Disney Diet Buddies...

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
While I have to second what you wrote about the skinny taste blog, I just have to say (even after the aspirational words I just wrote to Kelly)--just reading about your workouts wear me out!!! I do enjoy working out, but where do you find the time??? (I'm not putting you on the spot there, don't expect an answer, just expressing awe, and maybe a little dismay at my own paltry efforts) :wave:

I'm very fortunate (in some ways) to work mostly in the afternoons and evenings, so I make sure to get up early and get it done. It really is a challenge some days but I enjoy it and just don't feel good when I skip a workout. I figure most people come home from work at the end of the day and watch a movie or a few hours of tv, I just take that time in the AM to workout instead. The added energy I get from my workouts helps me to be more productive during the day and I feel like at times it helps me offset the time spent because I accomplish more throughout the day.

This is what works for me at this time in my life with the schedule I have, it certainly wouldn't work for everyone and it likely isn't always going to work for me, but really it only amounts to about 2 hours a day 6 days a week.

Ariel484

Well today was my first day with my Insanity/P90x 2 hybrid. I skipped my recovery workout and did a 5 mile run, P90X 2 total body and ab ripper. Tomorrow will be my first day with both an Insanity and X2 workout- wish me luck! I'm gonna need it!

I don't know who the first person was to mention the skinny taste blog but I want to thank you! I discounted it at first due to its name, I thought it was probably something along the lines of the Hungry Girl (who uses lots of processed and packaged foods in her "recipes"). I was so surprised to see sophisticated, fresh and healthy recipes. I've made a few already and we are totally hooked! Thanks!!!

...YOWZA. You're a beast! :lol:

And yes, SkinnyTaste is SO GOOD. I need to pick out a new recipe from her to make this week.

...So my weight on Monday was 173.8 which is 2 more lbs. than what my scale says. :mad: I'm not sure what's up with the old bod. May be TMI but I really think it's playing a part in why the weight is lingering.....the usual visit from the Hormone Fairy is well overdo. Don't go thinking "Oooh! Baby!" Uh, no. Not happening. I took my old dog down and had him neutered years back because we are completely finished. Maybe it's the new, healthy diet. Maybe it's the diet pills messin' with me (which has never happened before). Maybe my screwy hormone routine is back after behaving for 10 years. Could be stress. I've been waiting for something to happen for well over a week anticipating the big drop in weight because that's usually when I get the big kick with a significant drop in pounds. And I'm still waiting.... Frustrating!!!! Grrrr!!!!! :mad: Never thought I'd wish for the Hormone Fairy to come bless me. :lol:

Keep going and don't get discouraged! I honestly think that weight loss in smaller increments is healthier overall and much more easier to manage in the long run. I know that you mention running, but do you do any light weight training? After I initially lost 15 lbs 4 years ago I hit a serious plateau and weight training helped me drop another 10 lbs without blinking an eye. I only lift with 5-8 lb hand weights and sometimes with 10 lb weights. I love it, and I love seeing my body tone up in the process.

I think Rachel's on to something about the weights. I think it's really supposed to help boost your metabolism. As for the scale, don't sweat it. Our bodies do weird things sometimes. :shrug: And scales in different locations (your house vs. the doctor's office) can be calibrated differently, which is frustrating. One thing I wish I could motivate myself to do is to measure inches...I'm sure I'd see a difference there if it didn't necessarily register on the scale. Too lazy though! :lol: :rolleyes: But in all seriousness, measuring your progress on the scale alone is frustrating.

I weighed in this morning and lost 1.6 pounds! :sohappy: That makes up for last week's small Week of Cake gain.

So I'm starting to think about what my ultimate goal weight should be...I want it to be something I can actually maintain, but I don't want to sell myself short either, if that makes any sense. When I first started this I asked my doctor if she could give me a number to shoot for, and I'm 5 pounds away from it right now. That would give me a BMI of 23.6, but I think I'd like for it to be more like 22.5 (right in the middle of healthy range) - that's 12 pounds from where I am now. I dunno...I sort of hate that I'm focusing so much on BMI because I KNOW it's not necessarily always the right way to gauge one's health...but I guess it's right for most people?! :shrug: Having said that, it does feel good to have a healthy BMI at this point.

Have a great weekend, ladies! :wave:

emcclay

I have been lurking this thread for a while looking for great tips. Weight has always been a struggle for me. Ballet may or may not have something to do with this- always thought I was the biggest one in my class. Of course, when I look back at pictures, that was not the case. I was really in shape then! I ended up leaving ballet for a very, very dumb reason. As a result of that, I fell out of the "shape" I used to be :lol: Next month, I'll be purchasing Power 90. Hoping to move onto P90x afterwards. It will be exciting to make positive changes in my life. :sohappy:

Now, on to pinning SkinnyTaste recipes to my Pinterest..

sweetpee_1993

I have been lurking this thread for a while looking for great tips. Weight has always been a struggle for me. Ballet may or may not have something to do with this- always thought I was the biggest one in my class. Of course, when I look back at pictures, that was not the case. I was really in shape then! I ended up leaving ballet for a very, very dumb reason. As a result of that, I fell out of the "shape" I used to be :lol: Next month, I'll be purchasing Power 90. Hoping to move onto P90x afterwards. It will be exciting to make positive changes in my life. :sohappy:

Now, on to pinning SkinnyTaste recipes to my Pinterest..

You sound like my niece! She's 15 and has been in ballet since she was maybe 3 or 4. She's so talented...been in senior company since she was 11 or 12. She's not built like all the other tall, slender girls around her. My brother tells me she's really struggled with the self-image stuff and has many times come very close to quitting over it all. I'm glad she's stuck with it, tho. We keep telling her the shape has nothing to do with the talent, the strength, and the determination. She gets the best of both worlds: all the best parts in her performances in a frame that most guys prefer. :lol:

Post with us some more! Let us know how you're doing! And if you come across good recipes, share! :slurp:

emcclay

You sound like my niece! She's 15 and has been in ballet since she was maybe 3 or 4. She's so talented...been in senior company since she was 11 or 12. She's not built like all the other tall, slender girls around her. My brother tells me she's really struggled with the self-image stuff and has many times come very close to quitting over it all. I'm glad she's stuck with it, tho. We keep telling her the shape has nothing to do with the talent, the strength, and the determination. She gets the best of both worlds: all the best parts in her performances in a frame that most guys prefer. :lol:

Post with us some more! Let us know how you're doing! And if you come across good recipes, share! :slurp:

I miss it so much! Once I get into shape, I plan on taking a few classes here and there. Ballet can definitely give you a skewed perspective on what the "ideal" body is. Getting denied from summer intensives was my forte because in their eyes I could afford to lose an extra 10 pounds. It was disheartening getting the smile and a "try again next year" letter. Yet, all the way too skinny girls I was in class with were getting the thick envelopes in the mail. Luckily, I found a great program in Providence, RI that did not judge me based on my "extra" weight. The two summers I spent there ended up being the best time I ever had while dancing. If she is looking into summer programs, tell her to look into Festival Ballet Providence. Housing is on the campus of Rhode Island School of Design. Down the street, there are a bunch of shops and restaurants. The giant mall is also within walking distance. When I was there, we took day trips to see various dance companies in Saratoga Springs, NY and Jacob's Pillow in MA. In addition to those trips, we went to the beaches in Newport, attended parties held by benefactors of the company, and watched the fireworks on the green by the mall. I always felt safe there and it was mandatory we went out in groups, never alone. The faculty and guest teachers are phenomenal and FBP has a professional company in house.

Anyways :) I will definitely be keeping up with this thread and posting recipes that I find :wave:

Eeyore

Premium Member
How's everyone doing? :wave: I'm half way through my second week of insanity and p90x 2. It's going pretty well so far and it hasn't been too tough to fit all the extra conditioningworkouts into my schedule. I actually feel a lot better, even with just one week off I really missed the strength training. My workouts feel much more balanced now.

enchanted_belle

How's everyone doing? :wave: I'm half way through my second week of insanity and p90x 2. It's going pretty well so far and it hasn't been too tough to fit all the extra conditioningworkouts into my schedule. I actually feel a lot better, even with just one week off I really missed the strength training. My workouts feel much more balanced now.

I've been off the wagon since my weighin last week. Had 8 different projects due this week, so I lsot all of my focus on reality with it (and am paying now, trust me! haha). But, got back to the running last night and it felt good, so I'm happy. Gonna start getting back into the strenght here soon too... and thinking about considering p90x, but I'm still a little nervous about actually trying it lol.

emcclay

I've been off the wagon since my weighin last week. Had 8 different projects due this week, so I lsot all of my focus on reality with it (and am paying now, trust me! haha). But, got back to the running last night and it felt good, so I'm happy. Gonna start getting back into the strenght here soon too... and thinking about considering p90x, but I'm still a little nervous about actually trying it lol.

Try Power 90! Lots of people use it as an intro to p90x.

Eeyore

Premium Member

Try Power 90! Lots of people use it as an intro to p90x.

I agree power 90 is a great place to start if you don't feel ready for P90x.

Chalene Extreme is also a great program. It's similar in concept to P90x but is less intense and seems to be specifically geared toward women- no pull ups! Most of the workouts are under 45 minutes. I really enjoyed the program and got some really great muscle tone from it. You'd need a set of weights (up to 25-30 lbs) and a lower body resistence band. It works on the concept of increasing muscle mass to burn more fat. Its a really good program, I highly recommend it.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Reason to Stick With It

I love this excerpt from my Collage Video e-newsletter that I just had to share it:

Exercise really does increase brainpower

Anecdotal evidence has long suggested that physical activity can improve mental functioning. Now, a recent study reported in the New York Times Magazine has proven it.

Scientists at the University of Illinois started with four randomly selected groups of rats. One group had an exercise wheel. One had various "mentally stimulating" toys. The third group had both, while the last group had neither. After several months, the four sets of rats were tested for brain tissue development and cognitive ability (e.g. navigating a maze).

The researchers had expected the "toys" groups to do best because the toys were directly focused on mental development. But that's not what happened. Toys, or lack of toys, seemed to have no effect at all. Instead, it was physical exercise that made all the difference!

Justin S. Rhodes, the lead scientist explained it this way: "Only one thing mattered, and that's whether they had a running wheel." Animals that didn't run — no matter how enriched their world was otherwise — did not improve their brainpower. "They loved the toys, but unless they exercised, they did not become smarter."

Just something to think about the next time you're debating between a crossword puzzle and a workout video!​

Wow! I'm still going to tackle the Times' crossword puzzle every day, ;) but I'll know that it's my morning workout video that helps me do them!!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'm very fortunate (in some ways) to work mostly in the afternoons and evenings, so I make sure to get up early and get it done. It really is a challenge some days but I enjoy it and just don't feel good when I skip a workout. I figure most people come home from work at the end of the day and watch a movie or a few hours of tv, I just take that time in the AM to workout instead. The added energy I get from my workouts helps me to be more productive during the day and I feel like at times it helps me offset the time spent because I accomplish more throughout the day.

This is what works for me at this time in my life with the schedule I have, it certainly wouldn't work for everyone and it likely isn't always going to work for me, but really it only amounts to about 2 hours a day 6 days a week.

I can see how your work schedule would certainly enable you to get in your long workouts. I totally agree with your philosophy about sitting on the couch in the evening; if I had that kind of time in the mornings, I would certainly do more exercise!! As it is, you do as much in a single day as I do in a whole week. :) Although, now that I'm trying to take up running, that's adding another two hours a week--sometimes it's tough to squeeze it in, but I try to remind myself that "I'm worth it" (so much more applicable to being fit than coloring one's hair, if anyone else recognizes the old L'Oreal advert)

I think Rachel's on to something about the weights. I think it's really supposed to help boost your metabolism. As for the scale, don't sweat it. Our bodies do weird things sometimes. :shrug: And scales in different locations (your house vs. the doctor's office) can be calibrated differently, which is frustrating. One thing I wish I could motivate myself to do is to measure inches...I'm sure I'd see a difference there if it didn't necessarily register on the scale. Too lazy though! :lol: :rolleyes: But in all seriousness, measuring your progress on the scale alone is frustrating.

I have to agree about the weights. I have a few sets of dumbbells, and use them several mornings a week.

In fact, lately I've noticed the number on the scale creeping up a pound or two, yet my pants are practically falling off me today, so I wonder if it's safe to assume I've put on some muscle? :lol:

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

diddy_mouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I love finding muscles I didn't know I had. And I completely agree with everyone says about adding weights into the workout. Even though I'm not rapidly losing pounds (think I've plateaued on the weight loss) my hips and thighs are taking shape.

Still trying to get on the treadmill three times a week but this past week was hard and I missed some opportunities. I try to at least get in 2mi each time I'm on though.

sweetpee_1993

Life has been so incredibly hectic leading up to this cruise trip! I've missed my buddies!

So, life being busy I sorta fell off the hardcore routine the last 2 weeks. I only ran 1 day last week (Thursday) and 1 this week (Tuesday). I thought Tuesday would kill me because I laid off so long. I headed out and just ran. I was so relaxed. It was odd. I was half done with my half hour before I remembered "Oh yeah, this is work." It was cool. Had a great run. Still totally amazed how second nature it felt.

Went in for my monthly weigh & measure this morning. I knew I had lost some but the doctors office scale is never as nice as the scale at home. Stepped up and low-n-behold I have dropped 6 lbs in 10 days! My measurements showed a big change, too. From a month ago to today I lost 2 inches in my waist and 2 inches in my hips. Total weight lost for the month is right at 12 lbs. Amazing! I was shocked! And happy!!!! When I left the doctors office & got in the elevator I did a happy dance and cheered!!! :sohappy:

Gonna be bustin a hump getting ready to go at the end of the weekend. Wanted to come share my good news and take a moment to thank you all for your support & kindness. You've all helped keep me going when I felt like throwing in the towel. So thank you. I didn't make it all the way to my goal of 165 lbs but I'm within 3 lbs of it. Not going to complain. It definitely gets harder to work off excess weight as you get older. I like to think it takes the determination of us girls who've been around a little longer. :animwink:

Eeyore

Premium Member
Life has been so incredibly hectic leading up to this cruise trip! I've missed my buddies!

So, life being busy I sorta fell off the hardcore routine the last 2 weeks. I only ran 1 day last week (Thursday) and 1 this week (Tuesday). I thought Tuesday would kill me because I laid off so long. I headed out and just ran. I was so relaxed. It was odd. I was half done with my half hour before I remembered "Oh yeah, this is work." It was cool. Had a great run. Still totally amazed how second nature it felt.

Went in for my monthly weigh & measure this morning. I knew I had lost some but the doctors office scale is never as nice as the scale at home. Stepped up and low-n-behold I have dropped 6 lbs in 10 days! My measurements showed a big change, too. From a month ago to today I lost 2 inches in my waist and 2 inches in my hips. Total weight lost for the month is right at 12 lbs. Amazing! I was shocked! And happy!!!! When I left the doctors office & got in the elevator I did a happy dance and cheered!!! :sohappy:

Gonna be bustin a hump getting ready to go at the end of the weekend. Wanted to come share my good news and take a moment to thank you all for your support & kindness. You've all helped keep me going when I felt like throwing in the towel. So thank you. I didn't make it all the way to my goal of 165 lbs but I'm within 3 lbs of it. Not going to complain. It definitely gets harder to work off excess weight as you get older. I like to think it takes the determination of us girls who've been around a little longer. :animwink:

Wow, 6 pounds in 10 days, that's phenomenal! Way to go! :sohappy:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Great news Kelly!! :sohappy: That's an achievement! I'm sure you'll be able to really relax and enjoy your cruise, yet those 3lbs will keep you from going hog-wild on the bounty of food at sea ;)

Have a great time, I'm already looking forward to Sept 2013!

diddy_mouse

Have a great time on your cruise, Kelly! You've put in a huge amount of work and you have every right to enjoy yourself. :) Awesome awesome job!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom