Disney Diet Buddies...

Ariel484

Ran/Walked my first 5K today. :D The pace was not too great, I want to say I was about 14:00 or so which resulted in a 42min finish. But it was my first event EVER and I didn't train as hard in the past couple of weeks. I was glad I did it regardless and my attitude now is to train (really train) for another one. :)

My weight has stayed right about the same these past few weeks, which I guess isn't a bad thing. :shrug: I've kinda leveled off at 155 and I think my BMI is somewhere in the 22 range. I've been really busy these past two weeks with adding night classes to my schedule but I've been more conscious of what I'm eating. I had a bad couple of says where I was eating those d@mn Doritos tacos from Taco Bell. Those things are EVIL! Luckily I've pulled myself back on track.

Glad to see this thread going again!

Way to go, Erin! These races are addicting, no? :D Do you have your next race picked out?

BMI of 22 sounds really good...maybe this is your "happy weight"? :shrug:

OMG...I won't touch those Doritos tacos with a 10-foot pole. :lol: Nacho cheese Doritos were my FAVORITE growing up, so I feel like if I tried even one of those tacos I would be completely addicted. :eek:

Good luck with your night classes!! :wave:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Weight gain while running...this is pretty common, I think because you're burning more calories - so you are hungrier - and a lot of people (i.e. ME :wave:) get the attitude of "I just ran XX miles, now I get to eat all day!" I think this is part of the reason why I just had a small gain, because I was right in the middle of half marathon training and was hungrier. Have you been experiencing this?

OMG, that is so funny, I never even thought about it that way!! :ROFLOL: Could be, I suppose--looking back over my LoseIt log, I've been blowing up the calories for the past 4 weeks.

Ran/Walked my first 5K today. :D The pace was not too great, I want to say I was about 14:00 or so which resulted in a 42min finish. But it was my first event EVER and I didn't train as hard in the past couple of weeks. I was glad I did it regardless and my attitude now is to train (really train) for another one. :)

My weight has stayed right about the same these past few weeks, which I guess isn't a bad thing. :shrug: I've kinda leveled off at 155 and I think my BMI is somewhere in the 22 range. I've been really busy these past two weeks with adding night classes to my schedule but I've been more conscious of what I'm eating. I had a bad couple of says where I was eating those d@mn Doritos tacos from Taco Bell. Those things are EVIL! Luckily I've pulled myself back on track.

Glad to see this thread going again!

Congratulations!! :wave: I really enjoyed my first 5K two weeks ago with my co-workers. I found that I really liked the atmosphere, and did much better than my usual "run around the local 1/3 mile loop", I didn't even realize how boring that is until I hit a street course!

They are proposing that we all run another one in August, it's a charity run, 5K through Yankee Stadium. Not sure that running up and down stairs outdoors in August is such a great idea, but will see.

It is hard to stay on track when life gets busy...all we can do is try to make good choices when that happens! (and not beat ourselves up too badly for the occasional poor choice) ;)

Ariel484

OMG, that is so funny, I never even thought about it that way!! :ROFLOL: Could be, I suppose--looking back over my LoseIt log, I've been blowing up the calories for the past 4 weeks.

Yeah, just something to keep in mind I guess. :shrug: I think most people assume that once a person starts running, they will automatically lose a ton of weight. That was part of my motivation to start in the first place (get in shape for my wedding and all that), and I never really saw a change.

I know I've said this on this thread before, but from August - late December I only lost 4 pounds while training for the 2013 WDW Marathon (and during this time I was a vegetarian). The week of Christmas I bagged the vegetarianism and started WW, and over the next 4-month period I lost 20 pounds. So sadly enough, exercise along just doesn't cut it. :cry:

plaz10

So sadly enough, exercise along just doesn't cut it. :cry:

I think I pinned some quote on Pinterest that says "Abs are made in the kitchen" and I laughed but it's true. You can't pound half a pizza (guilty) and then run a few miles and expect it to go away.

I went to a work conference last weekend for 3 days and gained 3 lbs! I even went to the gym in our hotel. But being told when to eat and each meal being a buffet - definitely took its toll. So I've got some serious losing to do in the next 11 days before the beach. And I'll be going to our local theme park (Kennywood) TWICE in that time period. So hard to diet at theme parks...

diddy_mouse

Way to go, Erin! These races are addicting, no? :D Do you have your next race picked out?

Thanks, Shannon! I haven't decided when I'll run next. I know we have a Turkey Trot in my area in November, unless I find one sooner than that. :) I'm glad I have something for comparison when I do my next event. My next goal is to come in under 40min, say...35? I think I can do it!

Congratulations!! :wave: I really enjoyed my first 5K two weeks ago with my co-workers. I found that I really liked the atmosphere, and did much better than my usual "run around the local 1/3 mile loop", I didn't even realize how boring that is until I hit a street course!

They are proposing that we all run another one in August, it's a charity run, 5K through Yankee Stadium. Not sure that running up and down stairs outdoors in August is such a great idea, but will see.

It is hard to stay on track when life gets busy...all we can do is try to make good choices when that happens! (and not beat ourselves up too badly for the occasional poor choice) ;)

Thanks! :D And I definitely agree with you about the atmosphere. It wasn't competitive (unless you were in the 5min mile start) and everyone seemed to be having a good time out there. I was so used to running on a treadmill it was a great change finally hitting the pavement!

That Yankee Stadium run sounds interesting but I agree with you about stairs + August heat = :hammer::hurl:

enchanted_belle

Finished my first 10k over the weekend (yeah, I disappeared again... blame school!) in an hour and 28 minutes, with an average of 14:13 mile/minute. Which puts me in Disney time for the 10 mile race! Now to work on making it better (and getting back on my diet, uh oh).

diddy_mouse

Finished my first 10k over the weekend (yeah, I disappeared again... blame school!) in an hour and 28 minutes, with an average of 14:13 mile/minute. Which puts me in Disney time for the 10 mile race! Now to work on making it better (and getting back on my diet, uh oh).

Awesome job!! And congrats on the first 10K. I actually just finished reading your September PTR and I can't wait to read about *that* 10K!

So...I really need to get back on track with the whole exercise thing. Ever since my 5K I haven't been able to workout like I use to. Blame it on the fact I'm taking night classes now (studying to be a Medical Assistant :D) Funny thing is my diet is actually still doing pretty well. Go figure. #shrug

P.S. Oh! I got the results from the race a couple weeks ago, turns out I did better than I thought. Came in at 38:50.

sweetpee_1993

Congrats to all of you on your awesome progress & success! I guess someone has to be the slacker of the group. ((raises hand)) Guilty. I dunno. I lack motivation. Youda thunk those 6 lbs gained were 60. I havent run since vacation. I suppose I could blame it on the stress of packing and moving and all. That mess won't be I've with for a few more weeks yet. But still, I could get up earlier and run before bustin hiney all day. I'm just lazy. That stinks. And I'm so worried about after we get moved. Where will I run? It's a muuuuch bigger city/area (outside Houston by the space center). Will it be safe? I could go to the treadmill in the gym but I haaaaate treadmills. I keep seeing a paved running trail inside the perimeter fence for NASA. I wonder if the public can run on that. Guess I'll pull up to a gate and ask a guard in the coming weeks. Where do y'all run? What do you do to ensure safety? I mean, hello, I'm a girl running alone. Til now I ran in the mostly empty, unbuilt subdivision behind ours. It's right next to the regional airport runway. This area is much smaller, too, so I always felt safe even when running before the sun was up. Also, I always did the medical weight loss program at my doctors office with great success. I gotta find another place to do that. Eek! I hate hate haaaaate moving. Again. Ugh! The pits!

Okay. Enough whining. I'm so pathetic. Tell me I need to get my lazy butt up early for a change! I need to hear it!

Ooooohhh...I could sign up for one of those boot camp programs over there that I see on groupon. Has anyone ever done one?

Ariel484

That is awesome!! Way to go...it's got to be a great feeling knowing that you are under sweeper pace already.

Awesome job!! And congrats on the first 10K. I actually just finished reading your September PTR and I can't wait to read about *that* 10K!

So...I really need to get back on track with the whole exercise thing. Ever since my 5K I haven't been able to workout like I use to. Blame it on the fact I'm taking night classes now (studying to be a Medical Assistant :D) Funny thing is my diet is actually still doing pretty well. Go figure. #shrug

P.S. Oh! I got the results from the race a couple weeks ago, turns out I did better than I thought. Came in at 38:50.

Good luck with your classes, Erin. Congrats on those official 5k results!

Congrats to all of you on your awesome progress & success! I guess someone has to be the slacker of the group. ((raises hand)) Guilty. I dunno. I lack motivation. Youda thunk those 6 lbs gained were 60. I havent run since vacation. I suppose I could blame it on the stress of packing and moving and all. That mess won't be I've with for a few more weeks yet. But still, I could get up earlier and run before bustin hiney all day. I'm just lazy. That stinks. And I'm so worried about after we get moved. Where will I run? It's a muuuuch bigger city/area (outside Houston by the space center). Will it be safe? I could go to the treadmill in the gym but I haaaaate treadmills. I keep seeing a paved running trail inside the perimeter fence for NASA. I wonder if the public can run on that. Guess I'll pull up to a gate and ask a guard in the coming weeks. Where do y'all run? What do you do to ensure safety? I mean, hello, I'm a girl running alone. Til now I ran in the mostly empty, unbuilt subdivision behind ours. It's right next to the regional airport runway. This area is much smaller, too, so I always felt safe even when running before the sun was up. Also, I always did the medical weight loss program at my doctors office with great success. I gotta find another place to do that. Eek! I hate hate haaaaate moving. Again. Ugh! The pits!

Okay. Enough whining. I'm so pathetic. Tell me I need to get my lazy butt up early for a change! I need to hear it!

Ooooohhh...I could sign up for one of those boot camp programs over there that I see on groupon. Has anyone ever done one?

Well all ebb and flow. It happens...especially with a move on the horizon! Yikes.

Hmm...have you driven around your new area much yet? Are there trails nearby that you could drive to? You're right that the treadmill needs to be avoided. ;) I've heard of people carrying pepper spray (which would personally make me nervous) and airhorns for safety on runs.

As a morning exerciser, I will say that as much as it DOES suck to get up early, it's totally worth it. Just the act of getting out of bed is the toughest part for me, but once I'm up I am okay. I find that I really do have more energy if I get up early to run/work out and I LOVE knowing that I have gotten it in for the day. For me most of the motivation is to be able to get home earlier, rather than staying after work to do it. I do have trouble getting to bed as early as I should though. So get your lazy butt up early! :D LOL!

I've never done boot camp so I can't help you there...but no harm in trying it once, right?

----------------

I too am lacking in the motivation department. I weighed in last week and gained 2 pounds! :eek: I thought it wasn't a great week, but that's the worst week I've had since Christmas. BOO! It was certainly a wake-up call...I haven't been perfect since then but I've been better. As always, the exercise is not the problem for me, it's controlling what I eat. Life would be so much easier if I liked veggies more and sugar less. :(

Speaking of eating, we joined a local CSA a couple of weeks ago and love it. For $25 per week we get fresh food from local farms. We've tried lots of new-to-us stuff: kohlrabi (yum), collard greens (okay), kale (yum!) and swiss chard (eh). It's been a fun cooking adventure and has definitely helped us to start eating more veggies, which is something I was hoping to get out of this. Tonight is a stir fry with kale, bok choy, carrots, zucchini, snow peas and broccoli over brown rice. Hope it's good!

Also, I tried a new skinnytaste recipe this week...Baked Potato Soup (I had a head of cauliflower and green onions - in place of the chives - from the CSA to use). It was pretty good, but not my favorite from skinnytaste. Will really liked it.

enchanted_belle

Also, I tried a new skinnytaste recipe this week...Baked Potato Soup (I had a head of cauliflower and green onions - in place of the chives - from the CSA to use). It was pretty good, but not my favorite from skinnytaste. Will really liked it.

You should really just start finding recipes for me to try... I have so much trouble on my own, and then you always seem to find the best ones! lol.

--------------

So, I went away to a camp for the past week that's designed for kids with cancer and I was a counselor... Talk about a set back in the weight loss department! Ice cream for breakfast? Delicious in theory, horrible for your health. Came home yesterday, found myself in the gym today... and now printing out a new training schedule to follow from this week until Marathon Weekend in January. :eek: Apparently, being given ice cream for breakfast is a good motivation for me?

How's everyone else doing?!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Have any of you tried any barre workouts? Ive been looking at some DVDs and I'm having a tough time deciding which to go with. I thought maybe some of you may have given them a try and have some recommendations. :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Have any of you tried any barre workouts? Ive been looking at some DVDs and I'm having a tough time deciding which to go with. I thought maybe some of you may have given them a try and have some recommendations. :)

Have not tried any myself, but I understand that Tracey Mallett's barre DVDs are supposed to be very good.

enchanted_belle

I haven't even heard of them lol. I'll have to look them up tomorrow!

Eeyore

Premium Member
Have not tried any myself, but I understand that Tracey Mallett's barre DVDs are supposed to be very good.

I've looked at the Tracey Mallet DVDs- total new body is on my short list. I have 0 dance/ballet experience or knowledge but the workouts look great. I'm excited to try something new and hopefully finally tackle my real problem areas. Barre workouts seem to be all the rage right now. I hope that they aren't just all hype lol.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I get a lot of my workout DVDs from Collage Video, they take exercise DVDs seriously! While they do ship internationally, I'm sure you can do better purchasing DVDs locally, but check out their website, I'm sure you would appreciate the reviews, as most of the users are advanced exercisers like yourself, and maybe their input will be useful to you.

Link to a Tracey Mallett video (although not the one you mention) on their website: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/tracey-malletts-the-booty-barre-5959

Eeyore

Premium Member
I get a lot of my workout DVDs from Collage Video, they take exercise DVDs seriously! While they do ship internationally, I'm sure you can do better purchasing DVDs locally, but check out their website, I'm sure you would appreciate the reviews, as most of the users are advanced exercisers like yourself, and maybe their input will be useful to you.

Link to a Tracey Mallett video (although not the one you mention) on their website: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/tracey-malletts-the-booty-barre-5959

Thanks! :)

Eeyore

Premium Member
Tracey Mallet is a mean mean lady! She pretends to be nice but she's not. There's nothing like a new workout to put you in your place. For a workout with very little cardio it was really challenging. My arms were burning with 3 pound weight, its crazy! Its going to take awhile to get the form down and I'm not at all graceful but I'm going to try to fit it into my routine at least once a week. Its really long, but its broken down into sections so I may split it up a few times during the week rather than try to do the whole thing at once. As I get more familiar with the workout I can post a more detailed review if anyone is interested.

enchanted_belle

Tracey Mallet is a mean mean lady! She pretends to be nice but she's not. There's nothing like a new workout to put you in your place. For a workout with very little cardio it was really challenging. My arms were burning with 3 pound weight, its crazy! Its going to take awhile to get the form down and I'm not at all graceful but I'm going to try to fit it into my routine at least once a week. Its really long, but its broken down into sections so I may split it up a few times during the week rather than try to do the whole thing at once. As I get more familiar with the workout I can post a more detailed review if anyone is interested.
I would LOVE a detailed review!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom