Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Nostalgic Reverie

Rumor now - Jones 5 on hold for production of SW VII (thought IJ5 had been on hold since the Summer or never was rolling plot wise) - Harrison Ford?.....good luck with that. Should make for some good dramatic, anti Han Solo interviews with Ford.....right up until he is offered 20 mil for the part.

Stevek

Where or when did Lucas say that? He never said anything officially about any movies after ROTJ, when he was asked about he always answered, that the Saga will be finished with the Return of the Jedi.

At one point there was a plan/outline for 12 movies. This was posted on the official Star Wars blog following yesterday's announcement, complete with pics of George's original notes. Now, it did change over time and became a set of two trilogies but the intention for 12 was there. In 1979 during the filming of Empire, he still stated there were going to be 9 films.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/in...-shapeshifting-trail-to-episodes-vii-viii-ix/

powlessfamily4

Ohh if we all only had the patience to just wait and see instead of manufacturing scenarios so we can say I told you so later... ;)

I am crossing fingers for a Star Wars / Marvel park ....the marvel side can be extreme coasters... yeah just a fantasy thought.

Stevek

I hope that nothing from the so-called Expanded Universe will be part of the new movie.
And that the new movie takes place in the timeline of the original episodes either between the trilogies or after ROTJ.

I've literally read every book and comic from the EU and while I don't want them using any direct storylines, I would welcome the inclusion of some characters. It will be interesting to see if Disney even bothers to try to fit these new movies within the canon of the EU.

sublimesting

At one point there was a plan/outline for 12 movies. This was posted on the official Star Wars blog following yesterday's announcement, complete with pics of George's original notes. Now, it did change over time and became a set of two trilogies but the intention for 12 was there. In 1979 during the filming of Empire, he still stated there were going to be 9 films.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/in...-shapeshifting-trail-to-episodes-vii-viii-ix/
True this is. I was on theforce.net all morning and people had plenty of links etc. to old articles and recent articles where Lucas wanted to continue on after this. At the very least he has books of notes written about continuing the story.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
True this is. I was on theforce.net all morning and people had plenty of links etc. to old articles and recent articles where Lucas wanted to continue on after this. At the very least he has books of notes written about continuing the story.

Aww man. That reminds me. Guess I'll have to dust off my (very-long dormant) theforce.net login info. I wonder if I even have my old login info anymore...

Yup, look at that. Still works.
Man, what I needed was another forum to spend all my time in.
D&*M YOU DISNEY! :p

Spike-in-Berlin

I've literally read every book and comic from the EU and while I don't want them using any direct storylines, I would welcome the inclusion of some characters. It will be interesting to see if Disney even bothers to try to fit these new movies within the canon of the EU.

Some characters would be interesting, I agree.

Spike-in-Berlin

BTW I really hope that they will NOT repeat the mistake the Harry Potter producers did when they changed the composer of the movies score from John Willams first to Patrick Doyle who still at least used several themes from Williams but then even worse to Hooper, who was already far less talented and finally to that french guy who's name I forgot who was finally rock bottom.

Star Wars movies are only allowed to have ONE composer: John Williams and if they change that I will not watch the movie in a cinema.

Calvin Coolidge

Remember: Wizarding World of Harry Potter doesn't take up that much real estate, but it's still a draw that people are structuring their vacations around. A big roll-out of a "Star Wars Land" that takes up, say, half of Echo Lake at DHS, including where Sounds Dangerous, Indiana Jones, and Backlot Express are now, plus Star Tours staying put, would be a huge national media story. There's actually a lot of space there (Epic Stunt Spectacular takes up a TON of space). It would be enough room for an immersive land, the size of WWHP or Carsland or FE. This could be the shot in the arm DHS needs, and it could raise attendance enough to justify further spending on the park.

Magenta Panther

So here's the silver lining of this otherwise wrong-headed purchase: if Disney can somehow come up with new SW characters that are an engaging as the original foursome: Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca and Han Solo. That, at least, would involve actual creativity and would be a real accomplishment, akin to adding Jiminy Cricket into the world of Pinocchio. If Disney can't do that, I'm not sure what the point of more SW movies would be. The main story has essentially been told. The Empire has been beaten. Han got the girl. We know aaaallllll about Darth Vader's childhood (and wasn't THAT entertaining :p). What would likely happen with a new SW film is the same-old same-old: some evil Sith lord will make trouble and some new Jedi will fight him. Haven't we seen that before? Several times? And not just on film, but in comics and books and video games?

Some people on the net are suggesting that Disney do a CG animated Star Wars film using the original characters and the original actors' voices. Now that kind of interests me. But Disney would never do it. That'd be too outside the box. This is Iger's Disney, not Walt's, after all.

Beholder

Looks like I've got some EU reading to catch up on. Beyond Shadows of the Empire, Timothy Zahn, and a few Dark Horse books, I haven't read much. Any suggestions on what to check out and what to avoid?

Jimmy Thick

Wow, this is shocking to say the least.

How many billions has Iger thrown around building and buying?

Wait, what about that announcement from that other guy, the one's Disney don't think is a valid competitor?

Jimmy Thick- Disney's cheap?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Wow, this is shocking to say the least.

How many billions has Iger thrown around building and buying?

Wait, what about that announcement from that other guy, the one's Disney don't think is a valid competitor?

Jimmy Thick- Disney's cheap?

I can buy a tennis racket but unless I do something with worth while I would not be a valid competitor. Same concept, different scenario.

Spike-in-Berlin

Remember: Wizarding World of Harry Potter doesn't take up that much real estate, but it's still a draw that people are structuring their vacations around. A big roll-out of a "Star Wars Land" that takes up, say, half of Echo Lake at DHS, including where Sounds Dangerous, Indiana Jones, and Backlot Express are now, plus Star Tours staying put, would be a huge national media story. There's actually a lot of space there (Epic Stunt Spectacular takes up a TON of space). It would be enough room for an immersive land, the size of WWHP or Carsland or FE. This could be the shot in the arm DHS needs, and it could raise attendance enough to justify further spending on the park.

Actually I was surprised how small it is, the only new build areas are Hogsmeade and the building for the FJ, all other areas are just the reimaged attractions that are now that dragon ride rollercoaster and Flight of the Hippogriff. A perfect example for a minimum of efforts and a maximum effect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom