretch the ol' dollar.

There's an old saying... you can't eat pixie dust.

AMartin767

When exactly did 18% become the standard tip? I always thought that 15% is normally what's expected, and unless I receive spectacular service, that's what I leave.

Not only that, but, except at buffets, I do calculate the tip after the discount. The reason is simple, I order more expensive food when I know it's discounted, and don't see why I should tip more then I would if I didn't have the discount. After all, it's not like the server is working any harder to bring me a steak instead of some pasta.

Bingo!

Why should one pay more (percentage on total) just because the meal costs more? This does not directly correlate to the service you receive. You get the same service ordering meal A at 16.50 as you do ordering meal B at 25.00 so why should you have to pay more (15% on top of the meal cost.) Yet another example of why the entire tipping concept is so utterly rediculous.

Maerj

Bingo!

Why should one pay more (percentage on total) just because the meal costs more? This does not directly correlate to the service you receive. You get the same service ordering meal A at 16.50 as you do ordering meal B at 25.00 so why should you have to pay more (15% on top of the meal cost.) Yet another example of why the entire tipping concept is so utterly rediculous.

Wow... I NEVER thought of it like that. That's a very interesting take, thanks.

Computer Magic

True, but CMs aren't exactly lucratively paid, so if money is a bit tight at the time (which it typically is during the 52 weeks between January and December), skimping on the tip might be a way to stretch the ol' dollar.

There's an old saying... you can't eat pixie dust.
which makes it even more interesting that Disney is enforcing the policy on CM discounts. Disney needs to pay CM more....

Rob562

My only real issue with the new policy is for the buffet restaurants. I don't feel that an 18% tip is proper for the entirely self-service buffet places like Chef Mickey's, Boma, etc.

Although they're not exactly the most definitive sources, to reference two sources of info:

The website www.tipping.org says for "Buffet-Style Restaurants" the tip should be 5-10%. Personally, I usually go more along the lines of 10-15%
http://www.tipping.org/tips/buffet.html

My sister, who has been a waitress or bartender at least part-time for most of her adult life, told me $2, in reference to the Golden Corral buffet place in her town. I don't know the exact price of the buffet there, but it's about $15-20, making that a 10-15% tip.

Of course, at places where it's All-You-Can-Eat but it's *not* serve-yourself, such as the family-style meals at Ohana, Garden Grill, etc, the servers should be tipped as a regular full-service restaurant. They do just as much running around (and sometimes even more-so) as a regular sit-down restaurant.

Apart from thinking twice about going to the buffet places with the DDE discount, I'm perfectly fine with an automatic 18% tip, as long as management can reduce it if we do have truly bad service. In those instances, I'd probably want to speak to the manager anyway.

-Rob

tecowdw

Okay, so the union and the Company come to an agreement that all DDE meals will require an automatic 18% gratuity. Isn't this likely to hurt the CM's more than help them? Assuming the majority of people tip over 20% - now with automatic gratuity people will be more likely to just let it go at the 18%. Yes, some will ad additional gratuity but would the majority still do that?

Now if the majority of people they serve tend to tip less than 18% I suppose this would be beneficial. However, the comments on this board lead me to believe more people tip over 20% than don't.

I say the server should earn their tip. If you get someone that wants to be cheap then too bad ~ life deals you that card sometimes in that line of work. Forcing the guest (and let's call it for what it is, forced) to pay 18% is bad PR and can be a demotivator for the just average server.

:shrug:

Computer Magic

Bingo!

That is a good point. That is why I don't tip on %, but a dollar amount. If I only order a salad for $10.00, that is only $1.80 tip. That is not a fair tip, so I would leave maybe $3.00.

Rob562

Interesting CM's are forced to pay the 18% on TS. You think they would already be tipping their fellow CM well :shrug: Kind of like taking care of you own

You'd also think that the bus drivers running the Cast buses would treat the CMs they're driving around better, as well as the CMs treating the Cast bus drivers better, but I've seen a number of stories to the contrary...

-Rob

tecowdw

My only real issue with the new policy is for the buffet restaurants. I don't feel that an 18% tip is proper for the entirely self-service buffet places like Chef Mickey's, Boma, etc.

Although they're not exactly the most definitive sources, to reference two sources of info:

The website www.tipping.org says for "Buffet-Style Restaurants" the tip should be 5-10%. Personally, I usually go more along the lines of 10-15%
http://www.tipping.org/tips/buffet.html

My sister, who has been a waitress or bartender at least part-time for most of her adult life, told me $2, in reference to the Golden Corral buffet place in her town. I don't know the exact price of the buffet there, but it's about $15-20, making that a 10-15% tip.

Of course, at places where it's All-You-Can-Eat but it's *not* serve-yourself, such as the family-style meals at Ohana, Garden Grill, etc, the servers should be tipped as a regular full-service restaurant. They do just as much running around (and sometimes even more-so) as your regular sit-down restaurant.

Apart from thinking twice about going to the buffet places with the DDE discount, I'm perfectly fine with an automatic 18% tip, as long as management can reduce it if we do have truly bad service. In those instances, I'd probably want to speak to the manager anyway.

-Rob

No matter where you dine, people should be able to tip whatever percentage they want. Be it 2% or 30%! It's all about the unique experience you had at that restaurant and your personal preference in doling out your money. Just because you may feel like it's worth 10% doesn't mean I won't consider the exact same service worth 18%. It's all personal to the person that has to pay. Servers have to suck it up whether they are having a bad tip day or a fantastic tip day - it's the nature of the job.

lnsemsf

Out of curiosity does anybody know if they're using this automatic service charge to actually pay the server's wages? Under the law an automatic service charge is the restaurant's money, not the server, and they can then pay the server they're $2.13 or whatever an hour out of the collected service charge. I didn't read the full thread, just curious if they are doing this to reduce costs by reducing payroll.

JimboJones123

Jimbo's guide to tipping.

Rule #1.
Don't tip a %.

Rule #2.
Tip by number of guests. Not by guests eating. Not by number of meals. But number of guests. My wife and I split quite often going out. We'll split a meal. And split a dessert. But we have seperate drinks. And the server is serving BOTH of us. Why shoud they be screwed because we are splitting?

Rule #3.
Kids count as 1/2 person in this scale. So, when the kids are with us, it's 3 people.

Rule #4.
Tip by menu.
Level 1. Your buffets (low scale, Golden Corral, Souper Salad, Pizza Hut lunch, ect.) = $1 per person.
Level 2. Standard eatery (Chili's, Friday's, Max/Erma's, Applebees -- places where the average meal is around $10) = $2 per person.
Level 3. Nice dinner (Steakery like Outback, Olive Garden ect where meals average $15-$20 a plate) = $3 per person.
Level 4. Fancy dinner (Disney Dinners, Bistros, where meals are $25 or so per person) = $4 per person.

So say a bill at Level 1 comes out to $26 for the four of us (2 adults/2 kids), I tip $3.
If Level 1 is $14, I tip $3.
If we go to Chili's and split an app, kids meal and a burger, bill is $16, I tip $6.
If we go to Fridays and have an app, 4 meals and a dessert, bill is $49, I tip $6.

It keeps everything fair. If the server is EXCELLENT, I may add a few extra bucks.

If the server is poor, I may skimp a few bucks.

If server is awful, and by awful means I don't get a refil and have to ask for the bill, I round to the next dollar.

When Jimbo goes out to eat, there are only two things I want. A half full glass for the $2.59 plus tax/tip for that unlimited refill drink I ordered. And a prompt handing of the check when the meal is done. Nothing, but nothing irks me more than being held HOSTAGE because an eatery doesn't want to TAKE MY MONEY. HERE IT IS -- TAKE IT -- oh, you don't want it -- guess you don't want the tip that comes along with the payment for the food as well. GOOD DAY SIR/MA'AM.

brkgnews

That's a pretty darned good system, Jimbo. My only difference is that, no matter what the low-grade nature of the locale is, if I'm dining solo, I'll never stick them with just one buck -- I always go with two bucks or go on percentage (whichever is higher). Contrary to all my biotching in this thread so far, I do NOT believe in porking someone out of a proper tip (provided they've at least attempted to earn it).

However, my absolute number one rule for tipping... NEVER short the server's tip for the kitchen's mistake. I cannot stand it when the kitchen either screws up the order or has a long delay and the diner takes it out on the server. There's a difference in it taking 30 minutes to get your food and it's piping hot when you get it. That means the kitchen finally got around to it, but the server has rushed it to you ASAP. That's a kitchen problem. Tip your wait staff and then talk to the management about the kitchen. If I get my food and it has cobwebs growing on it, though, you have to find out where the problem was. Did the kitchen serve you cold food, or was it put out hot, but the wait staff ignored it for half an hour? If so, speak with thine tip.

KnK

And I am one of those people who would have no problem complaining to the manager of a restaurant if I received poor/slow service. While I can tolerate some errors here and there, this will force me to become more intolerant of things.

I also have no problem LEAVING the property to go to restaurants that are much better and don't have crying children in them. There are many of these places.

Having done this at Coral Reef, I found it got me only more fustrated. The manager told me that I would have to fill out the comment card and take it to guest relations. It was my only option, he told me talking with him would do nothing.

I did just as he said......two years later, never heard a thing about it.

WED10078

typhoon22,

Just responding to your comment about how you may find it hard to believe that you could get poor service at Cali Grill, Artist Point, or Citricos. Actually we have gotten poor service at Artist Point in the past and at other locations around the world.

My wife and I, will typically share an app, dinner, and dessert and have frequently recieved poor service as a result. We choose to share, not due to costs, but we simply do not like the side effects from overeating. We have no problems with tipping above and beyond if a server does not ignore us because we share.

JimboJones123

typhoon22,

Just responding to your comment about how you may find it hard to believe that you could get poor service at Cali Grill, Artist Point, or Citricos. Actually we have gotten poor service at Artist Point in the past and at other locations around the world.

My wife and I, will typically share an app, dinner, and dessert and have frequently recieved poor service as a result. We choose to share, not due to costs, but we simply do not like the side effects from overeating. We have no problems with tipping above and beyond if a server does not ignore us because we share.
We get bad service when there was an auto-tip with the DDP, I can only imagine how bad the service will be for the very loyal DDE folks now. Get ready to enjoy a 2.5 hour meal. And one where you don't get refills. Be sure to also not order extra condiments. I always order a side of BBQ with any sandwich and have waited until the entire family was FINISHED on more than one occasion with the DDP.

:rolleyes::mad::wave:

mcstensrud

We get bad service when there was an auto-tip with the DDP, I can only imagine how bad the service will be for the very loyal DDE folks now. Get ready to enjoy a 2.5 hour meal. And one where you don't get refills. Be sure to also not order extra condiments. I always order a side of BBQ with any sandwich and have waited until the entire family was FINISHED on more than one occasion with the DDP.

These servers don't just disappear into thin air?
All you have to do is politely ask or remind them that you are waiting for something.You are on vacation RELAX!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

In all my trips to WDW I have only once received bad service at a TS restaurant, whether using DDP, DDE or paying OOP. In the unlikely event that changes as a result of the addition of the 18% gratuity to the bill, there will be a sufficiently public scene in the restaurant and I won't be leaving until either reimbursed the 18% tip or comped the meal.

Frankly, I don't see it happening anyway. I don't believe there's any requirement to tell them you're using the DDE discount until you request the bill after the meal, so how will your server know that they can slack off with you?

wannabeBelle

I have always been asked if I Am using any type of Dining plan or DDE card at check in to a restaurant and it is noted on the system. I never looked to see if it was noted on the card for the server though. Any one know if this is noted?? Belle

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I have always been asked if I Am using any type of Dining plan or DDE card at check in to a restaurant and it is noted on the system. I never looked to see if it was noted on the card for the server though. Any one know if this is noted?? Belle

I think so Belle....usually the servers confirm even though it is asked at check-in. They also have to know as they are responsible about knowing limitations of the plan (what is not included), running a separate tab for alcohol, as well as making suggestions to maximize the cost of items ordered....
:eek:

ImaYoyo

I'm checking to see if I can get an official answer from the source, as the last six people I've spoken two had not heard this is a "Property-wide" implimentation including non-DDE, and may have been poor wording on the writer's behalf.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom