Disney considering a new World Showcase pavilion BY REMOVING AN EXISTING COUNTRY?!?!

redkoala245

If the Outpost place is considered a country, that would be my answer to the one I like the least. It's a waste of space and Animal Kingdom already has that Outpost kind of theme.
Otherwise I don't think they need to remove any of the main countries. I love them all. Germany has nothing but I think Germany needs some sort of attraction.
I don't really understand why there is an American Pavillion and Epcot is in America. All there is in America is that quick service restaurant and the American Adventure.

UnrealFire

If the Outpost place is considered a country, that would be my answer to the one I like the least. It's a waste of space and Animal Kingdom already has that Outpost kind of theme.
Otherwise I don't think they need to remove any of the main countries. I love them all. Germany has nothing but I think Germany needs some sort of attraction.
I don't really understand why there is an American Pavillion and Epcot is in America. All there is in America is that quick service restaurant and the American Adventure.

Well, technically, the pavilion is never called "America". It is always referred to as the American Adventure even on the signs across the lake with the names of each country. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the pavilion wasn't originally planned to be part of the World Showcase in its current position. It was supposed to overlook the other countries from the opposite side of the lake.

bugsbunny

Well, technically, the pavilion is never called "America". It is always referred to as the American Adventure even on the signs across the lake with the names of each country. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the pavilion wasn't originally planned to be part of the World Showcase in its current position. It was supposed to overlook the other countries from the opposite side of the lake.

It was originally going to be where the archway is right there out in front so you would go through it first before any other country. But since you are really already in America, why have you visit America first? So they moved it all the way across.

And let's all remember on thing about Disney's recent methodology for doing ANYTHING these days. If they cannot get "buy in" from an outside 3rd party, they don't seem to want to spend a nickel on ANYTHING. There is NO WAY they would get rid of a country in Epcot unless they first LOST a sponsor and that would determine which country would go away.

Then, it would require a country to want to sponsor a new section of Epcot before Disney would make any plans. Sorry, but Disney is about making money more than guest immersion anymore. They simply aren't going to build anything new of that scale unless they got a payday waiting for them.

Does anyone actually doubt that? If so, look no further than this...why haven't they built any new countries in a decade or two??

Pete C

Yes, yes, yes!

I don't get all the Morocco hate! From a strictly objective viewpoint, Morocco is no worse off then Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, or Japan. All those countries lack an attraction, just like Morocco, and in fact, if you really want to analyze it, Germany, Italy, and the UK are worse off. Why? Morocco has full counter and table service restaurants, numerous shops, an exhibit area, and regular daily entertainment both inside Restaurant Marrakesh and along the promenade. Currently, Germany and Italy only have table service with no counter option (yes, Germany has a pretzel and dessert stand, but thats hardly full counter service) and the UKs counter service only serves Fish n Chips. Germany's entertainment is usually limited to inside the restaurant, and Italy has been spotty with its daily offering, sometimes having nothing.

Morocco also has an exhibit area that Germany, Italy, and the UK lack. Not to mention, Morocco is much more detailed and authentic in terms of layout and architecture. So, when you look at the facts, Morocco is far from the weakest pavilion in World Showcase. Sure, it could use plussing, but just because a majority of this country can't find it on a map, or that some Epcot visitors decide its not worth their time to explore the pavilion, does not mean it needs to disappear from World Showcase. :brick:

I totally agree about Morocco...amazing pavilion.

Anyway, are you talking about the pretzel stand right outside of Germany? Germany does have counter service with bratwurst, schnitzel, beer right next to the Beergarten entrance called Sommerfest. Personally, I think they need to turn the Beergarten into exactly that...a place to drink beer, eat pretzels, enjoy the atmosphere, and order food if you want. Just like in Germany. Get rid of the reservations there.

I like Morocco. Yeah its not as busy, but that changes once the belly dancer shows up and girls who had too much to drink at the other countries start hanging out in the fountain.

I'd rather no pavilion bites the dust, but Norway bores me. I wouldn't mind as much. Needs an update. But, I'd prefer if they all stay.

MAGICFLOP

After you pass China you go over the bridge and you are at the Out Post (aka africa). then after you leave the outpost you head toward Germany...

stichnariel

there is a lot of country's that would be nice to see i agree about the outpost as well my wife said she hopes its not Morocco they have her favorite drink's there

BalooChicago

I wonder if to some extent the survey is about strong arming existing countries to pony up more money/refurbish their existing pavilions?

Tazer19

there is a lot of country's that would be nice to see i agree about the outpost as well my wife said she hopes its not Morocco they have her favorite drink's there

Morocco Margaritas are my favorite:sohappy:

If we went down there and my gf realized there were no more Morocco Margaritas or Sangria, all hell might break loose.

Between the ambiance, food and drink, Morocco is definitely our favorite.

ejeremy98

I could see this happening with Morocco though, since Americans in general aren't too up on geography. If it's not Europe, many people regard it with suspicion.

Maybe you aren't too up on geography because if we use your argument china, japan, mexico, and canada could just as easily be on the chopping block...

If Morocco were to be removed, which is highly unlikely, it's far more reasonable to think that it's because, like Italy, it has no decent attractions except for a restaurant.

I highly doubt any of this is true though, if they are going to spend the money on Epcot, it would probably be to enhance current countries than demolish current only to replace.

docandsix

What a horrible idea.

That this is being floated is probably a reliable indication that it's been proposed or considered by TDO. (Can any "insiders" dispute that?)

If so, then maybe it's time to lose all faith in Disney. The room for expansion is obvious to everyone, and the sense of demolition and reconstruction is obscure, at best. Fans have been clamoring for a new nation in World Showcase for years, and they would be the target audience for any expansion. Only they, and not the casual, once-in-a-generation visitor, would acknowledge the significance of a new nation along the lagoon. But their enthusiasm would be tempered, if not completely abrogated, by the symbolism of corporate stinginess and of creative constipation represented by replacing an older pavilion with a new one, rather than simply adding.

This would be the equivalent of offering a child a spectacular Christmas present, but only in exchange for his cherished birthday gift from a few months back--absolutely insane. The money is already spent on the older toy, which may have lost some of its magic, but still warrants the love of something comfortable, familiar, and irreplaceable. What's the sense of abandoning it when the cost of replacement would only add to the expense of new construction?

aladdin2007

That this is being floated is probably a reliable indication that it's been proposed or considered by TDO. (Can any "insiders" dispute that?)

If so, then maybe it's time to lose all faith in Disney. The room for expansion is obvious to everyone, and the sense of demolition and reconstruction is obscure, at best. Fans have been clamoring for a new nation in World Showcase for years, and they would be the target audience for any expansion. Only they, and not the casual, once-in-a-generation visitor, would acknowledge the significance of a new nation along the lagoon. But their enthusiasm would be tempered, if not completely abrogated, by the symbolism of corporate stinginess and of creative constipation represented by replacing an older pavilion with a new one, rather than simply adding.

This would be the equivalent of offering a child a spectacular Christmas present, but only in exchange for his cherished birthday gift from a few months back--absolutely insane. The money is already spent on the older toy, which may have lost some of its magic, but still warrants the love of something comfortable, familiar, and irreplaceable. What's the sense of abandoning it when the cost of replacement would only add to the expense of new construction?

It is a horrible idea and TDO may be dumb and shallow enough to consider it but if they actually implemented it there would be an outcry. Those pavilions are part of the historical fabric of Epcot, even Morocco and Norway which came later. Certainly and hopefully Burbank would step in and say so no way, plenty of room to finally use one of the expansion pads instead. Im still hoping its just a survey to see what can be improved instead of changing one out all together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom