Disney considering a new World Showcase pavilion BY REMOVING AN EXISTING COUNTRY?!?!

UnrealFire

There is room for seven more countries without removing a single one. They probably just want to see which country is the least-liked. Don't worry about them removing a country yet... it's just market research (which I do for a living).

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Crazy but honestly what country could be removed and have the smallest impact on your experience? I would say Morocco but who the hell needs the outpost?
Isn't that another place you can grab a beer on your trek of Drinking Around the World? :lookaroun

I sure liked the Outpost on my last trip! :lol:

aladdin2007

I think and hope too its just to see on ways they could improve whats there, and at the same time see what people would like to see added. I would love to be asked to do that survey!

Maybe they are thinking they could start approaching particular countries and companies out of specific responses from the survey. But I dont see TDO working that hard. Or is that up to Imagineering and TDO has no say so??

They have already butchered futureworld, Spaceship Earth was the nail in the coffin for me. Hopefully they arent going to start this junk in World showcase by retheming a country to a different one to save a buck, and then just go half way and not even finish it!!

TP2000

I vote to get rid of Morocco. It's boring, and the food served there is not easy on the palate. Germany or Italy would be my second choice for removal.

I'd like to see a country from the Pacific Rim added. New Zealand, Chile, Peru, or maybe something Southeast Asian like Thailand. But defininetly get away from the European and UN Security Council countries that only seemed exotic back in the 1970's.

peterpanic74

I vote to get rid of Morocco. It's boring, and the food served there is not easy on the palate.

It's not? Do you mean "it's bad" or it's too "exotic"? Cause it's certainly not the latter. Can't speak for Restaurant Marrakesh, but I like Tangerine Cafe a LOT!

As to the main question, I think it would be utterly foolish to remove ANYTHING from WS. Plenty of expansion pads, no reason to tear anything down. Except the Outpost!

Wilt Dasney

If Disney DID decide to get rid of a WS pavilion, which approach do you think would be more likely? Going into the numbers and determining which pavilion sells the least merchandise and food, attracts the fewest visitors, etc. — or asking guests to VOTE on what comes out (and thereby publicly revealing their intent to remove something before any decision has been made)?

I might end up with egg on my face a week from now, but I think some of you guys have been punked on this one. :lol:

rkelly42

This would not make sense. It would cost more to tear down an existing pavillion and rebuild a new one than to just start from scratch. It would be very difficult to just say (not saying I want this) take Morroco and make Russia out of it, or take Germany and turn it into Brazil? I would gather it is just Disney doing their homework on what pavillions need more attention and what people would be interested in seeing come to Epcot.

WDWFigment

This doesn't make any financial sense.

Why would you demo a whole pavilion when you have empty plots all over the WS?

If TDO really are the greedy, puppy-burners that everyone claims they are, they would be looking for the cheapest way to expand capacity. Razing a whole pavilion and replacing it is not that.

It is possible the first question is to judge where the interest lies and the second is to see what pavilion could use improvements to attract more visitors.

By phrasing the question as a definitive, you are more likely to get a focused response. If the question is, "Which pavilion kinda sucks?" you'll get a smattering of personal opinion, but if it is, "Which one would you like to see destroyed?" elicits a stronger, more pointed response.

Without seeing the actual text of the question it is hard to speculate what the intent is.

Let me preface this by saying I don't think this rumor is true (for the reasons following the next quote). I think it could make financial sense, though. I think your conclusions rest upon the premise that Disney wants to expand capacity in EPCOT. Does Disney? (I don't know the answer to this, just posing the question). It seems most, if not all, of the major recent EPCOT additions replaced existing attractions. If Disney truly cared about expanding capacity, why not add at those times?

The benefits (as I see them, at least), in razing an attraction and building a new one are: 1) you don't incur the substantial cost of hiring additional Cast Members to staff and maintain the added attractions, and 2) you bring in new/repeat guests to visit the new experience. Now point 2 obviously would result regardless of whether they expanded capacity or replaced an attraction, so it's not unique to replacement, but if the only concern is attracting new/repeat guests with a new offering, it seems replacement would be the better route.

Put another way, I don't think any actions taken by Disney suggest any desire to expand the capacity of EPCOT (when is the last time EPCOT had its capacity increased...probably sometime in the 1980s, right?). Although I can't provide exact numbers, I would think the long term expense of replacing an attraction is much cheaper than adding an attraction on an unused plot.

Maybe there's something I'm missing that totally defeats my argument...

If Disney DID decide to get rid of a WS pavilion, which approach do you think would be more likely? Going into the numbers and determining which pavilion sells the least merchandise and food, attracts the fewest visitors, etc. — or asking guests to VOTE on what comes out (and thereby publicly revealing their intent to remove something before any decision has been made)?

I might end up with egg on my face a week from now, but I think some of you guys have been punked on this one. :lol:

This is why I think the Screamscape piece misses the point, misunderstands the survey, or something of that sort. Like jakeman said, the phrasing of the question makes a difference, and it wouldn't surprise me if the person taking the survey read one thing and remembered another.

RSoxNo1

It's not? Do you mean "it's bad" or it's too "exotic"? Cause it's certainly not the latter. Can't speak for Restaurant Marrakesh, but I like Tangerine Cafe a LOT!

As to the main question, I think it would be utterly foolish to remove ANYTHING from WS. Plenty of expansion pads, no reason to tear anything down. Except the Outpost!

Yeah this is purely a matter of opinion. I'm not a fan of the quick service in Morroco, and as a result I've never tried out the table service. However, I may be one of the few people on here, that doesn't hate Nine Dragons.

Very few things in the parks should be removed right now, when they have so much room for expansion. Add to the existing offerings, don't replace the existing offerings.

hokielutz

If the survey was/is real.... the first to go on my list would be Morocco.

Now I've seen the idea floated a couple of times in this thread... but I am left shaking my head wondering why you would want to get rid of Germany? Especially when you are on a drinking tour of the countries. Where else can you get a 1+ liter mug of beer in one sitting?

aladdin2007

Yeah this is purely a matter of opinion. I'm not a fan of the quick service in Morroco, and as a result I've never tried out the table service. However, I may be one of the few people on here, that doesn't hate Nine Dragons.

Very few things in the parks should be removed right now, when they have so much room for expansion. Add to the existing offerings, don't replace the existing offerings.

Agree, us too. We love Nine Dragons, much improved now and its comfortable, easy to get into, and for the most part even though can become very packed, they dont rush you like some of the other locations.

Pete C

Wow, Morocco is by far the most interesting and elaborate pavillion IMO. It also has the best quick-service too, which goes to show you how tastes differ. Which to remove? Easy...America. Why do we need an American pavillion in the world showcase when we are already IN America. It doesn't even host a sit-down restaurant, which would also be pointless since everywhere else has American food already. Call me unpatriotic, but I would easily get rid of this first since I go to the WS to see other cultures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom