Disney Dining Experience Changes

shoppingnut

There is a place near DTD Black Angus (great steaks in my opinion) I tend to stay away from places I have here when I am on Vacation (ie Applebees, Outback, Perkins anything like that).. No matter where you go to eat in Orlando there will be people there with screaming kids

Not necessarily true, I found found places and they do exist.

hrcollectibles

So, if the 18% tip if pre-discount and the discount is 20%, then I am only getting a 2% discount? :shrug:

Could this have been a measure since the DPP is dropping tips from the plan?

You are still getting a discount however they are applying the tip.. Was there this much ruckus when we found out the dining plan included the tip?? Probably not...

hrcollectibles

Okay, so the union and the Company come to an agreement that all DDE meals will require an automatic 18% gratuity. Isn't this likely to hurt the CM's more than help them? Assuming the majority of people tip over 20% - now with automatic gratuity people will be more likely to just let it go at the 18%. Yes, some will ad additional gratuity but would the majority still do that?

Now if the majority of people they serve tend to tip less than 18% I suppose this would be beneficial. However, the comments on this board lead me to believe more people tip over 20% than don't.

I say the server should earn their tip. If you get someone that wants to be cheap then too bad ~ life deals you that card sometimes in that line of work. Forcing the guest (and let's call it for what it is, forced) to pay 18% is bad PR and can be a demotivator for the just average server.

:shrug:

If you like the serive you get and want to tip more you can easily do that i suppose by either leaving the extra cash or adding it to the total

Christi22222

Just go back from a wonderful trip to Disney - my daughter & I decided at the last minute to have lunch at Sci-Fi - no reservations, no DDE or DDP - just lunch. Anyway, they automatically added an 18% tip to the bill. Thank goodness my daughter noticed it or I would have left an additional 20% on top of that! So, I guess they have already started automatically adding tips. Don't like the idea much because I like to control what I leave for the server but I guess there's not much we can do about it!

No one seems to be jumping on this....it appears to contradict all of the "official confirmation" that folks have received stating that the 18% only applies to DDE and cast member discounts. It is absolutely ridiculous that we can't get solid information regarding this policy. HELP!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
No one seems to be jumping on this....it appears to contradict all of the "official confirmation" that folks have received stating that the 18% only applies to DDE and cast member discounts. It is absolutely ridiculous that we can't get solid information regarding this policy. HELP!!
I think the discrepancy stems from the "new" policy starting in '08 and whatever the current policy is in '07.

Maerj

Not to mention that this person stated it was for them and their daughter- Two people! Not the party of 6 or more as Disney has been saying in their replies to us. Hmmmm....

kimmychad

Unless it ungodly more. $30-$40 a person like Jiko, then $5-6. But I don't see myself spending that kind of money there.

thats cool, we're getting the deluxe dining plan next year and i was just trying to figure out something fair to everyone involved. me and my wife love le cellier and we'll take my mother-in-law and her cousin there, but i just dont see giving someone $45 for an hour or hour and a half of work. thats just obscene to me. thanks for your help, i'll be using your system when we go next sept

kimmychad

sounds like someone screwed up, because the new policy isnt supposed to go into effect till jan anyways

bgula

You haven't seen cheap until you met my boss :lookaroun

5 of us went out for breakfast yesterday, the bill came to $42. He throws down $5 as a tip :lookaroun....as he walks away I pick up the five and leave a $10, so that he doesn't notice.

The best part of this story? I chose to leave the tip I felt was fair....I wasn't told by big business what was best. Maybe Disney should pay a fair wage .:shrug:

Hmmm... I would've left $4 or $4.50, but only because I feel I'm forced to tip. 10% is what I give for standard service, less if bad service. I'm with the people who hate tips and don't think I should be paying them for doing their job. Raise the price of food if necessary - don't ask me to pay someone extra for doing their job.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Reading the meanderings of this thread, I'm reminded of a long standing belief.....

I think a lot of things would be different if as part of our standard education, everyone would be required to work in the service industry for a year, preferably food service. It has to be one of the hardest and most thankless positions that I know of.

Taxes may be unfair, but I'm not about to stop paying them. Car and medical insurance rackets I will continue to support because the alternative is disaster. Politicians are self serving crooks, but I continue to vote. Whether the US policy/practice on tipping is fair, extortion, or whatever, I will NEVER take it out on the server. This is not the way to social change, however it may try to be justified.

Puts soapbox away for the day....:eek:

kimmychad

Reading the meanderings of this thread, I'm reminded of a long standing belief.....

I think a lot of things would be different if as part of our standard education, everyone would be required to work in the service industry for a year, preferably food service. It has to be one of the hardest and most thankless positions that I know of.

Taxes may be unfair, but I'm not about to stop paying them. Car and medical insurance rackets I will continue to support because the alternative is disaster. Politicians are self serving crooks, but I continue to vote. Whether the US policy/practice on tipping is fair, extortion, or whatever, I will NEVER take it out on the server. This is not the way to social change, however it may try to be justified.

Puts soapbox away for the day....:eek:

im not trying to be a part of any social change. but please, someone, try to make me believe why a server in a restaurant deserves more an hour than a nurse in a hospital, a soldier in the army, or most other jobs in our country. i've been to disney 4 times and ive had a couple good servers but most weren't trying very hard to earn a tip any more than my servers back home. oh, and i do work in the service industry, im a housekeeper in a hospital catering to both patients needs and staff needs.

DisneyMusician2

Is this lovely 18% percent going straight to our server? I always tip cash to ensure that.

If the tip is going into a general pool, that is really foul. I want my tip to go to my server.

When I was waiting tables, Credit Card tips and the like were pooled among staff and it was grossly unfair.

That being said, this whole policy is ridiculous. I agree with just raising the price of the food if that's what you need to do. Don't post a menu price and then tack on a percentage.

Magicfinder

1) I wrote an e-mail a few months back regarding the 2008 DDP changes and got a very nice phone call from WDW.
2) I now see that the phone call was just a patronizing move by WDW (as the very nice Disney Rep listened so sweetly and understood everything I said) but the only thing that has changed was further negative actions on their part.
3) I won't be doing any further e-mail complaints, etc. because it had no impact
4) My only recourse (and what I will be doing) in the future is that I WILL:
....A) No longer look at WDW as an annual vacation destination
....B) Not purchase the DDP if/when I do vacation there
....C) Not be eating at ANY table service restaurants

DisneyMusician2

1. Effective January 1, 2008 Gratuities will be paid on food and beverage totals only. Gratuities will not be paid on miscellaneous pricing, including but not limited to merchandise, entertainment, (excluding Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo, and Character Dining restaurants, where entertainment is included in the price), house charges, imaging, etc. Merchandise will only be included in the total food and beverage price for the purpose of gratuity calculation if the Server is required by the Company to handle and deliver merchandise items to the guest as part of the Guest’s dining experience. Gratuities will not be paid on autograph books, pens and disposable cameras.
2. The eighteen percent (18%) automatic gratuity for all new and existing package plans, to include the Disney Dining Plan, will be eliminated effective January 1, 2008.
3. Should the Company decide to reinstate package plans with automatic gratuity included, the parties agree the terms of the addendum expiring on April, 28, 2007 will remain in effect.
4. An automatic gratuity of eighteen percent (18%) will be added for supplemental food and beverage purchased at prepaid venues (i.e., Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Cinderella’s Royal Table, Princess Tea, Special Pre-paid events such as New Year’s Eve at California Grill).
5. A guaranteed three percent (3%) service charge will be added on the retail value of the meal for all Disney Dining Plan guests for parties of less than six (6), effective January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008
6. A guaranteed three percent (3%) service charge will be added on the retail value of the meal for all Disney Dining Plan guests for parties of less than six (6), effective January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009.
7. A guaranteed two percent (2%) service charge will be added on the retail value of the meal for all Disney Dining Plan guests for parties of less than six (6), effective January 1, 2010 through the end of the 2007 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
8. The Company agrees to negotiate with the Union, the application of the automatic gratuity for any future pre-paid venues, for the life of this agreement.
9. Where there are menu boards available, the verbiage “Gratuity Not Included’ will be added to the menu boards, by September 30, 2007, at outside bar locations in Disney’s MGM Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Disney’s Wide World of Sports, the Margarita Bar at Downtown Disney, and pool bars.
10. A three dollar ($3.00) fee will be paid for delivery of Private Dining amenities.
11. An automatic eighteen percent (18%) will be added for food and beverage purchased from the Golf Carts, Pizza Delivery and Private Dining.
12. It is the Company's understanding that when a business requires their guests to pay a Pre-determined charge, which is given to employees of the business, the charges are considered a service charge. Furthermore, service charges are not considered a tip, but rather, are wages paid by the employer. Consequently, the tax code requires the Company to withhold taxes on all service charges.
13. The Company's position with regard to tips has not changed. It is the responsibility of all service persons to report one-hundred percent (100%) of their tips and gratuities for income tax purposes. The Company will continue to report eight percent (8%) of the location's gross sales to the government and will withhold tax on the tips and gratuities declared by the employee to the Company. The Company reserves the right to amend and/or alter this position to conform to state and federal laws.
14. Under Wage and Hour laws, the Company is required to report tips and service charges in overtime situations.
15. An eighteen percent (18%) service charge will be added for Company sponsored Cast discounts, e.g. Cast Serving Cast, Cast discounted meals, and Cast Celebration discounted meals. The service charge will be based on the total Food and Beverage charges before any discounts have been applied. This provision does not apply to Disney Dining Experience and Disney Vacation Club. Effective January 1, 2008, the eighteen percent (18%) service charge for all existing and new package plans, including Disney Dining Plan, supplemental Food and/or Beverage purchased and consumed by the guest covered by the package plan will be discontinued. Effective January 1, 2008, an automatic gratuity of eighteen percent (18%) will be added for all guests on the Disney Dining Experience discount program, based on the retail value of the Food and Beverage.

The contract does not seem to mandate 18% on all meals, but perhaps this is a blanket above the contract instituted by the company?

So it is the UNION behind all of this.

Now it is on...

Let me just tell you all...if you see a fat guy who looks like the person in my avatar complaining to a manager in a table service restaurant in November, 2008, it is me.

I will NOT pay the 18% service charge/gratuity or whatever else they want to call it for substandard service.

I knew the union had its filthy hands in this. Its obvious that they want their members (and therefore union revenue) to increase higher than 18%. Not satisfied with the 18% that the mouse gave them (and the inability to sneak past the IRS by not reporting cash), the mouse decided to put it on the customer, and let the customer decide what is appropriate for gratuity.

Then this new rule comes up with a required 18% added? Seems like the union is hoping and praying that customers will either A) tip in cash so their members don't report it or B) that the customers will not realize its there and tip double.

Therefore, in light of the fact that a union is trying to pull more money from my pocket for less service, I will have the 18% tip either a) removed or b) substantially reduced from every table service meal that I plant my fat butt at.

Usually, I am a very heavy tipper..anywhere from 20% to 40% (yes 40%, I am very partial to servers, as there job is not always easy)...but sorry disney servers...your union has spoken for you and has shot you in the foot.

Big Labor screws it up again.

EDIT

Ok, now i feel stupid...I read a few posts back that this is not for the DDP...if this is so...then mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I still think its baloney that the tip is not inlcuded in the DDP...but now I will not feel upset about tipping my usual at TS restaurants, as my family and I use the DDP. Its all about forcing my hand...I will GIVE...but do not TAKE. Best of luck disney servers...I still think your union has hurt you...and will bet money that you will see a DECLINE in tips...bring that up to the next union meeting and be sure to tell the leadership "thanks a lot...for nothing."

DVC Mike

My only recourse (and what I will be doing) in the future is that I WILL:
....A) No longer look at WDW as an annual vacation destination
....B) Not purchase the DDP if/when I do vacation there
....C) Not be eating at ANY table service restaurants

While I'm sad you feel this way, on the bright side, this will mean the parks and restaurants will be less crowded when I go. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom