Disney Dining Experience Changes

DAWGFAN

Yep Automatic tips suck. I hope Disney officials are reading this thread and see how unpopular this type of tatic it is with it's many fans. However, if the service sucks I have on more than one experience called the manager over and politely let them know about it and if his/her response also sucked I got louder so others would know also. Not that I was trying be a @#*! but like everyone else we have a right to expect service if we are expected to pay for it. Automatic tips are such an insult and says we don't care about your expextations.

Computer Magic

Disney knows that people will just keep coming and they will keep paying. Its obvious that they almost cant raise the prices high enough to actually put a dent in tourism and keep the people home.
That is where Disney has a short memory. When the economy slows, Disney will slow. How fast they forget the early 2000, where they have to beg people to show up. Anyone remember the 4 day 3 day free promotion, Disney trying to fill the park.

And on a completely different subject, Computer Magic - I see you've been to Western Wyoming. I did it without Disney and I have to say to anyone that seeing Yellowstone stone before you die is something to put on your list. Seeing things like that and the actually what is left of the Oregon Trail is pretty moving and will leave you in awe. But there are no Fast Passes. In 10 days, I drove 2200 miles around Western Wyoming looking at ghost towns, Oregon Trail, the Tetons, Yellowstone, Cody, etc. Nothing like doing 100 mph for about an hour and seeing NOTHING but a few antelope and cattle fences. Gives you a whole new respect for how hard it must been traveling by wagon.
I agree, everyone should go to Wyoming. There is life outside the Disney parks :lookaroun

and you know what, all my expenses were included, even the tip :lookaroun I like my trip paid for when I leave. Include my 18% in the dining plan per table service, don't hide the cost until I arrive. Now Disney is nickle and diming me once I arrive, knowing most people won't say anything on vacation.

Computer Magic

On another board, they received word from Disney that this change only applies to those on the DDE and to parties of 6 or more (meaning age 3 and up).
That is what I took away from Brad's contract document, but I'm not a lawyer. Are there any lawyers that can read all the legal crap :lookaroun

WDWGuide

I won't be renewing the DDE card. Automatic tipping is just a bad system - tips should be based on quality of service, i.e. something the wait staff earns. It's not something they are entitled to no matter what.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Obviously not everyone is reading the whole thread...

For clarity:

The 18% tip is being put only on TS bills for DDE guests, groups of six or more and CMs using their discount. It will not be imposed on DDP or other guests and will not be applied to CS, snacks or food carts.

Now for those hoping Disney is reading this thread and will "do the right thing" and correct this. Disney has a signed contract that was negotiated with the Union that clearly obliges them to follow this policy. Under law, they can't change the policy until the current Collective Agreement expires.

So take whatever action you see fit to raise your concerns to WDW Management, but understand that the policy isn't going anywhere any time soon, regardless of what you think about it.

I will continue to use my DDE because it will continue to save me money exactly the same as before. If I ever get particularly bad service that warrants a complaint to Management, they'll get the complaint. :shrug:

Brian Noble

Actions speak stronger than words. I actually got a phone call from DDE about this after I called Amex to refuse to charge.
Absolutely. Writing a letter that says "I really think this sucks", and all but says "but I'm still coming anyway" will do precisely nothing.

If you don't like the policies, you have to vote with your wallet. If many people do so, the policies will change. If few people do so, they will not. It's that simple.

DisneyJoe

I will continue to use my DDE because it will continue to save me money exactly the same as before. If I ever get particularly bad service that warrants a complaint to Management, they'll get the complaint.

Me too. A discount is a discount, no matter how small!

Computer Magic

Don't forget the freeloaders who insist on having the free dining package :stir
:rolleyes: Dave I love when you stir the pot.

There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of a Disney Discount Offer. If that is what it takes to get people into the parks during hurricane season in Sept, then do it.

I never pay full price to get into Disney, there is always some kind of discount offer....either DDP, Room Discount, etc

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Prior to this, at the $65 AP rate, it took $325 in meals for the card to pay for itself.

Now it takes $3250.

Not worth it to me, not worth it anymore. I didn't spend that much on food at WDW when I lived in Orlando, much less now.

Computer Magic

For clarity:

The 18% tip is being put only on TS bills for DDE guests, groups of six or more and CMs using their discount. It will not be imposed on DDP or other guests and will not be applied to CS, snacks or food carts.
Interesting CM's are forced to pay the 18% on TS. You think they would already be tipping their fellow CM well :shrug: Kind of like taking care of you own

typhoon22

I will continue to use my DDE because it will continue to save me money exactly the same as before. If I ever get particularly bad service that warrants a complaint to Management, they'll get the complaint. :shrug:

I agree completely. The only way the discount is not worth it, is if you intended not to tip. If the service is not up to standards< I will speak to management well before I get the bill.

Wife and I are taking short 4 day trip that includes 3 nice dinners for two. California Grill, Artist Point, and Citricos. 20% discount on those 3 with the free valet service far exceeds the $65.00 DDE membership fee.

Been to these restaurants many times and it is very difficult to imagine that we would not get excellent service. And yes, the gratuity has been included on most of our trips due to party size.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Prior to this, at the $65 AP rate, it took $325 in meals for the card to pay for itself.

Now it takes $3250.

Not worth it to me, not worth it anymore. I didn't spend that much on food at WDW when I lived in Orlando, much less now.
That 'math' only works if you never tip at all. Otherwise, it still takes ~$325 in meals to cover the cost of the card. :shrug:

mkt

Premium Member
That 'math' only works if you never tip at all. Otherwise, it still takes ~$325 in meals to cover the cost of the card. :shrug:
Monty, that was an example.

My beef is about choice and being forced to tip if I choose not to, for whatever reason I choose not to. I didn't agree to this term when I signed up for DDE, and I don't agree with it now. To me, a a gratuity is something that is given on the basis of the quality of service received, and not something added as a fee regardless of the quality of service received.

DVC Mike

Now it takes $3250.

Not worth it to me, not worth it anymore.

The DDE remains a great deal. If you typically left an 18% tip, then there is absolutely no reduction in value with the new gratuity change.

Let's say I go to Artist Point and spend $250 without the DDE. I add on an 18% tip and spend $295.

I spend $65 on the DDE and have the same meal - they add the tip off the $250, but subtract the 20% DDE discount. I now spend $245 on our meal. I've still saved $50 on a single meal.

Do that over the course of a vacation, and the DDE can more than pay for itself! It's still a great deal.

I have the DDE card and I plan on renewing it when it expires.

NewfieFan

:rolleyes: Dave I love when you stir the pot.

There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of a Disney Discount Offer. If that is what it takes to get people into the parks during hurricane season in Sept, then do it.

I never pay full price to get into Disney, there is always some kind of discount offer....either DDP, Room Discount, etc

Thank you!!! I was going to say something but you beat me to it. Why would you pay regular price when it's on sale!?! Free Dining is just another promotion to get people to visit. Am I a freeloader when I get my room at a discount price or get a ticket upgrade for free?

mkt

Premium Member
Again, it's about choice. I choose what to tip and whether or not to.

To be blunt, f!!k the money, it isn't what is bothering me. This isn't about money. It is about my choice. If I get bad service, I will tip appropriately. I don't want to involve a manager and A- create a potentially uncomfortable situation between the CM's and myself, and B- I don't like involving management.

It's my choice to tip and what to tip, just like it is my choice to pay for DDE membership.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Monty, that was an example.

My beef is about choice and being forced to tip if I choose not to, for whatever reason I choose not to. I didn't agree to this term when I signed up for DDE, and I don't agree with it now. To me, a a gratuity is something that is given on the basis of the quality of service received, and not something added as a fee regardless of the quality of service received.
I agree, my only difference is in the level to which I'm prepared to take my retaliation. You've chosen to substantially change your eating habits and return your DDE card. That's perfectly fine for you. For me, I choose to continue with my preferred dining habits, continue to take advantage of the savings afforded to me by the DDE program [which are actually increased by this policy - since I won't often add to the forced tip] and in those extremely rare occasions where service is less than satisfactory I'll ask to speak to a Manager and itemize to him/her exactly what was lacking and demand corrective action be taken both with the server and with the 18% tip.

If the policy actually had any direct negative impact on me, then I'd be upset. As it is, it actually will save me more money. :shrug:

padlock

When exactly did 18% become the standard tip? I always thought that 15% is normally what's expected, and unless I receive spectacular service, that's what I leave.

Not only that, but, except at buffets, I do calculate the tip after the discount. The reason is simple, I order more expensive food when I know it's discounted, and don't see why I should tip more then I would if I didn't have the discount. After all, it's not like the server is working any harder to bring me a steak instead of some pasta.

This change is effectively raising the cost of my meals by 6% (based on 18% before discount as opposed to 15% after discount) and also denies me the option of punishing sub-standard service.

I for one, am not happy about this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom