Disney Dining Experience Changes

MissM

I've been quickly losing interest in all table service dining on property. As a local, there are days when you wake up in the morning and think, 'Gee, it would be great to have dinner at Chef Mickey's tonight', ...
I hear ya. I don't do sit down. Ever really. Just because our trips out for the day are much more spur of the moment and not planned months in advance. And I realize there's a inherent perk to being able to head out for a day without airfare and such, but still... it'd be nice to take advantage of the dinning options now and again. But it truly is impossible with the "180 days in advance" type bookings. I was able to enjoy Le Cellier for my birthday but only because Love called two months ahead of time and was lucky enough to score an early lunch (he had wanted dinner.) But besides a birthday or set date, it's very hard to know months and months in advance like that. Very frustrating.

And adding in a mandatory tip just strikes me as a bit off. I'm a very solid tipper. I realize people have to live off of the generosity of others. And I realize that Disney of all places probably has the worst time with tips simply because of the diverse guests it attracts, many of whom aren't familiar with the concept. But I think more education about the nature of gratuity is what's needed, not mandatory tips added on. I agree that the whole situation has gotten quite poor and really a turn off from a local's viewpoint.
-m

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Don't think just the locals are getting tired of it. I loved being able to make the reservation and get in at your reservation time. More and More each year for the past 4 years we have been waiting 15,30,40,60, and in one case at Resturauntasaurus 78 minutes after OUR SCHEDULED CHECK IN TIME to get our table. That's after getting there the additional 10-15 minutes early each time.

We had 9 reservations last trip. We spend almost 4 hours waiting to be seated. That's half a park day WASTED.

We plan to scale back to 1, maybe 2 sit down meals from now on. Only at the 3-4 pm hour so we aren't stuck waiting pointlessly.

The checkin area of Boma these days resembles the boarding gate of a Southwest Airlines flight at an airport. Its packed!
It must be difficult for the CMs at these restaurants when they are running at 100% the entire time. By some mniracle, places like Boma have managed to maintain the quality - for now at least.

JimboJones123

Extra counter service capacity is already available. Two immedaitely spring to mind at MK, the closed Noodle station has huge capacity, and there is also El Pirata y el Perico.
Both offering GREAT alternative menues to Caseys, Tomorrowland (why can't I remember it), Pinocchio, CHH and Pecos Bills -- Which feature mainly the Fab 5 from above.

I can't count on fingers and toes of my whole household including pets the times I would have LOVED to have a Taco at MK. But seasonal means Fab 5 foods or bust.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Both offering GREAT alternative menues to Caseys, Tomorrowland (why can't I remember it), Pinocchio, CHH and Pecos Bills -- Which feature mainly the Fab 5 from above.

I can't count on fingers and toes of my whole household including pets the times I would have LOVED to have a Taco at MK. But seasonal means Fab 5 foods or bust.

Yep it's just a shame that they are both permanently closed now.

JimboJones123

The checkin area of Boma these days resembles the boarding gate of a Southwest Airlines flight at an airport. Its packed!
It must be difficult for the CMs at these restaurants when they are running at 100% the entire time. By some mniracle, places like Boma have managed to maintain the quality - for now at least.
Yeah, that was our 40 minute wait. There were people checking out when we were able to hit the buffet.

shoppingnut

How did you come to these facts? It would be really great to throw it out there:king:

I know some people who would easily make a scene in a restaurant if they felt it would get them heard (i.e. a result of band service combined with mandatory gratuity). This could get ugly before it gets better.

And I am one of those people who would have no problem complaining to the manager of a restaurant if I received poor/slow service. While I can tolerate some errors here and there, this will force me to become more intolerant of things.

I also have no problem LEAVING the property to go to restaurants that are much better and don't have crying children in them. There are many of these places.

PigletIsMyCat

It bugs me that they say they're giving you a 20% discount and then tack on the 18% gratuity too. They do that with the CM's too. My mom is a CM, and she's always complaining about how they really only give you a 2% discount and how she can't choose what to tip her servers.

On one hand I think it's great that Disney is able to keep all of us in the parks to eat, cause the more people spend at Disney, the more money (in theory, let's not get into this discussion) Disney has to spend on us by way of upgrades, new research and rides, etc. etc. On the other hand, it's getting near impossible to eat in any of the table service locations. I even got turned away at Biergarten as a walk up.

And there's the other problem: people habitually make ADR's, then don't show up for them, so there are technically open seats. Yet most of the restaurants will not allow you to 'stand by' for a dinner reservation because their computer says that theoretically, they are booked, even when you can see open tables and like five people waiting.

JimboJones123

Yep it's just a shame that they are both permanently closed now.
Very much so. Sorry to seem so upset about this whole dining thing. The snow ball has been rolling down the hill for quite some time now.

I refuse to go to WDW for less than 4 nights. Too many short trips are no fun.

I would love a two week trip where I didn't have to leave property.

I dread around the 7th day that feeling that I've been eating the same menu CONSTANTLY for the whole week. It would be like being able to eat only at Chili's. Sure, I'd be fine for about 3 days, then Chili's would get really old.

We actually got McDonalds fries on the last trip to have a break from that "Disney food" feel that everything there starts to get after a while (with the exeption of the All-You-Can-Eat Lunch/Dinner at Whispering Canyon -- That's good BBQ).

The thrill of Disney Dining -- which has become more important than the attractions to us -- is becoming something almost to avoid. It really saddens me.

PigletIsMyCat

And I am one of those people who would have no problem complaining to the manager of a restaurant if I received poor/slow service. While I can tolerate some errors here and there, this will force me to become more intolerant of things.

I also have no problem LEAVING the property to go to restaurants that are much better and don't have crying children in them. There are many of these places.

Two things: I agree with you, I too will have to become 'more intolerant' of poor service, instead of letting my tip do the talking. Secondly, please tell me WHERE you found restaurants off Disney property without screaming children? Because I can't find ANY. Applebee's and Chili's up on 27, a few miles West of Animal Kingdom: always seated near a screaming kid. Olive Garden by I-Drive: always surrounded by whiny children who throw things. Same goes for any restaurant I go to on 192. I have to drive to my friend's house in Tampa to find food in a child-free zone.

JimboJones123

If you go off property, then your spending as much in time an gas as you would just going to Jiko or Yachtsman's, which remain pretty quiet on the most part.

shoppingnut

Two things: I agree with you, I too will have to become 'more intolerant' of poor service, instead of letting my tip do the talking. Secondly, please tell me WHERE you found restaurants off Disney property without screaming children? Because I can't find ANY. Applebee's and Chili's up on 27, a few miles West of Animal Kingdom: always seated near a screaming kid. Olive Garden by I-Drive: always surrounded by whiny children who throw things. Same goes for any restaurant I go to on 192. I have to drive to my friend's house in Tampa to find food in a child-free zone.

Unfortunately, the restaurants without kids are more expensive, but the service is impeccable. Christini's www.christinis.com and it actually says on their website "please no INFANTS or toddlers." Morton's steak house is right there, Moonfish as well as many other nice looking restaurants that we want to try. These are all located on/off Sandlake Road in the Dr. Phillip's area.

shoppingnut

If you go off property, then your spending as much in time an gas as you would just going to Jiko or Yachtsman's, which remain pretty quiet on the most part.

Yes, but at Morton's I know there won't be kids. I've been in Jiko and right at the next table was a couple with their screaming infant in the carrier.

KingStefan

I agree with everyone saying that this takes away your choice to tip more or less. However, I have to say a few things:

First of all, when you are getting a discount, you should ALWAYS tip on the pre-discounted amount. This is just common courtesy. The waiter doesn't do any less work because you get a discount. So from that standpoint, the amount you would pay for decent service using DDE shouldn't change at all. If you have been tipping less when you use DDE, that's just not right, IMHO.

Second or all, even though I don't like it so much, I can kinda understand. The dollar is weak, which means more foreign visitors. I'll be that a lot of waiters are getting stiffed by foreign visitors, not because they're being mean or anything, but it's just that they are used to having service added automatically to their bill. I see it happen all the time at the airport. This one bartender I met could say "and service is not included, sir (or madame)" in like five different languages, and he still got stiffed ALL THE TIME.

Lastly, I don't know about Florida - but the laws are different in each state. I have heard of a law suit in (I think) New York, where someone got money back (plus damages) from a restaurant who would not take part of an automatic GRATUITY off the bill because the customer felt the service was bad. As I recall, the court ruled that if you print on the menu that a GRATUITY will be automatically added under certain circumstances (parties of more than 6, for example) that the customer can argue and is not required to pay it.

However, in this state (wherever it was - sorry I can't remember right now) if the restuarant had called it a SERVICE CHARGE, then the customer has to pay no matter what.

So it may depend on what Disney finally does when they print the warnings at the restaurant on the menu or elsewhere. In the announcement, apparently it clearly said GRATUITY, but we'll see.

DisneyMusician2

If I was tipping, I would tip pre-discount.

But a mandatory gratuity pre-discount is absurd. Then don't offer the discount. It's pointless.

nemobruce

However, in this state (wherever it was - sorry I can't remember right now) if the restuarant had called it a SERVICE CHARGE, then the customer has to pay no matter what.

I believe you are right about this, I am going to call the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation who govern the restaurant laws in Florida.

PigletIsMyCat

Unfortunately, the restaurants without kids are more expensive, but the service is impeccable. Christini's www.christinis.com and it actually says on their website "please no INFANTS or toddlers." Morton's steak house is right there, Moonfish as well as many other nice looking restaurants that we want to try. These are all located on/off Sandlake Road in the Dr. Phillip's area.

Ahh, I live on the other side of Disney, West of Animal Kingdom, so I haven't ventured quite that far in search of food. Although, maybe now I'll have to....

shoppingnut

ISecond or all, even though I don't like it so much, I can kinda understand. The dollar is weak, which means more foreign visitors. I'll be that a lot of waiters are getting stiffed by foreign visitors, not because they're being mean or anything, but it's just that they are used to having service added automatically to their bill. I see it happen all the time at the airport. This one bartender I met could say "and service is not included, sir (or madame)" in like five different languages, and he still got stiffed ALL THE TIME.

So why should I have to pay for their stupidity/ignorance. Now if I receive bad service, my only recourse is to argue with the restaurant manager. Also, why should I be paying an 18% tip at a buffet, that's just absurd because they in no way do as much work as someone at a regular restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom